Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [16]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 537 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Send PM
Re: Points L, M, and, N have xy-coordinates (2,0), (8,12), and [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Stiv wrote:
Points L, M, and, N have xy-coordinates (2,0), (8,12), and (14,0), respectively. Points P, Q, and R have xy-coordinates (6,0), (8,4), and (10,0), respectively. What fraction of the area of the triangle LMN is the area of the triangle PQR?

A. \(\frac{1}{9}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{8}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{6}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{5}\)
E. \(\frac{1}{3}\)

Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Triangles.png

The area of triangle LMN (red) is 1/2*base*height=1/2*12*12=72;
The area of triangle PQR (blue) is 1/2*base*height=1/2*4*4=8;

The area of PQR is 8/72=1/9 of the area of triangle LMN.

Answer: A.

Else you can notice that triangles LMN and PQR are similar. Now, in two similar triangles, the ratio of their areas is the square of the ratio of their sides, therefore since the ratio of the sides is 4/12=1/3 then the ratio of the areas is (1/3)^2=1/9.

Hope it's clear.

Hi,
I think I won't try immediately to draw diagram in real exam. So it would be very helpful if you give formula to find area from the points if there is any. Please help me to solve the problem without drawing anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 537 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
If you didn't want to draw, you could notice that both triangles have bases that run along the x-axis. The first triangle has a base that runs from (2,0) to (14,0) and a vertex at (8,12), so that's a base of 12 and a height of 12. The second triangle has a base that runs from (6,0) to (10,0) and a vertex at (8,4), so that's a base of 4 and a height of 4. The second triangle is 1/3 as big in both directions, so it will have 1/9 the area of the first one. (1/3 * 1/3)

Having said all that, most people would probably do best to draw a picture. It doesn't have to be pretty and it should only take a few seconds to make. If it ensures that you visualize the problem correctly, then it's worth it. The step you can skip is actually calculating the areas. You only need to know PQR's area relative to LMN; you don't have to know the actual values.

Thank you very much. The explanation is helpful.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is a problem from GMATPrep that does not include the first two sentences posted by the original poster, and instead has an image in the coordinate plane. Please see the attached image and use that to solve this problem as opposed to modifying the original problem statement.

Cheers,
Dabral
Attachments

Test1-Q05-PS01.png
Test1-Q05-PS01.png [ 121.54 KiB | Viewed 11111 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Raihanuddin wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Stiv wrote:
Points L, M, and, N have xy-coordinates (2,0), (8,12), and (14,0), respectively. Points P, Q, and R have xy-coordinates (6,0), (8,4), and (10,0), respectively. What fraction of the area of the triangle LMN is the area of the triangle PQR?

A. \(\frac{1}{9}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{8}\)
C. \(\frac{1}{6}\)
D. \(\frac{1}{5}\)
E. \(\frac{1}{3}\)

Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Triangles.png

The area of triangle LMN (red) is 1/2*base*height=1/2*12*12=72;
The area of triangle PQR (blue) is 1/2*base*height=1/2*4*4=8;

The area of PQR is 8/72=1/9 of the area of triangle LMN.

Answer: A.

Else you can notice that triangles LMN and PQR are similar. Now, in two similar triangles, the ratio of their areas is the square of the ratio of their sides, therefore since the ratio of the sides is 4/12=1/3 then the ratio of the areas is (1/3)^2=1/9.

Hope it's clear.

Hi,
I think I won't try immediately to draw diagram in real exam. So it would be very helpful if you give formula to find area from the points if there is any. Please help me to solve the problem without drawing anything.

I believe formulae is there but it will the solution time-consuming. Definitely not advisable for a strictly timed exam like GMAT
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts