GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
Premium Member
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 18:33
Yes,I have done my masters.
Also regarding my recommendation, my ex- manager is now working in real-estate, I never did..he was my manager in one of the companies I have worked in

MBADecoder wrote:
bhanu88 wrote:
Hello,

Please review my profile for Kellogg 1-Y program:

Background: Indian, Male, 30 yr old
Current Industry: Tobacco Products
GMAT: 750 (49Q/44V, IR 6 AWA 5)
GPA: 3.7 (9.15/10)
Degree: B.Pharm from BITS Pilani (Department Rank 1) (Top 6 Eng. Institutes in India)
International Experience: 0 Years
Experience: Total 5 Years, Interned in Goldman Sachs & ITC; Worked in ITC (largest Indian conglomerate), Procter and Gamble and now Philip Morris- Marlboro looking after East India (10 states) for the company.
Extracurricular:College clubs, photography enthusiast - have won a few regional competitions here, Mentor to students appearing for competitive exams- a few of them got into the best institutes in India, No leadership role, however.
Post MBA goals : Change to healthcare industry
Recommendation : Decent recommendaton - from business head of real estate company(ex-manager) and current manager

Hi Bhanu,

Just wondering why your work experience is only 5 years if you are 30 years old? Most Indians start working earlier. HAve you also done Masters?
Your GMAT score is very competitive. You have worked with some big name companies, which would be beneficial in the application. More important though, would be your achievements and the impact you have created through your work.

We'd need to understand how you arrived at your goals before we comment on them. Moreover, the health care industry is vaaast. You will have to be very specific about where, which companies, what kind of role, and ofcourse how it connects with both your past experience as well as future aspirations.

Recommendations- I don't see any description of a real estate company in your career summary, so I am wondering how old is that experience and whether it will add value to get a recommendation from here.
Admission Consultant
P
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 22:19
bhanu88 wrote:
Yes,I have done my masters.
Also regarding my recommendation, my ex- manager is now working in real-estate, I never did..he was my manager in one of the companies I have worked in

Ok, that makes sense about both the Master's and the manager.

Be sure that the manager who is recommending you is worked with you recentlt. You are getting one reco from your current company, so the other one could be from a previous company. I like to ensure the 3 year rule, even when suggesting recommenders (you should have worked with them in the past 3 years).

Let us know if you need help on your app. We have a Kellog 1-year MBA alumnus on MBA Decoder's panel of consultants.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Intern
Intern
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 11:51
Hi everyone,

See below for my profile. Very down-the-fairway private equity applicant, but do want to get your thoughts on what I can do to differentiate, stand out, etc. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Undergrad: Top 15 US undergrad, double major in Finance and Accounting
GPA: 3.6/4.0
Work: 1 year of investment banking (bulge bracket), 2 years of private equity (2 now, 3 upon matriculation; got hired after only one year of investment banking) in the Midwest, promoted to Senior Associate in current PE role
GMAT: 730 (Q45 V45), taken once, wondering if I should spend time studying and retaking or focusing on other parts of my application
Recommenders: two senior leaders at my PE firm; both with MBAs from top programs (HBS, Kellogg, etc.)
ECs: leadership role in local private equity association, volunteering through work with economically disadvantaged students in my city, a few leadership roles in college

The feedback I have from other peers in private equity is that my GMAT score is fine, given the rest of my (presumably strong) candidate profile. I do want to return to private equity or a similar investing role post-MBA. Wondering if I should retake the GMAT, or spend my limited time crafting my essays and fine-tuning the rest of the application.

Kellogg is my top choice - thanks!
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 13:15
Hi 19ninetytwo,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Your GMAT score is good, and if you have limited time (which I believe you do since you are working in PE), I recommend you use that time to fine-tune your application instead. However, if you do have time, I'd recommend re-taking the GMAT for a stronger quant score. Overall, you have a strong profile, competitive for Kellogg, but again, your application must be compelling as PE is very competitive.

Happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please reach out for a consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

19ninetytwo wrote:
Hi everyone,

See below for my profile. Very down-the-fairway private equity applicant, but do want to get your thoughts on what I can do to differentiate, stand out, etc. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Work: 1 year of investment banking (bulge bracket), 2 years of private equity (2 now, 3 upon matriculation; got hired after only one year of investment banking) in the Midwest, promoted to Senior Associate in current PE role
GMAT: 730 (Q45 V45), taken once, wondering if I should spend time studying and retaking or focusing on other parts of my application
Recommenders: two senior leaders at my PE firm; both with MBAs from top programs (HBS, Kellogg, etc.)
ECs: leadership role in local private equity association, volunteering through work with economically disadvantaged students in my city, a few leadership roles in college

The feedback I have from other peers in private equity is that my GMAT score is fine, given the rest of my (presumably strong) candidate profile. I do want to return to private equity or a similar investing role post-MBA. Wondering if I should retake the GMAT, or spend my limited time crafting my essays and fine-tuning the rest of the application.

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 05:09
19ninetytwo wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi 19ninetytwo,

Thanks for writing in.

While the GMAT score looks good, a retake will really boost your chances and may be quite worth it. Having said that, if you feel you could better utilize this time putting forth a stronger application with meaningful essays, you may skip the retake.

The career goals look promising and if you are able to present your candidature well through your essays, you stand a strong chance.

Thanks.

All the best! :-)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 08:55
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile below!

Background and nationality: Male, White, US citizen, 25 years old.

Undergrad Information: BBA in finance from Ohio State 3.2 GPA ( I had one bad semester where I dealt with depression from the death of my best friend, dragging down my gpa. I plan to use the optional essay to explain this).

GMAT: 730 (Q 47, V 44, IR 6, AWA 6)

Work experience and leadership: At the time of applying, will be 5 years working as a financial analyst for major bank with one promotion to intermediate analyst. In charge of a team of analysts based in India, led many projects, and have mentored some of the associates on my team.

Community and others: Done many different volunteering activities but not through only one organization. Currently part of a mentoring program through Ohio State. Serving on the board of a non-profit Irish heritage organization (Even though I'm not Irish).

Post MBA goals: Wanting to either switch to investment banking or consulting.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 14:27
I am applying to kellogg in the next few months (R2). please let me know what you guys think!

Background and nationality: Singaporean Male, age 29 (will be 30 when I join the MBA)
Undergrad Information: Singapore Management University (majored in Quantitative Finance, GPA 3.0, my class only had 30 people out of the 2k+ that were in my school, so the average GPA was between 2.9-3.1)

GMAT: 650

Work experience and leadership (total 4 years now, will be 5 by the time i join):
1) worked as an algo-trader at a tier 1 investment bank in singapore
2) currently working at a mexican startup (in mexico), where i'm head of all securitizations and strategic planning. have raised USD 90 mm so far for the company (making us the most well funded startup in mexico). led one of the first asset purchase programs in Latin American history between an international bank and a start up. work constantly with top tier VCs for funding + day to day operations. only finance person in the company that programs

Community and others:
- spent 2 years in the singapore army (was a 1st lieutenant in the army). ran local and overseas missions, had a platoon of 50 men under me.
- am a semi-professional standup comedian. have performed in 3 different countries (including laugh factory in LA). have opened for several top comedians in mexico. one of the few to do standup in both spanish and english

Post MBA goals
- want to shift to consulting/IBD. relates closely with my current job of solving problems/helping w funding. with the MBA, I'd want to scale these responsibilities.

Anything else?
I'm trilingual. English, Hindi and Spanish all at professional working capacity/native fluency
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 04:38
jaja231 wrote:
Hi,

Undergrad Information: BBA in finance from Ohio State 3.2 GPA ( I had one bad semester where I dealt with depression from the death of my best friend, dragging down my gpa. I plan to use the optional essay to explain this).

Work experience and leadership: At the time of applying, will be 5 years working as a financial analyst for major bank with one promotion to intermediate analyst. In charge of a team of analysts based in India, led many projects, and have mentored some of the associates on my team.

Community and others: Done many different volunteering activities but not through only one organization. Currently part of a mentoring program through Ohio State. Serving on the board of a non-profit Irish heritage organization (Even though I'm not Irish).

Thanks!

Hello jaja231,

Thanks for writing in.

Overall, your work experience, coupled with leadership experience with a cross-cultural team sounds good. The social sector experience, though, not stellar will add to the talking points in your application.

Having said the above, your GMAT score is just around the average at Kellogg and a retake would definitely help boost your chances and particularly help compensate for the GPA bit. However, whether or not you choose to retake the GMAT, please focus on presenting a set of well-crafted essays, which are representative of your strengths and help tie up your story in a logical manner. The following videos will help you with the essay writing:

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global

G

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 04:51
startupguy wrote:
I am applying to kellogg in the next few months (R2). please let me know what you guys think!

Background and nationality: Singaporean Male, age 29 (will be 30 when I join the MBA)
Undergrad Information: Singapore Management University (majored in Quantitative Finance, GPA 3.0, my class only had 30 people out of the 2k+ that were in my school, so the average GPA was between 2.9-3.1)

GMAT: 650

Work experience and leadership (total 4 years now, will be 5 by the time i join):
1) worked as an algo-trader at a tier 1 investment bank in singapore
2) currently working at a mexican startup (in mexico), where i'm head of all securitizations and strategic planning. have raised USD 90 mm so far for the company (making us the most well funded startup in mexico). led one of the first asset purchase programs in Latin American history between an international bank and a start up. work constantly with top tier VCs for funding + day to day operations. only finance person in the company that programs

Community and others:
- spent 2 years in the singapore army (was a 1st lieutenant in the army). ran local and overseas missions, had a platoon of 50 men under me.
- am a semi-professional standup comedian. have performed in 3 different countries (including laugh factory in LA). have opened for several top comedians in mexico. one of the few to do standup in both spanish and english

Post MBA goals
- want to shift to consulting/IBD. relates closely with my current job of solving problems/helping w funding. with the MBA, I'd want to scale these responsibilities.

Anything else?
I'm trilingual. English, Hindi and Spanish all at professional working capacity/native fluency

Hello startupguy,

Congratulations on a profile, which involves a number of differentiated experiences - investment banking experience, start-up experience, and army experience. Each of the factors you have mentioned will help portray the unique dimensions of your entire career till date and build a strong case for you. However, the 650 on the GMAT definitely needs a boost and we would recommend a re-take. A higher GMAT score, along with a set of well-written essays will definitely give you a strong chance of garnering an interview call.

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 09:32
Hi, Can someone please analyse my profile for Kellogg. Im not too familiar with US schools' requirements and would like to know if I stand a chance on applying.
Thanks in advance!

Background and nationality: Pakistani Female, 29, grew up in the UK and KSA
Undergrad Information: Medical Doctor, from leading national university.
GMAT: 680 (Q42, V40, IR 8)
Work experience and leadership:
2 years in clinical training (fellowship) Pakistan
1 year in clinical training Saudia Arabia
1 year as a hospital administrator/ general manager of 20 bedded semi-urban hospital
2 years at Swiss MNC (working here currently), launched the first nationwide tele-medicine network in
Pakistan.
Manage a team of 12 doctors. The network provides medical services to over a million patients,
Went to Indonesia and Cambodia to launch markets there.

Have done an executive education course (Healthcare and Innovation) at INSEAD
I'm an Acumen Regional Fellow for Pakistan. Acumen is a leading impact investment fund.
I was previously a World Bank Fellow (a program focused on developing women in business)

Community and others:
Im founding member of an NGO that provides vocational training to illiterate low income women so they can become micro-entrepreneurs. We have trained over 200 women in remote areas.

Post MBA goals: Consulting for some time. Then industry job that merges insurance and healthcare
Anything else?
Speak 3 languages. Been living in about 5 countries.
Published articles in leading national journals
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 12:01
Hi jaja231,

Thank you for sharing your profile. I like that you have been promoted, mentored members of your team and that you volunteered for a number of organizations. You also have a competitive GMAT score for Kellogg; I think it's also great that you lead an international team. As you pointed out, I agree that you need to address your GPA in your application. I would also advise you to be strategic about your post-MBA goals. You need to have a clear idea about your post-MBA goals and how you will get there, and those need to be communicated accordingly.

Happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please click here to coordinate a call.

Good luck!

jaja231 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here! &nbs [#permalink] 17 Oct 2018, 12:01

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   [ 311 posts ] 

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Gnpth

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap