GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please evaluate my profile- Experts two cents!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which schools should I consider based on my profile and post MBA goal?

You may select up to 5 options
Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.71
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Please evaluate my profile- Experts two cents!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 06:40
Howdy,

Please evaluate my profile:

Quick Summary:
Work Experience(5 years as of to date. Will have 6 by the time I enroll next fall)
GMAT- 730(Q50, V38, IR 7, AWA 5)
Post MBA goal- Work as Sr. Program Manager driving Supply Chain Analytics revolution in E-Commerce
Long Term Goal- Start my own Logistics and Distribution Company in India serving as third party logistics to E-Commerce giants

Details:
Work Exp
Amazon -Richmond, VA, US
Production Planning Analyst (SME) Oct 2015- Present
• Lead strategic weekly capacity planning for 7 Amazon Robotic Facilities in North East shipping more than 20 million units/week
• Key contributor in launching 2 new Amazon Robotics Facilities in California in FY16 that outperformed existing similar facilities
• Lead the boot camps to train Sr. Finance partners on Labor Planning; coach Sr. Operations partners on new analytical tools
• Collaborate with Operations, and Transportation teams to launch inventory transfers within network thereby saving on shipping cost
• Initiated network knowledge sharing platform involving all Production and Financial Analysts thereby improving Learning Curves

TechnipFMC (A leading project management, engineering and construction company for the energy industry) -Houston, TX, US
Project Engineer- Estimation and Cost Jan 2015- Aug 2015
• Spearheaded standardized model to improve escalation cost accuracy of company’s new offshore projects by 10%
• Key contributor in leading the estimation cost of Texas Clean Energy Project; collaborated with China National Petroleum Co-orp.

Star Pipe Products (SPP) (A iron products manufacturing and distribution company for water industry) -Houston, TX, US
Supply Chain Business Analyst June 2013- Jan 2015
• Lead the implementation of a new supply chain strategy that resulted in reducing inventory by 20% and increasing fill rate by 13%
• Lead production planning of 4 product lines working closely with vendors in China and Mexico with order fill rate of 95%
• Implemented an Optimal Forecasting model for every product line and strategically distributed inventory across US and Canada

Tata Consultancy Services -Noida, UP, India
Systems Engineer Aug 2010- June 2011
• Key contributor in modelling client’s demand fluctuation and inventory flow; recommended value addition by inbound consolidation

Education
Texas A&M University (TAMU) College Station, TX
Masters of Engineering - Industrial Engineering GPA: 3.91/4.00 May 2013
Activities- • Head of American Production and Inventory Control Society Chapter; initiated this at Operations Club, Industrial Engg. Dept.

KIET, Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam Technical University (UPTU) Ghaziabad, UP, India
Bachelors of Engineering - Electrical & Electronics Engineering CGPA: 77%, Honors-Top 10% of the class July 2010
Activities- • State Government Merit Scholarship Recipient for academic excellence in all 4 years
• Chief of Events Coordinator- Electrical Engineering Students Association (EESA), KIET – A student run Club (Aug 08-09)
• Chief Executive-Greenery and Plantation, KIET Rotaract- An initiative of Rotary International Club, India (Nov 09-May 10)

HOBBIES/ OTHERS
• Houston Club’s Racquetball Champion at Intermediate Level • Trekked 8 National Parks and counting!; latest Zion National Park, UT • Cooking- I like to experiment with some traditional Indian recipes to give new texture one such e.g. is “Beer Chicken!”

Target Schools

Wharton
MIT
Booth
Kellogg (1 Yr)
Indian School of Business(ISB)
Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad /Bangalore (1 Yr)

I may also apply in some outside top 10 but good supply chain focused schools such as Ross,and Tepper. Given I plan to start my own company in india in long term hence it make sense to move back post mba and understand local geographical challenges for the industry. Unfortunately outside M 7 schools recruiters don't consider other schools in the same league as ISB and IIM A/B.

I am running out on time. Your quick feedback on my choice of schools is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your suggestions and evaluation. Looking forward to see experts opinion :)

PS: Even though I have studied and working in US I will still fall under indian applicant bucket. Some of the top scholls mentioned are quite ambitious for me not just based on my profile but also from gmat perspective( usually an avg indian applicant gmat score is 20-30 points above school class avg). However I want to spend my time on essays rather than improving my score further.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Schools: Wharton
Re: Please evaluate my profile- Experts two cents!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 22:10
Hi ag111,

Your professional experience isn’t common among Indian applicants, so that’s a positive for you. You’ve consistency in your professional experience and future goals. If your post-MBA goal is in India, just make sure that E-Commerce companies in India are hiring MBAs for those positions. The U.S. schools you’ve mentioned are challenging for most, and depending on the details of your professional experience and how well you convey them, you may have a chance. Indian schools will be relatively easier.

Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries | Consulting
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 22:23
99Colleges wrote:
Hi ag111,

Your professional experience isn’t common among Indian applicants, so that’s a positive for you. You’ve consistency in your professional experience and future goals. If your post-MBA goal is in India, just make sure that E-Commerce companies in India are hiring MBAs for those positions. The U.S. schools you’ve mentioned are challenging for most, and depending on the details of your professional experience and how well you convey them, you may have a chance. Indian schools will be relatively easier.

Thank you Anil for the feedback. Among ISB, IIM A and IIM B how would you rank them based on my goals and profile? Are IIM 1 Yr programs treated as high as their flagship 2 Yr PGP. I am referring from recruiters perspective(Just like IIT's M Tech are not considered in as high regard as B.Tech). Any other school you would like me to add in those school list?

Thanks again!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 09:50
If you’re looking at Indian schools, I would recommend ISB. It’s large, it’s more international in terms of associations and faculty, and it’s the core program (in IIMs, 2-year PGP is the flagship). Your short-term goal too will be better served at ISB than at IIM’s 1-year programs. Last year, E-commerce recruited in significant numbers at ISB. However, you need to check the latest numbers and speak to current students to get the context, because the industry is still finding its feet in India and therefore numbers can fluctuate a lot from year to year.

Second, and a divergent point, people usually study in the geography where they want to work post-MBA. If you study in U.S. and then work immediately after in India, repayment of loan can be onerous because you won’t be paid in $.

Third, if you’ve change of mind – and many do - on short-term goals after joining the program, it’s easier to change industry in a 2-year program. Well, this doesn’t apply if someone is sure about their short-term plans.

Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 10:34
99Colleges wrote:
If you’re looking at Indian schools, I would recommend ISB. It’s large, it’s more international in terms of associations and faculty, and it’s the core program (in IIMs, 2-year PGP is the flagship). Your short-term goal too will be better served at ISB than at IIM’s 1-year programs. Last year, E-commerce recruited in significant numbers at ISB. However, you need to check the latest numbers and speak to current students to get the context, because the industry is still finding its feet in India and therefore numbers can fluctuate a lot from year to year.

Second, and a divergent point, people usually study in the geography where they want to work post-MBA. If you study in U.S. and then work immediately after in India, repayment of loan can be onerous because you won’t be paid in $.

Third, if you’ve change of mind – and many do - on short-term goals after joining the program, it’s easier to change industry in a 2-year program. Well, this doesn’t apply if someone is sure about their short-term plans.

Thanks I have also been thinking on similar lines. Top Indian school makes more sense to me.

I am a re-applicant for ISB this year. Last year I made a hasty decision and applied with 680 GMAT score. Although my international exp fetched me interview call I finally got dinged. The feedback was I was not able to articulate my strengths clearly to the interview panel. There wasn't any mention on GMAT score but just to solidify my case I re-took and improved to 730. Apart from other initiatives I am taking at work currently can I also add that I improved my GMAT score in the re-applicant essay? Or is it like waste of words since the score is tangible. My thought is a reader may not strike my improved gmat scores as he/she is going over my essays. Mentioning it is worth the space as it adds weight on my claim that how much interested I am in joining the school. Your thoughts please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 21:26
Because GMAT score is reported separately, it leaps out even if you don't mention anywhere else, including resume. However, if you mention it in the optional essay, it won't harm your case.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 23:17
Hi Abhay,
You have a very good profile. Even though you come from over represented pool of applicants your international education and work ex distinguishes your profile. You have very good GMAT score and work ex but what I don't see is community involvement. If you have some experience thats good if not get involved.
I think you're a well informed candidate who knows his strengths and weaknesses. I think you should be able to get in to your target schools. Just present your application in a sublime manner.

Best,

Check out our new tool MBA Matrix https://EduSimplified.com/mba-matrix
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 08:03
EduSimplified wrote:
Hi Abhay,
You have a very good profile. Even though you come from over represented pool of applicants your international education and work ex distinguishes your profile. You have very good GMAT score and work ex but what I don't see is community involvement. If you have some experience thats good if not get involved.
I think you're a well informed candidate who knows his strengths and weaknesses. I think you should be able to get in to your target schools. Just present your application in a sublime manner.

Best,

Thank You Deep! That feedback is surely encouraging. On the community front I have been voluntary counselling applicants in India who are aiming for MS and more so in Industrial Engineering. Though a lot has been a advice over email I sometimes try to connect with them via chat.

Also during my MS I was part of Indian Graduate Students Association and helped on-board incoming students to provide temporary accommodation and help them settle down.

With work commitments and college application now looming close I am afraid I might not be able to take any new initiative that may strengthen my application in that aspect. What is your take? I can certainly spent 3-5 hrs in a week and become more active in counselling applicants.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 22:24
ag111 wrote:
EduSimplified wrote:
Hi Abhay,
Best,

Thank You Deep! That feedback is surely encouraging. On the community front I have been voluntary counselling applicants in India who are aiming for MS and more so in Industrial Engineering. Though a lot has been a advice over email I sometimes try to connect with them via chat.

Also during my MS I was part of Indian Graduate Students Association and helped on-board incoming students to provide temporary accommodation and help them settle down.

With work commitments and college application now looming close I am afraid I might not be able to take any new initiative that may strengthen my application in that aspect. What is your take? I can certainly spent 3-5 hrs in a week and become more active in counselling applicants.

Hi Abhay,

3-5 hours/week is a good amount of time for you to improve your resume. Good Luck !

Check out our new tool MBA Matrix https://EduSimplified.com/mba-matrix
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please evaluate my profile- Experts two cents!   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2017, 22:24

Please evaluate my profile- Experts two cents!

new topic post reply Update application status