Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: UCLA Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mirelark you have more than a strong shot here if you do the application well
Great GMAT, good fit with UCLA with startup experience in the fashion industry
people management, good, and the community service piece is great
also not sure what the goals are all about but would recommend you nail down the specific post mba job working for X employer
or solving X problem for X population....get specific

mirelark wrote:
Background and nationality: Brazilian Female

Undergrad Information: BA in International Relations from top Brazilian University, spent one semester abroad in Mexico

GMAT: 730 49Q|40V

Work experience and leadership: helped opening the brazilian office of a tech/fashion startup 2.5y ago (just me + director) and worked on the growth of the office ever since. 2 promotions, currently manage a team of 2 and am the LATAM manager for my area.

Community and others: Red Cross International Volunteer working with refugees, mentoring undergrad students

Post MBA goals: internationalization/business development, transition into social impact

Anything else? Applying in round 1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: UCLA Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Thanks for your inputs mbaMissionNishaT and MBAPrepCoach, they are super helpful!
Clarifying my post-MBA goals, upon graduating I want to work with US-based businesses in their international expansion towards Brazil/LATAM, especially in the tech/social impact space. My ultimate career goal is to drive change in Brazil and tackle problems like access to education, and I believe I can do so while also generating value and profit for the companies that I work with. In my essays, I plan to explore what's driving this industry change for me and be specific about companies and initiatives.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
I recommend that you get specific with the goals mirelark: what problem are you solving and for who?
example for successful HBS applicant: I plan to start a nonprofit that uses big data to stop child trafficking
if you want to drive change, what is the problem and how do you plan to solve it?

mirelark wrote:
Thanks for your inputs mbaMissionNishaT and MBAPrepCoach, they are super helpful!
Clarifying my post-MBA goals, upon graduating I want to work with US-based businesses in their international expansion towards Brazil/LATAM, especially in the tech/social impact space. My ultimate career goal is to drive change in Brazil and tackle problems like access to education, and I believe I can do so while also generating value and profit for the companies that I work with. In my essays, I plan to explore what's driving this industry change for me and be specific about companies and initiatives.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Hi there!
It would be really helpful if you can evaluate my profile. Thanks in advance.

Age/ Gender/ Nationality: 26/ Male/ Indian

Education: BE Mech with a cgpa of 7.7/10 (non-IIT NIT). recently completed a 30 hr certificate course in finance.

Work Experience: 4.5 years as a mechanical engineer in a private engineering services company. was involved in R&d under a retired IIT prof. Lead a team of 4 individuals, all of them elder to me.

Extra curriculars: Was active in plays during college. Also some sporadic volunteer activities that involved creating environmental awareness to kids in schools hrough plays, organising cultural events for kids from orphanages throughout the city etc. Captain of a local futsal team.

GMAT: 720

Post MBA: Finance

Short term goal is I would like to get a job as financial analyst, preferably in the valuation depts. Continuing and growing up the corporate ladder would be my long term goal.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there, and thanks for writing! Your academics are within the range for Anderson, although Top 15 programs are very competitive for Indian applicants so if you are able to tack on 10+ points, even better. It's great that you manage a team of 4 at work - if your work experience shows high impact, that will work in your favor. Extacurriculars are on the weaker side, but definitely show on your resume to the extent possible the contribution you've made in these activities. Best of luck!

MikeHelios wrote:
Hi there!
It would be really helpful if you can evaluate my profile. Thanks in advance.

Age/ Gender/ Nationality: 26/ Male/ Indian

Education: BE Mech with a cgpa of 7.7/10 (non-IIT NIT). recently completed a 30 hr certificate course in finance.

Work Experience: 4.5 years as a mechanical engineer in a private engineering services company. was involved in R&d under a retired IIT prof. Lead a team of 4 individuals, all of them elder to me.

Extra curriculars: Was active in plays during college. Also some sporadic volunteer activities that involved creating environmental awareness to kids in schools hrough plays, organising cultural events for kids from orphanages throughout the city etc. Captain of a local futsal team.

GMAT: 720

Post MBA: Finance

Short term goal is I would like to get a job as financial analyst, preferably in the valuation depts. Continuing and growing up the corporate ladder would be my long term goal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi,
Sharing my profile

High school/intermediate- 90+ percentage, merit scholar, top 0.1% in country
Nationality - India
UG- Btech,
Merit Scholar,
WE- FAANG

GMAT- yet to give (expected 720+ basis CAT)

Pl suggest about my profile's match with ucla and/or other business schools in top 20.

Sent from my Redmi 6 Pro using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Originally posted by worstseasonever on 23 Sep 2018, 07:40.
Last edited by worstseasonever on 26 Oct 2020, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi - you have a strong GPA, but I would need more info on your work experience/progression, extracurricular involvement, and post-MBA goals to assess your profile for Anderson. Thanks!

27ak wrote:
Hi,
Sharing my profile

Nationality - India
UG- Btech, NIT W( among top 10 in India)GP- 8.1/10
Merit Scholar, Founded a startup for ecommerce in campus,
Designed and Developed a product as a part of a two year minors program at Indian School of Business

WE- Amazon Operations - Area manager (will be 2 years till application)
Leading a team 1000+ reportees, handling day2 day operations, working on data analysis simultaneously.

Pl suggest about my profile's match with ucla and/or other business schools in top 20.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="mbaMissionNishaT"]Hi - you have a strong GPA, but I would need more info on your work experience/progression, extracurricular involvement, and post-MBA goals to assess your profile for Anderson. Thanks!

Originally posted by worstseasonever on 26 Sep 2018, 21:01.
Last edited by worstseasonever on 26 Oct 2020, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Two years is a bit low for Anderson and other top U.S. schools, so I'd suggest waiting another year or two. Given how competitive Anderson and its peer schools are for Indian applicants, aim for a GMAT score of 720+. Also, you had some great extracurricular involvement in college - are you still involved with that organization since it is going strong today? If not, if you can find a way to continue being involved (as a mentor, etc.) or getting involved in another activity outside of work, that would benefit your profile.

Regarding your goals - VC is very difficult to get into post-MBA (especially without prior finance and startup experience). Regarding entrepreneurial goals, make sure you're clear on what drives them and how an MBA will prepare you to meet your goals.

Hope that helps a bit!

27ak wrote:
mbaMissionNishaT wrote:
Hi - you have a strong GPA, but I would need more info on your work experience/progression, extracurricular involvement, and post-MBA goals to assess your profile for Anderson. Thanks!

27ak wrote:
Hi,
Sharing my profile

Nationality - India
UG- Btech, NIT W( among top 10 in India)GP- 8.1/10
Merit Scholar, Founded a startup for ecommerce in campus,
Designed and Developed a product as a part of a two year minors program at Indian School of Business

WE- Amazon Operations - Area manager (will be 2 years till application)
Leading a team 1000+ reportees, handling day2 day operations, working on data analysis simultaneously.

Post Mba goals- entrepreneurial ventures/ jobs in such companies or VC
Work Experience/Progression- working as an area manager in amazon--2 years, rolled out 2 national level projects affecting all amazon customers, selected as subject matter expert among all operation executives,

Founded a ecommerce startup in college for college students & also founded a business club - now successfully running in its 5th year with 60+members-getting funding from alumni

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi All,

Could you let me know if I stand a chance at UCLA... My credentials are:

Nationality - Indian

Undergraduate - Engineering - 3.2 GPA

Work Experience - 7.5 years + - 3 years in a IT company as a software developer, Co-founder of 2 startups - both in content space - first one is in the news and journalism space, 2nd one is in Indian regional language space. Had successfully driven millions of page views in monthly traffic for these websites. Taking an exit now. Going through that stress right now.

First start-up had a team of 30 people - worked on marketing, business development and operations ( had to shutdown this one - had to fire a lot of people)

Second start up - a team of 10 - worked on marketing, business development and technology development. ( difference of opinion with my co-founder).

Career goals - I am working on my next idea, but cannot start it immediately.(its a longterm shot). Would like to work in consulting and tech space for some time and then start my venture.

Community work - Both my start-ups are kind of social entrepreneurial ventures ---- always tried solving the problems of communities

Why MBA - Though working on my start-ups had given me a vast experience there are certain obvious lacunae that I possess. I had done things in a certain way. I want to go for a full-time MBA course to unlearn some of the things that I did wrong in my journey and learn from the best.

Why UCLA - Because of its pedigree, its focus on communities and Leadership with values.

GMAT - 710.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Hi everyone! This is a great threat and I'm really grateful to the community on gmatclub during my MBA journey. I would appreciate an evaluation on my profile! UCLA is my #1 choice

Female, Asian American, 29 yrs old, finance risk consulting @ PwC
GMAT: 650 (1st attempt/practice, (retaking with goal of 700+)
Education: Emory University, 3.3 GPA (but it declined as years went on...3.5 down to 3.1 with C in quant classes. No excuse I was just dumb and thought I was secure once I landed by JPM internship junior yr)

Professional Experience:
Consultant @ PwC, banking and capital markets risk & regulation (New York)
Advising all the large banks (Citi, UBS, MS, etc) on risk management, capital planning and stress testing (CCAR/DFAST)
Top performance rating every year
3.5 yrs

Financial advisor @ boutique private wealth mgmt firm (New York)
Increased managed revenue $0 to $90 million in 9 months
1.5 yrs

Credit analyst JP Morgan Commercial banking (Atlanta)
Credit underwriting for mid-sized companies across multiple industries
2 yrs

Career goals
: Entertainment industry, strategy/operations
Personal: All family is in California, so very important for me to go to school and take my career to the west coast
Why UCLA: Best program for entertainment/media specialty, physical proximity to industry, and opportunity to live close to my family

Thank you everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
27-year-old American, a dual citizen of Thailand
Graduated from a top 20 university - accounting and finance major 3.5 GPA | Have my CPA license
5 years WE - 1.5 years in Public Accounting, 3.5 years in M&A Consulting
Have two board seats and very active in my local community | I am a Leadership & Philanthropy fellow of a well-known organization
319 GRE (161Q 157V) - have taken it twice, plan on retaking in December

Applied ED to CBS and was denied...now considering Anderson...Do i have a chance of getting in?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there, and thanks for writing! Given the competitive demographic from which you're applying and your academics, I think UCLA will be a reach. Also, looks like you have over 10 years of work experience, correct? While this isn't necessarily a red flag since every year schools accept some very experienced candidates, you would have to show in your applications why NOW is the right time for an MBA. Also, you'll want to narrow down your goals to consulting OR tech, whichever one you find most compelling and as a stepping stone to your LT goals. Hope that helps a bit!

brainicecool wrote:
Hi All,

Could you let me know if I stand a chance at UCLA... My credentials are:

Nationality - Indian

Undergraduate - Engineering - 3.2 GPA

Work Experience - 7.5 years + - 3 years in a IT company as a software developer, Co-founder of 2 startups - both in content space - first one is in the news and journalism space, 2nd one is in Indian regional language space. Had successfully driven millions of page views in monthly traffic for these websites. Taking an exit now. Going through that stress right now.

First start-up had a team of 30 people - worked on marketing, business development and operations ( had to shutdown this one - had to fire a lot of people)

Second start up - a team of 10 - worked on marketing, business development and technology development. ( difference of opinion with my co-founder).

Career goals - I am working on my next idea, but cannot start it immediately.(its a longterm shot). Would like to work in consulting and tech space for some time and then start my venture.

Community work - Both my start-ups are kind of social entrepreneurial ventures ---- always tried solving the problems of communities

Why MBA - Though working on my start-ups had given me a vast experience there are certain obvious lacunae that I possess. I had done things in a certain way. I want to go for a full-time MBA course to unlearn some of the things that I did wrong in my journey and learn from the best.

Why UCLA - Because of its pedigree, its focus on communities and Leadership with values.

GMAT - 710.

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there, and thanks for writing! Looks like you have some solid work experience and that, given your high performance ratings, you'll have great recommendations. It's wise that you're taking the GMAT again and targeting 700+ to get closer to UCLA's range. While your GPA isn't terribly low, you will want to address your grades pattern in the optional essay, in a way that conveys responsibility and ownership. Are you involved in extracurriculars or other outside patterns? This would strengthen your application. Additionally, make sure you explain clearly WHY you want to join the entertainment/media industry and what drives you - AdCom wants to understand your motivations and how your professional/personal experiences have led to this choice. Hope that helps! :-)

mfl6189 wrote:
Hi everyone! This is a great threat and I'm really grateful to the community on gmatclub during my MBA journey. I would appreciate an evaluation on my profile! UCLA is my #1 choice

Female, Asian American, 29 yrs old, finance risk consulting @ PwC
GMAT: 650 (1st attempt/practice, (retaking with goal of 700+)
Education: Emory University, 3.3 GPA (but it declined as years went on...3.5 down to 3.1 with C in quant classes. No excuse I was just dumb and thought I was secure once I landed by JPM internship junior yr)

Professional Experience:
Consultant @ PwC, banking and capital markets risk & regulation (New York)
Advising all the large banks (Citi, UBS, MS, etc) on risk management, capital planning and stress testing (CCAR/DFAST)
3.5 yrs

Financial advisor @ boutique private wealth mgmt firm (New York)
Increased managed revenue $0 to $90 million in 9 months
1.5 yrs

Credit analyst JP Morgan Commercial banking (Atlanta)
Credit underwriting for mid-sized companies across multiple industries
2 yrs

Career goals
: Entertainment industry, strategy/operations
Personal: All family is in California, so very important for me to go to school and take my career to the west coast
Why UCLA: Best program for entertainment/media specialty, physical proximity to industry, and opportunity to live close to my family

Thank you everyone!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there, and thanks for writing! Sounds like you have good work experience (as long as you've had progression in your roles), great extracurricular involvement, and good academics. It's good that you're retaking GMAT - I'd aim for 160+ on both sections. If you're able to do that and make a very strong case for why UCLA and what motivates your career goals (which you haven't mentioned here), then I think you have a decent chance. Hope that helps!

dre1091 wrote:
27-year-old American, a dual citizen of Thailand
Graduated from a top 20 university - accounting and finance major 3.5 GPA | Have my CPA license
5 years WE - 1.5 years in Public Accounting, 3.5 years in M&A Consulting
Have two board seats and very active in my local community | I am a Leadership & Philanthropy fellow of a well-known organization
319 GRE (161Q 157V) - have taken it twice, plan on retaking in December

Applied ED to CBS and was denied...now considering Anderson...Do i have a chance of getting in?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.33
WE:Public Relations (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Intake Year: 2019

Pre-MBA Career: Public Relations and Communications
Post-MBA Career: Consumer Goods (Marketing and Brand Management)
GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.3
Years of Work Experience: 2

Notes: My GMAT score breakdown is: (710- Q: 49 and V: 38).

A brief on my background: I have worked for two years in a top-notch international PR and Communications agency (post my under-grad) in Mumbai and served a plethora of MNCs and large scale conglomerates across corporate and consumer verticals in those two years. I was among the youngest people at the agency and was promoted within a year of working there. I have also actively helped in crisis and reputation management for one of the largest corporate crisis in India during my stint at the agency, and truly believe that my quality of work experience has been great over the past two years.

I specialised in PR during my undergrad and carried out five internships successfully during the same time. Three at non-profit organizations and two at industry-specific agencies. Through school, college and work, I have always taken up roles of responsibility and leadership, actively looked out for and asked for opportunities and always showcased the urge to learn.

Additionally, I have always actively participated in extra-curriculars at school and college and performed extremely well academically. I would like to do an MBA with a major in marketing, from a top B-school in the US specifically, so as to add to my experience of PR and communications and achieve concentric growth around my core competencies. Furthermore, coming from a advertising and PR background, I have a fair understanding of the changing communication landscape and would like to deep dive into understanding brand management, disruptive marketing and ways to break through the current clutter to create an impact or spearhead behavioural change.

That aside, in the long run I would like to join the C-suite of an MNC, lead from the forefront and create a lasting impact on the society using my position. However, to get there, I do believe that it is important for me to venture out into relatively new territories for me, i.e. finance, accounting, sustainability, micro-economics and macroeconomics among the others. Hence the MBA.

Furthermore, why the MBA now? Well, because I want to make the switch from the agency side to the corporate side now, and no better way to bridge the gap than do an MBA that would provide me with a holistic understanding of the other side, before I step into it.

Starting today, I have about 50 days till the round 2 deadline to get my essays in place. Does UCLA seem like a good option and what are my chances basis my profile?

Note: By matriculation, it would be about 2 years and 7/8 months of work experience
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi - I see that you posted the same profile on the Ross boards. Please see my comments there.

manavivarma wrote:
Intake Year: 2019

Pre-MBA Career: Public Relations and Communications
Post-MBA Career: Consumer Goods (Marketing and Brand Management)
GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.3
Years of Work Experience: 2

Notes: My GMAT score breakdown is: (710- Q: 49 and V: 38).

A brief on my background: I have worked for two years in a top-notch international PR and Communications agency (post my under-grad) in Mumbai and served a plethora of MNCs and large scale conglomerates across corporate and consumer verticals in those two years. I was among the youngest people at the agency and was promoted within a year of working there. I have also actively helped in crisis and reputation management for one of the largest corporate crisis in India during my stint at the agency, and truly believe that my quality of work experience has been great over the past two years.

I specialised in PR during my undergrad and carried out five internships successfully during the same time. Three at non-profit organizations and two at industry-specific agencies. Through school, college and work, I have always taken up roles of responsibility and leadership, actively looked out for and asked for opportunities and always showcased the urge to learn.

Additionally, I have always actively participated in extra-curriculars at school and college and performed extremely well academically. I would like to do an MBA with a major in marketing, from a top B-school in the US specifically, so as to add to my experience of PR and communications and achieve concentric growth around my core competencies. Furthermore, coming from a advertising and PR background, I have a fair understanding of the changing communication landscape and would like to deep dive into understanding brand management, disruptive marketing and ways to break through the current clutter to create an impact or spearhead behavioural change.

That aside, in the long run I would like to join the C-suite of an MNC, lead from the forefront and create a lasting impact on the society using my position. However, to get there, I do believe that it is important for me to venture out into relatively new territories for me, i.e. finance, accounting, sustainability, micro-economics and macroeconomics among the others. Hence the MBA.

Furthermore, why the MBA now? Well, because I want to make the switch from the agency side to the corporate side now, and no better way to bridge the gap than do an MBA that would provide me with a holistic understanding of the other side, before I step into it.

Starting today, I have about 50 days till the round 2 deadline to get my essays in place. Does UCLA seem like a good option and what are my chances basis my profile?

Note: By matriculation, it would be about 2 years and 7/8 months of work experience
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9