It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 17:19
Hi there, and thanks for writing! While your GPA is low, the GMAT, CFA I, stats course, and HBX will definitely go a long way towards helping offset it. I would address the GPA in your Optional Essay, emphasizing that you've matured since then and hope that the AdCom will take the other academic indicators into account when assessing your abilities. It looks like you have progressive work experience as well. Do you have any involvements outside of work? That would add to your applcation as well. Overall, I think that you have a good shot, as long as you convey strong interest in the program and be sure to emphasize both your professional and personal impact on your resume and application. Best of luck!

the1whoknocks wrote:
Hi all! I would really like some insights about my profile:

- Male, brazilian, 32 yo
- Undergraduate in Business at a Top 3 brazilian school (plenty of alumni accepted by Top Business Schools)
- GPA: 2.6 (horrible, and no good reason)
- GMAT: 740
- CFA Level I

Work Experience:

- Capital Markets (Structured Finance) at a top local boutique (Real Estate focused)
* 4 years
* 3 promotions (from intern to Senior Analyst)
* Leading analyst in 8 projects (3 of them were really big ones)

- Capital Markets (Structured Finance) at a Start-Up (as a junior associate)
* 1 year
* Didn´t go well specially because of brazilian economic conditions at the time

- Capital Markets (Structured Finance) at a new boutique (Agribusiness focused)
* Junior Associate
* 2 years (until now)
* Company growing very fast
* Leading analyst of 4 projects

Extracurriculars:
* Writer at a blog focused on Political Education (8 articles published)
* 1 year working at a NGO focused on children education (led 2 new projects)

International Experience:
* 4 months working as a Sales Person at a clothing store in Las Vegas, US (during college vacation)
* 3 weeks studying spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina
* 2 weeks working ad a NGO (a organic farm) in Cape Town,South Africa

Other:
* Fluent spanish
* Short Course (graduate level) in Applied Statitics (at a top local college) - Final Grade: A
* HBx Core: Pass with High Honours

Post MBA objective:
* Investment Banking

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Concentration: Technology, Statistics
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.53
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Re: UCLA Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 10:54
Hi All!

Would love a profile review and any advice you can muster!

Work experience:
Data Analyst - 1.5 years at a boutique consulting firm specializing in healthcare compliance management. Learned tons about data and client deadlines. Picked up VBA and SQL.
Jr. BI Developer - 1 year at a mid-size tech firm specializing in ad tech. Got really good at SQL, picked up Tableau, and Python. Did some pretty cool analytics projects involving automation and segmentation.
BI Developer - (promoted) .5 years at same ad tech firm. Really good at Tableau and Tableau Server and better at Python. Started working with Linux. Started leading cross-functional teams through project life cycle: design, dev, feedback, implementation, and maintenance. Doing more high-impact analytics projects that are informing overall strategy. Projects are starting to incorporate more work from data science and data engineering teams.

Extra curriculars:
4 yrs rugby in college, was recruitment officer and led uni to first USA tournament, am active as an alumni organizer
4 years frat, was a philanthropy coordinator
self-published a mini novella online (to zero praise, but it was a great experience)
performs standup and improv monthly (haven't in a bit cuz of GMAT and essay writing)

Undergrad school/major:
Top 50 uni; econ and French; May 2014 grad
studied abroad in France
broke foot playing rugby senior year which might have dropped my gpa from 3.6 cuz I was a lil loopy in the fall due to pain meds

Race/nationality: White, US living in Phila
Sex: Male
Stats
GMAT Score 740: Q50 V 40 AWA 5.5, IR 6
Undergrad GPA: 3.53

MBA App Info
Goal of MBA: Short term - mgmt consulting to hone in on what makes effective tech strats for growth or resource utilization. Long term - Develop better leadership and analytics skills to eventually lead a strat and ops group at a major tech firm. Even Longer term - Maybe some type of non-profit org that teaches key computer techniques to under served areas in US.
Essays: focused on analytics, comedy, failure, searching for the authentic self
Recs: Strong, one from technical manager and one from VP both of whom I have v good relationships with and have been coaching through the rec letter process, will write about leadership and expertise
Why UCLA: strong tech connections in a lively city and I was really impressed by a few of their students who I reached out to, they felt UCLA gave them the tools they needed and I want me some of that ahah

Additional:
Most people from my company apply to grad school for stats, comp eng, and ops masters. There are a few MBA(s) in upper mgmt, but they weren't working here before they applied to MBA programs. Two Fox MBAers and the CEO is a Whartonite. CTO also has a cert from Tuck.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Re: UCLA Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2017, 10:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

UCLA Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mihir0710

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap