GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UNC Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
UNC Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Feb 2018, 08:00
Hi!! Can you please evaluate my profile?

Indian Male
Class 10 : 95.6%
Class 12 : 95.2%
UnderGrad(2015) : 8.25/10
GMAT : 660(Q-43;V-38)
Planning to apply for 2019 intake.

Work Experience:
1. 24 months - a leading IT service provider; currently part of a 3 member team.
2. A couple of months in a state owned enterprise.

Have organized a number of events in college; involved in the complete build-up of events right from brainstorming names for the event to distribution of awards. Also have designed posters, banners and certificates as part of the events.
Community service : Few and far between; but planning on improving on this in the days to come.

I am planning on making a switch to a marketing career, specifically in the consumer goods sector and I feel that an MBA would help my cause. I plan on taking up the GMAT one more time.
Also would it be beneficial if I get some part time(say internship) experience in the marketing domain before I start my MBA? Or would an internship after a few years of full-time work be considered a negative?

Originally posted by Pr93sath on 22 Feb 2018, 07:37.
Last edited by Pr93sath on 22 Feb 2018, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
Re: UNC Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 07:55
Pr93sath
Since you are an Indian IT mail, you should have at least 740 to have a good chance of Interview call in Top 20 programs. So you need to work on GMAT.
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge
Re: UNC Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 08:20
Pr93sath wrote:

Indian Male

Work Experience:
1. 24 months - a leading IT service provider; currently part of a 3 member team.

Have organized a number of events in college; involved in the complete build-up of events right from brainstorming names for the event to distribution of awards. Also have designed posters, banners and certificates as part of the events.
Community service : Few and far between; but planning on improving on this in the days to come.

I am planning on making a switch to a marketing career, specifically in the consumer goods sector and I feel that an MBA would help my cause. I plan on taking up the GMAT one more time.
Also would it be beneficial if I get some part time(say internship) experience in the marketing domain before I start my MBA? Or would an internship after a few years of full-time work be considered a negative?

I'd say work for 1.5-2 more years and building on leadership roles and more responsibilities. Though, there is not much detailed here about your work experience, that is all on that front.
From GMAT, as mentioned earlier, of course, you need a lot more - like 720 to have a decent shot at T20 to T30 and 730+ for up to T20. Work on it hard.
Develop a solid reason why you want to switch careers. Did you experience something? What motivates you? And importantly, what you bring on the table, even though you are not working in that area at this time?
Volunteer / community services.. Where do I begin? A lot of people think that it is a checkbox to be ticked off by doing a few things here and there a year prior to MBA application and they are good! Don't fall for this man, don't. Unless it is something of high impact and strong leadership role, a short stint may not help you much - the AdCom can see it too. Community services are about commitment to a cause and to show that you care. Build on it a lot.

Finally, I am sure UNC is not the only school you are applying to. Learn about each one and see what they look for in a candidate.
As a fellow applicant put it nicely, "You have one story and one (or a few more) reason(s) to do what you want to do. You can't have different stories for different schools". I totally agree with that part and will add that, you can't have different stories, but you certainly can tell it differently to different people.
Learn those nuances.
Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 13:16
Pr93sath wrote:
In terms of looking at you for UNC- being an Indian male with a 660 for UNC Kenan-Flagler is a long road to walk... while it is never only one thing looked at-- The GMAT scores for Indian applicants is usually a bit higher than a school's avg GMAT and UNC's GMAT hovers a bit over 700. So given that you have the time-- I suggest you waltz over to the GMAT review sessions on this site and spend some time there so you can ideally have a score a bit closer to this avg when you do apply. The few more months of work can help-- given that you want to do marketing-- it could be good to get some work experience in that area--
and I do agree that giving some context about why you want to work in marketing could add some depth to your application. What sparked this interest? Then learn what UNC can do in marketing-- reach out to students from this link:

http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/studen ... eting-club

Also-- really try to build out your leadership and community service profile as this looks low at moment-- think about how you have had impact in your volunteer roles-- not just being in a club-- but getting something done!

Indian Male

Work Experience:

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2018, 22:03
Hello All,
I would like to have my profile evaluated. I just took the GMAT in June and am ready to apply for business school in Fall 2019. Here is my information:
GMAT: 710 (50Q/34V/6 IR) Have not received my AWA score yet
GPA: ~ 3.37 (over a 3.5 my last year)
Degree: BA Economics, UCLA. Transfer GPA - 3.8
Experience: 2 years as an analyst at a real estate investment company(1 year at current firm). Work in both acquisitions (acquired 3 hotels for $150mm since I started) and asset management (6 of our current hotels, and 135 hotels for a third party). Had previous internship experience in PWM.
Extracurricular: Over 700 hours working as a volunteer at the local hospital, as a tutor, and as a coach for middle school children. No experience in professional leadership/managerial roles. Was a member of Ski and Snowboard team in college. Mentor a student at UCLA. High School Valedictorian.
Background: Indian (born and raised in California). 25 years old. Typical middle class story for a kid in Orange County.
What I want from business school: First, I would like to work in finance, either in real estate acquisitions, PWM, or VC/PE. I would like to gain both the professional and personal skills that business school can provide. Finally, I need a change in my life.
Letters of Rec: Plan on asking my CIO and an Associate at my current company for my two recommendations. I also have my previous employer in case. Do not have a professor at UCLA I can ask since I did not spend a lot of time in office hours.
Other: The one issue which will make things difficult is that I was accused of cheating in college. I received academic probation and I'm sure I will have to discuss what happened. I would like some feedback whether this is a automatic red flag. It was a mistake and I've grown from it, but I am sure it will leave a mark.

Thank You,
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 17:27
Hi All, I am looking for a profile evaluation, below is a little bit about me. Please note that I do not plan on applying to an MBA program for a couple of years (2-3).

Background/Demographic: 22 year old male from US
GMAT: 700 (47-Q & 40-V)
Undergrad: Indiana University - Kelley School of Business. Major: Economic Consulting, GPA: 3.84
Experience: Just started working at Deloitte Consulting in project controller practice. Previously was a volunteer at the commodities futures trading commission
Extracurriculars: member of Phi Chi Theta Business Fraternity during undergrad, main community involvement has been with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Also, my main hobby is Jiu Jitsu. I have won a few local tournaments in Chicago, and help teach classes twice a week.
Other: International experience includes studying abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark
MBA goals: I aspire to start my own business, and hope that an MBA program will broaden my network as well as develop my leadership skill set.

Thanks!
Johnny
Re: UNC Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2018, 17:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 46 posts ] 

UNC Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: abhimahna

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap