GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Please evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 02:39
Kindly evaluate my profile
Indian, Male, Age-28
Under grad- Mechanical Engineering, College- BITS Pilani Goa, CGPA-7.75/10
Internships- at a Public Sector Aluminium production Company for 2 months, another six months at a small company making material handing equipment.
Worked as full time Mechanical Engineer at a plant in India's one of the top Tyre manufacturing company for 5 months.
Presently, working in Central Govt., India in anti-corruption unit. My work involves instituting disciplinary proceedings against charged officers and examining complaints to find if any corruption has taken place. I took part in proceedings in High Court & Tribunal and discussed cases with lawyers on behalf of govt. I have been working in anti-corruption unit for more than 2.5 years now.
I was pursuing my masters at one of the top IITs but could not complete it. Which MBA colleges should I target? (I have not given gmat yet, may score around 700)

Posted from my mobile device
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Please evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 07:50
Hi senti23,

Thank you for your post. It's really quite difficult to say without knowing your GMAT score and what geographies you'd be considering. For strong baseline context, I encourage you to read through the links below. With a 700 GMAT score and strong application execution, you'd potentially line up somewhere in the top 30-50 range among U.S. programs. Targeting a GMAT score of about 30 points above the average for whatever programs you're considering is a decent rule of thumb. That doesn't get you in, of course, but it helps align you from a GMAT score perspective so that the rest of your application (essays, resume, recommendations, etc.) can try to convince the admissions committee.

One challenge/opportunity I see for you is your work experience. You'll really have to develop your career goals and show how mechanical engineering plus anti-corruption plus an MBA equals or leads to your goals. Using the MBA to transition is very common, but still, what relevance can be extracted from your experiences to this point? Those experiences feel somewhat haphazard and unrelated on their face. You'll really need to develop the specificity of your goals, connect the dots, and weave a narrative between your experiences. (I say challenge and *opportunity* because I think the anti-corruption work can make for some interesting stories. But you'll still need to connect the dots.)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-admissio ... 39142.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-indian-m ... 56968.html

https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 08:30
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Yes, my career has indeed been a roller coaster and it would be a challenge to weave a story out of it.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 08:33
A challenge *on its face* -- meaning once you determine the specificity of your career goals, you will want to be able to explain how the journey to this point transpired the way it did, and how, even if you are changing careers, certain elements of are still super relevant toward your goals. The knowledge, skills, and experience gaps you have toward those goals will be filled via the MBA, which you will want to explain very specifically in your essays and applications (including how exactly you'll fill them at each school... courses, clubs, extracurriculars, special programs, location, community, culture, career opportunities, etc.). But don't feel shy about that roller coaster. It's your story and yours only, and there is a compelling personal and professional narrative there to be woven!

senti23 wrote:
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Yes, my career has indeed been a roller coaster and it would be a challenge to weave a story out of it.

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please evaluate my profile &nbs [#permalink] 04 Oct 2018, 08:33

Please evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap