Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Please grade my essay. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Regarding the first essay

Indeed it is getting into the 5 range but make sure you are not overly repetitive- eg in the Intro the word aAmericans is overused. You also do not need to reapeat/paraphrise the whole argument. The second sentence particularly is overly long.

ALso please make sure you do not copy or repeat too much from the prompt eg the first sentence of the first body paragraph. Again, get to the point there and do NOT copy directly from the prompt anywhere, but rather paraphrase. This sentence is copied, for example:

Studies show that, on average Americans spend over a quarter of their leisure time shopping.

I would change that sentence to One such flaw is the mistaken causal relationship between how much time Americans spend shopping and their productivity etc etc

Hope that helps a bit.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would say this is in the 4 range. There are some obvious typos ("he" instead of "the") that will cause you point reduction. Just be sure to minimize careless/unnecessary mistakes. Hope this helps.
-Brian

rishimehtani wrote:
Hi Brian,

Can you please grade my passage?

This is my first. I want to get an idea how to proceed further.

It is attached underneath.

Thanks

RIshi

Argument
------------------------------
The following appeared in a memorandum from the business department of the Apogee Company: "When the Apogee Company had all its operations in one location,it was more profitable than it is today. Therefore, the Apogee Company should close down its field offices and conduct all its operations from a single location. Such centralization would improve profitability by cutting costs and helping the company maintain better supervision of all employees." Discuss how well reasoned...etc

Passage
----------------------------

The stated argument misses some important considerations which must be addressed to substantiate the argument. Simply stating a single reason for loss that its numerous field offices and large workforce are resulting in loss to the company, doesn't provide enough evidence. Also, without any facts and figures this argument is not justifiable. There can be other possible reasons which may be acting in loss to the company such as inefficient or surplus workforce, inappropriate selection of location for few field offices, bad high level administration, lack in effective leadership etc.

Certainly there would have been a reason which made the company to decentralize and expand to field or regional offices. Field offices are meant for reaching the customers in their regions for better services and sales. These offices are also important to give a feel of global presence of the company and make a company a multi national company. This certainly adds value to a company. Closing these offices would give an open opportunity and open ground to other competitors to grab a greater consumer base by reaching to the them to their closest, hence, cutting the existing customers of Apogee company. In addition, it would reduce the customer reach, increase the time of services to customer and certainly would make the company from a global player to regional player where the main office is based.

Secondly as mentioned above that one reason for loss can be inefficient and surplus workforce. If workforce recruited is not competent enough to get the business for company or the recruited workforce is more than what is actually required, it would add to the loss of company. Paying greater salaries to such people as compared to sales they are getting for company would act in loss.

Also, another possibility is bad administration or lack of leadership qualities. Even if he company closes its field offices and centralises itself to a single office, lags in high level administration and effective leadership, still would exist. Hence, profitability can't be achieved. Proper guidance and effective leadership are key factors for a company's growth.

Because the argument fails to address various possible key causes as mentioned above, it is not sound or persuasive. The company rather should look for loopholes within the company and adopt some kind of tracking system for sales made by an employee. It would have been more effective and convincing if argument would have addressed the above mentioned points rather than solely going for a single cause.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts