GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 19:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 322
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 23:29
Hi Powarparamveer,

Good to hear from you. Great EC's. This will be a value add to your application.

With regards to your overall candidature, this is what I see:

1) You belong to a crowded applicant category.
2) Your GMAT is in line for what is expected for Rotman. However, as a member of a competitive applicant pool (Indian IT Guys), a higher GMAT will be beneficial. GPA is about average - though I don't think it will have a huge impact - positive or negative.
3) With regards to your work experience, it is good that you have been promoted frequently. That shows that your company values your contribution. The question here is - how does this track record compare with that of your peers?
4) What kind of products have you built? How does it connect with your target industry? How relevant is your current area of application to the business world, to your target industry, and to the MBA experience in gerenal?
5) What about your leadership at work?

Your answers to 3, 4 and 5 above will determine the strength of your application to Rotman. Outside of Rotman, you should be able to consider most top Canadian Business Schools.

All the best. Feel free to reach out using the link below if you wish to talk to us.

Best
Karthik

powarparamveer wrote:
Hi

I belong to the Indian IT male category. I took my GMAT in may 2016 and scored 690(V40,Q44). This was my 3rd and best attempt at GMAT.

My profile is as follows:
1) Total work experience of 5 years with a product based Japanese company in Bangalore as Senior Software Engineer. Got 3 promotions in 5 years.
2) Got 9 months of international experience as I worked onsite in Japan. I worked in strategy based role in Japan and my work was to negotiate with Japanese clients on release dates of my product and features to be accomodated. I also used to work on risk management . I also had to negotiate with Australian clients for coordination. Also, I got my first official managerial experience during my stay in Japan as I had to manage my offshore team of 13 members and check the progress of work. I also had to coordinate between onsite and offshore members.
3) Studied in top 25 engineering colleges in India and got GPA 7.5
4) Got 86% in 10th standard and 84% in 12th standard

Extra curriculars:
1) Played cricket tournaments for company.
2) I made a lot of contributions in Japan by promoting game of cricket. I used to represent Shizouka prefecture(Tokai area) in cricket and played in Japan Cup(national level cricket tournament in Japan) too. I used to play in a diverse team with players from Australia, Japan, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka along with Indians. We also encouraged Japanese people to get involved in cricket. At start, there was only one Japanese who used to play for us. By the end of my term in Japan, we had almost four Japanese people playing for us.
3) I, along with my teammates, also made contributions to Japanese society by setting up our cricket club in Japan. We also raised funds of approximately 1,000,000 yen with the help of Japanese government(local City Halls) to purchase cricket equipment for our team and setup cricket grounds. Also, with the help of Japanese government, we were able to setup two cricket grounds in Japan where our club can practice cricket and the game can be promoted among locals too. We were handed over the possession of one of the grounds last year and the work of the second ground is still in progress.
4) Learnt N5 level Japanese. I am able to read, write and understand basic Japanese.
5) Worked for approx 2 years for different NGO's.
6) Represent my team in office while discussing issues faced by team infront of higher management.

Can you please let me know my chances in Rotman?
If not Rotman, what are the other options in Canada that will be best for my profile and score?

_________________
Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 686
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 23:45
Hello powarparamveer

You have a decent shot at Ivey, Queen's(Kingston) or UBC.
As I said, though not a deal breaker it is just your GMAT that makes your profile slightly 'iffy' apart from that good chances at Canadian schools.
No doubt execution of essays/LOR/interview is key.
All the Best

Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com
_________________
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 64
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.5
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 23:51
AugustAcademy wrote:
Hi Powarparamveer,

Good to hear from you. Great EC's. This will be a value add to your application.

With regards to your overall candidature, this is what I see:

1) You belong to a crowded applicant category.
2) Your GMAT is in line for what is expected for Rotman. However, as a member of a competitive applicant pool (Indian IT Guys), a higher GMAT will be beneficial. GPA is about average - though I don't think it will have a huge impact - positive or negative.
3) With regards to your work experience, it is good that you have been promoted frequently. That shows that your company values your contribution. The question here is - how does this track record compare with that of your peers?
4) What kind of products have you built? How does it connect with your target industry? How relevant is your current area of application to the business world, to your target industry, and to the MBA experience in gerenal?
5) What about your leadership at work?

Your answers to 3, 4 and 5 above will determine the strength of your application to Rotman. Outside of Rotman, you should be able to consider most top Canadian Business Schools.

All the best. Feel free to reach out using the link below if you wish to talk to us.

Best
Karthik

powarparamveer wrote:
Hi

I belong to the Indian IT male category. I took my GMAT in may 2016 and scored 690(V40,Q44). This was my 3rd and best attempt at GMAT.

