GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 03:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '21, Rotman
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 04:46
Hi - would really appreciate an analysis of my profile as well. Below is my profile - I am keen to look at marketing and/or strategy studies oriented MBA programmes. Need help with shortlisting colleges - my preference is towards 1 - year programmes like the one at ISB Hyderabad, but open to other programmes too. Thanks!

I am 26 years old female candidate and come from a communication and marketing background with work ex of 4 years. Graduated from University of Delhi with BA Hons in Journalism, where I studied several subjects like political science, economics, international relations, print, radio and TV journalism, and marketing and advertising, besides others.

From there on, got interested in marketing and studied at the Indian Institute of Mass Comm for a PG Diploma in Advertising and PR.

I have 4+ years of work experience, including a currently ongoing 2+ year stint at a leading international airline where I am responsible for consumer marketing portfolio.

Here are my scores:
10th Std - 85.4%
12th Std (Science) - 77%
Graduation - 75.25%
PG Diploma - 72.05%
GMAT (expected, yet to take the exam) - 690-710

I was awarded the Public Relations Society of India (PRSI) Award in 2016; and was nominated by my firm for a 30 Under 30 Industry Award. I have worked with a Delhi based NGO working in the space of emotional education of children for about 1-1.5 years. I also have a lot of internships at college level with organizations like Indian Express and BBDO (ad agency). During my graduation and the PG Diploma, I have worked on several live projects like documentary film-making, authoring original dissertations and seminar papers, radio programmes, ad film-making, and an award-winning capstone project for a leading Indian Home Care brand.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg, NYU Stern
CAT Tests
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 11:22
Hi! I would really appreciate a profile eval for my applications. Thanks!

Background:
- Mexican
- Male
- 29 years old

· Education:
- Universidad Anahuac Norte (Top 5)
- 79/100
- Bachelor in Business Administration

· Other coursework or post-undergraduate education:
- MBAMath

· GMAT:
- No oficial score yet. Realistic score 680-700

· Work experience (finance):
- 1.5 years in a boutique bank as Credit Director with a team of 2 people (participated with the company to create the credit area from scratch)
- 1 year as Credit Analyst and on the 2nd year got promoted to Credit Coordinator
- 8 months as IB Analyst
- 1.5 years as an intern in HSBC Mexico

· Extracurricular activities:
- Running (Chicago 2018 Marathon, Mexico 5-pax SalaValle 120km)
- Road biking
- Former board member of a nonprofit organization for 1.5 years
- Volunteering in the sep-19 earthquake in Mexico City

· Post-MBA goals:
- Transition into private equity.

· Other information relevant to your profile:
- Casual chess player
- Strong recommendations and essays
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2020, 07:00
Hi MartinLF90, thanks for sharing your profile! It sounds like you have some solid work experience, especially building out your group from scratch and leading a team despite being fairly early in your career. Unfortunately your undergrad performance and targeted GMAT score are below the averages for Kellogg, which may make acceptance tough for you. What type of GMAT prep have you been doing? Sometimes 1:1 tutoring can help take someone's score to the next tier (I don't offer this service and have no vested interest in it - just have seen it work for clients). Further, targeting a post-MBA PE role without prior PE experience is a very competitive path; in your essays, make sure to build the case for why this is a realistic goal given your background, etc. As this upcoming cycle is likely to be quite competitive, I recommend spreading your risk around by applying to a handful of schools that appeal to you. Good luck!

MartinLF90 wrote:
Hi! I would really appreciate a profile eval for my applications. Thanks!

Background:
- Mexican
- Male
- 29 years old

· Education:
- Universidad Anahuac Norte (Top 5)
- 79/100
- Bachelor in Business Administration

· Other coursework or post-undergraduate education:
- MBAMath

· GMAT:
- No oficial score yet. Realistic score 680-700

· Work experience (finance):
- 1.5 years in a boutique bank as Credit Director with a team of 2 people (participated with the company to create the credit area from scratch)
- 1 year as Credit Analyst and on the 2nd year got promoted to Credit Coordinator
- 8 months as IB Analyst
- 1.5 years as an intern in HSBC Mexico

- Running (Chicago 2018 Marathon, Mexico 5-pax SalaValle 120km)
- Road biking
- Former board member of a nonprofit organization for 1.5 years
- Volunteering in the sep-19 earthquake in Mexico City

· Post-MBA goals:
- Transition into private equity.

- Casual chess player
- Strong recommendations and essays

Contact us for a Free Consultation!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: UVA Darden
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.55
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2020, 10:23
Hello everyone,
Will be glad for a profile evaluation.
Indian male, 24
Gmat -740

Preferred bschools - kellogg, , Columbia, emory, isb (india), rice (jones), darden

Undergrad 6.5/7 CGPA from a top 10 college in India as a bachelor's degree in Commerce, graduated in 2017. University of mumbai ( HR COLLEGE OF COMMERCE)

Other certifications- US CFA ( above 90 percentile at all levels) , US CMA , US CPA , US CAIA ( Part 1 completed).

Few other investment and derivative certifications and courses along with the FMVA financial modelling course.

Worked full time during all three years of my college,
2 years as an investment analyst in a mid size firm (full time though might be considered as an internship)
1 year of articleship as an accountant in a mid tier accountancy firm ( since i did two levels of Chartered accountancy as well)

Post graduation,
Working in one of the top accountancy firms in my state , joined as an accountant but with pretty good performance, was promoted as the team leader within a year , managing a team of 8.
Well after working there for about 2 years, i had developed indepth knowledge of the biggest industry in that state ( mining and minerals) as they were our major clients and successfully started a new wing within my firm providing consulting and advisory service to MSME ( Micro small and medium enterprise).
Was a great success, bought in a chunk of clients bringing other business with them as well. Was promoted as the manager of the firm handling the entire msme consulting division along with the 20 employees that comes with it. (Total work experience- 4 years at matriculation)

With respect to the social impact, i am very happy and proud of the projects that i have successfully completed.
During my college days, was the head of the National service scheme, ( pretty big collaboration between colleges), though head of my own college.
Helped the workers and the domestic help to get themselves organised and worked with them forming a union registered with their local police stations bringing a regulation and oversight towards any wrongful treatment and exploitation against them.

For the past 4 years, I am a registered member of the heartfulness organization, an education and spirituality organization, teaching the younger generation about the importance and understanding of spirituality. Have organized seminars all across the country with an median attendance of about 2000-3000 people in every one of them.
Have been part of various initiatives such as the green kanha, wherein we strive and work towards environmental protection and preservation, planting thousands of trees and having a means for water conservation for the use of agricultural.

On a side note- i created 2 firms in the mining and mineral line, using my skills and knowledge to grab a solid opportunity, (wanted to strategically use funds, selling one business at a good profit and utilizing that to run my other firm and making it a export oriented unit, this sale freed up my investment and helped my family come out of a tough financial condition). The important part of this venture was to make it a self sustaining source of incomenfor my family and form a partnership with the right kind of people having excellent business management skills and good hold at a local level. Hopefully everything till now went as planned.

Posted from my mobile device
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2020, 12:07
jeetsethi09 wrote:
Hello everyone, Hi @jeetsethi09, will give you my thoughts below on your profile
Will be glad for a profile evaluation.
Indian male, 24
Gmat -740

Preferred bschools - kellogg, , Columbia, emory, isb (india), rice (jones), darden

Undergrad 6.5/7 CGPA from a top 10 college in India as a bachelor's degree in Commerce, graduated in 2017. University of mumbai ( HR COLLEGE OF COMMERCE)

Other certifications- US CFA ( above 90 percentile at all levels) , US CMA , US CPA , US CAIA ( Part 1 completed).

Few other investment and derivative certifications and courses along with the FMVA financial modelling course.

Worked full time during all three years of my college,All this and working during college impressive!
2 years as an investment analyst in a mid size firm (full time though might be considered as an internship)
1 year of articleship as an accountant in a mid tier accountancy firm ( since i did two levels of Chartered accountancy as well)

Post graduation,
Working in one of the top accountancy firms in my state , joined as an accountant but with pretty good performance, was promoted as the team leader within a year , managing a team of 8. also stands out to be managing a team of 8
Well after working there for about 2 years, i had developed indepth knowledge of the biggest industry in that state ( mining and minerals) as they were our major clients and successfully started a new wing within my firm providing consulting and advisory service to MSME ( Micro small and medium enterprise).
Was a great success, bought in a chunk of clients bringing other business with them as well. Was promoted as the manager of the firm handling the entire msme consulting division along with the 20 employees that comes with it. (Total work experience- 4 years at matriculation) Good impact

With respect to the social impact, i am very happy and proud of the projects that i have successfully completed.
During my college days, was the head of the National service scheme, ( pretty big collaboration between colleges), though head of my own college.
Helped the workers and the domestic help to get themselves organised and worked with them forming a union registered with their local police stations bringing a regulation and oversight towards any wrongful treatment and exploitation against them.

For the past 4 years, I am a registered member of the heartfulness organization, an education and spirituality organization, teaching the younger generation about the importance and understanding of spirituality. Have organized seminars all across the country with an median attendance of about 2000-3000 people in every one of them.
Have been part of various initiatives such as the green kanha, wherein we strive and work towards environmental protection and preservation, planting thousands of trees and having a means for water conservation for the use of agricultural. This also is a nice complement to your finance side.

On a side note- i created 2 firms in the mining and mineral line, using my skills and knowledge to grab a solid opportunity, (wanted to strategically use funds, selling one business at a good profit and utilizing that to run my other firm and making it a export oriented unit, this sale freed up my investment and helped my family come out of a tough financial condition). The important part of this venture was to make it a self sustaining source of incomenfor my family and form a partnership with the right kind of people having excellent business management skills and good hold at a local level. Hopefully everything till now went as planned.

Regarding your schools-- here are my thoughts: kellogg-- the collaboration and community building will resonate-- they will also like your finance background, , Columbia-- could see you presenting favorably with a strong application, emory-- very strong chances, isb (india)- strong, rice (jones)-- strong, darden-- see you as a strong candidate here. Obviously no one can say for sure your outcome-- you must apply for that! But I see no reason that if you present your story well in essays, resume, short answers-- that you can be a strong candidate at many of your schools of interest. Reach out if you want to have a free consult to discuss more of your specific situation.

B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 05:10
doublewhammy wrote:
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application stage - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)
Common Admissions Test (CAT2015) - 98.50 percentile ( 220,000 test takers from India)

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -
Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting in the cpg practise and then start an entrepreneurial venture

Ideal GMAt score considering my background

Rohit6 could you weigh in on my profile?
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Other (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2020, 04:34
Hello KaumudiT

Your profile is pretty interesting and I would highly recommend you to think beyond ISB. Your story (30 Under 30 Industry Award, documentary film-making, experience in Airlines) can become very interesting if told in a proper way.

Since there is huge uncertainty on GMAT, I would recommend to focus on things which are under control/ influence. Other around one year MBA programs you can focus are INSEAD, CBS J Term, LBS.

Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin

KaumudiT wrote:
Hi - would really appreciate an analysis of my profile as well. Below is my profile - I am keen to look at marketing and/or strategy studies oriented MBA programmes. Need help with shortlisting colleges - my preference is towards 1 - year programmes like the one at ISB Hyderabad, but open to other programmes too. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2020, 01:48
Hi all,

Glad if I can get my profile evaluated.

Target School: Kellogg (2Y), Wharton, CBS, Sloan

Background:
- Chinese
- Female
- 26 years old

· Education:
- Universidad of Hong Kong
- 3.55/4.3 (First Class Honour)
- Bachelor of Science in Surveying (It is a major focusing on Real Estate under the Dept of Real Estate and Construction, Faculty of Architecture)
- Semester Exchange in University of Birmingham

· GRE:
- V165 Q169 AWA3.5

· Work experience (Real Estate, Hong Kong):
- 1.5 years in top 3 Chinese RE Developer Investment team, promoted to assistant manager from officer after 1 year in firm. Core member in project acquisition and financing (Present directly to Chairmen on proposals and participate in negotiation with partners)
- 1 year as Management Trainee in top 3 Chinese RE Developer, rotated in Investment, Sales, and Cost & Contract
- 8 months as IB Intern, supported a deal on commercial RE firm M&A

- Language Learning (Fluent Cantonese, Intermediate French, Elementary Japanese)
- Muay Thai for over 4 yrs
- Committed member in English Debate Team in uni,
- Team Leader in HK Team for a student-led charity organization focusing on integrating asylum seekers into HK society in uni

· Post-MBA goals:
- Acquisition role in Real Estate Private Equity

- Recommendations from a direct supervisor who is willing to say good words but no MBA or recommendation writing experience
- Wondering will AWA score in GRE be a disadvantage

Thanks
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2020, 10:59
Hi NeergIzGniq, thanks for sharing your profile! You have many things going for you that will be appealing to the adcom, nice work! I am not overly concerned with your AWA score, so long as you come across well in the video essays and interview. I would certainly prepare your recommender with information on what the adcom is looking for and even discuss the details of projects on which you have worked together to trigger his/her memory of your contributions. I would also be sure to build out a solid rationale for why an MBA is critical to achieving your career goal - you seem to be on a strong path within RE investing already, so schools will want a clear picture of the skills you need that only an MBA can provide. Good luck!
Contact us for a Free Consultation!
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2020, 02:28
Hi NeergIzGniq,

Kellogg is a great school when it comes to 'Real Estate' as a post-MBA goal. You could also look into Stern, Haas and Anderson (they are great schools for real-estate as well).

As for Kellogg, talking first about score, you've got a decent undergraduate score and a GRE score of 310+ would help you stand out among the crowd. However, contrary to the popular opinion, the school is not just limited to scores and work-ex but looks for a vibrant and impactful personality. I wouldn't worry much about AWA because of the holistic application process which involves essay questions, video essay and interviews.

Kellogg looks for the following qualities in the applicants:
1. Collaborative leadership
2. Diversity: Not just limited to work experience but also 'diversity of thought and perspective)
3. Problem Solvers/Initiators
4. Globally aware citizens

I clearly see a mix of 1, 2 and 4 in your profile. Make sure you bring out examples to show 'problem solving/initiating' skills in your essays. Considering your score and profile, I believe you have a fair chance to make it to Kellogg. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.
And, don't worry much about the recommender's inexperience in writing LORs, as long as a recommender highlights the skills which gives a strong premise to your application, you are in a good spot.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

NeergIzGniq wrote:
Hi all,

Glad if I can get my profile evaluated.

Target School: Kellogg (2Y), Wharton, CBS, Sloan

Background:
- Chinese
- Female
- 26 years old

· Education:
- Universidad of Hong Kong
- 3.55/4.3 (First Class Honour)
- Bachelor of Science in Surveying (It is a major focusing on Real Estate under the Dept of Real Estate and Construction, Faculty of Architecture)
- Semester Exchange in University of Birmingham

· GRE:
- V165 Q169 AWA3.5

· Work experience (Real Estate, Hong Kong):
- 1.5 years in top 3 Chinese RE Developer Investment team, promoted to assistant manager from officer after 1 year in firm. Core member in project acquisition and financing (Present directly to Chairmen on proposals and participate in negotiation with partners)
- 1 year as Management Trainee in top 3 Chinese RE Developer, rotated in Investment, Sales, and Cost & Contract
- 8 months as IB Intern, supported a deal on commercial RE firm M&A

- Language Learning (Fluent Cantonese, Intermediate French, Elementary Japanese)
- Muay Thai for over 4 yrs
- Committed member in English Debate Team in uni,
- Team Leader in HK Team for a student-led charity organization focusing on integrating asylum seekers into HK society in uni

· Post-MBA goals:
- Acquisition role in Real Estate Private Equity

- Recommendations from a direct supervisor who is willing to say good words but no MBA or recommendation writing experience
- Wondering will AWA score in GRE be a disadvantage

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2020, 20:14
Hello all, and hope everybody is staying safe! Would love a profile evaluation if possible. Would love to hear thoughts on my admissions chances for both the one-year and the two-year program. One-year could be a better fit given career goals, but wasn't sure if it was going to be viewed as an inferior product or if I would miss out on critical networking opportunities by not doing the full two-year program.

Background:
White Male
Age 26

College:
Finance degree from "Public Ivy" (but not one that's quite UVA/Berkeley caliber) with top 10 undergraduate business school
3.6 GPA

GMAT: 730

Work Experience:
4 years at top real estate mortgage banking firm (though unsure if MBA programs have a sense for what "top" mortgage banking firms are, so not sure how much this helps me). Have held multiple roles within the firm, a path I chose to broaden my skill set.

Extracurriculars:
Admittedly a weak spot. Outside of work I stay involved with a leadership role in my high school's alumni association, which is something I'm passionate about, but I'm not sure how this would be viewed by an MBA admissions office.

Post MBA Goals:
Move to investment side of real estate, leverage Kellogg brand and network to help source equity investor relationships. However a lot of the interest in pursuing an MBA is to explore the PropTech field, where I could leverage my real estate knowledge but would certainly be looking at it though a different lens that MBA classes and connections would really help with.

Other comments:
Would be nervous to seek a recommendation from a direct supervisor given economic uncertainty during the pandemic, but could get a good recommendation from a direct supervisor who now works for a competitor.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2020, 04:04
Hi gmatfan5,

You've got a great profile there and Kellogg is a great school when it comes to 'Real Estate' as a post-MBA goal. You could also look into Stern, Haas and Anderson (they are great schools for real-estate as well).

I wouldn't worry much about MBA programs having a sense of what 'top' mortgage banking firms are (which they would know) as long as I can showcase what the school is looking for in an applicant.

2. Diversity: Not just limited to work experience but also 'diversity of thought and perspective'

I see a good mix of 1&4 in your profile. Make sure you also bring out examples to show 'diversity' and 'problem solving skills' in your essays. Since you are involved in a leadership role in your high school's alumni association, these should be easy to bring out in your application. Hence, I wouldn't consider your extracurriculars a weak spot.
Candidates often tend to underestimate their extracurriculars when they first start. I am quite sure if you dig deep enough about what you do outside of work, you'd definitely find more meat around what the school is looking for in a candidate. It could be as simple as blogging for fun, or just going for a certain meetup to broaden your perspective.

As for your recommendation, a good recommendation from a direct supervisor who now works for a competitor is definitely not a problem for your application.

Considering your score and profile, I believe you have a fair chance to make it to Kellogg. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime in the coming week to discuss your chances in further detail. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

gmatfan5 wrote:
Hello all, and hope everybody is staying safe! Would love a profile evaluation if possible. Would love to hear thoughts on my admissions chances for both the one-year and the two-year program. One-year could be a better fit given career goals, but wasn't sure if it was going to be viewed as an inferior product or if I would miss out on critical networking opportunities by not doing the full two-year program.

Background:
White Male
Age 26

College:
Finance degree from "Public Ivy" (but not one that's quite UVA/Berkeley caliber) with top 10 undergraduate business school
3.6 GPA

GMAT: 730

Work Experience:
4 years at top real estate mortgage banking firm (though unsure if MBA programs have a sense for what "top" mortgage banking firms are, so not sure how much this helps me). Have held multiple roles within the firm, a path I chose to broaden my skill set.

Extracurriculars:
Admittedly a weak spot. Outside of work I stay involved with a leadership role in my high school's alumni association, which is something I'm passionate about, but I'm not sure how this would be viewed by an MBA admissions office.

Post MBA Goals:
Move to investment side of real estate, leverage Kellogg brand and network to help source equity investor relationships. However a lot of the interest in pursuing an MBA is to explore the PropTech field, where I could leverage my real estate knowledge but would certainly be looking at it though a different lens that MBA classes and connections would really help with.

Other comments:
Would be nervous to seek a recommendation from a direct supervisor given economic uncertainty during the pandemic, but could get a good recommendation from a direct supervisor who now works for a competitor.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2020, 16:17
Hello!

Was hoping for someone to evaluate my profile and would appreciate any insights someone could provide!

Demographics

United Arab Emirates, 27, Male

GMAT: 755

Education

All Top Canadian Universities, with Masters being 1 year Masters each.

Undergraduate degree in Life Science - GPA: 2.0/4.0
1st Masters: Innovation & Entrepreneurship- 3.8/4.0
2nd Masters: Data Analytics - 4.0/4.0

Executive at student run Investment Fund

Transition from Middle East to Canada was extremely difficult. Poor English and first in my family to pursue University. Family problems back home as well. Got myself together by 4th year and hustled hard ever since.

Work Experience

1 Year at brand new Sustainability start-up
Internships in technology group and VC department at large Canadian Pension Funds
2 years work experience at MBB, promoted to MBA consulting role (EXTREME NETWORKING & PERFORMANCE DURING INTERVIEW HELPED ME LAND IT)

Extracurricular
Executive at Data Analytics Community Group hosting podcasts and events to develop Data Analytics in Canada and the Middle East
Tutoring and Mentoring young gulf nationals in free time
Volunteering at mental health startup in Gulf to create awareness about the topic

Looking to apply 2022 Intake.

Do I even have a prayer of a shot with my abysmal GPA?

Future Goal: Middle Eastern Sovereign Wealth Funds - Value creation groups and Venture Capital.
or
Government in home country to help advance technology in the region
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Kelley '14 (A$)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2020, 21:32
ReachMBA wrote:
Hello!

Was hoping for someone to evaluate my profile and would appreciate any insights someone could provide!

Demographics

Education

Transition from Middle East to Canada was extremely difficult. Poor English and first in my family to pursue University. Family problems back home as well. Got myself together by 4th year and hustled hard ever since.

Work Experience

Internships in technology group and VC department at large Canadian Pension Funds
2 years work experience at MBB, promoted to MBA consulting role (EXTREME NETWORKING & PERFORMANCE DURING INTERVIEW HELPED ME LAND IT)

Extracurricular
Executive at Data Analytics Community Group hosting podcasts and events to develop Data Analytics in Canada and the Middle East
Volunteering at mental health startup in Gulf to create awareness about the topic

Future Goal: Middle Eastern Sovereign Wealth Funds - Value creation groups and Venture Capital.
or

Hello ReachMBA,

You have a good GMAT score, assuming you meant 750. Your GPA is on lower end surely, but you have demonstrated consistent improvement in your scores, along with achievements in your professional life. You have great GPAs in the two Masters courses you pursued. And you said your scores showed consistent improvement since 4th year (assuming you did a 4-year undergrad). That is telling about your academic intelligence, coupled with the fact that you have tenable reasons for a low GPA (poor English) in your first three years of education. You can talk about this as part of your MBA stories too. One question might be why an MBA after two Masters, or why two Masters (though they are 1 year each).

If MBB could take you in with that low GPA, you definitely stand a chance at Kellogg. This point wouldn’t go unnoticed by the AdCom too surely. However, you may want to think around your career path pre-MBA and post-MBA. You took up a job with MBB after internships in VCs (I am assuming that is the chronology of your experience) and now again want to go back to VC post-MBA.

You also do not come from an over-represented background, so that is another plus point.

Kellogg is doable as long as you can put forward a convincing story outlining everything coherently.

All the best!!

https://ruchipandeconsulting.com/

For more information, write to: info@ruchipandeconsulting.com
For detailed profile evaluation: https://ruchipandeconsulting.com/contact-us/
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2020, 01:12
Hi ReachMBA

You've got a great profile there and congratulations on a great GMAT score!. You could additionally look into other schools too, if moving back to middle-east is also your post-MBA goal.

2. Diversity: Not just limited to work experience but also 'diversity of thought and perspective'

I see a good mix of 1,2&3 in your profile. Make sure you also bring out examples to show 'diversity' and 'global awareness' in your essays. Since you are volunteering for a mental health startup, these should be easy to bring out in your application. I wouldn't worry much about GPA as long as the exemplary experiential snippets can overshadow it, which I can already see in your profile (you making it to MBB) + you also have a great GMAT score.

Considering your score and profile, I believe you have a fair chance to make it to Kellogg. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances for all your target schools. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

ReachMBA wrote:
Hello!

Demographics

Education

Work Experience

Extracurricular

or
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2020, 03:06
Hi all,

Requesting a profile evaluation.
Target School: Kellogg 1 year and Johnson 1 Year

Background:
- Indian
- Male
- 33 years old with 8 Years of Work Experience

· Education:
- PG Diploma in Management (MBA Equivalent)- Marketing – India- 73%
- Bachelor of Technology- Mechanical Engineering- 76% (with Honors)

· GMAT:
- Will be taking in July End (Getting 680-690 in GMAT Prep Mocks) Expecting 690-700 in Actual

Profile-
Experience of 8 Years in Sales & Marketing, Strategy and Capability building in India’s Leading Automobile OEM

• Lead a field Team of 13 Area Managers along with a dotted line reporting by managers of Rural, Corporate & Exchange Sales
• Rated as Best Manager within one year into the leadership role- Scored 100% in Employee Satisfaction Index
4 roles/5 locations in a span of 8 years
• Area Manager- Channel Sales- SUVs- 4 Years, 2 different Geographies
• Capability Building Lead in HR for Sales and Marketing Function- 1 year
• Regional Manager- Sales Head for small commercial vehicles for one of the largest states of India
• Executive Assistant to Business Head & Chief of Sales and Customer Care

Other Points
• Economic Times Young leader-2018 (46 Winners/ 27,000 Participants in a National Leadership hunt of 5 Months/4 rounds)
• Youngest Regional Manager in the organization (4 promotions in 7 years with consistent top appraisal ratings)
• Member of the prestigious Leadership Accelerator Program for Identified Hi-Pot candidates
• Secretary, Management Grid (5 member Student Management Council in MBA) organized various National Conferences (HR, Finance, and Marketing) round the year by inviting best speakers/researchers from the industry
• Lead Vocalist and founding member of college Rock Band and Acoustic Guitar player
• Co-Coordinator- Dramatics Club (Winners in Street play, Theatrical stage play for 2 Years in a row at various National fests

Post-MBA goals:
Plan A – Most of my professional experience has revolved around Sales and Marketing with a higher focus on Sales aspect in the Automotive Industry. I am really interested in working on influencing consumer behavior by doing Product Management preferably in the CPG Industry where I would also be interested in exploring Digital Marketing/Strategy going forward.
Plan B – Enter one of the leading Strategy Consulting firms as an Industry expert to solve complex problems.

Other Doubts-

• 8+ years’ experience in a relatively younger class, will I be at a disadvantage in terms of roles and compensation or generally people with high experience in the class get better offers as per their experience? (Most critical question for me)
• I have already done a full time 2 year MBA at the beginning of my career hence I am only considering a 1 year MBA.

Regards,

Vichitra
Manager
Manager
S
KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2020, 03:31
Hi Vichitra,

Nice profile there, and Kellogg is a great school when it comes to Consulting and product Management as a post-MBA goal. As per the career stats of 2019 (by industry), 31% of the class went for Consulting and 25%.for Tech.

I see a good mix of 1&2 in your profile owing to your 8 years of work experience.
Make sure you also bring out examples to show 'diversity' and 'global awareness' in your essays. Kellogg also wants to understand what you really are as a person beyond your work experience.

I'd say, shoot for 700+ in your GMAT for Kellogg. With that score and your profile, I believe you stand a fair chance to make it to Kellogg. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

Based on your profile, I'd also suggest you look into other 1 year MBA programs too, as you would have 9+ years of work experience at the time of matriculation.
If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in further detail. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

Vichitra wrote:
Hi all,

Background:
- Indian
- Male

· Education:

· GMAT:
- Will be taking in July End (Getting 680-690 in GMAT Prep Mocks) Expecting 690-700 in Actual

Profile-
Experience of 8 Years in Sales & Marketing, Strategy and Capability building in India’s Leading Automobile OEM

• Lead a field Team of 13 Area Managers along with a dotted line reporting by managers of Rural, Corporate & Exchange Sales
• Rated as Best Manager within one year into the leadership role- Scored 100% in Employee Satisfaction Index
• Regional Manager- Sales Head for small commercial vehicles for one of the largest states of India

Other Points
• Economic Times Young leader-2018 (46 Winners/ 27,000 Participants in a National Leadership hunt of 5 Months/4 rounds)
• Youngest Regional Manager in the organization (4 promotions in 7 years with consistent top appraisal ratings)
• Member of the prestigious Leadership Accelerator Program for Identified Hi-Pot candidates
• Secretary, Management Grid (5 member Student Management Council in MBA) organized various National Conferences (HR, Finance, and Marketing) round the year by inviting best speakers/researchers from the industry
• Lead Vocalist and founding member of college Rock Band and Acoustic Guitar player
• Co-Coordinator- Dramatics Club (Winners in Street play, Theatrical stage play for 2 Years in a row at various National fests

Post-MBA goals:
Plan A – Most of my professional experience has revolved around Sales and Marketing with a higher focus on Sales aspect in the Automotive Industry. I am really interested in working on influencing consumer behavior by doing Product Management preferably in the CPG Industry where I would also be interested in exploring Digital Marketing/Strategy going forward.
Plan B – Enter one of the leading Strategy Consulting firms as an Industry expert to solve complex problems.

Other Doubts-

• 8+ years’ experience in a relatively younger class, will I be at a disadvantage in terms of roles and compensation or generally people with high experience in the class get better offers as per their experience? (Most critical question for me)
• I have already done a full time 2 year MBA at the beginning of my career hence I am only considering a 1 year MBA.

Regards,

Vichitra
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2020, 03:42
Answering your questions Vichitra,

8+ years’ experience in a relatively younger class, will I be at a disadvantage in terms of roles and compensation or generally people with high experience in the class get better offers as per their experience? (Most critical question for me)
You will certainly not be at a disadvantage as long as you back your story up with good reasons for you to join this program. As for the compensation, it really depends what you'd be aiming for. If it'll be consulting, it will definitely be more, since you are an expert in the field. But, if you are looking to switch to Product Management, you might have to settle for a little lesser. That said, let's not forget your industry expertise and knowledge, which can be a big game changer.
I have already done a full time 2 year MBA at the beginning of my career hence I am only considering a 1 year MBA.
Yes, going for a 1 year MBA is the right decision you've made.

MBAnBConsulting wrote:
Hi Vichitra,

Nice profile there, and Kellogg is a great school when it comes to Consulting and product Management as a post-MBA goal. As per the career stats of 2019 (by industry), 31% of the class went for Consulting and 25%.for Tech.

I see a good mix of 1&2 in your profile owing to your 8 years of work experience.
Make sure you also bring out examples to show 'diversity' and 'global awareness' in your essays. Kellogg also wants to understand what you really are as a person beyond your work experience.

I'd say, shoot for 700+ in your GMAT for Kellogg. With that score and your profile, I believe you stand a fair chance to make it to Kellogg. What’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

Based on your profile, I'd also suggest you look into other 1 year MBA programs too, as you would have 9+ years of work experience at the time of matriculation.
If you'd like, I am happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in further detail. Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin

Vichitra wrote:
Hi all,

Background:
- Indian
- Male

· Education:

· GMAT:

Profile-

Other Points

Post-MBA goals:

Other Doubts-

Regards,

Vichitra
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Kelley '14 (A$)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2020, 03:57
Vichitra wrote:
Hi all,

Background:
- Indian
- Male

· Education:

· GMAT:

Profile-

Other Points

Post-MBA goals:

Other Doubts-

Regards,

Vichitra

Hello Vichitra,

You need to get a higher GMAT score than your test score if you want a more serious consideration in these schools, especially Kellogg.
Since you want to apply for a 1-year program, you work-ex is not on the higher side.
For Kellogg, you may want to visit https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pr ... ogram.aspx (Pre-Enrollment Courses) to check your course eligibility to the one-year program. You can also check your eligibility the 1-year program at Johnson at https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/program ... igibility/.
Though you won’t be the first and the last to do a second MBA after the first MBA, you will also have to explain why you need a one-year MBA when you already have a two-year MBA.
You haven’t mentioned your long-term goals, so I won’t be able to comment on that.
You have mentioned 2 ST goals. Generally, consulting is always the number one goal after MBA and consulting firms recruit in a huge number at least from Kellogg. It is also a very high-aimed goal for which you will have to work hard in your program. Having it as a back-up plan is a little unfeasible.
For your first ST goal, you want a Brand Management/Marketing role post-MBA. If you are seeking these roles in CPG (called FMCG in India) firms in the US, being an international, it may be extremely difficult, considering CPGs do not sponsor visas so easily.

As to the other parts of your profile, considering you want to apply for a 1-year program, you would want to highlight your leadership experience and career progression really well. You have also moved roles (may be long back) but don’t forget to talk about it in your application. You have been able to detail your professional achievements and growth very well here. Indeed, Economic Times Young Leader is an achievement, but the AdCom likes to see a more rounded personality, and you will have to talk about your extra-curricular achievements too.
All the best!!

https://ruchipandeconsulting.com/

For more information, write to: info@ruchipandeconsulting.com
For detailed profile evaluation: https://ruchipandeconsulting.com/contact-us/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2020, 03:57

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   [ 519 posts ] 

KELLOGG PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Priyanka1293, Lekoben, Padfoot