GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 17:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 09:32
Hi Everyone-

Please can you evaluate my profile?

Undergrad: Tier 2 Public School in NYS state; GPA: 3.52

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Work:
-3.5 years at a Big4 as a Senior Auditor performing Financial Statement Audits for Retail and Media Entertainment clients
-3 years at Top 5 Pharma Company (Market cap) as a Compliance Auditor performing FCPA and Sales and Marketing audits across all markets in the world- So a lot of experience working internationally across diverse teams and close interactions with Senior Leadership locally and internationally. Also- a lot of experience in managing and leading teams through these audits.
- 1.5 years now as a Finance Lead for the same pharma company performing Financial Analysis, Budgeting work for the R&D department.

GMAT
- Started studying. Not taken yet.

Goals for MBA:

-Healthcare. I'd like to stay in the same industry and branch out to the Commercial side of the business and ultimately manage a brand portfolio and become a GM/VP managing an international affiliate eventually.

Any advice, tips, chances?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 16:59
Hey Rohit - Your GMAT will play a big factor in your overall competitiveness at Kellogg, so difficult to give you a real eval without this score. I will say, the rest of your profile is in line for Kellogg, but keep in mind you are coming from a very competitive applicant pool so you will need to aim to hit/exceed Kellogg's GMAT avg which is hovering around 730 these days. Also, don't ignore the importance of the essays at Kellogg. The school really takes these seriously so personal reflection is key here to maximize your chances

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 13:16
rohit9 wrote:
Hi Everyone-
Hi rohit9, happy to review your profile
Please can you evaluate my profile?

Undergrad: Tier 2 Public School in NYS state; GPA: 3.52

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Work:
-3.5 years at a Big4 as a Senior Auditor performing Financial Statement Audits for Retail and Media Entertainment clients
-3 years at Top 5 Pharma Company (Market cap) as a Compliance Auditor performing FCPA and Sales and Marketing audits across all markets in the world- So a lot of experience working internationally across diverse teams and close interactions with Senior Leadership locally and internationally. Also- a lot of experience in managing and leading teams through these audits.
- 1.5 years now as a Finance Lead for the same pharma company performing Financial Analysis, Budgeting work for the R&D department.

GMAT
- Started studying. Not taken yet.

Goals for MBA:

-Healthcare. I'd like to stay in the same industry and branch out to the Commercial side of the business and ultimately manage a brand portfolio and become a GM/VP managing an international affiliate eventually.
I would say that a strong GMAT will help your chances, as well as making the effort to get to know Kellogg and WHY you see yourself fitting there. Visit, talk to current students and think about how your experience working in finance area in pharma can be helpful in sharing information with classmates. For some tips on the essays,
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... mba-essay/ review this article and if you would like to talk about your situation in more detail, please reach out via this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.46
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 13:21
Hi all, was hoping to get some feedback on my profile. Any input is appreciated!

GMAT: 750 (Q49, V42, 8 IR, 6 AWA)
GPA: 3.5/4 in Materials Science & Engineering at a Southern Ivy (Rice/Vanderbilt/Duke), awarded MSCI department's award for leadership as a senior.
Passed levels CFA levels 1 and 2

Extracurriculars during undergrad:
- Organizer of largest on-campus event, responsible for coordinating a week's worth of activities for a group of 300+ students. Worked with local businesses to sponsor the event, had 5-figure budget to work with, led team of 5 organizers
- Founder and president of club sports team
- Orientation advisor junior and senior years (highly competitive, ~10% of applicants are chosen to advise)
- Worked ~20 hours per week in nanotech research lab for 2.5 years on campus

Extracurriculars after graduation:
- Mentor for an inner-city youth baseball program
- Alumni admissions interviewer for alma mater
- Organizer of alumni affairs for the largest on-campus event mentioned above
- Play in amateur baseball league
- Occasionally foster for animal shelter (work hours permitting)

Work experience at time of application: (most recent first):

-1.5 years at boutique RIA in Texas ($6B AUM). Not much history of sending people to B-school, though almost all of senior mangement/C-Suite has MBA from top-10 schools. Started as an analyst on fixed income desk, after 9 months was promoted to associate and given PM-like responsibility for management of a $300M strategy (though no official PM or junior PM title). Expect to have responsibility for another strategy by the time I apply, bringing total AUM I am responsible for to ~$400M. Still have large analytical role with other fixed income strategies, use engineering background for coding & data analysis.

- 6 months as financial advisor with F100 insurance firm. Started here because I wanted to transition into investment management, left because role was more focused on sales than making investment decisions. Concerned this is a very weak part of my application.

- 1.5 years as management consultant in energy department for bronze-tier consulting firm with tech focus (think Quorum, Infosys, etc). Had projects on O&G supermajor & international government client, led offshore teams of 5-10 people on each project.

- Internship with NASA in R&D group as an undergrad. Worked with materials engineers to develop a prototype which was approved for further testing by management.

MBA goal: want to get MBA from top finance program to gain a formal finance education. Currently have very strong analytical skills stemming from engineering background but lack understanding of what makes a successful business tick, which I believe is of utmost importance for investment management. CFA curriculum has filled some of this gap, but is mainly focused on valuation. Also believe I need to improve soft skills to one day lead a team of analysts.

Post MBA goal: Junior PM or similar type role at major asset management firm, preferably one with fixed income focus (PIMCO/DoubleLine/TCW). Long-term goal is to become Chief Investment Officer of an AM firm.
Intern
Intern
B
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 15:27
Updating my post with a recent GMAT score:

Undergrad: Top 10 Public School (Top 5 Undergraduate Business Program)

GPA: 3.7

Work:
-2 Years as a Financial Analyst in a Healthcare commericial/corporate banking group at one of the 4 largest commercial banks in the US. Performed financial analysis of investment grade healthcare systems and developed a strong understanding of the provider space
-3 Years as a Management Consultant for a small healthcare consulting firm.I worked on projects with national healthcare medicaid managed care organizations over 6-7 states so I gained a lot of experience on the payer space and experience with the medicaid/medicare space in a multiple number of states. I've gained experience leading my own work streams and my recommenders (Partner, Senior Manager) can speak to my leadership ability and my client interactions very well.

Other:
-In college, volunteered abroad with a public health organization
-Currently involved in a few volunteering organizations but about to start working with a high school mentorship program this fall

GMAT
-720 (48Q, 41V)

Goals for MBA:

-Healthcare. I'm passionate about the industry and I don't want to change industries. I want to leverage my experience in both the finance/provider and management consulting/payer space and move towards hospital/provider strategy. With that said, I'm targeting schools with strong placements/programs within healthcare.
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 18:45
Hello from a fellow cubsfan :-)

I think overall your profile is strong. Strong GPA and solid GMAT score that will be in Kellogg's range. I think your work experience and mix of roles within healthcare is interesting, and I hope you can use the application essays to really showcase that passion you have for making an impact in healthcare. It sounds like maybe your extracurriculars are a little light. Kellogg is really tough as you know, so while I think you're competitive enough to be considered, there are no guarantees with a school at that level. So I hope you have a range of schools you're considering, including schools like Fuqua, that are also really strong for healthcare.

Best of luck!
Kate

cubsfan10 wrote:

Work:
-2 Years as a Financial Analyst in a Healthcare commericial/corporate banking group at one of the 4 largest commercial banks in the US. Performed financial analysis of investment grade healthcare systems and developed a strong understanding of the provider space
-3 Years as a Management Consultant for a small healthcare consulting firm.I worked on projects with national healthcare medicaid managed care organizations over 6-7 states so I gained a lot of experience on the payer space and experience with the medicaid/medicare space in a multiple number of states. I've gained experience leading my own work streams and my recommenders (Partner, Senior Manager) can speak to my leadership ability and my client interactions very well.

Other:
-Currently involved in a few volunteering organizations but about to start working with a high school mentorship program this fall

GMAT
-720 (48Q, 41V)

Goals for MBA:

-Healthcare. I'm passionate about the industry and I don't want to change industries. I want to leverage my experience in both the finance/provider and management consulting/payer space and move towards hospital/provider strategy. With that said, I'm targeting schools with strong placements/programs within healthcare.

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Human Resources, Technology
GPA: 3.53
WE: Human Resources (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 14:13
Hi everyone! First-time poster, anxiously waiting to hear back from Round 1 applications. Wanted to share my qualifications to start getting a gauage if I should be starting Round 2 applications/planning to re-take GMATs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Profile: 27 Male - Asian American
Undergrad: Top 25 US, Business - Finance and Strategy Consulting
GPA: 3.5, GMAT: 690 (Q48, V36, AWA 6, IR 7)
Job Experience: 6 years - Big 4 Consulting

Personal Evaluation of Strengths:
Full-Sponsorship to return to firm following graduation
6 years of global implementation experiences

Personal Evaluation on Weaknesses:
GMAT Score - especially in comparison to pool of similar candidates (Consulting, Firm Sponsorship)
Low undergrad business GPA in comparison to overall GPA - 3.2

My target program is the 1-year MBA from Kellogg.

Thanks in advance!
MBA Strategy Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 05:19
HopefulCandidate2018 wrote:
Hi everyone! First-time poster, anxiously waiting to hear back from Round 1 applications. Wanted to share my qualifications to start getting a gauage if I should be starting Round 2 applications/planning to re-take GMATs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

GMAT Score - especially in comparison to pool of similar candidates (Consulting, Firm Sponsorship)
Low undergrad business GPA in comparison to overall GPA - 3.2

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
thanks for sharing your profile! A lot of ROund 1 candidates failed due to low GMAT score, As I have seen from your profile, you should focus on Verbal part preparation and re-take GMAT to enlarge your chances to get admitted. I don't think your should worry about your GPA, and full sponsorship proves you have really impacted your company and are of great value to it. Fixed and clear post-MBA career path will be one of your strengths, indeed.

Victoria, MBA Strategy Application Team Lead
Find a Lot of Answers to Top Schools Admissions on Our Blog

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 07:49
mbastrategycom wrote:
HopefulCandidate2018 wrote:

Hi mbastrategycom, I think you have some things working in your favor and then some challenges. The things working in your favor are strong GPA and great work experience and then also sponsorship from your firm. The challenge is the GMAT-
which is a bit lower than the average- but I think you are applying to the best program for this as the sponsorship may trump the GMAT here.

Low undergrad business GPA in comparison to overall GPA - 3.2 I would not go out of my way to highlight the lower GPA on business classes- they don't generally ask for this so just give your overall GPA. Yes- they will see your transcript- but not sure they have time to calculate your business GPA separately!

I know you don't want to hear this- but while you are waiting, you could use the time to retake the GMAT as if you do get a higher score you can certainly let Kellogg know and it might help you if you end up on wait list. Second, I would put a plan B in case just to be safe- and for 1 yr Programs that could be Emory or you could also look at a school with some great design thinking- Rotman in Canada-
it is not 1 YR but might be something to look at to give you more options. Also, with a scholarship from your firm- you will be an attractive candidate to other programs also- consider Kelley, UNC Kenan-Flagler, Fuqua, McDonough, and Olin if you want more options.
Good luck for Kellogg! I did the 1 yr program there and it was a great experience!

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
thanks for sharing your profile! A lot of ROund 1 candidates failed due to low GMAT score, As I have seen from your profile, you should focus on Verbal part preparation and re-take GMAT to enlarge your chances to get admitted. I don't think your should worry about your GPA, and full sponsorship proves you have really impacted your company and are of great value to it. Fixed and clear post-MBA career path will be one of your strengths, indeed.

Expert Post
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 07:54
cubsfan10 wrote:
Hi cubsfan10, I think you have a great profile and a good shot at Kellogg! But I do agree that I would hedge my bets and add some other programs just to have options- I also like Fuqua for their healthcare and since the same strong healthcare market is in the research triangle area also- look down the road to UNC Kenan-Flagler for healthcare also- they have a concentration and Fuqua's HSM program is excellent. I do think that you can present well at Kellogg- if you have not already submitted your application there- here are some essay tips to consider as you approach applications: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... mba-essay/ and if you do want specific interview prep or more tailored suggestions- reach out to us for a free consult at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Work:

Other:

GMAT
-720 (48Q, 41V)

Goals for MBA:

Expert Post
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 08:04
nsimonetti wrote:
Hi all, was hoping to get some feedback on my profile. Any input is appreciated!

GMAT: 750 (Q49, V42, 8 IR, 6 AWA)
GPA: 3.5/4 in Materials Science & Engineering at a Southern Ivy (Rice/Vanderbilt/Duke), awarded MSCI department's award for leadership as a senior.
Passed levels CFA levels 1 and 2
I'd feel very good about all this! Congratulations on some great academic and professional accomplishments!
Extracurriculars during undergrad:
- Organizer of largest on-campus event, responsible for coordinating a week's worth of activities for a group of 300+ students. Worked with local businesses to sponsor the event, had 5-figure budget to work with, led team of 5 organizers
- Founder and president of club sports team As you think about extracurriculars- think about what you learned from the experience- what would you do differently? And how might some of Kellogg's resources help you improve?
- Orientation advisor junior and senior years (highly competitive, ~10% of applicants are chosen to advise)
- Worked ~20 hours per week in nanotech research lab for 2.5 years on campus

Extracurriculars after graduation:
- Mentor for an inner-city youth baseball program Be sure to express love for the Cubs! There's always a Cubs trip somewhere in the Kellogg MBA experience!
- Alumni admissions interviewer for alma mater
- Organizer of alumni affairs for the largest on-campus event mentioned above
- Play in amateur baseball league
- Occasionally foster for animal shelter (work hours permitting)

Work experience at time of application: (most recent first):

-1.5 years at boutique RIA in Texas ($6B AUM). Not much history of sending people to B-school, though almost all of senior mangement/C-Suite has MBA from top-10 schools. Started as an analyst on fixed income desk, after 9 months was promoted to associate and given PM-like responsibility for management of a $300M strategy (though no official PM or junior PM title). Expect to have responsibility for another strategy by the time I apply, bringing total AUM I am responsible for to ~$400M. Still have large analytical role with other fixed income strategies, use engineering background for coding & data analysis.

- 6 months as financial advisor with F100 insurance firm. Started here because I wanted to transition into investment management, left because role was more focused on sales than making investment decisions. Concerned this is a very weak part of my application.

- 1.5 years as management consultant in energy department for bronze-tier consulting firm with tech focus (think Quorum, Infosys, etc). Had projects on O&G supermajor & international government client, led offshore teams of 5-10 people on each project.

- Internship with NASA in R&D group as an undergrad. Worked with materials engineers to develop a prototype which was approved for further testing by management.

MBA goal: want to get MBA from top finance program to gain a formal finance education. Currently have very strong analytical skills stemming from engineering background but lack understanding of what makes a successful business tick, which I believe is of utmost importance for investment management. CFA curriculum has filled some of this gap, but is mainly focused on valuation. Also believe I need to improve soft skills to one day lead a team of analysts. Kellogg looks good - but if you also want to add some schools- UNC Kenan-Flagler has a really strong investment management experiential learning component and I see you as someone who could get a full ride there and also get some great career connections. I also see NYU or Columbia or also UVA as good options if you are looking to broaden your list. Congratulations- as I really think you will present well at many schools in this process. If you'd like someone to look at your profile and give more specific tips- please reach out at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
If you wanted to read about Kenan Investment management fellows- here are some details: http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/news/2 ... llows-2017 I could see the world being your oyster if you chose to look into this. I also think you should make a list of what really is most important to you- and where you see yourself building a career as I do think you could have many choices and you need to think about what you value most to hopefully end up at the best place for you. Think about cost, access to mentors, learning content, recruiting access- and also where you most think you would thrive. I encourage you to visit the schools so you can really get a more personal understanding of which school "fits" you best!

Post MBA goal: Junior PM or similar type role at major asset management firm, preferably one with fixed income focus (PIMCO/DoubleLine/TCW). Long-term goal is to become Chief Investment Officer of an AM firm.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.93
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 12:36
Hello All,

I'm aiming for Kellogg part-time weekend batch (deadline- first week Jan 2018)
Nationality - Indian (In US for last 7 years)
Bachelors in Engineering - From a tier-2 university in India GPA- 7.77/10
Masters in Engineering - From tier-2 university in US GPA- 3.93
GMAT- 700 (q50, v34, IR 8) waiting for awa

Work ex- Working with GE (energy sector) as a power system software consultant for last 5 years. Have a great exposure to different customers internationally.

Can you please evaluate my profile for Kellogg's part-time MBA program. I'm also considering Chicago Booth and Tepper CMU.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.89

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 05:19
Dear all,

Please help evaluate my profile for R1 Kellogg 2Y:

Undergrad: Business Finance in Top school in Southeast Asia

GPA: 3.89
GMAT: 700 (49Q 35V).

Work:
As of now, 2 years experience as management consultant in MBB
- Worked in Bank transformation project (convincing senior management to implement new org. structure that is already implemented and yield productivity improvement by 30%)
- Worked in corporate due diligence - assessing target for leading consumer product goods company in Southeast Asia
- Worked in customer strategy for leading shopping malls in Thailand (Initiate customer segmentation, marketing strategy and new organizational structure)

Extracurricular
- Provided pro-bono consulting to social enterprise
- Participated actively in mentorship program for student community
- Coached university business case club members on business case competition and consulting interviews.
- Led training program in office

Short term Goals :
- Return as a consultant (as scholarship candidate) specializing in retail and customer strategy. Gain interest in retail since young from family business (Drugstore chain in Southeast Asian Country). The last project in shopping mall even strengthen my interest in this area and will eventually run the family business in the long-run.
- Wanna gain expertise in Retail and customer centric approaches from MBA, develop leadership styles (as I will start to have more direct reports) and gain exposure to international experiences to broaden my perspective.

LT goal: Leading family business ( drug store chain in Thailand - 80 branches across country)

Thank you :)
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 22:08
Hi,

Please review my profile for the 1 yr Kellogg program.

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 750 (Q50, V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)

Education
Graduation (2007-11): Bachelor in Engineering from top 10 non-IIT university in India. GPA 8.63/10 (First class hons.)
Post-graduation (2014-16): Post Graduate Diploma in Management from IIM. GPA 3.2/4.33 (top 30% of batch)

Work experience
1. 2011-2014: Technology consultant at a big4 firm. Based in India. Includes an 8-month stint in the Middle East. Though there was no promotion, I was made the team lead after a year. Led a team of 8 in one project and a team of 2 in another.
2. 2016-current: Strategy consultant at a boutique international consulting firm. Based in Malaysia. Worked on a project in Thailand too. Have been working as the lead consultant from my second project onwards, leading a team of 2-3 individuals.

International experience: Worked in India (26 months), Saudi Arabia (8 months), Malaysia (6 months) and Thailand (9 months).

Work Achievements:
1. 2011-14: Received highest performance rating for 2 consecutive years in the big4 firm. Also received certificates and awards for client appreciation and team work.
2. 2016-17: Helped the firm in developing proposals in bidding for consulting projects. Contributed to winning projects worth USD200k. Note that at my level, one is not expected to work on proposals. So this is something I have done beyond the expected responsibilities.

Extra-curricular activities/achievements
1. Elected member of sports committee during PGDM.
2. Campus champions and national finalists at several case study competitions during PGDM organised by corporate such as Deloitte, Panasonic, etc.
3. Member of the IIM sports team for three different sports. Represented the institute in inter-college competitions.
4. Worked as an online columnist at 2 leading sports websites in India. Authored 120+ articles. Still engaged with one of them, but not a frequent writer. Not full-time, part-time work during my under graduation and during my professional life.
5. Former columnist at one of India's leading satire and humour websites.

Community Service
1. Was part of the corporate social responsibility team of the big4 firm. Worked with several local NGOs. Awarded a certificate of appreciation by the firm
2. Have been involved as a volunteer with a few other NGOs. However, I have no documentary proof of my involvement. Hence, not sure if this would count.

Post-MBA goals
Short-term: Top-tier strategy consulting for 2-3 years
Medium to Long term: Start-up on my own

Recommendations
Have a couple of queries here. I can get a recommendation from my manager in the first company with whom I worked for 2 years. He can write a strong recommendation and is currently the director at the firm. Will this be a good option for a recommendation? Or will it be considered less relevant due to the fact that it was about 5-6 years ago?
Also, will a recommendation from a professor from the PGDM course be acceptable? Or does it have to necessarily be from work?

Please let me know what are the areas I can improve upon to further improve my profile.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Expert Post
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 07:15
nishantd88 wrote:
Hi,
Hi nishantd88, looks like a strong profile to me... I will comment below.
Please review my profile for the 1 yr Kellogg program.

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 750 (Q50, V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5) impressive!

Education
Graduation (2007-11): Bachelor in Engineering from top 10 non-IIT university in India. GPA 8.63/10 (First class hons.)
Post-graduation (2014-16): Post Graduate Diploma in Management from IIM. GPA 3.2/4.33 (top 30% of batch)

Work experience
1. 2011-2014: Technology consultant at a big4 firm. Based in India. Includes an 8-month stint in the Middle East. Though there was no promotion, I was made the team lead after a year. Led a team of 8 in one project and a team of 2 in another.
2. 2016-current: Strategy consultant at a boutique international consulting firm. Based in Malaysia. Worked on a project in Thailand too. Have been working as the lead consultant from my second project onwards, leading a team of 2-3 individuals.impressive cross cultural work exposure.

International experience: Worked in India (26 months), Saudi Arabia (8 months), Malaysia (6 months) and Thailand (9 months).

Work Achievements:
1. 2011-14: Received highest performance rating for 2 consecutive years in the big4 firm. Also received certificates and awards for client appreciation and team work.
2. 2016-17: Helped the firm in developing proposals in bidding for consulting projects. Contributed to winning projects worth USD200k. Note that at my level, one is not expected to work on proposals. So this is something I have done beyond the expected responsibilities.

Extra-curricular activities/achievements
1. Elected member of sports committee during PGDM.
2. Campus champions and national finalists at several case study competitions during PGDM organised by corporate such as Deloitte, Panasonic, etc.
3. Member of the IIM sports team for three different sports. Represented the institute in inter-college competitions.
4. Worked as an online columnist at 2 leading sports websites in India. Authored 120+ articles. Still engaged with one of them, but not a frequent writer. Not full-time, part-time work during my under graduation and during my professional life.
5. Former columnist at one of India's leading satire and humour websites.

Community Service
1. Was part of the corporate social responsibility team of the big4 firm. Worked with several local NGOs. Awarded a certificate of appreciation by the firm
2. Have been involved as a volunteer with a few other NGOs. However, I have no documentary proof of my involvement. Hence, not sure if this would count.

Post-MBA goals
Short-term: Top-tier strategy consulting for 2-3 years
Medium to Long term: Start-up on my ownI can see why the 1 YR program is attractive to you with your prior study at IIM and your work experience as a consultant.

Recommendations
Have a couple of queries here. I can get a recommendation from my manager in the first company with whom I worked for 2 years. He can write a strong recommendation and is currently the director at the firm. Will this be a good option for a recommendation? Or will it be considered less relevant due to the fact that it was about 5-6 years ago?I would prioritize having at least one recommendation from your current work manager. One could be from direct supervisor and one could be someone senior that you have reported to on a project where they can give good detail on your contributions.
Also, will a recommendation from a professor from the PGDM course be acceptable? Or does it have to necessarily be from work? Can't say for sure how Kellogg views this- but generally speaking schools much prefer work supervisors to professors-
unless you have some kind of extraordinary interaction with the professor. And I would prioritize more recent recommenders from work if it were me....Good luck to you!

Please let me know what are the areas I can improve upon to further improve my profile.

Expert Post
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 07:48
Hi rambani87,

I think your profile is competitive for Kellogg's part-time program. Your academic background is really strong, and your GMAT is strong too (their average is typically in the 670-680 range for part time). Quantitative skills are definitely a strength of yours given your engineering studies and quant/IR scores, so make sure you demonstrate excellent communication skills through your written materials, and hopefully your recommenders can highlight those skills too. The international exposure is great too. Have you been promoted, or if not, can you show progression in your leadership/responsibilities? That, plus demonstrating clear reasons for how the part-time program will help you, will be important. Overall, I see no major concerns though.

I also suggest you reach out to their Admissions Team for a resume review -- it's a good way to demonstrate interest and get some early feedback too. See here: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pro ... ation.aspx

It's smart to have other schools in the mix, and those two make sense. Michigan Ross also has a part-time program if you want to consider another program in the Midwest.

Best of luck!
Kate

rambani87 wrote:
Hello All,

I'm aiming for Kellogg part-time weekend batch (deadline- first week Jan 2018)
Nationality - Indian (In US for last 7 years)
Bachelors in Engineering - From a tier-2 university in India GPA- 7.77/10
Masters in Engineering - From tier-2 university in US GPA- 3.93
GMAT- 700 (q50, v34, IR 8) waiting for awa

Work ex- Working with GE (energy sector) as a power system software consultant for last 5 years. Have a great exposure to different customers internationally.

Can you please evaluate my profile for Kellogg's part-time MBA program. I'm also considering Chicago Booth and Tepper CMU.
Thanks.

Kate Richardson

mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Expert Post
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 07:59
Hi nichaniche, see in line below for my feedback.
Best of luck!
Kate

nichaniche wrote:
Dear all,

Please help evaluate my profile for R1 Kellogg 2Y:

Undergrad: Business Finance in Top school in Southeast Asia

GPA: 3.89 Great academic background!
GMAT: 700 (49Q 35V). Slightly below Kellogg's average (now up to 724), have you considered a retake? Worth considering, especially if you were practicing higher.

Work:
As of now, 2 years experience as management consultant in MBB A little on the young side, but the MBB name will help a lot and it it looks like you've had great exposure at work and I assume you are applying R1 next year? If so I think that's definitely doable.
- Worked in Bank transformation project (convincing senior management to implement new org. structure that is already implemented and yield productivity improvement by 30%)
- Worked in corporate due diligence - assessing target for leading consumer product goods company in Southeast Asia
- Worked in customer strategy for leading shopping malls in Thailand (Initiate customer segmentation, marketing strategy and new organizational structure)

Extracurricular These are great, but seem to all be in the past? Anything current, or things you can restart?
- Provided pro-bono consulting to social enterprise
- Participated actively in mentorship program for student community
- Coached university business case club members on business case competition and consulting interviews.
- Led training program in office

Short term Goals :
- Return as a consultant (as scholarship candidate) specializing in retail and customer strategy. Gain interest in retail since young from family business (Drugstore chain in Southeast Asian Country). The last project in shopping mall even strengthen my interest in this area and will eventually run the family business in the long-run. This is a great connection to your goals. I think this is a really strong story, and I like the family business aspect to your goals. And the fact that you are sponsored by your firm is a positive.
- Wanna gain expertise in Retail and customer centric approaches from MBA, develop leadership styles (as I will start to have more direct reports) and gain exposure to international experiences to broaden my perspective.

LT goal: Leading family business ( drug store chain in Thailand - 80 branches across country) Interesting! Be sure to connect with Kellogg's Family Enterprise Club, here: https://kellogg.campusgroups.com/family/about/

Any advice, tips, chances? I think your chances are strong. GMAT and possibly light on current extracurriculars are the main things I would seek to improve. Good luck!

Thank you :)

Kate Richardson

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 16:03
Hi Nisha - Your profile should be competitive for Kellogg, strong GMAT, GPA and good work experience with some international exposure helps you out here. With regards to your recommendations, as long as you also have a reccc from your current place of employment then you should be good with also getting a recc from your manager from the past

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 16:19
hey nichaniche really nice profile here. Strong GPA from a good program along with top tier works experience from MBB will tip things in your favor. Your GMAT is a bit lower than the schools avg these days so a higher GMAT would certainly help your cause here but you should still be in line for a positive review with your current profile

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 02:55
Hello, Everybody,

I would be really glad to hear your feedback about my profile. I would like to apply for MBA at Kellogg starting in the autumn of 2018.

Current age: 30
Work experience:
- Various roles (Sales, Project management, Supply Chain, Mergers and Acquisitions) within leading aero-engine manufacturer. I have managed to deliver quantifiable deliverables in each of my roles - including a $2bn of benefits in my current role. Worked in Germany and UK
- Total approx. work experience at time of application ~6 years

Education:
B.A (Bulgaria/Germany, merit) Business Management and M.Sc (Singapore, top of the class) in Supply Chain Management

Other:
Started own business in UK, distributing an innovative supplement. Established supply chain for the product and launched with major retailers. Achieved break-even in 2 yrs
Partner in an infrastructure project for development of new airport in Bulgaria. Engaged and negotiated with investors form Asia, created the business plan for the project
Advisor at a start-up for chatbot technology
Contributing for charity organisation helping African businesses
Launched Leadership Programme for high school students in Bulgaria
Six Sigma Green Belt Certified, Project Management in Practice certificate

Race/nationality: White / Bulgarian
Sex: Male
GMAT Score: 650

Goal of MBA: Launch own business. In short-term, join a VC to get exposure to start-up culture and practices
Target Schools: INSEAD, Kellogg Cambridge, Oxford (mainly one year programs)

Thank you in advance for your time and support!
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 01 Nov 2017, 02:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13    Next  [ 255 posts ] 

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Gnpth

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap