GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please help!! Guidance and comments required

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Posts: 98
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.4
Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 11:45
Hey guys,

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I am targeting US B-schools and ISB (India) for 2019 intake. Can you guys please evaluate my profile and share your comments? Please be as blatant as possible.

Can you guys suggest a few schools that I should apply to? Stretch, achievable and safe ones.

Profile summary
-------------------------------------------------------
Age: 27
Nationality - Indian

Academics:
Class X - 86%
Class XII - 89%
GMAT - 700 (Q47, V39)
Undergrad GPA: 8.1/10, Computer Science and Engineer


Work Experience - Currently, I've 4 years of work experience in IT. I have played the role of an Application Developer, Tester and Functional Consultant. I have worked in Banking (Credit Cards),

Retail (Apparel) and Energy & Resources (Steel) domain and have gathered relevant business knowledge of the same. I have taken up a few strategic roles during this tenure and received awards for

the same.

Extra curricular activities:
1) During college, I was the member of the core group, which successfully managed to pull the sponsors for our college Annual Fest. Although, it sounds pretty odd, our college did not have any

initiatives for fests etc. until we pitched in and showed the management that why an "Off-week" is required.
2) Member of the college and school soccer teams. Won a few tournaments.
3) College Representative of the Training and Placement Office. Interacted with company representatives during recruitments.
4) School representative for inter-school fests.
5) Member of my company's community club.

Career Goals - I had initially joined the company to gain experience to get into a proper MBA/MS(management) program abroad. And now I think it is time to work towards that. I have not fixed on any particular destination as such but i am slightly biased towards US b-schools and ISB. I found management/strategy counsulting specialisation somewhat to my liking after reading about it. I'd definitely like to make a transition from my current role in a service based industry into a full-fledged consulting/strategy role. I haven't decided on the industry, but I see myself involved in a consultant role. I agree that during the course of one's MBA, the focus can shift, but if everything goes as per the plan, this is where I see myself after 5 years. We, as IT professionals, definitely do informal consulting, but our clients always takes it with a pinch of salt. This is one restriction I want to break.


Please let me know in case any additional information is required from my end.
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4273
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 12:00
1
Have you made a shortlist of the schools that interest you? I would be VERY nervous with a 700. If you got the same score twice, I could, at the risk of aggravating you, say that you did not work on it enough. How are you doing on the practice scores? The good folks at the GMAT forums would be happy to help you.

But at a 700, I would not be very sure of anything in the top 20-25 programs.
_________________
ARLee Consulting
User avatar
G
Status:
MBA Admissions & Career Coaching by INSEAD alumnus and former Samsung Head of HR. Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE

Affiliations:
INSEAD MBA 11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Posts: 231
Location: Spain
Reviews on GMAT Club:
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 19:37
Hi roykabir772,

thank you very much for sharing your profile.

As I'm sure you're aware of, you come from an over-represented background, and the India-IT applicant pool is extremely competitive.

Any school you might apply to will receive lots of candidates with your same profile.

So in order to gain admission, it will come down to finding ways to set you apart from the rest of applicants in your pool.

Your 700 GMAT will not help you do so. If possible, I would recommend you to retake it and target +730.

The best chance you have is by having outstanding resume, LoRs and essays with amazing stories.

I would recommend you as well to give it more thought to your career goals as right now they're sort of vague. This is includes your desired location immediately post-MBA. This will help you to narrow down the list of target schools.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex
_________________
Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D (with experience as Admissions Interviewer)
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach - HR Executive Director

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Check out our REVIEWS on GMAT Club here

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Posts: 98
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.4
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 05:11
Hi alexruizlee,

Thanks for your quick response.

I appeared for GMAT twice and scored 700 both times. Once Q47 and V39 and once Q49 and V37. I have plans to appear one more time but right now I was thinking of applying to a few colleges in the early rounds. Post MBA my desired location is US only.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Kabir
Admission Consultant
User avatar
G
Status: Application Consultant
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 283
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 11:25
roykabir772 wrote:
Hey guys,

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I am targeting US B-schools and ISB (India) for 2019 intake. Can you guys please evaluate my profile and share your comments? Please be as blatant as possible.

Can you guys suggest a few schools that I should apply to? Stretch, achievable and safe ones.

Profile summary
-------------------------------------------------------
Age: 27
Nationality - Indian

Academics:
Class X - 86%
Class XII - 89%
GMAT - 700 (Q47, V39)
Undergrad GPA: 8.1/10, Computer Science and Engineer


Work Experience - Currently, I've 4 years of work experience in IT. I have played the role of an Application Developer, Tester and Functional Consultant. I have worked in Banking (Credit Cards),

Retail (Apparel) and Energy & Resources (Steel) domain and have gathered relevant business knowledge of the same. I have taken up a few strategic roles during this tenure and received awards for

the same.

Extra curricular activities:
1) During college, I was the member of the core group, which successfully managed to pull the sponsors for our college Annual Fest. Although, it sounds pretty odd, our college did not have any

initiatives for fests etc. until we pitched in and showed the management that why an "Off-week" is required.
2) Member of the college and school soccer teams. Won a few tournaments.
3) College Representative of the Training and Placement Office. Interacted with company representatives during recruitments.
4) School representative for inter-school fests.
5) Member of my company's community club.

Career Goals - I had initially joined the company to gain experience to get into a proper MBA/MS(management) program abroad. And now I think it is time to work towards that. I have not fixed on any particular destination as such but i am slightly biased towards US b-schools and ISB. I found management/strategy counsulting specialisation somewhat to my liking after reading about it. I'd definitely like to make a transition from my current role in a service based industry into a full-fledged consulting/strategy role. I haven't decided on the industry, but I see myself involved in a consultant role. I agree that during the course of one's MBA, the focus can shift, but if everything goes as per the plan, this is where I see myself after 5 years. We, as IT professionals, definitely do informal consulting, but our clients always takes it with a pinch of salt. This is one restriction I want to break.


Please let me know in case any additional information is required from my end.


Hey roykabir772,
You have some great intiatives. Your profile needs a bit of building though, and this is the right time for you to start.

I see most of your details. Happy to answer your questions over the phone.
_________________
Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.


The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Posts: 98
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.4
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 13:31
souvik101990 wrote:
Have you made a shortlist of the schools that interest you? I would be VERY nervous with a 700. If you got the same score twice, I could, at the risk of aggravating you, say that you did not work on it enough. How are you doing on the practice scores? The good folks at the GMAT forums would be happy to help you.

But at a 700, I would not be very sure of anything in the top 20-25 programs.


When I started my GMAT journey (January, 2017), I was aiming for Booth and Tuck but unfortunately I have neither an amazing profile nor an amazing score to even guarantee that the adcoms will take a thorough look at my profile.
For now, I am planning to apply in the early rounds with the 700 and based on my two week research I am thinking of taking a shot at Emory, Kelley or Carlson. I understand that even these are competitive bets but I am willing to take a shot before appearing for GMAT again. In case, I don't get an interview or admit I would at least get a taste of the admission cycle.

And you didn't aggravate me. :) You're correct indeed. I was just trying to push my quant score to get a 720-730 overall. In the meantime, I lost the verbal touch. Anyway, I haven't been preparing for gmat for the last one month. Earlier, I took veritas and GMAT prep mocks and my scores hovered around 680-710.


Appreciate your help.
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4273
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 19:21
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Posts: 98
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.4
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 02:16
souvik101990 wrote:
Thanks for being open. Emory, Carlson and Kelley are all good bets. I’d recommend following GMATNinja on the verbal forums and maybe try EMPOWERgmat? They helped me quite a bit to improve my own verbal score so it might end up helping you too.

Posted from my mobile device

I have been following @gmatninja's posts as well as videos and they are of great help indeed. I'll look into empowergmat resources.

Any other schools you would suggest me to take into consideration for the early rounds?

As usual, thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Kabir
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4273
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 05:04
roykabir772 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Thanks for being open. Emory, Carlson and Kelley are all good bets. I’d recommend following GMATNinja on the verbal forums and maybe try EMPOWERgmat? They helped me quite a bit to improve my own verbal score so it might end up helping you too.

Posted from my mobile device

I have been following @gmatninja's posts as well as videos and they are of great help indeed. I'll look into empowergmat resources.

Any other schools you would suggest me to take into consideration for the early rounds?

As usual, thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Kabir


I would also look at Foster. It is one of the best schools if you want to get into Tech and it has a great location, small class size and the admissions team really wants to get to know you. I would actually place Foster over all the schools that you have listed.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Posts: 98
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.4
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 09:26
souvik101990 wrote:
roykabir772 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Thanks for being open. Emory, Carlson and Kelley are all good bets. I’d recommend following GMATNinja on the verbal forums and maybe try EMPOWERgmat? They helped me quite a bit to improve my own verbal score so it might end up helping you too.

Posted from my mobile device

I have been following @gmatninja's posts as well as videos and they are of great help indeed. I'll look into empowergmat resources.

Any other schools you would suggest me to take into consideration for the early rounds?

As usual, thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Kabir


I would also look at Foster. It is one of the best schools if you want to get into Tech and it has a great location, small class size and the admissions team really wants to get to know you. I would actually place Foster over all the schools that you have listed.

I thought Foster has become more competitive in the last few years and hence it might be more difficult to stand out as compared to the others.
I will research a bit more though. The location is a huge plus in addition to the Tech industry.

Thanks man.

Cheers,
Kabir
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4273
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 09:32
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Posts: 98
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.4
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 09:44
souvik101990 wrote:
I know someone who got into Foster with a 680 in R2. She is an Indian-American with a US undergrad and 4 years of work-ex in India. So I am guessing Foster is probably more lenient?

Sweet. Definitely worth a shot it seems. If needed, I'll reach out to you for help once I am done researching Foster. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Kabir
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please help!! Guidance and comments required   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2018, 09:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Please help!! Guidance and comments required

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne