GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 13
Location: India
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 18:33
Yes,I have done my masters.
Also regarding my recommendation, my ex- manager is now working in real-estate, I never did..he was my manager in one of the companies I have worked in


MBADecoder wrote:
bhanu88 wrote:
Hello,

Please review my profile for Kellogg 1-Y program:

Background: Indian, Male, 30 yr old
Current Industry: Tobacco Products
GMAT: 750 (49Q/44V, IR 6 AWA 5)
GPA: 3.7 (9.15/10)
Degree: B.Pharm from BITS Pilani (Department Rank 1) (Top 6 Eng. Institutes in India)
International Experience: 0 Years
Experience: Total 5 Years, Interned in Goldman Sachs & ITC; Worked in ITC (largest Indian conglomerate), Procter and Gamble and now Philip Morris- Marlboro looking after East India (10 states) for the company.
Extracurricular:College clubs, photography enthusiast - have won a few regional competitions here, Mentor to students appearing for competitive exams- a few of them got into the best institutes in India, No leadership role, however.
Post MBA goals : Change to healthcare industry
Recommendation : Decent recommendaton - from business head of real estate company(ex-manager) and current manager


Hi Bhanu,

Just wondering why your work experience is only 5 years if you are 30 years old? Most Indians start working earlier. HAve you also done Masters?
Your GMAT score is very competitive. You have worked with some big name companies, which would be beneficial in the application. More important though, would be your achievements and the impact you have created through your work.

We'd need to understand how you arrived at your goals before we comment on them. Moreover, the health care industry is vaaast. You will have to be very specific about where, which companies, what kind of role, and ofcourse how it connects with both your past experience as well as future aspirations.

Recommendations- I don't see any description of a real estate company in your career summary, so I am wondering how old is that experience and whether it will add value to get a recommendation from here.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1803
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 22:19
bhanu88 wrote:
Yes,I have done my masters.
Also regarding my recommendation, my ex- manager is now working in real-estate, I never did..he was my manager in one of the companies I have worked in



Ok, that makes sense about both the Master's and the manager.

Be sure that the manager who is recommending you is worked with you recentlt. You are getting one reco from your current company, so the other one could be from a previous company. I like to ensure the 3 year rule, even when suggesting recommenders (you should have worked with them in the past 3 years).

Let us know if you need help on your app. We have a Kellog 1-year MBA alumnus on MBA Decoder's panel of consultants.
_________________
Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Oct 2018
Posts: 4
Location: United States
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 11:51
1
Hi everyone,

See below for my profile. Very down-the-fairway private equity applicant, but do want to get your thoughts on what I can do to differentiate, stand out, etc. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Age: 26, white male
Undergrad: Top 15 US undergrad, double major in Finance and Accounting
GPA: 3.6/4.0
Work: 1 year of investment banking (bulge bracket), 2 years of private equity (2 now, 3 upon matriculation; got hired after only one year of investment banking) in the Midwest, promoted to Senior Associate in current PE role
GMAT: 730 (Q45 V45), taken once, wondering if I should spend time studying and retaking or focusing on other parts of my application
Recommenders: two senior leaders at my PE firm; both with MBAs from top programs (HBS, Kellogg, etc.)
ECs: leadership role in local private equity association, volunteering through work with economically disadvantaged students in my city, a few leadership roles in college

The feedback I have from other peers in private equity is that my GMAT score is fine, given the rest of my (presumably strong) candidate profile. I do want to return to private equity or a similar investing role post-MBA. Wondering if I should retake the GMAT, or spend my limited time crafting my essays and fine-tuning the rest of the application.

Kellogg is my top choice - thanks!
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 605
Location: United States (NY)
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 13:15
1
Hi 19ninetytwo,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Your GMAT score is good, and if you have limited time (which I believe you do since you are working in PE), I recommend you use that time to fine-tune your application instead. However, if you do have time, I'd recommend re-taking the GMAT for a stronger quant score. Overall, you have a strong profile, competitive for Kellogg, but again, your application must be compelling as PE is very competitive.

Happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please reach out for a consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!




19ninetytwo wrote:
Hi everyone,

See below for my profile. Very down-the-fairway private equity applicant, but do want to get your thoughts on what I can do to differentiate, stand out, etc. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Age: 26, white male
Undergrad: Top 15 US undergrad, double major in Finance and Accounting
GPA: 3.6/4.0
Work: 1 year of investment banking (bulge bracket), 2 years of private equity (2 now, 3 upon matriculation; got hired after only one year of investment banking) in the Midwest, promoted to Senior Associate in current PE role
GMAT: 730 (Q45 V45), taken once, wondering if I should spend time studying and retaking or focusing on other parts of my application
Recommenders: two senior leaders at my PE firm; both with MBAs from top programs (HBS, Kellogg, etc.)
ECs: leadership role in local private equity association, volunteering through work with economically disadvantaged students in my city, a few leadership roles in college

The feedback I have from other peers in private equity is that my GMAT score is fine, given the rest of my (presumably strong) candidate profile. I do want to return to private equity or a similar investing role post-MBA. Wondering if I should retake the GMAT, or spend my limited time crafting my essays and fine-tuning the rest of the application.

Kellogg is my top choice - thanks!

_________________
Susan Berishaj
Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 476
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 05:09
19ninetytwo wrote:
Hi everyone,

See below for my profile. Very down-the-fairway private equity applicant, but do want to get your thoughts on what I can do to differentiate, stand out, etc. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Age: 26, white male
Undergrad: Top 15 US undergrad, double major in Finance and Accounting
GPA: 3.6/4.0
Work: 1 year of investment banking (bulge bracket), 2 years of private equity (2 now, 3 upon matriculation; got hired after only one year of investment banking) in the Midwest, promoted to Senior Associate in current PE role
GMAT: 730 (Q45 V45), taken once, wondering if I should spend time studying and retaking or focusing on other parts of my application
Recommenders: two senior leaders at my PE firm; both with MBAs from top programs (HBS, Kellogg, etc.)
ECs: leadership role in local private equity association, volunteering through work with economically disadvantaged students in my city, a few leadership roles in college

The feedback I have from other peers in private equity is that my GMAT score is fine, given the rest of my (presumably strong) candidate profile. I do want to return to private equity or a similar investing role post-MBA. Wondering if I should retake the GMAT, or spend my limited time crafting my essays and fine-tuning the rest of the application.

Kellogg is my top choice - thanks!


Hi 19ninetytwo,

Thanks for writing in.

While the GMAT score looks good, a retake will really boost your chances and may be quite worth it. Having said that, if you feel you could better utilize this time putting forth a stronger application with meaningful essays, you may skip the retake.

The career goals look promising and if you are able to present your candidature well through your essays, you stand a strong chance.

Thanks.

All the best! :-)
_________________
Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Kellogg School Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Reviews Badge
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 08:55
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile below!

Background and nationality: Male, White, US citizen, 25 years old.

Undergrad Information: BBA in finance from Ohio State 3.2 GPA ( I had one bad semester where I dealt with depression from the death of my best friend, dragging down my gpa. I plan to use the optional essay to explain this).

GMAT: 730 (Q 47, V 44, IR 6, AWA 6)

Work experience and leadership: At the time of applying, will be 5 years working as a financial analyst for major bank with one promotion to intermediate analyst. In charge of a team of analysts based in India, led many projects, and have mentored some of the associates on my team.

Community and others: Done many different volunteering activities but not through only one organization. Currently part of a mentoring program through Ohio State. Serving on the board of a non-profit Irish heritage organization (Even though I'm not Irish).

Post MBA goals: Wanting to either switch to investment banking or consulting.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Sep 2017
Posts: 11
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 14:27
1
I am applying to kellogg in the next few months (R2). please let me know what you guys think!

Background and nationality: Singaporean Male, age 29 (will be 30 when I join the MBA)
Undergrad Information: Singapore Management University (majored in Quantitative Finance, GPA 3.0, my class only had 30 people out of the 2k+ that were in my school, so the average GPA was between 2.9-3.1)

GMAT: 650

Work experience and leadership (total 4 years now, will be 5 by the time i join):
1) worked as an algo-trader at a tier 1 investment bank in singapore
2) currently working at a mexican startup (in mexico), where i'm head of all securitizations and strategic planning. have raised USD 90 mm so far for the company (making us the most well funded startup in mexico). led one of the first asset purchase programs in Latin American history between an international bank and a start up. work constantly with top tier VCs for funding + day to day operations. only finance person in the company that programs

Community and others:
- spent 2 years in the singapore army (was a 1st lieutenant in the army). ran local and overseas missions, had a platoon of 50 men under me.
- am a semi-professional standup comedian. have performed in 3 different countries (including laugh factory in LA). have opened for several top comedians in mexico. one of the few to do standup in both spanish and english


Post MBA goals
- want to shift to consulting/IBD. relates closely with my current job of solving problems/helping w funding. with the MBA, I'd want to scale these responsibilities.

Anything else?
I'm trilingual. English, Hindi and Spanish all at professional working capacity/native fluency
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 476
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 04:38
jaja231 wrote:
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile below!

Background and nationality: Male, White, US citizen, 25 years old.

Undergrad Information: BBA in finance from Ohio State 3.2 GPA ( I had one bad semester where I dealt with depression from the death of my best friend, dragging down my gpa. I plan to use the optional essay to explain this).

GMAT: 730 (Q 47, V 44, IR 6, AWA 6)

Work experience and leadership: At the time of applying, will be 5 years working as a financial analyst for major bank with one promotion to intermediate analyst. In charge of a team of analysts based in India, led many projects, and have mentored some of the associates on my team.

Community and others: Done many different volunteering activities but not through only one organization. Currently part of a mentoring program through Ohio State. Serving on the board of a non-profit Irish heritage organization (Even though I'm not Irish).

Post MBA goals: Wanting to either switch to investment banking or consulting.

Thanks!


Hello jaja231,

Thanks for writing in.

Overall, your work experience, coupled with leadership experience with a cross-cultural team sounds good. The social sector experience, though, not stellar will add to the talking points in your application.

Having said the above, your GMAT score is just around the average at Kellogg and a retake would definitely help boost your chances and particularly help compensate for the GPA bit. However, whether or not you choose to retake the GMAT, please focus on presenting a set of well-crafted essays, which are representative of your strengths and help tie up your story in a logical manner. The following videos will help you with the essay writing:





All the best!
_________________
Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 476
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 04:51
startupguy wrote:
I am applying to kellogg in the next few months (R2). please let me know what you guys think!

Background and nationality: Singaporean Male, age 29 (will be 30 when I join the MBA)
Undergrad Information: Singapore Management University (majored in Quantitative Finance, GPA 3.0, my class only had 30 people out of the 2k+ that were in my school, so the average GPA was between 2.9-3.1)

GMAT: 650

Work experience and leadership (total 4 years now, will be 5 by the time i join):
1) worked as an algo-trader at a tier 1 investment bank in singapore
2) currently working at a mexican startup (in mexico), where i'm head of all securitizations and strategic planning. have raised USD 90 mm so far for the company (making us the most well funded startup in mexico). led one of the first asset purchase programs in Latin American history between an international bank and a start up. work constantly with top tier VCs for funding + day to day operations. only finance person in the company that programs

Community and others:
- spent 2 years in the singapore army (was a 1st lieutenant in the army). ran local and overseas missions, had a platoon of 50 men under me.
- am a semi-professional standup comedian. have performed in 3 different countries (including laugh factory in LA). have opened for several top comedians in mexico. one of the few to do standup in both spanish and english


Post MBA goals
- want to shift to consulting/IBD. relates closely with my current job of solving problems/helping w funding. with the MBA, I'd want to scale these responsibilities.

Anything else?
I'm trilingual. English, Hindi and Spanish all at professional working capacity/native fluency


Hello startupguy,

Congratulations on a profile, which involves a number of differentiated experiences - investment banking experience, start-up experience, and army experience. Each of the factors you have mentioned will help portray the unique dimensions of your entire career till date and build a strong case for you. However, the 650 on the GMAT definitely needs a boost and we would recommend a re-take. A higher GMAT score, along with a set of well-written essays will definitely give you a strong chance of garnering an interview call.

All the best!
_________________
Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 25
Location: Pakistan
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 09:32
Hi, Can someone please analyse my profile for Kellogg. Im not too familiar with US schools' requirements and would like to know if I stand a chance on applying.
Thanks in advance!

Background and nationality: Pakistani Female, 29, grew up in the UK and KSA
Undergrad Information: Medical Doctor, from leading national university.
GMAT: 680 (Q42, V40, IR 8)
Work experience and leadership:
2 years in clinical training (fellowship) Pakistan
1 year in clinical training Saudia Arabia
1 year as a hospital administrator/ general manager of 20 bedded semi-urban hospital
2 years at Swiss MNC (working here currently), launched the first nationwide tele-medicine network in
Pakistan.
Manage a team of 12 doctors. The network provides medical services to over a million patients,
Went to Indonesia and Cambodia to launch markets there.

Have done an executive education course (Healthcare and Innovation) at INSEAD
I'm an Acumen Regional Fellow for Pakistan. Acumen is a leading impact investment fund.
I was previously a World Bank Fellow (a program focused on developing women in business)


Community and others:
Im founding member of an NGO that provides vocational training to illiterate low income women so they can become micro-entrepreneurs. We have trained over 200 women in remote areas.


Post MBA goals: Consulting for some time. Then industry job that merges insurance and healthcare
Anything else?
Speak 3 languages. Been living in about 5 countries.
Published articles in leading national journals
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 605
Location: United States (NY)
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 12:01
Hi jaja231,

Thank you for sharing your profile. I like that you have been promoted, mentored members of your team and that you volunteered for a number of organizations. You also have a competitive GMAT score for Kellogg; I think it's also great that you lead an international team. As you pointed out, I agree that you need to address your GPA in your application. I would also advise you to be strategic about your post-MBA goals. You need to have a clear idea about your post-MBA goals and how you will get there, and those need to be communicated accordingly.

Happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please click here to coordinate a call.

Good luck!

jaja231 wrote:
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile below!

Background and nationality: Male, White, US citizen, 25 years old.

Undergrad Information: BBA in finance from Ohio State 3.2 GPA ( I had one bad semester where I dealt with depression from the death of my best friend, dragging down my gpa. I plan to use the optional essay to explain this).

GMAT: 730 (Q 47, V 44, IR 6, AWA 6)

Work experience and leadership: At the time of applying, will be 5 years working as a financial analyst for major bank with one promotion to intermediate analyst. In charge of a team of analysts based in India, led many projects, and have mentored some of the associates on my team.

Community and others: Done many different volunteering activities but not through only one organization. Currently part of a mentoring program through Ohio State. Serving on the board of a non-profit Irish heritage organization (Even though I'm not Irish).

Post MBA goals: Wanting to either switch to investment banking or consulting.

Thanks!

_________________
Susan Berishaj
Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 605
Location: United States (NY)
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 21:50
Hi ayeshaahmed89,

Thank you for sharing your profile. You have a really interesting storyline that I would like to learn more about. You also have a lot of details that work in your favor, including work experience, community involvement, etc. The two areas that really stand out to me are (i) your GMAT (which you can work with it, provided you have strong academics) and (ii) your post-MBA goals. From the two, the latter is the one that is most unclear. Why are you leaving your role as a clinician and healthcare administrator to pursue an MBA and then work in consulting? You will require a clear connection and reasoning for embarking on this journey. Also, why does Kellogg make sense for you?

Happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please reach out via contact details in signature.

Good luck!


ayeshaahmed89 wrote:
Hi, Can someone please analyse my profile for Kellogg. Im not too familiar with US schools' requirements and would like to know if I stand a chance on applying.
Thanks in advance!

Background and nationality: Pakistani Female, 29, grew up in the UK and KSA
Undergrad Information: Medical Doctor, from leading national university.
GMAT: 680 (Q42, V40, IR 8)
Work experience and leadership:
2 years in clinical training (fellowship) Pakistan
1 year in clinical training Saudia Arabia
1 year as a hospital administrator/ general manager of 20 bedded semi-urban hospital
2 years at Swiss MNC (working here currently), launched the first nationwide tele-medicine network in
Pakistan.
Manage a team of 12 doctors. The network provides medical services to over a million patients,
Went to Indonesia and Cambodia to launch markets there.

Have done an executive education course (Healthcare and Innovation) at INSEAD
I'm an Acumen Regional Fellow for Pakistan. Acumen is a leading impact investment fund.
I was previously a World Bank Fellow (a program focused on developing women in business)


Community and others:
Im founding member of an NGO that provides vocational training to illiterate low income women so they can become micro-entrepreneurs. We have trained over 200 women in remote areas.


Post MBA goals: Consulting for some time. Then industry job that merges insurance and healthcare
Anything else?
Speak 3 languages. Been living in about 5 countries.
Published articles in leading national journals

_________________
Susan Berishaj
Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2014
Posts: 12
Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 2.71
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 06:17
Can someone please comment on the suitability of my profile for Kellogg?

Nationality:
Indian

Educational Background:
Studied in one of the Top School in Asia for Rural Management (A Course pioneered specifically to meet the development needs of Rural India) – Was in the top 10% of my class

GMAT:
720 (Q50 V36)

Work experience and leadership:
10 years of experience this May. 3 Years in Not for Profit Sector. Last 7 Years in 3 Start-up’s, two of which were co-founded by me.
Started my career as Program Manager in an NGO working in tribal parts of India. Later was given an opportunity to work with State Government and World Bank to shape the Education Initiatives impacting Tribal Population of Andhra Pradesh State in India. Launched couple of breakthrough initiatives which were recognised by World Bank and included in the Best Practices to be showcased to governments across the world.
After the stint with the Government, launched an educational consulting firm that counselled students in Rural and Tribal areas on various career avenues that would help them improve their communities. I was responsible to handle 12-member team that conducted workshops in over 200 schools impacting 10000+ students and partnered with the local government to guide underprivileged children. Could not monetize the venture sufficiently and had to shut it down.
I co-founded a food-tech start-up in 2012 that connected restaurants with their customers by bringing in orders online and providing last mile delivery. We built the company from the ground to successfully deliver over 400 orders a day and a GMV crossing $600,000. After bootstrapping the business for two years, sold the company to the India-based technology vendor of Seamless.

I have been working for the past two years on a Sports-Tech venture that connects the various stakeholders such as Players, Academies, Coaches, Parents etc…

Community and others:
In 2006, started a Night School in the village where I had gone for a fieldwork as part of my rural management course. School continues till date
In 2008, took up the role of Alumni Representative of my college batch. Unanimously re-elected 4 times in a row.
Designed the curriculum to train Women members of Self Help Groups in villages of Andhra Pradesh to become business oriented – includes the concepts on Understanding Market, Marketing and Finance. This curriculum has been used to train over 100,000 women over a period of 4 years.
Designed and implemented the world’s largest Social Security initiative which impacts 12 Million poor women.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Feb 2017
Posts: 11
Location: United States
Schools: Ross '22
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 18:44
GMAT: 750
GPA: 3.5
Major: Engineering (hard one)
Undergrad: US News Top 30
W/E: F500 company in an R&D role in the US (4 years)
ECA: Decent (not spectacular)
Post MBA Goal: MBB or FAANG
Age: 26
Demographic: Asian Male (not Indian/Chinese)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2017
Posts: 5
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 23:19
Hello
I really appreciate it if you can evaluate my profile for Kellogg.

Background:

From Bangalore, India
Male
Age 30
GMAT 720 (Q-48 V-41 IR-5, AWA-4.5) ( Would the low AWA and IR score make a difference? )
GPA:3.5/4.0

Education:

Undergrad: Biotechnology engineering from a top university in India
(Never worked in the Biotech Industry as I started working for the family business after graduation)

Work Experience: Total 7 years

 Co-founded 3 companies since graduation. These companies are operational and doing well.
The companies founded belong to the following industries:
1. Event management Services (Co founded and head the events division in this company. My only international exposure is from this company and it involved working with International Artist managers and Artists)
2. Financial Services (I’m currently the managing director of this company and it’s a family owned business)
3. Construction and manufacturing of building materials ( worked with the government in building rural residential schools for the poor for 5 years and we currently work in the private sector)

MBA goal- 1) To build structured knowledge and skills necessary to scale the existing companies
2) To evaluate new ventures which have been shortlisted


Post MBA Goal –
1. Expand and grow existing businesses
2. Entrepreneurial- To build businesses that add value
3. Equity Investments


Thank you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 9
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 15:21
Hi Everyone,

Below is my profile to date. I am presently scheduled to take the GMAT again on 12/10 (so a bit of time to improve my score)

Age: 31, American, low-income background
Undergrad: Double major/double minor (History of Math & Science, Western Philosophy/Classics & Comparative Lit)
Small but well regarded Liberal Arts school
Grad Masters in Teaching (Regional college)
GPA: 3.7 for both
Work: 9 years work experience, with clear progression in scope. Accepted into Teach for America, taught middle and high school. Joined non-profit/research project at top US university in coordination with large public school district to identify risks and solve them real time for students. Started LLC and provided consulting services. Recently joined another ed non-profit org. Have had several promotions and managed a team of 4.
Goal: Long term to transition into corporate philanthropy, specifically a program like the GE Foundation or BMO Harris (as both have strong education connections). Short-term is to consult (Deloitte, etc.) to gain corporate experience.
Extracurriculars: Member of several community groups (neighborhood preservation group, committee on niche education issue, direct support for community center), active in education lobby organization, have run (both successfully and unsuccessfully) for local office, run half-marathons

GMAT: In the prep process. Current highest score is a 680 with a goal of 720.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Oct 2018
Posts: 16
Location: Oman
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.33
WE: Public Relations (Advertising and PR)
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 01:13
Intake Year: 2019

Pre-MBA Career: Public Relations and Communications
Post-MBA Career: Consumer Goods (Marketing and Brand Management)
GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.3
Years of Work Experience: 2

Notes: My GMAT score breakdown is: (710- Q: 49 and V: 38).

A brief on my background: I have worked for two years in a top-notch international PR and Communications agency (post my under-grad) in Mumbai and served a plethora of MNCs and large scale conglomerates across corporate and consumer verticals in those two years. I was among the youngest people at the agency and was promoted within a year of working there. I have also actively helped in crisis and reputation management for one of the largest corporate crisis in India during my stint at the agency, and truly believe that my quality of work experience has been great over the past two years.

I specialised in PR during my undergrad and carried out five internships successfully during the same time. Three at non-profit organizations and two at industry-specific agencies. Through school, college and work, I have always taken up roles of responsibility and leadership, actively looked out for and asked for opportunities and always showcased the urge to learn.

Additionally, I have always actively participated in extra-curriculars at school and college and performed extremely well academically. I would like to do an MBA with a major in marketing, from a top B-school in the US specifically, so as to add to my experience of PR and communications and achieve concentric growth around my core competencies. Furthermore, coming from a advertising and PR background, I have a fair understanding of the changing communication landscape and would like to deep dive into understanding brand management, disruptive marketing and ways to break through the current clutter to create an impact or spearhead behavioural change.

That aside, in the long run I would like to join the C-suite of an MNC, lead from the forefront and create a lasting impact on the society using my position. However, to get there, I do believe that it is important for me to venture out into relatively new territories for me, i.e. finance, accounting, sustainability, micro-economics and macroeconomics among the others. Hence the MBA.

Furthermore, why the MBA now? Well, because I want to make the switch from the agency side to the corporate side now, and no better way to bridge the gap than do an MBA that would provide me with a holistic understanding of the other side, before I step into it.

Starting today, I have about 50 days till the round 2 deadline to get my essays in place. Does Kellogg seem like a good option and what are my chances basis my profile? It is my dream B-school after all!
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Coach
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Joined: 18 Apr 2018
Posts: 686
Location: India
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 02:55
Hello manavivarma

Kellogg will evaluate your candidature of Academics, Work Ex, Diversity and Career goals (you may want to read here to understand in detail)
Starting with academics, your GMAT is slightly lower than the average of Kellogg, which hovers at 730. Considering your Indian background, the score is much lower than that of the highly competitive pool you belong to. Not a deal breaker, but definitely a concern.
Coming to work ex, with 2 years of work ex, you will be among the younger students in the batch, which averages 5 years of work ex. Again, not a deal breaker, but understand that you will be competing with applicants with more work ex, that means you will have to showcase more maturity and achievements at work to stand out.
Diversity can be enhanced with strong extracurricular activities, but keep in mind that school/college activities usually do not play a bog role (unless you have achieved something spectacular). A good extracurricular must have had a long term/serious involvement and a positive impact on your life or the life of others.
Career goals seem organic, bu you will have to more specific on why MBA and why now.
To conclude, work on all of the above and present your case well. You may want to look at other schools as well.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com



manavivarma wrote:
Intake Year: 2019

Pre-MBA Career: Public Relations and Communications
Post-MBA Career: Consumer Goods (Marketing and Brand Management)
GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.3
Years of Work Experience: 2

Notes: My GMAT score breakdown is: (710- Q: 49 and V: 38).

A brief on my background: I have worked for two years in a top-notch international PR and Communications agency (post my under-grad) in Mumbai and served a plethora of MNCs and large scale conglomerates across corporate and consumer verticals in those two years. I was among the youngest people at the agency and was promoted within a year of working there. I have also actively helped in crisis and reputation management for one of the largest corporate crisis in India during my stint at the agency, and truly believe that my quality of work experience has been great over the past two years.

I specialised in PR during my undergrad and carried out five internships successfully during the same time. Three at non-profit organizations and two at industry-specific agencies. Through school, college and work, I have always taken up roles of responsibility and leadership, actively looked out for and asked for opportunities and always showcased the urge to learn.

Additionally, I have always actively participated in extra-curriculars at school and college and performed extremely well academically. I would like to do an MBA with a major in marketing, from a top B-school in the US specifically, so as to add to my experience of PR and communications and achieve concentric growth around my core competencies. Furthermore, coming from a advertising and PR background, I have a fair understanding of the changing communication landscape and would like to deep dive into understanding brand management, disruptive marketing and ways to break through the current clutter to create an impact or spearhead behavioural change.

That aside, in the long run I would like to join the C-suite of an MNC, lead from the forefront and create a lasting impact on the society using my position. However, to get there, I do believe that it is important for me to venture out into relatively new territories for me, i.e. finance, accounting, sustainability, micro-economics and macroeconomics among the others. Hence the MBA.

Furthermore, why the MBA now? Well, because I want to make the switch from the agency side to the corporate side now, and no better way to bridge the gap than do an MBA that would provide me with a holistic understanding of the other side, before I step into it.

Starting today, I have about 50 days till the round 2 deadline to get my essays in place. Does Kellogg seem like a good option and what are my chances basis my profile? It is my dream B-school after all!

_________________
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Apr 2017
Posts: 20
Schools: Kellogg '21 (D)
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 07:57
Background:
29 year old Hispanic male from a low-income household.
Enlisted U.S military prior to attending undergrad, graduating in spring 2019.
Neither parent attended college with one parent not completing high school.

Undergrad:
Big 12 Public school in Texas, not UT (Hometown university)
2.9 GPA (Economics major, minor in Chinese)
GPA will likely be my biggest hurdle. I come from a family, both immediate and extended, with no post-secondary education. After my time in the military, I wanted to change that trend. Early academic struggles were due to my unfamiliarity with college academics while balancing working 30 hours a week. I still work the same amount per week, but much better time management.

My GPA is weighed down from "C's" and "D's" in several introductory courses like Pre-Calculus, Intro to Anthropology, and freshman English. I have had some "C's" sprinkled in since, but a vast majority were in my first few semesters of undergrad.
After learning how to approach college academics I saw a significant improvement in my performance.

I have a few "A's" and mostly "B's" in:
Managerial Economics
Intermediate and Advanced Chinese
Intermediate Macroeconomics/Microeconomics
Calculus
and most of the other Economic courses I have taken.

GMAT: 620(cannot recall split)
This was a testing of the waters, going in I fully intended on retaking a second time. I have been using TTP for quant and MGMAT for verbal. I scored a 660 on my most recent practice exam. I have another 5 weeks of extensive studying before I sit in mid-December. I am fully invested in making up for my GPA though the GMAT exam.

Work Experience and Leadership:
I feel this is the strength of my application. Early in my career I began to seperate myself from my peers. I was given a waiver to attend an enlisted leadership academy, I was too junior in rank and only 19 years old. I made the most of the opportunity and was 1 of only 4 honor graduates in a class of about 240. A year later, while deployed to Afghanistan, I was selected to instruct courses to Afghan police officers. Using an interpreter, I taught classes in marksmanship, first aid, and basic law enforcement tactics. While in Afghanistan I was nominated and approved for promotion to Sergeant, ahead of several peers senior to myself. I received multiple awards for accomplishments in leadership positions towards the backend of my career.

Post MBA goals:
Transition into consulting to develop expertise in a specific field, then transition into a management role after a few years.

I have my mind set on attending a T15 business school. I am applying to 5 of these programs this year, knowing there is a legitimate possibility I can strike out at all five. Should that happen, I will stay at my current university for a 2nd major in Chinese and reapply next year. If I do need to reapply I will target T15 again, but add a few programs like McCombs and Jones(Rice).

I am applying to Kellogg, Yale, Tuck, Ross, and Johnson. Any advice would be appreciated!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2018
Posts: 6
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 10:36
Hi all! Do I stand a chance at Kellogg (Weekend Program & Full-Time Program chances please)?

Background and nationality: White female

Undergrad Information: Univ. of Notre Dame, BS in Mechanical Engineering (GPA 3.2)

GMAT: 720 (Q47, V41)

Work experience and leadership:
- Product Development Engineer at Fortune 10 consumer products (manufacturing/tech.) company - 3 years;
- Co-Leading (and worked with upper management to establish) professional development/social network program for young professionals within the company

Community and others:
- Volunteering with underprivileged kids in inner-city
- Church involvement
- Hobbies: Running, Downhill Snow Skiing

Post MBA goals:
- Rise to senior management in tech. industry; involvement with Business Strategy

Anything else?
- Essays should be high-quality
- Letters of recommendation likely average
GMAT Club Bot
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2018, 10:36

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20    Next  [ 393 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: jaja231






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne