Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [31]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618877 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Re: Policy analyst: Most government agencies become less effective over ti [#permalink]
Kudos
ykaiim wrote:
IMO B. The first is a premise which is the analyst refuts at the end. Second BF is given evidence for that position.

Please post the OA.

IMO D,

IMO B is wrong because analyst is not arguing against the premise that most government agencies become less effective overtime. He is arguing that although they become ineffective, they can not be eliminated and renewed, since some government agencies are crucial for national security. Thus, he still thinks that most government agencies are less effective overtime, but he thinks, unfortunately, they can not be eliminated and recreated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Policy analyst: Most government agencies become less effective over ti [#permalink]
Guys, help me out with this...if the correct OA is D, it states that the policy analyst accepts the statment in the first bold faced statement. But if we see tha passage, nowhere it's implied that the analyst is accepting the first statment. He/she is just stating the facts what ppl believe. Shouldnt B win here??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
krishnasty wrote:
Guys, help me out with this...if the correct OA is D, it states that the policy analyst accepts the statment in the first bold faced statement. But if we see tha passage, nowhere it's implied that the analyst is accepting the first statment. He/she is just stating the facts what ppl believe. Shouldnt B win here??

B) states that the first is a premise that analyst accepts but argues against. First of all this also says that analyst accepts the premise. Secondly, Analyst doesn't argue against the first boldface. Nowhere it says that Government Agencies don't become left effective over time.
Experts form an opinion (agencies should be eliminated and created anew...) on basis of this premise and analyst argues against that opinion. (Not the premise)
I hope its clear...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Bookmarks
krishnasty wrote:

D. The first is a generalization that the policy analyst accepts as accurate and is used as the basis for an
opinion that the analyst rejects
; the second is a consideration used to defend the analyst's position.

It is nowhere mentioned that the policy analyst accepts the first sentence as accurate. However, the whole passage is nothing but series of statements made by the analyst. He has never mentioned that that first point is inaccurate/invalid etc. Nonetheless, this is implicit from the passage as a whole. Even in the second bold phrase, the analyst attacks the suggestion made by other recommendations, but doesn't go against the first bold phrase.

The red bold phrase in the option D is the key to the correct answer. With the help of first statement, analyst explained more about what others feel about the agencies (about shutting them down). and the analyst rejects this by saying 'However, this is impractical'. If you found this, you're almost down to the correct answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [3]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Mega2010 wrote:
Policy analyst: Most government agencies become less effective over time. Some experts go so far as to recommend that every agency be eliminated after 10 years and created anew by replacing all of its existing personnel and revamping its bureaucratic structure. However, this policy would be impractical since certain government agencies perform vital functions, such as protecting national security, and therefore cannot afford even temporary upheaval.

In the policy analyst's argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
(A)The first is evidence offered in support of an opinion that the policy analyst rejects; the second offers
information that contradicts that evidence.
(B)The first is a premise that the policy analyst accepts but argues against; the second offers evidence that
supports the analyst's position.
(C)The first is a position that the policy analyst argues against; the second is the position that the analyst
defends.
(D)The first is a generalization that the policy analyst accepts as accurate and is used as the basis for an
opinion that the analyst rejects; the second is a consideration used to defend the analyst's position.
(E)The first is a generalization that the policy analyst accepts as accurate and is used as the basis for the
analyst's position; the second offers another consideration used to defend that position.

Has to be (D) but let me tell you this is a tough question boy.
The second bold is clearly the premise. Now, the key in this question is to recognize what is the analyst arguing against. It is kinda like those describe the argument type of questions, but lets not get confused by those. So going back to my point, we need to know that this a used as support for something that is argued against. We are not arguing the fact that most government agencies become less effective, we are arguing against the recommendation to fire all these poor guys and replace them every certain time.

So keep that in mind folks, and you'll be ok.
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
It's D for sure. Analyst acknowledges the information upon which a hypothesis is suggested which analyst rejects. Then he offers a piece of information to support his claim. ->>> D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
+1 D.

The first is a generalization that the policy analyst accepts as accurate and is used as the basis for an opinion that the analyst rejects; the second is a consideration used to defend the analyst's position.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Below argument written by policy analyst. Here is my analysis if argument.

Most government agencies become less effective over time.: A general truth on which policy analyst is agreed with.

Some experts ( New character) go so far as to recommend that every agency be eliminated after 10 years and created anew by replacing all of its existing personnel and revamping its bureaucratic structure.: A recommendation by some experts.

However (a contrast marker) , this policy would be impractical:- conclusion by policy analyst.
since ( reason marker) certain government agencies perform vital functions, such as protecting national security, and therefore cannot afford even temporary upheaval.: explanation for conclusion of policy analyst.

Going with above, D is answer.

Let me know if something wrong with my elucidation.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts