Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Re: Please evaluate my profile for 2018 MBA admission [#permalink]
Thanks a lot for your response. Okay, I will work on getting a better score and hence, retake Gmat. But I am thinking of applying for atleast few colleges such as Queens and HEC Canada first. Probably, once I am ready with my application, I will resume my preparation and retake GMAT.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Aringo wrote:
NothinImPossible wrote:
Hi All,

I gave my GMAT exam today and have scored 610 (61%). Quant (47,63%),Verbal (28,52%) and IR (2,12%). I acknowledge the fact that 610 is not a very competitive score but I would still like to go ahead with the 2018 application process for colleges that are best recommended for my profile.

Can you please evaluate my profile and advise what are the B schools in US and Canada that I can apply considering my current profile and GMAT score.

I am looking forward to apply for either full time MBA or an executive MBA. I am planning to do either general MBA or MBA in MIS.

Work Exp : Indian Female with 8+ Years in 3 Big CMMi level 5 IT companies
GPA : 3.3 (81%)
Work Profile : Business Analyst

Note -> I am yet to start my application process,essays, etc. and I have sent my score to below mentioned colleges:

1) Kelley School of Business, US
2) Rotman, Canada
3) Ivey, Canada
4) Queens, Canada
5) Schulich, Canada

Thanks!

First of all, it seems to me like an executive MBA would be better suited for you due to your work experience, so that would be my recommendation, rather than a regular MBA. you’ll find some information about EMBA programs here: https://aringo.com/emba-programs/

Now, with the GMAT score that you have I don’t believe that your chances of admission in any of the schools you mentioned are very good unfortunately (especially considering that many people believe the Canadian schools will have more applicants than before this time around, due to US policy changes for foreign students), unless there is something really unique about your work experience or background that you haven’t mentioned here. That basically leaves you with two options: 1. Find other schools that are less competitive and aim for those instead. 2. Retake the GMAT.

Out of these options I would strongly recommend number 2, so even though I know it’s not what you wanted to hear, I have to put it out there…

Good luck!

JL

Thanks for recommending appropriate course. I will research on good Canadian universities for eMba.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
NothinImPossible wrote:
Hi All,

I gave my GMAT exam today and have scored 610 (61%). Quant (47,63%),Verbal (28,52%) and IR (2,12%). I acknowledge the fact that 610 is not a very competitive score but I would still like to go ahead with the 2018 application process for colleges that are best recommended for my profile.

Can you please evaluate my profile and advise what are the B schools in US and Canada that I can apply considering my current profile and GMAT score.

I am looking forward to apply for either full time MBA or an executive MBA. I am planning to do either general MBA or MBA in MIS.

Note -> I am yet to start my application process,essays, etc. and I have sent my score to below mentioned colleges:

2) Rotman, Canada
3) Ivey, Canada
4) Queens, Canada
5) Schulich, Canada

Thanks!

Hi there,

All your mentioned schools have way above GMAT scores. You may want to look at Tier 2 schools. Higher work ex does reduce higher GMAT score expectation but not so much. Choose your school based on where you see yourself working post graduation (which industry, function & geography). In US you may want to look at schools ranking 40-50. In Canada, you may want to look at Ryerson, DeGroote, Haskayne, etc. On the plus side, you have good amount of time to prepare a stellar application package for R1. Hope this helps.

Best,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
This is the first time I am posting here so I don't know if I should be making a new post, mods can please do the needful.

I have a make a crucial decision about applying to B-schools for Fall 2018

My profile
GMAT - 730 (Q49, V41), IR - 6, AWA-5
Undergrad - 3.7 ( Calculated from percentage as we did not have a GPA system ).
Undergrad Major - B.Engg in Electronics and Telecommunication
10th - 90%
12th - 80%
Nationality - Indian
Gender - Male

Work Ex - 1yr,3months ( Will be 2 by June 2018 )

Based on my profile, I feel the weak link is my work experience which is much lower than the average work experience of most schools I intend to apply to.
My entire work experience has been in a small product company, where I often have to go out of designated role to get stuff done and manage my and my team's work.

I want to apply to really high ranked schools like Kellogg, Berkeley, Tepper, Georgetown, Booth. Those are the schools I sent my GMAT report to.

Can anybody suggest me if expecting an admit from these schools is a realistic expectation, if not which tier of schools should I aim for?
If my experience really falls short for applying for Fall 2018 semester, would Fall 2019 be a good option? Waiting for 2020 is out of questions as it really is not in-line with my future plans.
Any and all inputs on the topic would really be appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Hi NothinImPossible,

You’ve rightly decided to retake the test, as a higher score will improve your odds at more reputed programs.

Competition in Canadian schools has gone up significantly since the last admissions cycle and is likely to continue at least in the near term. Therefore, and given that you’re from a competitive applicant pool, it’s best to apply with your best possible score.

On Executive MBA, students are typically located close to the geography of the school, and it’s not for those looking to change industry, post-MBA. You may learn more on this here.
Director
Director
Send PM
ameya118 wrote:
This is the first time I am posting here so I don't know if I should be making a new post, mods can please do the needful.

My profile
10th - 90%
12th - 80%
Nationality - Indian
Gender - Male

Based on my profile, I feel the weak link is my work experience which is much lower than the average work experience of most schools I intend to apply to.
My entire work experience has been in a small product company, where I often have to go out of designated role to get stuff done and manage my and my team's work.

I want to apply to really high ranked schools like Kellogg, Berkeley, Tepper, Georgetown, Booth. Those are the schools I sent my GMAT report to.

Can anybody suggest me if expecting an admit from these schools is a realistic expectation, if not which tier of schools should I aim for?
If my experience really falls short for applying for Fall 2018 semester, would Fall 2019 be a good option? Waiting for 2020 is out of questions as it really is not in-line with my future plans.

Hi There,

Congratulations on your decision to pursue an MBA and on scoring such a high GMAT score. You need not convert percent to GPA unless specifically asked by a school.

Yes, you guessed it right ! your work ex is too low to apply to any MBA program. Most business schools have a minimum of 2 year requirement but in my opinion one shouldn't pursue an MBA unless he/she has 4-5 years of work ex. Since you will have 2 years minimum I can't say that you wont get in but how you present the need for an MBA will make or break your candidacy. How will you portray leadership experience? Plus your target schools are top notch too ! Waiting another year will definitely help you build a solid profile on top of your already solid GMAT score.

Hope this helps buddy ! Let me know if you'd like to discuss your profile further over a call.

Best,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
EduSimplified wrote:
ameya118 wrote:

My profile
10th - 90%
12th - 80%
Nationality - Indian
Gender - Male

Hi There,

Congratulations on your decision to pursue an MBA and on scoring such a high GMAT score. You need not convert percent to GPA unless specifically asked by a school.

Yes, you guessed it right ! your work ex is too low to apply to any MBA program. Most business schools have a minimum of 2 year requirement but in my opinion one shouldn't pursue an MBA unless he/she has 4-5 years of work ex. Since you will have 2 years minimum I can't say that you wont get in but how you present the need for an MBA will make or break your candidacy. How will you portray leadership experience? Plus your target schools are top notch too ! Waiting another year will definitely help you build a solid profile on top of your already solid GMAT score.

Hope this helps buddy ! Let me know if you'd like to discuss your profile further over a call.

Best,

Thank you for the reply. I would like to go over a few things over a call. Let me know how.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi ameya118 ! You can find my contact details on my website https://www.EduSimplified.com

Best,
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
NothinImPossible wrote:
Hi All,

2) Rotman, Canada
3) Ivey, Canada
4) Queens, Canada
5) Schulich, Canada

Thanks!

Unfortunately I have to agree with the others that 610 is just not going to get the job done for an Indian. For a top business school that is. Which would be the best way to Leverage The Experience obviously. I would find a verbal tutor and really just put your emphasis on that for the time being. Are you married to going to school in Canada?

It seems like maybe you're a little bit flexible because you're also putting Kelley in the mix. If that's the case then Executive MBA programs in the US have a GMAT waiver for many of them including Kellogg Ross NYU and MIT. If you feel that an Executive MBA might be more appropriate for your age and an altogether better fit, then that might be the direction you want to go.

For Kellogg in Miami they only meet once per month so I'm not really sure where you live or whatever but if you could figure that out once per month that it might make it worth it for you. Same for Ross in LA.

The trick is you do need to have a job to be competitive in that process so that's kind of the sticking point about getting a job of us and also doing the program in the US. I help people who have their own business or whatever so if you have some ties to that in your home country that could ostensibly be a way to go.

Also wanted to add that many of the schools that you listed which are Canadian actually have a January term. So before applying I would really strongly urge you to maximize your ability to get a better score and then if you feel the urgency to apply soon go for the J Term.. you're just not going to like what happens if you apply with a 610 to a top business school as an Indian, I'm sorry.

Just too overrepresented and they can take their pick of who they want,you just won't be competitive unfortunately my dear. There is very good likelihood that somebody else will have your profile but then a better GMAT on top of that.

hope this helps!

https://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
NothinImPossible wrote:
Hi All,

2) Rotman, Canada
3) Ivey, Canada
4) Queens, Canada
5) Schulich, Canada

Thanks!

Unfortunately I have to agree with the others that 610 is just not going to get the job done for an Indian. For a top business school that is. Which would be the best way to Leverage The Experience obviously. I would find a verbal tutor and really just put your emphasis on that for the time being. Are you married to going to school in Canada?

It seems like maybe you're a little bit flexible because you're also putting Kelley in the mix. If that's the case then Executive MBA programs in the US have a GMAT waiver for many of them including Kellogg Ross NYU and MIT. If you feel that an Executive MBA might be more appropriate for your age and an altogether better fit, then that might be the direction you want to go.

For Kellogg in Miami they only meet once per month so I'm not really sure where you live or whatever but if you could figure that out once per month that it might make it worth it for you. Same for Ross in LA.

The trick is you do need to have a job to be competitive in that process so that's kind of the sticking point about getting a job of us and also doing the program in the US. I help people who have their own business or whatever so if you have some ties to that in your home country that could ostensibly be a way to go.

Also wanted to add that many of the schools that you listed which are Canadian actually have a January term. So before applying I would really strongly urge you to maximize your ability to get a better score and then if you feel the urgency to apply soon go for the J Term.. you're just not going to like what happens if you apply with a 610 to a top business school as an Indian, I'm sorry.

Just too overrepresented and they can take their pick of who they want,you just won't be competitive unfortunately my dear. There is very good likelihood that somebody else will have your profile but then a better GMAT on top of that.

hope this helps!

https://MBAPrepCoach.com

Thanks a lot... I was really apprehensive on my next action plan and needed right direction and advice on this. This forum and your kind attention have been very helpful.
Yes I am married and my husband is working in Canada now.
As suggested, I will work on my verbal skills and overall profile and give a better shot next time.
Having said that,I am still trying for De Groote and HEC and working on essays for R2.

Thanks again!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
NothinImPossible wrote:
Hi All,

2) Rotman, Canada
3) Ivey, Canada
4) Queens, Canada
5) Schulich, Canada

Thanks!

Hi there,

I believe that given you have a very good profile. You can retake the GMAT to improve your chances at any good school. Though I understand that you might be time crunched with the application dates nearing, I strongly believe that you can a very good admit if you work on your GMAT. Feel free to sign up for a free consultation if you want to chat further!
Intern
Intern
TaterwaysConsulting wrote:
NothinImPossible wrote:
Hi All,

I gave my GMAT exam today and have scored 660. I acknowledge the fact that 660 is not a very competitive score but I would still like to go ahead with the 2018 application process for colleges that are best recommended for my profile.

2) Rotman, Canada
3) Ivey, Canada
4) Queens, Canada
5) Schulich, Canada

Thanks!

Hi there,

I believe that given you have a very good profile. You can retake the GMAT to improve your chances at any good school. Though I understand that you might be time crunched with the application dates nearing, I strongly believe that you can a very good admit if you work on your GMAT. Feel free to sign up for a free consultation if you want to chat further!

GMAT Club Bot