My profile is as follows:
1) Total work experience of 5 years with a product based Japanese company in Bangalore as Senior Software Engineer. Got 3 promotions in 5 years.
2) Got 9 months of international experience as I worked onsite in Japan. I worked in strategy based role in Japan and my work was to negotiate with Japanese clients on release dates of my product and features to be accomodated. I also used to work on risk management . I also had to negotiate with Australian clients for coordination. Also, I got my first official managerial experience during my stay in Japan as I had to manage my offshore team of 13 members and check the progress of work. I also had to coordinate between onsite and offshore members.
3) Studied in top 25 engineering colleges in India and got GPA 7.5
4) Got 86% in 10th standard and 84% in 12th standard

Extra curriculars:
1) Played cricket tournaments for company.
2) I made a lot of contributions in Japan by promoting game of cricket. I used to represent Shizouka prefecture(Tokai area) in cricket and played in Japan Cup(national level cricket tournament in Japan) too. I used to play in a diverse team with players from Australia, Japan, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka along with Indians. We also encouraged Japanese people to get involved in cricket. At start, there was only one Japanese who used to play for us. By the end of my term in Japan, we had almost four Japanese people playing for us.
3) I, along with my teammates, also made contributions to Japanese society by setting up our cricket club in Japan. We also raised funds of approximately 1,000,000 yen with the help of Japanese government(local City Halls) to purchase cricket equipment for our team and setup cricket grounds. Also, with the help of Japanese government, we were able to setup two cricket grounds in Japan where our club can practice cricket and the game can be promoted among locals too. We were handed over the possession of one of the grounds last year and the work of the second ground is still in progress.
4) Learnt N5 level Japanese. I am able to read, write and understand basic Japanese.
5) Worked for approx 2 years for different NGO's.
6) Represent my team in office while discussing issues faced by team infront of higher management.

Can you please let me know my chances in Rotman?
If not Rotman, what are the other options in Canada that will be best for my profile and score?


Hi Kartik

Thanks a lot for evaluating my profile. Please find the answers for the questions 3,4 and 5 below:
3) With regards to your work experience, it is good that you have been promoted frequently. That shows that your company values your contribution. The question here is - how does this track record compare with that of your peers?
>> The promotions in our company are relative, If you perform better than the others, then you get promoted more frequently. I got promoted 3 times in 5 years and these were more frequent promotions compared to my peers. Also, I got the opportunity to go to Japan in a strategic based role to negotiate with my clients. This is something usually done by senior management and people with above 10 years of work exp. I got this opportunity purely on merit basis.
4) What kind of products have you built? How does it connect with your target industry? How relevant is your current area of application to the business world, to your target industry, and to the MBA experience in gerenal?
I have built softwares for Printers. As I want to become product manager, I need full ownership of the product I am working on: from technical to business side. So, I am looking for an MBA to act as a bridge between my existing technical experience and the business acumen I aspire for. I will working as a product manager in a product based company(that develops printers) after my MBA.
5) What about your leadership at work?
During my onsite stay in Japan, I got my first official managerial experience during my stay in Japan as I had to manage my offshore team of 13 members and check the progress of work. I also had to coordinate between onsite and offshore members. Other than this experience, I have represented my team infront of senior management to discuss the issues my team is facing at work. Also, there are some other instance when I had taken unofficially the leadership role to get work done on time.

Outside Rotman, I am planning to apply to Ivey, Queens,McGill and UBC in Canada? Do you think these would be good choices?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 64
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.5
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 23:53
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello powarparamveer

You have a decent shot at Ivey, Queen's(Kingston) or UBC.
As I said, though not a deal breaker it is just your GMAT that makes your profile slightly 'iffy' apart from that good chances at Canadian schools.
No doubt execution of essays/LOR/interview is key.
All the Best

Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


Hi Varun,

Thanks a lot for the help again.
I will surely try to put in a lot of efforts on the application for the above colleges.
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 322
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 00:15
Hi powarparamveer,

I'm happy with your answers to (3) and (5). (4) needs a bit more work. Your goal will be very niche as the industry is very niche. Also, your current industry is not in trend (let's say like finTech or edTech) - so the glamour aspect will be missing in your application.

No worries - you are mostly there. Just know this about your goals, and stretch yourself a bit more about what you want to do post-MBA. Your current industry might not help your application. So it is all about drawing out transferable skills, and relating that to your future goals.

The other schools you mention should be good targets.

Best,
Karthik

powarparamveer wrote:
Hi Kartik

Thanks a lot for evaluating my profile. Please find the answers for the questions 3,4 and 5 below:
3) With regards to your work experience, it is good that you have been promoted frequently. That shows that your company values your contribution. The question here is - how does this track record compare with that of your peers?
>> The promotions in our company are relative, If you perform better than the others, then you get promoted more frequently. I got promoted 3 times in 5 years and these were more frequent promotions compared to my peers. Also, I got the opportunity to go to Japan in a strategic based role to negotiate with my clients. This is something usually done by senior management and people with above 10 years of work exp. I got this opportunity purely on merit basis.
4) What kind of products have you built? How does it connect with your target industry? How relevant is your current area of application to the business world, to your target industry, and to the MBA experience in gerenal?
I have built softwares for Printers. As I want to become product manager, I need full ownership of the product I am working on: from technical to business side. So, I am looking for an MBA to act as a bridge between my existing technical experience and the business acumen I aspire for. I will working as a product manager in a product based company(that develops printers) after my MBA.
5) What about your leadership at work?
During my onsite stay in Japan, I got my first official managerial experience during my stay in Japan as I had to manage my offshore team of 13 members and check the progress of work. I also had to coordinate between onsite and offshore members. Other than this experience, I have represented my team infront of senior management to discuss the issues my team is facing at work. Also, there are some other instance when I had taken unofficially the leadership role to get work done on time.

Outside Rotman, I am planning to apply to Ivey, Queens,McGill and UBC in Canada? Do you think these would be good choices?

_________________
Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 64
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.5
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 00:19
AugustAcademy wrote:
Hi powarparamveer,

I'm happy with your answers to (3) and (5). (4) needs a bit more work. Your goal will be very niche as the industry is very niche. Also, your current industry is not in trend (let's say like finTech or edTech) - so the glamour aspect will be missing in your application.

No worries - you are mostly there. Just know this about your goals, and stretch yourself a bit more about what you want to do post-MBA. Your current industry might not help your application. So it is all about drawing out transferable skills, and relating that to your future goals.

The other schools you mention should be good targets.

Best,
Karthik

powarparamveer wrote:
Hi Kartik

Thanks a lot for evaluating my profile. Please find the answers for the questions 3,4 and 5 below:
3) With regards to your work experience, it is good that you have been promoted frequently. That shows that your company values your contribution. The question here is - how does this track record compare with that of your peers?
>> The promotions in our company are relative, If you perform better than the others, then you get promoted more frequently. I got promoted 3 times in 5 years and these were more frequent promotions compared to my peers. Also, I got the opportunity to go to Japan in a strategic based role to negotiate with my clients. This is something usually done by senior management and people with above 10 years of work exp. I got this opportunity purely on merit basis.
4) What kind of products have you built? How does it connect with your target industry? How relevant is your current area of application to the business world, to your target industry, and to the MBA experience in gerenal?
I have built softwares for Printers. As I want to become product manager, I need full ownership of the product I am working on: from technical to business side. So, I am looking for an MBA to act as a bridge between my existing technical experience and the business acumen I aspire for. I will working as a product manager in a product based company(that develops printers) after my MBA.
5) What about your leadership at work?
During my onsite stay in Japan, I got my first official managerial experience during my stay in Japan as I had to manage my offshore team of 13 members and check the progress of work. I also had to coordinate between onsite and offshore members. Other than this experience, I have represented my team infront of senior management to discuss the issues my team is facing at work. Also, there are some other instance when I had taken unofficially the leadership role to get work done on time.

Outside Rotman, I am planning to apply to Ivey, Queens,McGill and UBC in Canada? Do you think these would be good choices?



Hi Kartik,

Thanks a lot for the help.
I will surely try to put more efforts into the application and my post MBA goals.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Dec 2016
Posts: 11
Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 01:42
Hi,
My profile is as below:

GMAT - 710
Class X -90%
Class XII - 88%
Mechanical Engineering from NIT, Warangal (2007 batch) - 8.00 CGPA

Work Experience:
Research Assistant at JNCASR, Bangalore - After graduating from NIT, Warangal, I wanted to do masters/phd in computational Fluid Dynamics. But I wanted to explore the field first, hence joined JNCASR (did not join the job I was placed through campus - NTPC). Worked here for 1.5 years. Realized that research was not my interest and I was more inclined towards industry than academia.

Piping Engineer at a large EPC firm (almost 6 years) - Working as a Senior engineer. We are engineering consultants in the oil and gas industry. Work I am involved in is very technical and has included the following:

Layout - Prepare the layout of the offshore plant taking into account the requirements of the client. Liaison with other departments internally to confirm all requirements are met. Issue drawings for fabrication and assist the fabrication, installation and commissioning team till the end of the project

MTO - Material take off - Basically make a list of all items required to be purchased. This is a big task and directly affects the cost of the project.

Specification - This is basically technical procurement assistance. Involved in the preparation of RFQ, technical bid analysis, technical queries (between vendor and us), vendor document review and approval.

I have received good ratings throughout my career at this company.
I do not have achievements in any extra curricular activities. Not worked for an NGO or any volunteering services. Did try my hand at gaming.
MBA goals - short term - work in an energy consulting firm (oil and gas preferred due to my experience)
Long term - Be a business leader in the energy industry and help companies / governments take better decisions in this sector.
Why MBA - The consulting firms in the oil and gas / energy industry look into years of experience as a major factor to establish credibility. I also lack knowledge required to take business decisions. An MBA will give me both.

Kindly evaluate my profile. Also please provide your analysis of my career goals and reasons for MBA.
Thanks
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 686
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 01:50
Hello tomhagen1989

You have a decent shot at Rotman based on the info shared.
Make sure to talk more around the following related to your work-
1. Achievements at work and the real business impact of your contributions. You have received good ratings, but they are ultimately a result of something positive that you did for your organization Highlight that more than your responsibilities.
2. Showcase a seamless career journey from research to current role to an MBA and finally meeting your career goals
You could read more here on all the factors that your should be focusing on in your application.
The lack of extracurricular can hurt, so you will have to bring out elements in your personal/professional life that can help you stand out from an average applicant.
Honestly at this stage only execution is key for you. If you tie in all of these well in your written application, you stand a fighting chance.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


tomhagen1989 wrote:
Hi,
My profile is as below:

GMAT - 710
Class X -90%
Class XII - 88%
Mechanical Engineering from NIT, Warangal (2007 batch) - 8.00 CGPA

Work Experience:
Research Assistant at JNCASR, Bangalore - After graduating from NIT, Warangal, I wanted to do masters/phd in computational Fluid Dynamics. But I wanted to explore the field first, hence joined JNCASR (did not join the job I was placed through campus - NTPC). Worked here for 1.5 years. Realized that research was not my interest and I was more inclined towards industry than academia.

Piping Engineer at a large EPC firm (almost 6 years) - Working as a Senior engineer. We are engineering consultants in the oil and gas industry. Work I am involved in is very technical and has included the following:

Layout - Prepare the layout of the offshore plant taking into account the requirements of the client. Liaison with other departments internally to confirm all requirements are met. Issue drawings for fabrication and assist the fabrication, installation and commissioning team till the end of the project

MTO - Material take off - Basically make a list of all items required to be purchased. This is a big task and directly affects the cost of the project.

Specification - This is basically technical procurement assistance. Involved in the preparation of RFQ, technical bid analysis, technical queries (between vendor and us), vendor document review and approval.

I have received good ratings throughout my career at this company.
I do not have achievements in any extra curricular activities. Not worked for an NGO or any volunteering services. Did try my hand at gaming.
MBA goals - short term - work in an energy consulting firm (oil and gas preferred due to my experience)
Long term - Be a business leader in the energy industry and help companies / governments take better decisions in this sector.
Why MBA - The consulting firms in the oil and gas / energy industry look into years of experience as a major factor to establish credibility. I also lack knowledge required to take business decisions. An MBA will give me both.

Kindly evaluate my profile. Also please provide your analysis of my career goals and reasons for MBA.
Thanks

_________________
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 322
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 06:27
Hi,

I'm a CFD engineer too - so cheers to you for that!

With regards to your profile - you have a fairly technical, and typical resume. GMAT and GPA are good but in the average range. With regards to your post-MBA goals, you need to change them. Foreigners typically don't get hired into energy roles (visa sponsorship issues) - so this choice of goals might present you as having some employability risk.

With regards to what the right career choice should be - not sure. But essentially, we need to figure out areas where you can make a meaningful impact with your transferable skills and your new MBA knowledge.

Please set up an appointment using the link below if you need to discuss further.

Best wishes,
Karthik

tomhagen1989 wrote:
Hi,
My profile is as below:

GMAT - 710
Class X -90%
Class XII - 88%
Mechanical Engineering from NIT, Warangal (2007 batch) - 8.00 CGPA

Work Experience:
Research Assistant at JNCASR, Bangalore - After graduating from NIT, Warangal, I wanted to do masters/phd in computational Fluid Dynamics. But I wanted to explore the field first, hence joined JNCASR (did not join the job I was placed through campus - NTPC). Worked here for 1.5 years. Realized that research was not my interest and I was more inclined towards industry than academia.

Piping Engineer at a large EPC firm (almost 6 years) - Working as a Senior engineer. We are engineering consultants in the oil and gas industry. Work I am involved in is very technical and has included the following:

Layout - Prepare the layout of the offshore plant taking into account the requirements of the client. Liaison with other departments internally to confirm all requirements are met. Issue drawings for fabrication and assist the fabrication, installation and commissioning team till the end of the project

MTO - Material take off - Basically make a list of all items required to be purchased. This is a big task and directly affects the cost of the project.

Specification - This is basically technical procurement assistance. Involved in the preparation of RFQ, technical bid analysis, technical queries (between vendor and us), vendor document review and approval.

I have received good ratings throughout my career at this company.
I do not have achievements in any extra curricular activities. Not worked for an NGO or any volunteering services. Did try my hand at gaming.
MBA goals - short term - work in an energy consulting firm (oil and gas preferred due to my experience)
Long term - Be a business leader in the energy industry and help companies / governments take better decisions in this sector.
Why MBA - The consulting firms in the oil and gas / energy industry look into years of experience as a major factor to establish credibility. I also lack knowledge required to take business decisions. An MBA will give me both.

Kindly evaluate my profile. Also please provide your analysis of my career goals and reasons for MBA.
Thanks

_________________
Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 30 Aug 2015
Posts: 4
Location: Pakistan
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.83
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 18:42
Hi,

Below is my profile.

Pakistani Male
Age 29 Years

Undergrad: BS in Materials Engineering (Specializing in Manufacturing)
GPA: 3.03/4
Studied from GIKI - One of the top engineering schools of Pakistan.

Graduate: Master of ENgineering in Mechanical (Advanced Manufacturing Technology)
GPA: 3.83/4
University of Technology, Malaysia

GMAT: 720 (49Q, 39V 5IR)
Year Taken: 2015

Work Experience: Total Work Experience = 4 Years (3 years internationl)
- 1 Year as Trainee at a Power Plant
- 11 Months as Assistant Project Controller (Construction Project - Power Plant - Philippines)
- (Current Positon) 2 years as Contract & Risk Manager (Construction Project - Power Plant - Philippines) - Currently managing a team of 2.
* Promoted once in the last three years. Receieved multiple pay raises higher than company's standard annual raise.

Interests: Love to Travel, Cook, Play Tennis, Learn about Efficient/Sustainable Processes and Designs

About myself: Hardworking, Patient, Proactive

Previusly a member of toastmasters club - (company chapter) Left the club due to work load as the consutruction project gained momentum.
Member of International Associatation for Commercial and Contracts Management (IACCM)
Certified Contract and Commercial Management Professional (Practitioner)

I will be leaving my current contract based job by Mid next year, in time for the MBA class to commence.

What are my chances at Rotman? What can I do to improve my chances?

Thanks,
Aleem
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 686
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 21:44
1
Hello aleemullah

Kudos to the detailed post.
You have a fighting chance at Rotman, based on the info given around all admission factors (which you can read more on here).
Past grades, GMAT, International Work Ex, Extracurricular activities, Diversity all seem pretty good for Rotman.
Honestly, key for you is execution of essays. What stories to tell and how to tell them.
The only thing I'm concerned about are your career goals and the need of an MBA. Your career goals should be in sync with your past and what Rotman has to offer. If you feel like an employment risk, the school will not select you. SInce details around this are missing it is difficult to comment. (You may want to add to your research on career goals by reading here)
If you can showcase a seamless story, you will stand a good chance at Rotman.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com



aleemullah wrote:
Hi,

Below is my profile.

Pakistani Male
Age 29 Years

Undergrad: BS in Materials Engineering (Specializing in Manufacturing)
GPA: 3.03/4
Studied from GIKI - One of the top engineering schools of Pakistan.

Graduate: Master of ENgineering in Mechanical (Advanced Manufacturing Technology)
GPA: 3.83/4
University of Technology, Malaysia

GMAT: 720 (49Q, 39V 5IR)
Year Taken: 2015

Work Experience: Total Work Experience = 4 Years (3 years internationl)
- 1 Year as Trainee at a Power Plant
- 11 Months as Assistant Project Controller (Construction Project - Power Plant - Philippines)
- (Current Positon) 2 years as Contract & Risk Manager (Construction Project - Power Plant - Philippines) - Currently managing a team of 2.
* Promoted once in the last three years. Receieved multiple pay raises higher than company's standard annual raise.

Interests: Love to Travel, Cook, Play Tennis, Learn about Efficient/Sustainable Processes and Designs

About myself: Hardworking, Patient, Proactive

Previusly a member of toastmasters club - (company chapter) Left the club due to work load as the consutruction project gained momentum.
Member of International Associatation for Commercial and Contracts Management (IACCM)
Certified Contract and Commercial Management Professional (Practitioner)

I will be leaving my current contract based job by Mid next year, in time for the MBA class to commence.

What are my chances at Rotman? What can I do to improve my chances?

Thanks,
Aleem

_________________
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2016
Posts: 103
Location: Philippines
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.46
Reviews Badge
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 08:44
Hi Class of 2021! I'm Sheila Quiroga and I would like to share my blog, https://wondersuite.blogspot.com, to you that I recently updated. Please do follow my blog and share them on your feed please! You can scroll all the way down or look at the labels button beside to access the important articles. Hope you find this useful!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Schools: Rotman '21 (D)
Reviews Badge
Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 23:58
Scores:
GMAT : 660 (Lower than average, but I am not able to improve it)
Education:
PGDM – IIM (top 3 of the class 4.0 GPA), BTECH – 84% around 3.7 GPA (top 5 of the class)
12th - 89%, 10th - 80%
Work Experience: (total 5 years)
Supply Chain Consultant:
[*]Global Exposure in dealing with clients in South Africa, Canada, Egypt, Dubai, Japan, Germany and Australia
[*]As a consultant frequently travel to foreign countries for driving the supply chain solution for clients
[*]Generated a total revenue of $1.5 million and saving of $2.5 million to customers.
[*]Designed Intercontinental Business Process by integrating the marketing and supply chain team, which resulted in saving of 11% of operating costs at Mass Discounters
[*]Optimized the Safety Stock process across the stores by using statistical methods which led to savings of $200,000 per month at Mr Price
[*]Improvement of various KPI’s and business performance metrics for clients.
[*]Improved forecast Accuracy by 12% for Beverages and Foods Division at Pepsi
[*]Change Management - Partnered with Sales and Supply Chain team to bring changes to day – day operations.
[*]Created reports and dashboards for insights into project implementation
Achievements: H1 Pillar award for highest customer satisfaction and revenue generation , Spot Award for exceptional performance in Pepsi AMENA, 2 promotions in span of 3 years.
Programmer Analyst:
[*]Developed Claims Management System which improved the process for underwriters in approving the claims requests, which helped in reducing the underwriting errors done by 15%
[*]Developed automated tools for premium calculation for US Profession Insurance and UK Personal Insurance products, which helped in improving the efficiency of execution time by 86%.
Achievements: Top Innovator Award in 2011

Internships:
[*]Internship at JP Morgan Chase – Improved the Payment Mechanism by taping foreign currency reserves of bank across countries which resulted in 5% of annual savings
[*]Internship - Developed Inventory Optimization Tool for ELEMEC industries which helped reducing the inventory holding cost at the warehouse by 17%.

Extracurricular:
[*]President of Alumni Committee: Responsible for handling 1 crore of endowment fund and building up network
[*]Event coordinator and president for Infusion 2015 - G
[*]Passed CFA Level 1 in June 2015
[*]First Prize in IEEE National Level Paper for research paper on “Mining of Rare association rules of frequent Items”
[*]NCC Grade A

Questions:
[*]How does Rotman treat 2nd MBA applicants, the reason for apply is to have a global exposure and move into more of higher management roles (my current role i am more focused on Supply Chain)
[*]GMAT score is low is there anyway i can compensate for that as I am travelling so frequently i cannot re-take
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Schools: Rotman '21 (D)
Reviews Badge
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 00:00
Scores:
GMAT : 660 (Lower than average, but I am not able to improve it)
Education:
PGDM – IIM (top 3 of the class 4.0 GPA), BTECH – 84% around 3.7 GPA (top 5 of the class)
12th - 89%, 10th - 80%
Work Experience: (total 5 years)
Supply Chain Consultant:
[*]Global Exposure in dealing with clients in South Africa, Canada, Egypt, Dubai, Japan, Germany and Australia
[*]As a consultant frequently travel to foreign countries for driving the supply chain solution for clients
[*]Generated a total revenue of $1.5 million and saving of $2.5 million to customers.
[*]Designed Intercontinental Business Process by integrating the marketing and supply chain team, which resulted in saving of 11% of operating costs at Mass Discounters
[*]Optimized the Safety Stock process across the stores by using statistical methods which led to savings of $200,000 per month at Mr Price
[*]Improvement of various KPI’s and business performance metrics for clients.
[*]Improved forecast Accuracy by 12% for Beverages and Foods Division at Pepsi
[*]Change Management - Partnered with Sales and Supply Chain team to bring changes to day – day operations.
[*]Created reports and dashboards for insights into project implementation
Achievements: H1 Pillar award for highest customer satisfaction and revenue generation , Spot Award for exceptional performance in Pepsi AMENA, 2 promotions in span of 3 years.
Programmer Analyst:
[*]Developed Claims Management System which improved the process for underwriters in approving the claims requests, which helped in reducing the underwriting errors done by 15%
[*]Developed automated tools for premium calculation for US Profession Insurance and UK Personal Insurance products, which helped in improving the efficiency of execution time by 86%.
Achievements: Top Innovator Award in 2011

Internships:
[*]Internship at JP Morgan Chase – Improved the Payment Mechanism by taping foreign currency reserves of bank across countries which resulted in 5% of annual savings
[*]Internship - Developed Inventory Optimization Tool for ELEMEC industries which helped reducing the inventory holding cost at the warehouse by 17%.

Extracurricular:
[*]President of Alumni Committee: Responsible for handling 1 crore of endowment fund and building up network
[*]Event coordinator and president for Infusion 2015 - G
[*]Passed CFA Level 1 in June 2015
[*]First Prize in IEEE National Level Paper for research paper on “Mining of Rare association rules of frequent Items”
[*]NCC Grade A

Questions:
[*]How does Rotman treat 2nd MBA applicants, the reason for apply is to have a global exposure and move into more of higher management roles (my current role i am more focused on Supply Chain)
[*]GMAT score is low is there anyway i can compensate for that as I am travelling so frequently i cannot re-take
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 686
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 01:34
Hello prasanths89

Though your profile is good and the GMAT could potentially be compensates, the most glaring question is why a second MBA from Rotman when you already have an MBA from IIM.
Many people do a second MBA, but usually it is by moving up a tier. That is going to be the biggest hurdle to cross.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


prasanths89 wrote:
Scores:
GMAT : 660 (Lower than average, but I am not able to improve it)
Education:
PGDM – IIM (top 3 of the class 4.0 GPA), BTECH – 84% around 3.7 GPA (top 5 of the class)
12th - 89%, 10th - 80%
Work Experience: (total 5 years)
Supply Chain Consultant:
[*]Global Exposure in dealing with clients in South Africa, Canada, Egypt, Dubai, Japan, Germany and Australia
[*]As a consultant frequently travel to foreign countries for driving the supply chain solution for clients
[*]Generated a total revenue of $1.5 million and saving of $2.5 million to customers.
[*]Designed Intercontinental Business Process by integrating the marketing and supply chain team, which resulted in saving of 11% of operating costs at Mass Discounters
[*]Optimized the Safety Stock process across the stores by using statistical methods which led to savings of $200,000 per month at Mr Price
[*]Improvement of various KPI’s and business performance metrics for clients.
[*]Improved forecast Accuracy by 12% for Beverages and Foods Division at Pepsi
[*]Change Management - Partnered with Sales and Supply Chain team to bring changes to day – day operations.
[*]Created reports and dashboards for insights into project implementation
Achievements: H1 Pillar award for highest customer satisfaction and revenue generation , Spot Award for exceptional performance in Pepsi AMENA, 2 promotions in span of 3 years.
Programmer Analyst:
[*]Developed Claims Management System which improved the process for underwriters in approving the claims requests, which helped in reducing the underwriting errors done by 15%
[*]Developed automated tools for premium calculation for US Profession Insurance and UK Personal Insurance products, which helped in improving the efficiency of execution time by 86%.
Achievements: Top Innovator Award in 2011

Internships:
[*]Internship at JP Morgan Chase – Improved the Payment Mechanism by taping foreign currency reserves of bank across countries which resulted in 5% of annual savings
[*]Internship - Developed Inventory Optimization Tool for ELEMEC industries which helped reducing the inventory holding cost at the warehouse by 17%.

Extracurricular:
[*]President of Alumni Committee: Responsible for handling 1 crore of endowment fund and building up network
[*]Event coordinator and president for Infusion 2015 - G
[*]Passed CFA Level 1 in June 2015
[*]First Prize in IEEE National Level Paper for research paper on “Mining of Rare association rules of frequent Items”
[*]NCC Grade A

Questions:
[*]How does Rotman treat 2nd MBA applicants, the reason for apply is to have a global exposure and move into more of higher management roles (my current role i am more focused on Supply Chain)
[*]GMAT score is low is there anyway i can compensate for that as I am travelling so frequently i cannot re-take

_________________
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Schools: Rotman '21 (D)
Reviews Badge
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 02:42
Thanks MBAkarma for the reply. IIM is more of a newer IIM's it does not come under top colleges in India. The reason I want to do second MBA is in my current job I am more focused on Supply Chain management. I would like move up the corporate ladder to more of a holistic corporate strategy roles. With my current profile I require a global exposure to move up the corporate ladder. Please advise.
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 686
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 02:53
Hello prasanths89

Irrespective of a new IIM, you will have to bring out strengths in all admission factors mentioned here.
In addition to the above, you will need to showcase a more fleshed out reason to really pursue a second MBA, when you already have the knowledge. You could add to your research on career goals by reading here.
Lastly, your essays will need to not only highlight all the admission factors mentioned in the first article but also compensate for your low GMAT (Indians are expected to score high and your score is less than the average of Rotman which is 670. If you present this along with weak narrative around career goals/2nd MBA then the schools will see you as an employment risk)
The bright side is your work ex and past scores are really good- so you will need to boost your strengths by better storytelling.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com




prasanths89 wrote:
Thanks MBAkarma for the reply. IIM is more of a newer IIM's it does not come under top colleges in India. The reason I want to do second MBA is in my current job I am more focused on Supply Chain management. I would like move up the corporate ladder to more of a holistic corporate strategy roles. With my current profile I require a global exposure to move up the corporate ladder. Please advise.

_________________
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 620
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 12:29
Hi prasanths89,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You have a very strong background. Below are my responses to your questions.


[*]How does Rotman treat 2nd MBA applicants, the reason for apply is to have a global exposure and move into more of higher management roles (my current role i am more focused on Supply Chain) Your existing role seems to expose you to a plethora of cultures that enable you to have a breadth of global experience. Your strategic development, however, is something you might want to focus on and clearly articulate in your application. Your second MBA will not be an issue so long as you can express the reason why you require it. The qualitative component of your application will be very important here.
[*]GMAT score is low is there anyway i can compensate for that as I am travelling so frequently i cannot re-take. Your GMAT is slightly below average. I would not worry about your score, especially since you have proven in both undergraduate and graduate programs your academic prowess.


If you would like to continue the conversation, please reach out to schedule a free 30-minute consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

prasanths89 wrote:
Scores:
GMAT : 660 (Lower than average, but I am not able to improve it)
Education:
PGDM – IIM (top 3 of the class 4.0 GPA), BTECH – 84% around 3.7 GPA (top 5 of the class)
12th - 89%, 10th - 80%
Work Experience: (total 5 years)
Supply Chain Consultant:
[*]Global Exposure in dealing with clients in South Africa, Canada, Egypt, Dubai, Japan, Germany and Australia
[*]As a consultant frequently travel to foreign countries for driving the supply chain solution for clients
[*]Generated a total revenue of $1.5 million and saving of $2.5 million to customers.
[*]Designed Intercontinental Business Process by integrating the marketing and supply chain team, which resulted in saving of 11% of operating costs at Mass Discounters
[*]Optimized the Safety Stock process across the stores by using statistical methods which led to savings of $200,000 per month at Mr Price
[*]Improvement of various KPI’s and business performance metrics for clients.
[*]Improved forecast Accuracy by 12% for Beverages and Foods Division at Pepsi
[*]Change Management - Partnered with Sales and Supply Chain team to bring changes to day – day operations.
[*]Created reports and dashboards for insights into project implementation
Achievements: H1 Pillar award for highest customer satisfaction and revenue generation , Spot Award for exceptional performance in Pepsi AMENA, 2 promotions in span of 3 years.
Programmer Analyst:
[*]Developed Claims Management System which improved the process for underwriters in approving the claims requests, which helped in reducing the underwriting errors done by 15%
[*]Developed automated tools for premium calculation for US Profession Insurance and UK Personal Insurance products, which helped in improving the efficiency of execution time by 86%.
Achievements: Top Innovator Award in 2011

Internships:
[*]Internship at JP Morgan Chase – Improved the Payment Mechanism by taping foreign currency reserves of bank across countries which resulted in 5% of annual savings
[*]Internship - Developed Inventory Optimization Tool for ELEMEC industries which helped reducing the inventory holding cost at the warehouse by 17%.

Extracurricular:
[*]President of Alumni Committee: Responsible for handling 1 crore of endowment fund and building up network
[*]Event coordinator and president for Infusion 2015 - G
[*]Passed CFA Level 1 in June 2015
[*]First Prize in IEEE National Level Paper for research paper on “Mining of Rare association rules of frequent Items”
[*]NCC Grade A

Questions:
[*]How does Rotman treat 2nd MBA applicants, the reason for apply is to have a global exposure and move into more of higher management roles (my current role i am more focused on Supply Chain)
[*]GMAT score is low is there anyway i can compensate for that as I am travelling so frequently i cannot re-take

_________________
Susan Berishaj
Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Dec 2016
Posts: 6
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 04:34
Scores:
GMAT : 680 (Q 48, V35)
Education:
B.Tech(Pvt. University) CGPA: 7.47
12th - 66%, 10th - 77%
Work Experience: (total 4 years)
SAP Business Objects Analyst
-Global Exposure in dealing with clients in USA, China, Saudi Arabia.
-Took proactive part in Migration of SAP from 3.x to 4.x.
-Created reports and dashboards for insights into project implementation.
-SAP Business Objects SPOC for 4 BO Universes.
-Nature of work involved support to the client and to the client application.
-Responsible for multiple finance dashboard reports to international clients.

Extracurricular:
-National Cadet Core: Air Wing, Corporal at High school level.
-Instructor and group leader for college's dance group.
-Won multiple certificates and awards at college level dance competitions

Questions:
-What is the one key quality that Rotman looks for in its applicants
- Took Gmat 5 times and at last ended up with a 680 score. others were (550,600,620,640) would this reflect weakness?
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 686
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 05:49
1
Hello ab52

There is no 'single' factor that Rotman looks at. It will evaluate your profile on a combination of factors mentioned here.
Multiple GMAT attempts should not weaken your profile as you have shown consistent improvement. 680 is not a deal breaker for Rotman, though higher would have helped.
At this stage I'd say your profile has the goods (Acads, Work Ex, Extracurricular), but to deliver them you will need to showcase your career goals (missing from your post) and their fit with Rotman.
Let me know if you have further questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com


ab52 wrote:
Scores:
GMAT : 680 (Q 48, V35)
Education:
B.Tech(Pvt. University) CGPA: 7.47
12th - 66%, 10th - 77%
Work Experience: (total 4 years)
SAP Business Objects Analyst
-Global Exposure in dealing with clients in USA, China, Saudi Arabia.
-Took proactive part in Migration of SAP from 3.x to 4.x.
-Created reports and dashboards for insights into project implementation.
-SAP Business Objects SPOC for 4 BO Universes.
-Nature of work involved support to the client and to the client application.
-Responsible for multiple finance dashboard reports to international clients.

Extracurricular:
-National Cadet Core: Air Wing, Corporal at High school level.
-Instructor and group leader for college's dance group.
-Won multiple certificates and awards at college level dance competitions

Questions:
-What is the one key quality that Rotman looks for in its applicants
- Took Gmat 5 times and at last ended up with a 680 score. others were (550,600,620,640) would this reflect weakness?

_________________
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile evaluation   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2018, 05:49

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  17    Next  [ 323 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: redskull1






cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne