GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 09:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 22:33
guest1708 wrote:
Hi.,
Can you evaluate my profile for MBA program.

Undergrad in Civil Engineering from Jntu college of engineering Hyderabad (6.13 GPA, Bit low)

Masters in Structural Engineering from Bits pilani (8.6 GPA)

3 YRS work exp in as Design Engineering Consultant (MNC,International projects along with on sight experience of 6 months)

Gmat 740 (Q50,V49)

Few social activites and meger extra circular.. awards and young scientist awards mostly in school days ,not much leadership roles (Managing few client meetings for technical suggestions).

Doubt about low undergrad score? What effect would it have.

Posted from my mobile device

With that Q/V split are you sure your gmat score is only 740.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q56 V44
GMAT 2: 700 Q56 V44
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 23:40
Sorry V40.. typo

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Booth '22 (WL)
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 17:18
Demographic
29 year old Indian male (born and raised in U.S.)
Combined Master/Bachelor Degree in Accounting from McCombs, The University of Texas at Austin (#1 Acct school)
3.8 Grad school GPA, 3.9 Undergrad GPA
740 GMAT (47Q, 45V, 5.5 AWA, 8 IR)

Work Experience
2.5 years at Deloitte Consulting Strategy & Operations - significant work includes: 1. Centralized project management for divestiture of international building products company; 2. Finance and Accounting business integration for (at the time) world's largest tech industry merger

2.5 years at PepsiCo - joined as Sr. Analyst, worked in Sales and GTM Value Chain Strategy (heavy operations/supply chain focus). Promoted to Associate Manager. Wrote business case and associated financial models for Retail B2B eCommerce solution and implemented new customer and sales data segmentation methodology. Am now the project manager for Chief Strategy Officer where I manage monthly ExCom meetings, build up talent and culture within our organization through organizing social events and internal trainings, and provide executives with updates on all strategic initiatives underway.

Extracurricular
While at Deloitte, led University of Texas recruiting efforts for undergrads and achieved 100% offer conversion rates. Also organized annual Deloitte charity event for United Way, raising over $20,000 in donations

Outside of work, I frequently volunteer at schools (through Junior Achievement) and local libraries to teach children and adults about financial concepts (e.g. budgeting, personal finance, disciplined debt repayment, investing and retirement planning, etc).

Post-MBA career goals
Short-term: Revenue Mgmt or Commercialization/Sales at a startup/smaller CPG firm (also considering going back to consulting to McKinsey/Bain/BCG)
Long-term: Chief Commercial Officer or GM of a small/mid-sized Food/Beverage firm that provides healthy foods at affordable (to the masses) prices
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Booth '22 (WL)
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 10:28
bump
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2019, 04:03
nhpatel0999 wrote:
Demographic
Combined Master/Bachelor Degree in Accounting from McCombs, The University of Texas at Austin (#1 Acct school)

Work Experience
2.5 years at Deloitte Consulting Strategy & Operations - significant work includes: 1. Centralized project management for divestiture of international building products company; 2. Finance and Accounting business integration for (at the time) world's largest tech industry merger

2.5 years at PepsiCo - joined as Sr. Analyst, worked in Sales and GTM Value Chain Strategy (heavy operations/supply chain focus). Promoted to Associate Manager. Wrote business case and associated financial models for Retail B2B eCommerce solution and implemented new customer and sales data segmentation methodology. Am now the project manager for Chief Strategy Officer where I manage monthly ExCom meetings, build up talent and culture within our organization through organizing social events and internal trainings, and provide executives with updates on all strategic initiatives underway.

Extracurricular
While at Deloitte, led University of Texas recruiting efforts for undergrads and achieved 100% offer conversion rates. Also organized annual Deloitte charity event for United Way, raising over $20,000 in donations

Outside of work, I frequently volunteer at schools (through Junior Achievement) and local libraries to teach children and adults about financial concepts (e.g. budgeting, personal finance, disciplined debt repayment, investing and retirement planning, etc).

Post-MBA career goals
Short-term: Revenue Mgmt or Commercialization/Sales at a startup/smaller CPG firm (also considering going back to consulting to McKinsey/Bain/BCG)
Long-term: Chief Commercial Officer or GM of a small/mid-sized Food/Beverage firm that provides healthy foods at affordable (to the masses) prices

Hi,

Overall, you have good quality experience and if presented well through the resume, essays and recommendations, it should work in your favor. Your career goals need to be thought through better. I am not aware of what is revenue management in a startup. I would strip it down to calling it sales/ business development - its better to use simpler words instead of jargon words and fancy positions. That also holds for your long term goals as well.
For the sake of the application, you will have to zero in on one career path. It will be hard to say by analysing this short description whether you should talk about consulting or a startup, which is a space where you don't seem to have prior experience.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2019, 23:57
MBADecoder wrote:
nhpatel0999 wrote:
Demographic

Work Experience

Extracurricular

Post-MBA career goals

Hi,

Overall, you have good quality experience and if presented well through the resume, essays and recommendations, it should work in your favor. Your career goals need to be thought through better. I am not aware of what is revenue management in a startup. I would strip it down to calling it sales/ business development - its better to use simpler words instead of jargon words and fancy positions. That also holds for your long term goals as well.
For the sake of the application, you will have to zero in on one career path. It will be hard to say by analysing this short description whether you should talk about consulting or a startup, which is a space where you don't seem to have prior experience.

Thankyou for the feedback
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2019, 00:33
zamin1234 wrote:
Applying for Fall 2019
Ethnicity: Pakistani (US born and raised)
UG School: Top 20 Public University, Majored in Political Science w/ Minor in Applied Statistics 3.75 GPA
GRE: 167 Quant, 160 Verbal, 5.5 AWA
Work Exp:
-Interned in Parliament
-3 Yrs at Corporate Retailer working as a Planning Analyst managing $400M P&L in Consumer Electronics (2 years) and a Negotiations Consultant/Project Manager driving over $100M in cost savings for organization through vendor category negotiations, contract support, etc. across Beauty and Home divisions
Extracurricular: Volunteer at non-profit, mentor (3 mentees) for D&I organization, and involved in local elections
Educational Goal: Dual MBA/MPP
Career Aspirations:
Social Impact - specifically working for a government agency like the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or SEC OR Non-profit

Biggest concern: Something else I'd like to explore is marketing for Multicultural brands, and I think that's a much cleaner story for me given my background in retail and specifically working with a lot of big beauty vendors, but I don't know if it's worth it to compromise total authenticity as social impact is my passion.

Thoughts?

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 23:31
nanditabothra wrote:
I am an Indian female with 2 years work experience (will have 3 by the time I join college).
Company: Microsoft (Services division as a Consultant)
GMAT: 740
GPA: 3.8

Pros:
1. Good international exposure due to office visits and clients
2. Good communication and people skills
3. Will be able to get good recommendations
4. Good academic record

Cons:
1. Less work experience than average
2. No start up or entrepreneurship experience

GMAT score?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Applying to Kellogg: Request for Profile Review. Thanks!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2019, 11:21
Hi there,

I am Aseem (from India)
GMAT 730 (2015) - will take GMAT again.
Enthusiastic about a global career and problem solving!
B.Tech 6.74/10
PGD Liberal Studies (YIF): 3.15/4
HBS Online CORe

A short intro-

Graduate in Civil Engibeering from IIT-BHU, Varanasi. Handled Customer Support & Marketing at Ambuja Cement (2013-2015) in a highly hostile market of Hooghly and played a significant role in increasing area top line and customer base.

Wanted to expand horizons and become a socially conscious leader and develop abstract thinking: Joined the prestigious Young India Fellowship at Ashoka University (Class of 2017)

Currently leading planning and tool management efficiency projects in NRB Bearings Limited (2017-Present) Hyderabad manufacturing unit which is a 100 Cr plant.

Before this I was the Executive Assistant to the COO of NRB Bearings Limited where I led a number of projects related to Industry 4.0, Supply chain efficiency, org restructuring, governance processes and NPD (new product development)

I am about fostering collaboration, creating transformation, really leveraging my curiosity (to know more and contribute) and solve difficult problems to create sound and flourishing business environment. Want to get into global consulting practice. Looking to apply to Kellogg and Insead.

Happy to get a profile review!
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Applying to Kellogg: Request for Profile Review. Thanks!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2019, 20:01
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out. The bad news, as you likely know, is that as an Indian male engineer you're coming from the very toughest demographic when it comes to b-school applications. That said, the good news is that sounds like you've got some solid work experience that doesn't fit the typical profile of your demographic (most Indian male engineers are coming from very technical roles). It's a bit tough to say without knowing more about you how strong your profile is, but assuming you can show that you've used business skills to drive meaningful, quantifiable results (e.g. increasing revenue, decreasing costs, launching profitable new products or services, etc) and assuming you can show demonstrated leadership experience, you'll be in a good place.

I'm not 100% sure from what you shared here how many total years of work experience you have so that's one thing to consider as well. Most top schools are looking for applicants with 3-5 years upon matriculation; when you have more than that they start to worry that you no longer need the degree. That's not to say it's a deal breaker, but it does mean more weight will be placed upon your why MBA argument. Speaking of which, it will also be critical to article some strong, specific post-MBA goals. Those are not only a way to differentiate yourself from the competition (FYI most Indian male engineers say they want to be product managers in a tech firm, with the #2 most common goal being consulting), but it's also the foundation upon which your why MBA/why xyz school argument rests. The adcom not only wants to know what you plan to do & the unique impact you want to have but also WHY this is your passion. Of all the things you could devote your career to, why is THAT the path you want to take?

Hopefully that gives you some food for thought. If you'd like some more specific guidance, definitely reach out to us. If you email Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants who can take a look at your resume & give you some additional thoughts based on those details!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 10:01
Hello, I am curious as to what my chances of getting into Kellogg are. Thank you in advance for any and all insight.

1. GMAT: 740 (Q48/44V)
2. Undergrad: mid-tier US private university 3.7 GPA, business major
3. Additional coursework: 1 HBS Online course
4. Experience:
3 years Active Duty US Army (will be 4 when class starts)
-1 deployment to the Middle East
-2 roles leading ~ 20 people each time and responsible for $3M/$20M worth of equipment
-by name selected for a third role to deploy in position above rank
5. 25-year-old white male
6. Additional experience/extracurricular:
Student Class Representative while in college
Army ROTC
7. Post MBA Goal
Either start or be early in a company
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2019, 14:40
I'm a white male with an engineering background, and will finish a corporate finance graduate certificate from Harvard extension school this fall. I'll be applying R1 in 2020
Company: Manufacturing company in Ohio
GMAT: 710 (49Q/38V)
Undergrad GPA: 3.0 Mechanical Engineering, Mid-tier Public College
Graduate Classes: 3.4
Work Experience: I moved from a cost engineer role to an FP&A Role. While in cost, I led some systems integration efforts for 4 newly acquired plants, and leveraged that to a promotion into FP&A. I'm currently responsible for all day-to-day finance work for our $260 mil, 7 plant business unit. Involved with various sales and operations reporting, and oversee a couple of operations related projects that I started while in my previous role. Would have right under 4 years of experience upon matriculation (in 2021)
Extracurricular: Was extremely involved in college with alumni relations groups, a few multicultural and racial justice focused groups, and student-government type groups and a fraternity. Held leadership roles in many of the groups, and received an award from our University's Foundation. Currently on a couple of boards with my undergrad's alumni affiliate groups.
Post MBA: Would like to move into Management Consulting (MBB or Strategy consulting) or PE focused on small/mid cap manufacturing
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 10:20
Hi all,

I'd appreciate any feedback or advice you might have on my chances:

Background: Indian male, 28, Canadian PR
Undergrad Information: Mechanical Engineering @ (top 10 engineering college in India) - 8.9 CGPA
Masters Grad: Moved to Canada for Masters @(Top 3 univ in Canada) - 87%
GMAT: 670, 690, Aiming for 730+

Work experience and leadership:
  • 4 years at matriculation at the largest engineering, procurement, and construction services company in Canada. No Management experience.
  • Committee Member, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
  • Committee Member, Health and Safety Committee
  • Team Cultural Ambassador

Community Leadership: 3 years @ Toastmasters International
  • Division Director, Toastmasters International – Leading a team of 5 volunteer area directors; initiated and persuaded the district-wide roll out of a new simplified quantitative tracking of area directors’ goals and progress;
  • Area Director, Toastmasters International – Motivated and led 75% of clubs within my Area to a distinguished status;
  • Vice President Education, Company Toastmasters Club – Motivated and mentored members to achieve their personal communication goals, leading the club to achieve Toastmasters’ highest club status.
  • Chartered one new club going from ideation, organization to marketing for 20 new members.

Post MBA goals:
Short Term Goals: Corporate Strategy for a engineering consulting firm.
Long Term Goals: Entrepreneurship, CEO

Thanks in advance! Appreciate your time and feedback.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2019, 08:17
Hi!

I am 24, Indian, UG in Computer Science Engineering.

Work ex: Consulting at Tier-II consulting firm ( Fortune 500 professional services company) - Got a policy exception to join consulting from technology without an MBA - the youngest member of consulting practice at my company in India - due for promotion which will make 3 promotions in 3 years of my career at the company.

Extra-curricular:

1. Trustee of a sports foundation - We train underprivileged kids in sports for free with an aim to make them professional athletes. This foundation is under leadership of an accomplished Paralympian
2. Advisor to an NGO which has fixed over 500 garbage dumps in India
3. Advisor to Member of Parliament ( Congressman ) - Help him with policies and initiatives around startups and tech

Reason for MBA - Get a deeper understanding of business and global markets and build a global network. I want to come back to India post-MBA and work for a VC along with helping the government in building a strong startup ecosystem for my country.

I am planning to write an MBA in the next 4 months and apply to class of 2021. You advice will be very helpful formulizing my strategy going forward.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.78
Premium Member
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 23:05
MBA Profile

HI! Hoping for your help in evaluating my profile. Thanks!

Demographic
27 years old. Male from the Philippines.
Undergraduate Degree: BS Management Engineering (Honors Program), GPA 2.80
GMAT: 710 (considering retaking it to offset my low GPA)

Work Experience
5 years in the Oil & Gas Industry working for a “Big Oil” Company
- Completed the competitive “Big Oil” Graduate Program
- Assigned in various regions in the Philippines. Within the 5 years I’ve been with the company I have already held 6 different and challenging roles and have been promoted the equivalent of 4 times.
- Assigned as the terminal manager for one of “Big Oil’s” largest terminals in the country. Had 4 direct reports and over 100 contractors reporting to me. Historically, I was the youngest manager for the terminal I was assigned in.
- In my current role I responsible for the management of several contractors/haulers who deliver to the most significant delivery envelope in the Philippines (Metro Manila)
- I was recognized and awarded as one of the top outstanding employees In the company for my performance in 2018
- I have led several large projects for the company that have provided millions of dollars in benefits. I have also been given significant responsibility by the company (e.g. Terminal Manager role) for the positions I’ve been in.
- Every year we go through performance rankings, and I have consistently been ranked high against my peers and have been given excellent performance feedback.

Extra Curricular
Triathlete
- I’ve joined many triathlon’s including two 70.3 Ironman events.
- Currently I am training for my first full Ironman 140.6 which will be in 2020.
Volunteer Work
- I’ve participated in various coastal clean up activities across the Philippines thanks to the opportunities provided to me through my work

Reason for MBA (Still working/reflecting on this part)
- Seeing the “bigger picture”, I’ve been quite fortunate in having several roles across operations but I do not yet have experience in other areas of business such as finance, marketing, sales, etc. I plan on majoring in strategy so I can capitalize on the various classes provided by MBA’s schools to develop a more wholistic approach when it comes to solving business problems.
- Diverse culture and international student profile. Adapting the best practices and management styles of different people. Coming from an “asian” background I do tend to be shy and not vocal, this is something I hope I can work on by being exposed to the “western” side of the world.
- My end goal would be to land in a role in a consulting company by using my skills (A strong foundation in operations, and “big picture” view of the needs of businesses)

Reason for the low GPA
- The course I finished was highly competitive (only 50% of us graduated) and as a honors course, it was one of the more prestigious courses of the university
- Poor balance of time, I was heavily involved in extra-curricular activities. I led several student org projects and was also a member of the fencing varsity team (I won gold in our UAAP (NCAA for the americas) competition). I plan on showing that I have already overcome this weakness through my success in work.

Questions: Do I need to re-take the GMAT to make up for my low GPA? Is 710 enough? How are my chances?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Kellogg '22
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 01:09
Hi! I'm looking to apply to B-schools in R2 this year, Kellogg is a top choice in terms of the culture, experience and overall value I am looking for. I would really appreciate inputs on the following:
a. Parts of my story that I should elaborate on
b. Apparent gaps that I should address
c. Additional things I can do to strengthen my application.

Background:
27, F, Indian
GMAT: 680 Q49,V34 (Looking to rewrite this)
Undergraduate degree: Architecture from a leading college in India. GPA: 7.8/10 (Note: Design courses are stringent with grades- the highest GPA in my batch was 9.2)
Thesis project: Redesigning the Juvenile delinquent centre in Mumbai.

Work Experience:
2014 - 2018 Startup

Right out of college I started an illustrated-merchandise brand called Curiosity Kills The Cat. (Called so because every illustration had a hidden cat in it - used this concept to extensively market my products). The range of products included artwork, t-shirts, notebooks, calendars etc.
Started this by myself, hired and expanded the team within a year. Established an e-commerce store, retailed the products through stores across India, participated in flea-markets and exhibitions such as Comic Con across India and Singapore (over 30 events in a span of 4 years), sold over 4000 product units.
I expanded the store to include studio services - worked with brands such as TATA, Fortis etc. I also undertook freelance architectural work for firms during this time - not sure if this is relevant.
Impactful design work:
1. Worked with Fortis hospital on a campaign to spread awareness about Organ donation - created an art installation for this at their main hospital.
2. Started an initiative called the 'Dabba Gaadi Project' in Bangalore, to help local street vendors by providing design solutions for their carts- both graphic (menus, painting the carts etc) and architectural (waterproof roofing, spatial organisation of the cart etc). Piloted with two carts.

As I wanted to get more experience/ exposure and learn from teams and other startup environments, I looked to work with other branding studios. Started CKTC when I was 21 so I felt like I was not growing beyond a point.

August 2018 - January 2019
Worked with a branding studio in Mumbai as a project manager and brand strategist. This experience exposed me to multiple brands and a varied set of projects - it was a great learning curve. I was looking to be more immersed within the growth of one startup + looking to do something socially impactful.

January 2019 - April 2019 Startup
Explored the idea of another startup - working with old billboards to create products and possibly roofing for slum housing.
Created multiple prototypes and worked with communities in Dharavi to develop the idea, had to move on from this because the quality of the billboards was very subpar.

May 2019 - Present
Currently working with a social startup as a communications manager. (Founded by the founder of a leading NGO in Asia). This startup creates activities/ sessions that are based on the interests of individuals and interests of children from low-income communities. The sessions are available on an online platform. I work closely with the product and programme team, general strategy, marketing and Comms.

International experience:
Primary schooling in Kuwait
Summer school for 2 months in Rotterdam in my third year of Undergrad
6 month internship in Srilanka (part of my Undergrad course)
6 month internship in Bali (part of my Undergrad course)

Extracurriculars:
Been learning contemporary and bollywood dance since college
Art & illustration - have been published multiple times in leading newspapers, magazines etc for my design startup
Did a 2 month writing workshop after college, and maintain a blog of short stories.
Enjoy traveling & live music - did a 2 month solo trip across the UK to watch my fav. bands - not sure this is relevant

Short Term goals:
Work with a larger organisation in the social sector, in a strategic or marketing role.

Long Term goals:
Startup on my own, use my skills as a designer/ strategist in the social sector - consulting for social startups/ comms & marketing for startups etc.

Why an MBA:
Purely to learn and enhance my skill set - I have had so many questions/ ideas about the various aspects of running a business and I feel an MBA will give me a wholesome learning experience, both in terms of the curriculum and the vast network I will be exposed to. I have followed an unorthodox path, and I really want to fuel this curiosity by virtue of the opportunities B-school will present.

Recommendations:
I can get strong recommendations from founders of both, the social startup I currently work at, and the branding studio I worked at previously.
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 02:48
reme04 wrote:
Hi! I'm looking to apply to B-schools in R2 this year, Kellogg is a top choice in terms of the culture, experience and overall value I am looking for. I would really appreciate inputs on the following:

Background:
27, F, Indian
Undergraduate degree: Architecture from a leading college in India. GPA: 7.8/10 (Note: Design courses are stringent with grades- the highest GPA in my batch was 9.2)

Work Experience:
2014 - 2018 Startup

Right out of college I started an illustrated-merchandise brand called Curiosity Kills The Cat. (Called so because every illustration had a hidden cat in it - used this concept to extensively market my products). The range of products included artwork, t-shirts, notebooks, calendars etc.
Started this by myself, hired and expanded the team within a year. Established an e-commerce store, retailed the products through stores across India, participated in flea-markets and exhibitions such as Comic Con across India and Singapore (over 30 events in a span of 4 years), sold over 4000 product units.
I expanded the store to include studio services - worked with brands such as TATA, Fortis etc. I also undertook freelance architectural work for firms during this time - not sure if this is relevant.
Impactful design work:
1. Worked with Fortis hospital on a campaign to spread awareness about Organ donation - created an art installation for this at their main hospital.
2. Started an initiative called the 'Dabba Gaadi Project' in Bangalore, to help local street vendors by providing design solutions for their carts- both graphic (menus, painting the carts etc) and architectural (waterproof roofing, spatial organisation of the cart etc). Piloted with two carts.

As I wanted to get more experience/ exposure and learn from teams and other startup environments, I looked to work with other branding studios. Started CKTC when I was 21 so I felt like I was not growing beyond a point.

Worked with a branding studio in Mumbai as a project manager and brand strategist. This experience exposed me to multiple brands and a varied set of projects - it was a great learning curve. I was looking to be more immersed within the growth of one startup + looking to do something socially impactful.

Explored the idea of another startup - working with old billboards to create products and possibly roofing for slum housing.
Created multiple prototypes and worked with communities in Dharavi to develop the idea, had to move on from this because the quality of the billboards was very subpar.

May 2019 - Present
Currently working with a social startup as a communications manager. (Founded by the founder of a leading NGO in Asia). This startup creates activities/ sessions that are based on the interests of individuals and interests of children from low-income communities. The sessions are available on an online platform. I work closely with the product and programme team, general strategy, marketing and Comms.

Extracurriculars:
Art & illustration - have been published multiple times in leading newspapers, magazines etc for my design startup
Did a 2 month writing workshop after college, and maintain a blog of short stories.
Enjoy traveling & live music - did a 2 month solo trip across the UK to watch my fav. bands - not sure this is relevant

Short Term goals:
Work with a larger organisation in the social sector, in a strategic or marketing role.

Long Term goals:
Startup on my own, use my skills as a designer/ strategist in the social sector - consulting for social startups/ comms & marketing for startups etc.

Why an MBA:
Purely to learn and enhance my skill set - I have had so many questions/ ideas about the various aspects of running a business and I feel an MBA will give me a wholesome learning experience, both in terms of the curriculum and the vast network I will be exposed to. I have followed an unorthodox path, and I really want to fuel this curiosity by virtue of the opportunities B-school will present.

Recommendations:
I can get strong recommendations from founders of both, the social startup I currently work at, and the branding studio I worked at previously.

Hi Reme,

I love your profile and think that you are a very strong candidate for MBA. The GMAT score definitely needs to improve and be more in line with the average GMAT scores of your target programs (Kellogg : ~730).

What I particularly like about your profile is your entrepreneurial work. You have run a successful venture, generated employment and done meaningful work. Putting to use your expertise in socially relevant projects is outstanding work, and what I like here is the consistency with which you have done this, across the different organizations you have worked with. This can lead you to very strong career goals. I am going to encourage you to read student blogs of your target programs (besides connecting with students) and you will find many current students across programs have done offbeat work like yours even while at business school. So while at b-school, you can continue exploring opportunities to make meaningful impact.
The MBA degree should be very relevant for you. It sounds like you have had an amazing professional journey but the steep career path has also made you aware of gaps that have prevented you from further growth (plateauing in your venture, and others not mentioned here)- this gives you the perfect pitch to justify the MBA. AT Kellogg you can also look into the MMM program or you could simply do the full time MBA and take design courses to complement the business courses.

Regarding your short term goals, do you have any organizations in mind? You will have to list 2-3 names in your goals statement. Also, do some research on how your target companies recruit - do they hire internationals and (if you wish to work in the US or other specific countries) do they recruit for your target countries? As an international applicant, its really important to know what is realistic in terms of career goals and how you will go about achieving it.

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Nov 2019, 06:32
Hi

Originally posted by reme04 on 14 Nov 2019, 04:54.
Last edited by reme04 on 14 Nov 2019, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 05:14
Hi Namita,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to evaluate my profile, really appreciate it!
I’m looking forward to my application process - I’m hoping I can pull my GMAT score up.

To answer your questions about my post MBA Goals, I’m looking at organisations such as DASRA (non profit consulting in india) and IDEO (design innovation firm that works across multiple sectors, non profit included). I’m not keen on working in the US, More keen on UK/ India/ Singapore.

I have a few questions and I’d love your inputs on the same:

1. What other schools would you suggest I apply to? I am keen on the top 10-12, and since time is tight for R2 I would like to choose Uni’s that I have a good shot at.

2. What are some points in my story that you think I should stress on in the application or gaps that I should address in my optional essay? I basically don’t want to leave room For ambiguity in my story.

Thanks again Namita, really appreciate your help!

MBADecoder wrote:
reme04 wrote:

Background:
27, F, Indian

Work Experience:
2014 - 2018 Startup

Impactful design work:

May 2019 - Present

Extracurriculars:

Short Term goals:

Long Term goals:

Why an MBA:

Recommendations:

Hi Reme,

I love your profile and think that you are a very strong candidate for MBA. The GMAT score definitely needs to improve and be more in line with the average GMAT scores of your target programs (Kellogg : ~730).

What I particularly like about your profile is your entrepreneurial work. You have run a successful venture, generated employment and done meaningful work. Putting to use your expertise in socially relevant projects is outstanding work, and what I like here is the consistency with which you have done this, across the different organizations you have worked with. This can lead you to very strong career goals. I am going to encourage you to read student blogs of your target programs (besides connecting with students) and you will find many current students across programs have done offbeat work like yours even while at business school. So while at b-school, you can continue exploring opportunities to make meaningful impact.
The MBA degree should be very relevant for you. It sounds like you have had an amazing professional journey but the steep career path has also made you aware of gaps that have prevented you from further growth (plateauing in your venture, and others not mentioned here)- this gives you the perfect pitch to justify the MBA. AT Kellogg you can also look into the MMM program or you could simply do the full time MBA and take design courses to complement the business courses.

Regarding your short term goals, do you have any organizations in mind? You will have to list 2-3 names in your goals statement. Also, do some research on how your target companies recruit - do they hire internationals and (if you wish to work in the US or other specific countries) do they recruit for your target countries? As an international applicant, its really important to know what is realistic in terms of career goals and how you will go about achieving it.

SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 23:56
reme04 wrote:
Hi Namita,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to evaluate my profile, really appreciate it!
I’m looking forward to my application process - I’m hoping I can pull my GMAT score up.

To answer your questions about my post MBA Goals, I’m looking at organisations such as DASRA (non profit consulting in india) and IDEO (design innovation firm that works across multiple sectors, non profit included). I’m not keen on working in the US, More keen on UK/ India/ Singapore.

I have a few questions and I’d love your inputs on the same:

1. What other schools would you suggest I apply to? I am keen on the top 10-12, and since time is tight for R2 I would like to choose Uni’s that I have a good shot at.

2. What are some points in my story that you think I should stress on in the application or gaps that I should address in my optional essay? I basically don’t want to leave room For ambiguity in my story.

Thanks again Namita, really appreciate your help!

Hi Reme04,

Given the time constraint and the pending GMAT retake, I would advise you to max it out at 4-5 b-schools - that's also ambitious if you are to submit solid applications. You should look at programs that also have a good mix of design/ entrepreneurship-related courses in addition to the regular MBA curriculum. As for the gaps- a solid GMAT score with a solid quant section will help. Not many architects do MBAs and if your architecture course had design as the larger component as opposed to a quantitative curriculum (I believe the architecture degree can either be quant heavy or design heavy, depending upon where you are doing it from in India), then you would definitely want to prove your quantitative strength.
The other thing- you have changed many companies in a short time. It will help to give the adcom a perspective on that through the optional essay.

Invested In Your Success
GMAT Club Bot
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2019, 23:56

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21    Next  [ 418 posts ] 

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: tanmay1392, jaja231