Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kash2Smash wrote:
Hi,

Requesting someone to help assess my profile for Rotman. Thanks!

Kash2Smash wrote:
Hi there,

I was hoping if someone could help evaluate my profile for the 2 years MBA programme. PFB the details:

- Male, Indian, 25.

- Education:
1. Grade 12: IB Diploma (High Level - Maths, History and English); attended schools across Tunisia, Sri Lanka, Belgium, and India.
2 .Undergrad:
- B.Tech in Computer Science from VIT, Vellore, India (top 15 engineering college in India).
- 4 years degree
- Extra courses: Fundamentals of Financial Management 101, Macroeconomics 101
- CGPA: 7.56/10

- Work Experience:
1. Founder and CEO of a college startup of mine. Ran it for good ~3 years with a team of 25+ folks working across India.
2. Founding Member and Head of Sales of a pre-Series A funded tech company (we are a 60+ member team now with offices in Delhi and SF). 3 years of work experience. I have recently left from here and currently traveling (been 2 months). By the time I go for my MBA, I'll have around ~3.5-4 years of work ex.

- GMAT: I am currently preparing, hoping to give the exam in December.
- Post MBA Goals: Join a venture capital firm and not just add value as an investor but also as a mentor. I believe I have learned a lot from the startup community and would love to give back to it as well.

Major doubt:

Major doubts:

Undergrad requirement: Mid-B Equivalent: 1st Class/Div or 8.0/10; 7.5/10 from Indian Institutes of Technology. This has been mentioned on the Rotman website. Since I have 7.56/10, I don't meet the requirement? I am not sure what classifies as a 1st Class/Div at VIT.

Thanks!

Only your final year GPA is considered
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi, can anyone please evaluate my profile?

1) Background and nationality: Indian
2) Undergrad Information: B.E. in Mechanical Engineering from Birla Institute of Technology with 8/10 CGPA. Last two semesters being 8.5 and 10.
3) GMAT: 700 (V35 and Q49) in October, '18
4) Work experience and leadership: 3 years as a SAP Logistics consultant in PwC India. Direct client facing role, interacted with everyone in domestic and international clients from store level workers to CXOs. Worked on implementation and support projects. Currently leading the material management team from PwC Mumbai i.e. west region for the all India AMS team under my partner.
5) Community and others: Have participated in CSR activities of PwC India. Was part of the National Service Scheme back in college. Headed the brakes and the steering department for college BAJA team and were runners up in the marketing presentation of SAE BAJA India '16. Played volleyball at a district level back in school.
6) Post MBA goals: Do a specialization in advanced management and make partner ASAP to change the system as partner operate autonomously within consulting firms. Will fulfill my dream of being an entrepreneur as well.

Thanks
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello ashutoshc329

The 'stats' of your profile look decent for the likes of Rotman.
Key for you here is execution and choosing the 'spike' factors. Mentioning extracurricular activities could help further.
Also, mentioning entrepreneurship can be a two edged sword- if you have clear answers and vision of what you want to do such a goal may work for you. Otherwise, more often than not, it comes out as a 'wish' rather than a 'goal'.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ashutoshc329 wrote:
Hi, can anyone please evaluate my profile?

1) Background and nationality: Indian
2) Undergrad Information: B.E. in Mechanical Engineering from Birla Institute of Technology with 8/10 CGPA. Last two semesters being 8.5 and 10.
3) GMAT: 700 (V35 and Q49) in October, '18
4) Work experience and leadership: 3 years as a SAP Logistics consultant in PwC India. Direct client facing role, interacted with everyone in domestic and international clients from store level workers to CXOs. Worked on implementation and support projects. Currently leading the material management team from PwC Mumbai i.e. west region for the all India AMS team under my partner.
5) Community and others: Have participated in CSR activities of PwC India. Was part of the National Service Scheme back in college. Headed the brakes and the steering department for college BAJA team and were runners up in the marketing presentation of SAE BAJA India '16. Played volleyball at a district level back in school.
6) Post MBA goals: Do a specialization in advanced management and make partner ASAP to change the system as partner operate autonomously within consulting firms. Will fulfill my dream of being an entrepreneur as well.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Hi All,

Please evaluate my profile. Should I apply for Rotman for R2? Please recommend other schools that I can focus on.
Gmat Score :660(Q49,V31)
Toefl: Yet to appear

10th: 10 CGPA(95%)
12: 84.6
4 years B.Tech from 3-tier university with CGPA-8.1 CGPA(83%)

Work Exp: 2.5 years with Deloitte(Got 2 promotions Analyst to Consultant-II). Given 2 Awards for the performance. Worked with Financial as well as Pharmaceuticals client.

Extra Curricular:

Head of Theater Hub in College. Organised and acted in several stage and street plays
Social Work: Internship with an NGO during college. Participation in fund-raising events for different NGOs in school. Associated with an NGO at present.
Events: Organised events at workplace.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello daspri2809

Not sure what nationality you belong to, but the content hints at Indian.
In that case, the GMAT, though not a deal breaker, will not help you stand out from most applicants.
Also, with 2.5 years of work ex, you will be slightly on the lower end. Again, not a deal breaker, but you will have to display stronger achievements/career progress than that of other applicants.
Extracurricular (except perhaps NGO) look on the weaker side- simply because school/university activities usually do not carry much weight (unless you have achieved something spectacular). A good extracurricular is usually defined by Recency, Seriousness, Long Term Inter Involvement and a Positive Impact (on your life or the life of others)
Lastly, not sure what your career goals are. Most vital not just to a B School application but also for B School selection. You may want to read here to add to your career goals' research.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

daspri2809 wrote:
Hi All,

Please evaluate my profile. Should I apply for Rotman for R2? Please recommend other schools that I can focus on.
Gmat Score :660(Q49,V31)
Toefl: Yet to appear

10th: 10 CGPA(95%)
12: 84.6
4 years B.Tech from 3-tier university with CGPA-8.1 CGPA(83%)

Work Exp: 2.5 years with Deloitte(Got 2 promotions Analyst to Consultant-II). Given 2 Awards for the performance. Worked with Financial as well as Pharmaceuticals client.

Extra Curricular:

Head of Theater Hub in College. Organised and acted in several stage and street plays
Social Work: Internship with an NGO during college. Participation in fund-raising events for different NGOs in school. Associated with an NGO at present.
Events: Organised events at workplace.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Hi. Please evaluate my profile for Rotman 2 year full time MBA.
Nationality - Indian
GMAT- 700(Q50, V 34, IR 6), Wrote just yesterday
CGPA - 8.43, Mechanical Engineering from the top NIT
Work Ex- 10 months in Automobile industry, worked on crucial projects + 66 months in Oil and Gas exploration PSU,a fortune 500 one, have done various critical operations and made some project cost effective. Have worked as team member, leader and led team in some critical jobs.
Extra curricular - Was president of one of the college sports club, Vice president of Mechanical Engineering Association of my college, Attached with CSR team at my company, Worked with an NGO working in field of child education, Have trekked to 3000 meters in Himalaya, studied Indian and general administration at micro level.
Post MBA goal - Want to migrate to an accelerated path of career growth, to have better decision making powers and to work in an competitive environment.

Please also suggest if my profile will be suitable for any other good MBA schools.. Thanks..
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Bn1509

Statistically speaking, you check all the boxes- GMAT, past scores, work ex all looks a decent match for Rotman.
That said, focus on career progress and achievements related to your career more than the the description of your role.
Coming to career goals, while on a personal level I understand you want to grow in your career, the current narrative does not tell why an MBA is needed at all (that too from Rotman). You can grow organically in your role too. What are your specific plans- need clarity on this.
Lastly, as I mentioned earlier, the points of the profile check all the boxes, now it is key for you to identify and bring out how each of these points make you unique (or show a 'spike' through these)
As long as you are able to do that, you have a decent shot.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Bn1509 wrote:
Hi. Please evaluate my profile for Rotman 2 year full time MBA.
Nationality - Indian
GMAT- 700(Q50, V 34, IR 6), Wrote just yesterday
CGPA - 8.43, Mechanical Engineering from the top NIT
Work Ex- 10 months in Automobile industry, worked on crucial projects + 66 months in Oil and Gas exploration PSU,a fortune 500 one, have done various critical operations and made some project cost effective. Have worked as team member, leader and led team in some critical jobs.
Extra curricular - Was president of one of the college sports club, Vice president of Mechanical Engineering Association of my college, Attached with CSR team at my company, Worked with an NGO working in field of child education, Have trekked to 3000 meters in Himalaya, studied Indian and general administration at micro level.
Post MBA goal - Want to migrate to an accelerated path of career growth, to have better decision making powers and to work in an competitive environment.

Please also suggest if my profile will be suitable for any other good MBA schools.. Thanks..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Simon '21 (S)
Send PM
Hi, I am planning to apply to Rotman in round 3. Some evaluation of my profile will help a lot.

Background and nationality: Indian Male

Undergrad Information: B Tech Mechanical Engineering from SASTRA University. GPA of 7.48
School: 12th -95% and 10th- 88%

GMAT: Expecting a score of 730

Work experience and leadership:
1) Worked for 2 years in Teach for India (an NGO) from May 2016 to April 2018 as a teaching fellow. Gave me the opportunity to teach kids of grades 4, 5 and 6. Through the 2 years works in many classrooms and community development projects to expose the kids to the outside world. Had a partnership with ASTEP ( Artists striving to end poverty) and had a Broadway actor to teach drama and mime to the class to help them better express themselves. The kids used this to present a mime in their community about a prevalent issue of Alcoholism. Conducted 2 citywide cultural and sports festival for 4000 kids. WAs in charge of events and logistics for the fest.
2) From May 2018 to October 2018 worked as a Business Analyst for a for-profit education startup. Did analysis of customer data to find patterns and maximize customer retention. Also in charge of sales, partnering with various schools to get them to use our products.
3) November and December, working part-time with same ed startup for Content Development for higher grades (8th to 12th )

Extra Curricular: Was a part of the college theatre team and have won many awards. Volunteered with an NGO during college. Have helped conduct 3 teacher training camps and a student empowerment camp in rural India.

What are my chances of getting in? Is there anything specific I should look out for in the application or interview?

Also please do suggest any other school to which I could apply to

Thanks.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello meemam

Most of the quantitative aspects of your profile look strong. GMAT, past grades and Teach For India experience works.
Professional experience is a bit inconsistent and too short to talk about major achievements/progress in my opinion.
Extracurricular, though interesting all seem to have been done during university days, which usually does not carry much weight (unless it was something spectacular). You need to show consistency, recency and impact.
No mention of career goals either. So fresh into the work force, why pursue and MBA now, what are your goals and why Rotman- things that you would be expected to answer.
Lastly, through R3 is open for international applicants, it may not be the best time to apply as you will be competing for very few seats- hope you have done your research here.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

meemam wrote:
Hi, I am planning to apply to Rotman in round 3. Some evaluation of my profile will help a lot.

Background and nationality: Indian Male

Undergrad Information: B Tech Mechanical Engineering from SASTRA University. GPA of 7.48
School: 12th -95% and 10th- 88%

GMAT: Expecting a score of 730

Work experience and leadership:
1) Worked for 2 years in Teach for India (an NGO) from May 2016 to April 2018 as a teaching fellow. Gave me the opportunity to teach kids of grades 4, 5 and 6. Through the 2 years works in many classrooms and community development projects to expose the kids to the outside world. Had a partnership with ASTEP ( Artists striving to end poverty) and had a Broadway actor to teach drama and mime to the class to help them better express themselves. The kids used this to present a mime in their community about a prevalent issue of Alcoholism. Conducted 2 citywide cultural and sports festival for 4000 kids. WAs in charge of events and logistics for the fest.
2) From May 2018 to October 2018 worked as a Business Analyst for a for-profit education startup. Did analysis of customer data to find patterns and maximize customer retention. Also in charge of sales, partnering with various schools to get them to use our products.
3) November and December, working part-time with same ed startup for Content Development for higher grades (8th to 12th )

Extra Curricular: Was a part of the college theatre team and have won many awards. Volunteered with an NGO during college. Have helped conduct 3 teacher training camps and a student empowerment camp in rural India.

What are my chances of getting in? Is there anything specific I should look out for in the application or interview?

Also please do suggest any other school to which I could apply to

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
Requesting your thoughts and assessment of my profile for Rotman admission (target round 2):
Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate : Bachelor in Technolgy (4 year course with a GPA equivalent of 3.4)
Masters: Part time evening MBA at Kelley School of Business (GPA 3.75 after 21 credits)
GMAT: 730
Work experience: 10 years, a mix of Internal Audit and Automotive Engineering Services across three companies. 2 years in India, rest in USA. I have worked with and visited operations in France and Brazil as well. Currently an IT Audit Manager with a team of three in a public company in Internet and Media industry. Also have professional certification in IT Auditing.
Likely Recommendations from: a. SVP - Accounting; b. Sr. Dir of Internal Audit; c. Professor of Strategy at Kelley
Extra-Curricular: Well rounded set of extra curriculars including national level Trivia championship, volunteering work at Professional Bodies, Company's Diversity Council among a few.
Goal: To work in a top tier consulting firm like McKinsey or BCG to help corporations execute on strategic initiatives
Special Note: Due to sticky immigration issues at USA, I will likely have to move on from this country without the likelihood of applying for a student visa. So Canada looks like a great alternative, thanks to it's merit based immigration.
Weakness in Profile: Pursued MS in Comp Science at a non-descript US university for three semesters and then quit due to not getting an A in three sems (GPA 3.29)

Key factor: Getting some funding is essential. The more the better. Rotman seems to have solid scholarships. What is my likelihood of getting some funding? What is my likelihood for getting the 100% funding given I am applying in round 2? What about the 10 scholarships that cover about CAD 60,000?

Also from a timing standpoint, I know I am in a tough spot. I am doing my best with the curveballs thrown at me. :)

Thanks.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello anindakumars

While your acads, GMAT and work experience look strong, if I were you I would be vary of the following-

1) Fit with age- since you will be an outlier in terms of age, you must have a strong fit with Rotman in terms of career goals and acceptance of candidates with higher experience.
2) Career Goals- These do not look realistic and organic looking at your work history and extensive experience- I hope you have done your research by looking at who gets hired by these companies at Rotman

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

anindakumars wrote:
Requesting your thoughts and assessment of my profile for Rotman admission (target round 2):
Undergraduate : Bachelor in Technolgy (4 year course with a GPA equivalent of 3.4)
Masters: Part time evening MBA at Kelley School of Business (GPA 3.75 after 21 credits)
Work experience: 10 years, a mix of Internal Audit and Automotive Engineering Services across three companies. 2 years in India, rest in USA. I have worked with and visited operations in France and Brazil as well. Currently an IT Audit Manager with a team of three in a public company in Internet and Media industry. Also have professional certification in IT Auditing.
Likely Recommendations from: a. SVP - Accounting; b. Sr. Dir of Internal Audit; c. Professor of Strategy at Kelley
Extra-Curricular: Well rounded set of extra curriculars including national level Trivia championship, volunteering work at Professional Bodies, Company's Diversity Council among a few.
Goal: To work in a top tier consulting firm like McKinsey or BCG to help corporations execute on strategic initiatives
Special Note: Due to sticky immigration issues at USA, I will likely have to move on from this country without the likelihood of applying for a student visa. So Canada looks like a great alternative, thanks to it's merit based immigration.
Weakness in Profile: Pursued MS in Comp Science at a non-descript US university for three semesters and then quit due to not getting an A in three sems (GPA 3.29)

Key factor: Getting some funding is essential. The more the better. Rotman seems to have solid scholarships. What is my likelihood of getting some funding? What is my likelihood for getting the 100% funding given I am applying in round 2? What about the 10 scholarships that cover about CAD 60,000?

Also from a timing standpoint, I know I am in a tough spot. I am doing my best with the curveballs thrown at me. :)

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: Rotman '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Hello,

Could someone pls evaluate my profile and advice on possibility of Scholarships?

Background and nationality: Indian Male, 29 years, Canadian PR

Education background: Masters in Industrial Engineering from North Carolina State University. USA. 3.51 GPA
GMAT: 690(49Q 34V 4 AWA 2 IR)

Current Role: Senior Quality Compliance Engineer
Work Ex: 6 at start of the program years with Schneider Electric USA in various Operations Roles(Supervisor, Manufacturing Engineer, Quality Engineer)

Extra Curricular: Chapter Leader for a popular Non profit (2016)
Volleyball coach for a local high school girls team
Cricket player

Post MBA Goals:
To get into Operations management/Management Consulting.

I can apply with my current GMAT in R2 or take the GMAT again and apply in R3.

Thank You
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello sanjeevsanthanam

While the GMAT, acads, work experience look decent for Rotman, a retake wouldn't hurt if you can take the score up by 20-30 points (give you that psychological 700+ number).
Will also depend on what 'spike' factors you choose to showcase as that is key for application at Rotman.
Not very confident on the strength of your career goals- both are too disconnected. Top Management Consulting jobs might go to students who are top of the class/high GMAT (usually) so make sure you have done your research by speaking to students/alumni in assessing how realistic your goals are for Rotman.
Avoid Round 3 ideally, despite your PR.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

sanjeevsanthanam wrote:
Hello,

Could someone pls evaluate my profile and advice on possibility of Scholarships?

Background and nationality: Indian Male, 29 years, Canadian PR

Education background: Masters in Industrial Engineering from North Carolina State University. USA. 3.51 GPA
GMAT: 690(49Q 34V 4 AWA 2 IR)

Current Role: Senior Quality Compliance Engineer
Work Ex: 6 at start of the program years with Schneider Electric USA in various Operations Roles(Supervisor, Manufacturing Engineer, Quality Engineer)

Extra Curricular: Chapter Leader for a popular Non profit (2016)
Volleyball coach for a local high school girls team
Cricket player

Post MBA Goals:
To get into Operations management/Management Consulting.

I can apply with my current GMAT in R2 or take the GMAT again and apply in R3.

Thank You
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Send PM
Hi All,

Gmat Score:700
10th: 68.6%
12th: 66.6%
4 years B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from State University with 63%
6 months Diploma in Java
Work Exp: 2 years with having experience in versatile fields
Extra Curricular:
Social Work: Internship with an NGO during college.
Also worked in an NGO on a salary basis.
Events: Organised events at workplace
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
Hi Varun,

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I could use some more guidance here. In USA, to my knowledge, there is no upper bar to get into a FT MBA. In fact many people attend in their 40s or later. Is it common for Canadian schools to have an upper limit? I ask because I got an email from Ivey saying the same thing that you are saying, which totally took me by surprise. So are there certain schools which are better for folks with 10 years or more of experience? Is there a better forum to ask this question? Pretty much for most schools, 4 - 5 years is the average class experience, so is my only way to find out is by writing to the schools individually?

Also, is there another forum that might be better suited for a general question like what I am asking you?

Lastly, could you throw some more color on the comment you made for career goals? Usually top notch consulting firms (again speaking from US knowledge) prefer multi-dimensional operational experience and an MBA from a top school. I didn't realize there is an age related issue here.

Thanks for your advice.

MBAkarma wrote:
Hello anindakumars

While your acads, GMAT and work experience look strong, if I were you I would be vary of the following-

1) Fit with age- since you will be an outlier in terms of age, you must have a strong fit with Rotman in terms of career goals and acceptance of candidates with higher experience.
2) Career Goals- These do not look realistic and organic looking at your work history and extensive experience- I hope you have done your research by looking at who gets hired by these companies at Rotman

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

anindakumars wrote:

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM