GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please Evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Please Evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2019, 09:50
Bio: Age 27, Male, USA.

GMAT: 710 (Q46, V41, IR 8, AWA 6) ,

Education: [/b]Bachelor of Science in Finance with a 3.5 GPA from a top 30 US School with a minor in Entrepreneurship.
Education # 2: Master in Information Systems and Operations Management from Top 30 school with 3.33 GPA

Research: Performed portfolio construction research during undergrad for a professor in the finance dept. (1 year)
Research #2: Performed benchmarking analysis during graduate school for the head of the information systems dept. (1 year)

Work Experience: 3 years full-time work experience at a mid-sized Management Consulting firm in NYC. Promoted once. Lead a small team.

Extracurriculars: I was a Teaching Assistant during my undergraduate and graduate years for the International Business dept. (3 years). Also I was a member of the club baseball team at my school and helped organize our school's homecoming parade. After University I have been involved in the intern process at my company by helping coordinate events and mentoring prospective employees.

Volunteer Experience: During my university years I volunteered at the boys and girls club of America. After university I volunteered in NYC as a little league coach and also continued to volunteer at the Boys and Girls club.

Letters of Recommendation: Will have no problem getting letters of rec from either superiors at consulting firm or professors in the Finance and Information Systems Dept. at my University

Post MBA Goals: After my MBA I plan to either go back to management consulting or open up my own consulting firm. I also have a passion for sports and would love to work in the front office of a major US sports team. I hope to leverage the connections that I make during my MBA as a way to advance my career and also I really value the experience of being around like-minded peers.

Target Schools: Harvard, Penn, Stanford, Yale, Dartmouth, Columbia Cornell, Duke.

Thank you for your support and I am looking forward to hearing your advice.

Best regards,
Michael
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Please Evaluate my profile  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 13:52
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your posts. At present, I would say there is a good bit of work for you to do here. If you're from an overrepresented demographic (as a consultant, you are already are from a professional standpoint), then almost all of the schools you've listed are unfortunately going to be very difficult or out of reach. With much improved goals and superb application execution, I could maybe see you putting up a fighting chance at Fuqua or Johnson, but those would still be no picnic.

GMAT SCORE

My first advice would be to try boost your GMAT score (and within that, to improve your Q score, which right now is only in the 58th percentile). As a consultant applying to these schools, you are going be up against a whole lot of candidates coming from blue-chip firms with GMAT scores of 740+, unique post-college leadership / community engagement, and really clear goals and reasons for pursuing an MBA. The middle 80% GMAT ranges at most of the schools you've listed is 700 to 760, so applying from the back end of that range without differentiating factors elsewhere is extremely difficult. (Even if you were to boost your score to 740+, HBS and Stanford would still be moonshots, as they are for almost everybody, and Wharton / Columbia would be very, very difficult.)

INVOLVEMENT AND CAREER GOALS

Beyond your GMAT score, your extracurriculars and career goals can stand to improve. Most of your ECs look like they come from college, which is "nice" but not as compelling as super deep involvement, leadership, and impact in your post-college professional years. Your goals -- and why MBA, why now, how exactly an MBA and each school enables those goals -- also need to be way more focused and specific. (At present they seem quite scattered. The nice thing is that you can work on those... I encourage you to read this blog post for more detailed advice on that.)

GET TO KNOW THE SCHOOLS

Finally, I encourage you to really read up on the schools that you're considering. You eventually have to get to know at a super deep level to make your case for how each school enables your goals, how exactly you'd contribute, and to articulate your "fit." You'll need to get know specific courses, clubs, special programs, conferences, case competitions, culture, community, recruiting opportunities, etc. and build a specific narrative around all of that. (Where and how exactly this manifests in applications depends on the school.) Moreover, you will be exposed to some of the fundamentals of applying, like some of the school profile elements that I referenced above (which help you figure out how you line up). Also note that most schools explicitly do not want academic recommendations.

Right now, I see more school alignment for you in the T17 to T25 range, with the back end of the T20 still tough, and your chances in that whole range still highly contingent on strong application execution (in line with the above). You could include a couple of reaches above that range and some down-ranking schools below it, depending on your exact preferences. If you boost your GMAT score in line with the above, you can potentially calibrate that alignment up to the T9/10 to T16 range, but again, your career goals, why MBA, and why XYZ school narrative will need to be significantly enhanced in order to convert.

HAPPY TO CHAT

I realize this outlook might shake-up what you currently had in mind, but the goal here is to provide as honest an assessment as possible. If you have any questions or would ever like to chat, please feel free to email me at greg@avantiprep.com or sign up for a Free Consultation via this link: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html. Yes, there's a lot to do, but you can definitely make major strides forward, and I'd be happy to talk through how to go about it.

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 13:58
Hello thank you for your response. Does the High IR score do anything to help with the lower quant score?
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 14:06
It's better to have an 8 on IR than to not have it, but unfortunately it does not really mitigate the Q

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please Evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2019, 14:06

Please Evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep