GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 05:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 02:38
Hi Taar19,

Thank you for sharing your profile, congrats on a 760 GMAT score! You have a very interesting profile that I would like to learn more about. From a macro-view, your experience is highly competitive. However, to provide further details, I would need to gain a better understanding of the nature and scope of your job, your career plan, the reason for an MBA, and why you are targeting Kellogg.

If interested, please reach out to coordinate a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

Taar19 wrote:
Hi expert!

Profile:
Indian, female, 25 yrs
Bachelor of Design (2015) from India's top design institute
Graduated with Gold Medal
Study exchange participant to QUT, Brisbane, Australia
3 years work experience:
2 years with leading Indian silverware product firm
1 year as brand manager, currciulum designer for a group of schools
1 year as founder & CEO of a publishing firm for educational books.
GMAT score: 760

Con: Limited international and MNC experience.

Look forward to your assessment!

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Experts' Global Representative
G
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 05:31
Taar19 wrote:
Hi expert!

Profile:
Indian, female, 25 yrs
3 years work experience:

Hello Taar19,

Thanks for posting here.

Definitely, a differentiated profile with a very strong GMAT score :-) Resultantly, you make a competitive candidate :-)

However, a detailed profile evaluation will require a few other details such as:
- your career progress and achievements
- need for an MBA
- goals post- MBA

We look forward to hearing from you soon :-)

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

MBA Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 23:31
Hi Taar19,

You have an interesting profile. Your academic performance is top notch, and this will definitely help you. At this point, I'm not able to see a pattern to your work history. It is also unclear what your post-MBA career goals are. The more well put-together this story is, the stronger your application will be.

And then there is the part where we discuss your leadership stories - do you have any? Any extracurriculars? These will also play a part in determining if you have a good shot. Why don't you schedule an appointment (using the link in the signature), and we can have a call to discuss this further?

Best,
Karthik

Taar19 wrote:
Hi expert!

Profile:
Indian, female, 25 yrs
3 years work experience:

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 10:05
Hi All! Would appreciate a profile review for the Part Time MBA program.

Background Work experience:

4 Year in market research analytics, started at the top firm and promoted to senior analyst, then accepted an offer to move to a smaller, syndicated research firm at a manager level. Current take home is 90K which seems reasonable for the field.

Very strong recommendations from past employers and multiple awards and extracurriculars at both companies.

Extra curriculars:
Current:

Big Brother Big Sisters Mentor

Work related service days

College: Led services at the chapel (should I include?) Class representative one year Business Manager for D1 sports team (not a big sport though)

Undergrad school/major:

top 30 research university/Economics (focus in math and stats)

Other education/coursework: Classwork at Tufts in Ethnomusicology (4.0 GPA) Berklee School of Music summer program (4.0 GPA)

Love music and its one of my side passions.

Race/nationality: White American

Sex: Male

Stats

GMAT Score : 690

I think the breakdown was 42/44/8/? (havent heard back on essay yet).

98th percentile on verbal but very low quant score. I've always been bad at math so it isn't a surprise for me. I literally didnt do one verbal practice problem... just comes way easier than the math does.

My plan here is to spend another couple months studying quant and hopefully getting that score to a 45ish, and having a similar final score (I think I lucked out a bit on the verbal) but a better split.

With my target school though, I'm not sure I need to retake... let me know what you think!

Undergrad GPA: 3.2/4.00

Not much to say here. Top 30 USA school an majored in economics. As you can tell with my quant score, I've never been great at math but I absolutely loved the field, so I struggled through it. Happy with my decision even though of course I would have gotten a better gpa with an easier major.

MBA Info Goal of MBA:

Switch fields somewhat into brand consulting. I love the consultative parts of my position currently and think I am well suited for the field, but it was impossible to break in with my undergrad GPA.

Just want to know if I'm targeting the right schools and if I have a shot.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 11:30
Hi hd1992!

I think overall you have a pretty solid profile for the Kellogg part time program. And I can see how it would be a great fit for your background and goals. The areas that stand out to me most are your progression and top performance in your work roles, and the management experience you've already had with only 4 years experience (often the benefit of switching to a smaller firm!). I also love that you have a passion for music and you've taken steps to study the field too. Definitely be sure to highlight that where appropriate (resume, essays).

The main challenge I see for you is your academics/quant skills -- 3.2 is a pretty good GPA for a part-time program, but not amazing. If your major GPA was higher or the GPA trended upward over the four years, that will look better, but if there are courses you failed (or have D's in) I would consider some supplemental coursework before you apply. I agree that your overall GMAT is on target for Kellogg part-time, but your quant score is low, so I think it's smart to retake to see if you can gain a few points there. Kellogg is not known for being a "quant heavy" program, but the skills are still valued, especially if you want to go into consulting later. Make sure you use your resume to highlight quant-related accomplishments and have your recommenders attest to these skills too.

Also, I think you have enough extracurriculars to "check the box" but if there's anything you can do to amp up your leadership, like planning a service day, or leading a fundraising effort, helping to recruit other mentors, etc., that would be great! I would likely include the chapel role on the application (assuming it was voluntary) as a college activity. Good evidence of your commitment to that community and also a good signal of your public speaking skills!

Hope this helps!
Kate

hd1992 wrote:

4 Year in market research analytics, started at the top firm and promoted to senior analyst, then accepted an offer to move to a smaller, syndicated research firm at a manager level. Current take home is 90K which seems reasonable for the field.

Very strong recommendations from past employers and multiple awards and extracurriculars at both companies.

Extra curriculars:
Current:

College: Led services at the chapel (should I include?) Class representative one year Business Manager for D1 sports team (not a big sport though)

Undergrad school/major:

Other education/coursework: Classwork at Tufts in Ethnomusicology (4.0 GPA) Berklee School of Music summer program (4.0 GPA)

Stats

98th percentile on verbal but very low quant score. I've always been bad at math so it isn't a surprise for me. I literally didnt do one verbal practice problem... just comes way easier than the math does.

My plan here is to spend another couple months studying quant and hopefully getting that score to a 45ish, and having a similar final score (I think I lucked out a bit on the verbal) but a better split.

With my target school though, I'm not sure I need to retake... let me know what you think!

Not much to say here. Top 30 USA school an majored in economics. As you can tell with my quant score, I've never been great at math but I absolutely loved the field, so I struggled through it. Happy with my decision even though of course I would have gotten a better gpa with an easier major.

MBA Info Goal of MBA:

Switch fields somewhat into brand consulting. I love the consultative parts of my position currently and think I am well suited for the field, but it was impossible to break in with my undergrad GPA.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

MBA Admissions Consultant
B
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 23:48
Hi hd1992,

Let's dissect your profile a bit:

1) Work experience - interesting and evolving area of work. Good leadership experience.

2) Analytical background - good undergraduate school. Econ degree would be a positive. GMAT and GPA - marginally on the lower side, especially the quantitative aspect. Could raise some flags about your ability to cope up with rigorous coursework.

3) EC's - great EC's. Sure mention your church activities - why not?

4) Goals - it's difficult for me to say how relevant the goal is without looking at some of your past projects and trying to understand if you have enough by way of transferable skills - if yes, this shouldn't be a problem.

Overall, I think you should have a competitive application to the part time program. A higher GMAT will definitely help. Consider a few other schools as well.

Regards,
Karthik

hd1992 wrote:

Extra curriculars:
Current:

Undergrad school/major:

Stats

MBA Info Goal of MBA:

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Intern
Intern
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 04:25
Hi All,

I would really appreciate a profile review for Kellogg FT MBA program :

Background: Indian, Male, Clean energy industry
GMAT: 740 (50Q/39V)
GPA: 3.58 (8.6/10)
Degree: B.E. Mech Engineering from BITS Pilani (Top 6 Eng. Institutes in India)
International Experience: 1.2 Years
Experience: Total 4 Years, 1+ in German Chancellor Fellowship Leadership Program, Germany. Role : Enhancing German collaboration and investment in India's clean energy startup ecosystem - Provide market entry consulting to German Startups, Investment analysis and advisory to a Large solar multinational. 2+ years of experience in a leadership role (business strategy) role at a fast-growing clean energy startup in India
Extracurricular: Have experience as an organizer for Hyderabad Trekking Club, Ambassador to German Indian Startup Exchange initiative, Content writing and blogging. No leadership role, however.
Post MBA goals : Wish to remain in the clean energy/sustainability field. Energy Consulting.
Recommendation : Strong recommendations. One from a current Venture Partner and other from COO of a large solar multinational.
MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 04:56
kapurshrey wrote:
Hi All,

Experience: Total 4 Years, 1+ in German Chancellor Fellowship Leadership Program, Germany. Role : Enhancing German collaboration and investment in India's clean energy startup ecosystem - Provide market entry consulting to German Startups, Investment analysis and advisory to a Large solar multinational. 2+ years of experience in a leadership role (business strategy) role at a fast-growing clean energy startup in India
Extracurricular: Have experience as an organizer for Hyderabad Trekking Club, Ambassador to German Indian Startup Exchange initiative, Content writing and blogging. No leadership role, however.
Post MBA goals : Wish to remain in the clean energy/sustainability field. Energy Consulting.
Recommendation : Strong recommendations. One from a current Venture Partner and other from COO of a large solar multinational.

Hi kapurshrey,

You have a great profile. I specifically like your work experience with the German Chancellor program. I am just not very convinced about applying to Kellogg though, its traditionally not known for energy (.8% recruitment - check the employment report). I'd recommend a few other other MBAs- Tuck, Duke, Haas, McCombs and Rice.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:11
Hello kapurshrey

You seem to have covered all the bases on Academics, Work Ex, Extracurricular, Goals (you can read more on why these matter the most here)
Key for you is going to be execution of your written application. Identifying the right stories, and charting an organic pre-MBA to post-MBA journey.
There are many schools better suited to your profile- what other schools are you applying to?
Should you have further questions, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

kapurshrey wrote:
Hi All,

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:26
Other Schools I am applying to : HBS, Stanford, Haas, Sloan, LBS, Booth
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:29
Just one advice then- bump up your GMAT man. You definitely have other goods to show, but in this list 710 is not gonna cut it.
kapurshrey wrote:
Other Schools I am applying to : HBS, Stanford, Haas, Sloan, LBS, Booth

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:30
Did you mean 740?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:54
Absolutely :thumbup:

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

kapurshrey wrote:
Did you mean 740?

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Kellogg '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.57
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 01:20
Hello,
Please evaluate my profile for the full time program.

Thai, Male 28
Education Background; Bachelor of Economics GPA 3.54
TARGET GMAT 720

International Exposure; 1year High school exchange in Europe/ 4months in USA /
2 years as an exchange student and an expat in Japan.

Work experience; Current position as import buyer for Japanese FMCG Firm in Japan.
3 years as Sales Executive in International Trading Company(Automotive and Electronics goods). 2 persons in team.
1 year as Japanese Interpreter in the factory.

Post MBA Goal; Career Change to Consulting, mainly in International strategy field.
Recommendation; Past Thai coworker + Japanese Boss
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 04:00
Hello sirpumpkin

Looks pretty solid overall. Focus on showcasing your work related achievements and how you are a better performed vs your peers.
You can read here on all factors that will matter in your profile.
Recommendations from co-workers do not carry the same weight as a supervisor (even if in a past role). So be careful there- I'll suggest look for a supervisor, client or someone senior who can comment on your work.
If you can tie in a cohesive message in your written application you have a fighting chance.
Should you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

sirpumpkin wrote:
Hello,

Thai, Male 28
TARGET GMAT 720

Work experience; Current position as import buyer for Japanese FMCG Firm in Japan.
3 years as Sales Executive in International Trading Company(Automotive and Electronics goods). 2 persons in team.

Post MBA Goal; Career Change to Consulting, mainly in International strategy field.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 07:50
sirpumpkin wrote:
Hello,

Thai, Male 28
TARGET GMAT 720

Sirpumpkin,

Good Day Sir!
You seem to have moved up pretty well between your last and current positions. An important data point here would be your achievements and impact on your company's business, and that would also be important to determine the strength of your profile. Your role as a factory interpreter would have probably not provided you much in terms of business objectives, but it could be positioned well to showcase the softer skills that are critical for business leaders to possess.
I can't relate how your past experience would connect with a career in consulting, so without further info, I don't think it right to comment on that.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GRE 1: Q166 V168
GPA: 2.7

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 09:28
Thanks for taking the time to review!

I originally was not planning on Kellogg, I had identified Michigan, Darden and Cornell as my schools but after a free call with an admissions consultant they asked why I wasn't applying to Harvard, MIT and Kellogg. I pretty much laughed. I had a low undergrad GPA so didn't think I had a chance, but they seemed serious. Was hoping to get another point of feedback from folks on here.

Undergrad: Double Major B.S. Mechanical Engineering, B.S. Biomedical Engineering at state school

GPA: 2.7 Started well, poor middle section, ended well. No personal tragedy or anything I was just in the mindset of getting through it and spread myself across a ton of other things.

GRE: 168V 166Q first attempt, think I could bump up quant if I decided to take again. I think that corresponds to 760 GMAT on charts but I know it's not really directly relatable...

Work: About to hit 3 years, 4 upon matriculation. Went from associate product development engineer for top medical device company focusing on implant hardware design to managing a program of 10 people responsible for executing the integration of hardware and software on all new project releases. Work as a liaison across the hardware and software business divisions where I regularly meet with project teams, engineers and senior management. Get to work with and still do engineering design with some of the top surgeons in the field. Do a lot of philanthropy with the company and have been a part of a number of successful side initiatives. My favorite one was an MBA style project I lead in a company wide innovation competition to pitch an idea to help mitigate trauma pathologies in an emerging market, ended up winning 1st place and a few awards. Subsequent year I helped to facilitate 4 other teams through the competition. Have gotten a few work and professional certifications.

Extra curriculars: I logged about 1000+ hours of volunteering during last few years of undergrad and won outstanding service award, also worked in a research lab for 3 years and captained a club sports team for a few years among a number of other things. I currently volunteer with my dog as a therapy dog team at local hospitals/nursing homes, do philanthropy with my company, am involved in a fundraiser for a program taking inner city kids outdoors that I've been involved with since college and some other small things. Have also been a part of a few leadership programs, one was a year long where I was paired with a CEO of a major medical device company that was really fun to be a part of!

Goal: I really loved that MBA style project I did and have strong interest in medical device design for emerging markets and leading a global healthcare company in product development. My current role of working across divisions with senior management and leadership made me realize I could really benefit from a better financial background. I am targeting programs that have a dual degree in systems or design engineering.

Recommenders: I have 3-5 folks who I think would give me a very strong recommendation. My current boss saw the work I was doing and created an entirely new role for me managing a cross-division program, and one of the senior engineering managers I work with daily is one of the most well respected in the division and is an adjunct professor at a top school. Still choosing between others.

Overall I'm excited but worried the low college gpa will hamstring me. I am considering taking a high level math class but haven't had time yet with GRE.

I would really appreciate any feedback and thoughts on whether I'd be a good candidate for better programs, I was thinking top 20 but wondering if I'd have a shot at programs like MMM, LGO or Harvard's MBA/MS. Thanks! :-)
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 12:37
Hi Loanme!

Thanks for reaching out. A low GPA alone doesn't disqualify you from top schools, but of course it is a challenge. I am very impressed by your work background, especially the cross-functional work you do, the senior management exposure, and the competition you won is a great example of how you can be successful in an MBA-like team. Great extra curricular activities too! And yes, your GRE will be considered very strong.

I think Michigan, Darden and Cornell are good targets for you. Have you also considered Duke? Quite strong within Healthcare, though I'm not sure if they have a joint engineering program.

Kellogg also seems in reach for you. The MMM program would be right up your alley, and I think Kellogg will respond well to the teamwork and community engagement you've shown. It's also a great application for someone with a challenge like a low GPA because Kellogg has video questions where you can show them your personality and communication skills, and they also interview every applicant, so you have a chance to share your story in person too. So I would give Kellogg a shot! I feel less great about your chances at Harvard and MIT though. I've just not seen many applicants with <3.0 GPAs be successful at those schools. Could be possible with well executed applications, possibly pulling any alumni connections you have, but I think they're much more of a long shot.

Hope this helps!
Kate

Loanme wrote:

I originally was not planning on Kellogg, I had identified Michigan, Darden and Cornell as my schools but after a free call with an admissions consultant they asked why I wasn't applying to Harvard, MIT and Kellogg. I pretty much laughed. I had a low undergrad GPA so didn't think I had a chance, but they seemed serious. Was hoping to get another point of feedback from folks on here.

Undergrad: Double Major B.S. Mechanical Engineering, B.S. Biomedical Engineering at state school

GPA: 2.7 Started well, poor middle section, ended well. No personal tragedy or anything I was just in the mindset of getting through it and spread myself across a ton of other things.

GRE: 168V 166Q first attempt, think I could bump up quant if I decided to take again. I think that corresponds to 760 GMAT on charts but I know it's not really directly relatable...

Work: About to hit 3 years, 4 upon matriculation. Went from associate product development engineer for top medical device company focusing on implant hardware design to managing a program of 10 people responsible for executing the integration of hardware and software on all new project releases. Work as a liaison across the hardware and software business divisions where I regularly meet with project teams, engineers and senior management. Get to work with and still do engineering design with some of the top surgeons in the field. Do a lot of philanthropy with the company and have been a part of a number of successful side initiatives. My favorite one was an MBA style project I lead in a company wide innovation competition to pitch an idea to help mitigate trauma pathologies in an emerging market, ended up winning 1st place and a few awards. Subsequent year I helped to facilitate 4 other teams through the competition. Have gotten a few work and professional certifications.

Extra curriculars: I logged about 1000+ hours of volunteering during last few years of undergrad and won outstanding service award, also worked in a research lab for 3 years and captained a club sports team for a few years among a number of other things. I currently volunteer with my dog as a therapy dog team at local hospitals/nursing homes, do philanthropy with my company, am involved in a fundraiser for a program taking inner city kids outdoors that I've been involved with since college and some other small things. Have also been a part of a few leadership programs, one was a year long where I was paired with a CEO of a major medical device company that was really fun to be a part of!

Goal: I really loved that MBA style project I did and have strong interest in medical device design for emerging markets and leading a global healthcare company in product development. My current role of working across divisions with senior management and leadership made me realize I could really benefit from a better financial background. I am targeting programs that have a dual degree in systems or design engineering.

Recommenders: I have 3-5 folks who I think would give me a very strong recommendation. My current boss saw the work I was doing and created an entirely new role for me managing a cross-division program, and one of the senior engineering managers I work with daily is one of the most well respected in the division and is an adjunct professor at a top school. Still choosing between others.

Overall I'm excited but worried the low college gpa will hamstring me. I am considering taking a high level math class but haven't had time yet with GRE.

I would really appreciate any feedback and thoughts on whether I'd be a good candidate for better programs, I was thinking top 20 but wondering if I'd have a shot at programs like MMM, LGO or Harvard's MBA/MS. Thanks! :-)

Kate Richardson
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GRE 1: Q166 V168
GPA: 2.7

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 15:15
Thanks for the prompt response Kate, definitely appreciate your insight! Duke is a great idea, I'll have to see if they have any dual degree programs. I know they have a engineering management degree. I will definitely look more into the MMM at this point. Not surprised to hear about MIT/Harvard being a long shot. It wasn't really even a pipe dream for me when I started the process.

In your experience, does a low gpa preclude me from any kind of substantial scholarships for the (somewhat) lower tier schools like Darden and Johnson? Is it mostly metric based? Is there anything specific in my profile you see worth focusing on from a scholarship standpoint?

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi Loanme!

Thanks for reaching out. A low GPA alone doesn't disqualify you from top schools, but of course it is a challenge. I am very impressed by your work background, especially the cross-functional work you do, the senior management exposure, and the competition you won is a great example of how you can be successful in an MBA-like team. Great extra curricular activities too! And yes, your GRE will be considered very strong.

I think Michigan, Darden and Cornell are good targets for you. Have you also considered Duke? Quite strong within Healthcare, though I'm not sure if they have a joint engineering program.

Kellogg also seems in reach for you. The MMM program would be right up your alley, and I think Kellogg will respond well to the teamwork and community engagement you've shown. It's also a great application for someone with a challenge like a low GPA because Kellogg has video questions where you can show them your personality and communication skills, and they also interview every applicant, so you have a chance to share your story in person too. So I would give Kellogg a shot! I feel less great about your chances at Harvard and MIT though. I've just not seen many applicants with <3.0 GPAs be successful at those schools. Could be possible with well executed applications, possibly pulling any alumni connections you have, but I think they're much more of a long shot.

Hope this helps!
Kate

Loanme wrote:

G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 19:16
Happy to help, Loanme.

A low GPA doesn't preclude you from scholarships but it does make them less likely, as academic strength of your profile is typically one factor in consideration. But it varies by school and by year, as certain schools may be trying to attract applicants from a certain background or industry. We have had some prior clients with low GPAs receive scholarships, so it is possible, especially at schools where your GRE is significantly above median.

Hope this helps!
Kate

Loanme wrote:
Thanks for the prompt response Kate, definitely appreciate your insight! Duke is a great idea, I'll have to see if they have any dual degree programs. I know they have a engineering management degree. I will definitely look more into the MMM at this point. Not surprised to hear about MIT/Harvard being a long shot. It wasn't really even a pipe dream for me when I started the process.

In your experience, does a low gpa preclude me from any kind of substantial scholarships for the (somewhat) lower tier schools like Darden and Johnson? Is it mostly metric based? Is there anything specific in my profile you see worth focusing on from a scholarship standpoint?

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

Kate Richardson

Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jul 2018, 19:16

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15    Next  [ 290 posts ] 

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Gnpth

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap