Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Please evaulate my profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
raunakmaheshwari wrote:
I have worked on a couple of highly challenging and fascinating telecom projects of international levels in my career so far. That has distinguished the fire within me for working on such projects. I have gained technical knolwedge and acumen and would like to use that for consulting in telecoms. I have an experience of one such project on a small scale and I know for sure that I am interested in it. Apart from that, I am also interested in working for investment firms which invest in technical ventures which needs analysis of technology and its use from business and investment point of view.

What would be a safe score for getting admitted in top 10 business schools.

To address the last question first, there is no GMATscore that will guarantee you acceptance to a top MBA program. However if you are aiming for a top 10 school, I think your chances would improve with a 720+ GMAT.

In terms of good programs for you considering your experience and assuming a higher GMAT, look into Haas, Ross, Stanford, MIT, Darden, MIT, Columbia, and NYU. If you do not retake the GMAT or if it doesn't go up, consider Cornell, Yale, NYU Stern, CMU Tepper, Purdue, Ross, Duke, Anderson, and UNC.

In terms of possible weaknesses, your community service looks a little light on leadership, but it's possible that the leadership is there and I don't see it in the brief description provided. If so, that's good. Another possible weakness, is that you really don't seem to know much about the programs. That can be remedied easily before you apply. WE have a series of blog posts that will help you with school choice. We will shortly turn the series into an ecourse, but in the meantime, please visit this collection of posts. Start with #1 and read the posts backwards.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much and I admit towards my lack of knowledge about the schools. Thanks for your inputs. Can you tell me the key to comparing GPAs with percentages. At Bradford, in MSc Mobile Computing, the school doesn't have ranking system otherwise I woud have got Rank 1. While in undergrad, my grades were low because of some external reasons which I plan to detail in the essays.

In the list of the schools you have mentioned, you didn't mention London Business School. I ask because I am familiar with London and it will be very easy for me to settle their as I had lived their earlier for more than a year. I read about it yesterday and in their positives I found that they do score better than other schools on internationalism of their course. From their profile, it seems that work experience in 3 different countries would work positively for me.

Kindly list other positive aspects of my application (not only for LBS)

Also, if it is not too much of me to seek readymade, can you please tell me about scholarships in business schools and do I have a realistic chance of getting one?

Thanks and regards,

Raunak Maheshwari.
Send PM
Expert Reply
raunakmaheshwari wrote:
Thank you so much and I admit towards my lack of knowledge about the schools. Thanks for your inputs. Can you tell me the key to comparing GPAs with percentages. At Bradford, in MSc Mobile Computing, the school doesn't have ranking system otherwise I woud have got Rank 1. While in undergrad, my grades were low because of some external reasons which I plan to detail in the essays.

In the list of the schools you have mentioned, you didn't mention London Business School. I ask because I am familiar with London and it will be very easy for me to settle their as I had lived their earlier for more than a year. I read about it yesterday and in their positives I found that they do score better than other schools on internationalism of their course. From their profile, it seems that work experience in 3 different countries would work positively for me.

Kindly list other positive aspects of my application (not only for LBS)

Also, if it is not too much of me to seek readymade, can you please tell me about scholarships in business schools and do I have a realistic chance of getting one?

Thanks and regards,

Raunak Maheshwari.

There are a couple of reputable services that will "translate" percentages into a US GPA. The ones I know about are WES and ECE. However, unless your target programs ask you to convert the percentage into a GPA, you are better off NOT doing so. The schools are experienced in interpreting international transcripts.

Strengths: Your international exposure will be a strength at all top business schools. Your strong grades in graduate school are a plus. Your patents show innovation and problem solving. You seem to have had diverse experience (government-related, large enterprise, and start-up) with at least some leadership, albeit highly technical.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the inputs Linda. I hope I haven't troubled you too much.
Send PM
Expert Reply
raunakmaheshwari wrote:
Thanks a lot for the inputs Linda. I hope I haven't troubled you too much.

Not at all.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Linda,

Will it possible for you to comment on London Business School vis a vis my profile. I have researched schools and found that LBS has much more international classroom and both the areas, consulting and finance are its strengths.

Thanks and regards,

Raunak Maheshwari
Send PM
Expert Reply
raunakmaheshwari wrote:
Hello Linda,

Will it possible for you to comment on London Business School vis a vis my profile. I have researched schools and found that LBS has much more international classroom and both the areas, consulting and finance are its strengths.

Thanks and regards,

Raunak Maheshwari

Raunak,

I believe LBS is a bit of a stretch, but you certainly have a chance and should apply.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
Raunak,

I believe LBS is a bit of a stretch, but you certainly have a chance and should apply.

Best,
Linda

Can you tell me why is LBS a stretch for my profile and is there a way to improve it?

BTW, currently I am having two full time jobs, working as a Network consultant for a recent startup company and working as a relationship manager with a NGO working for Orphans.
Send PM
Expert Reply
raunakmaheshwari wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Raunak,

Best,
Linda

Can you tell me why is LBS a stretch for my profile and is there a way to improve it?

BTW, currently I am having two full time jobs, working as a Network consultant for a recent startup company and working as a relationship manager with a NGO working for Orphans.

Two reasons:

1. Your work is highly technical. While the start-up and NGO probably are giving you far more leadership and management exposure than is reflected in your earlier positions, your main jobs do not appear to have given you much general business and management experience. I could be wrong (which would be good for you), but that is how it appeared from the brief descriptions you provided.
2. Your 700 GMAT is average and LBS and probably low for Indian IT guys. I don't have a good source for that gut feeling, but that is my gut feeling.

At the same time, "a little bit of a stretch" implies you need to be realistic and should also apply to other programs. I don't intend to imply that you should apply to LBS.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot