Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [61]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [125]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [34]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [30]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Concept: Although, a dependent clause(DC) marker, has to start a DC ?! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
A) Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be
(B) Polio, although eradicated in the United States, it still continues elsewhere and can be
(C) Although still continuing elsewhere, polio has been eradicated in the United States and could be
(D) Although having been eradicated in the United States, polio still continues elsewhere and is capable of being
(E) Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be

Limiting just to the point whether ‘although’, a subordinate conjunction has to be necessarily be followed by a subject and verb or it could be reduced to a modifier:

I feel that it is largely dependent upon the position of where the ‘although’ is used.

1. If it is placed in the beginning of the sentence, then ‘although’ can be followed by either a clause or a modifier.

Example C, D and E belong to this category; All the three of them are correct as far as the use of ‘although’ is concerned

2. If 'although' is placed in the middle of a sentence, then it can only be a modifier and never a clause
Example A and B belong to this category. While A is wrong, B is ok as far as the use of ‘although’ is concerned.

3. If the ‘although’ is placed in the end portion, then it can only be a clause and never a modifier.

Ex: (imaginary); polio continues elsewhere and could be brought into the country by visitors, although it was eradicated in the United States

So we must look for other errors in the choices.

I think it is best to follow the leader RON's observations on this theme in his cited article:

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 31750.html
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues el [#permalink]
Kudos
I have chosen E for this question:

A. This sentence has Polio and "it" next to each other. This makes no sense because the pronoun "it" refers to Polio. Also, I felt the modifier "although it is..." is incorrect because it is a clause modifying the noun Polio.

B. Same as A - Polio and it are next to each other.

C. This answer choice is really confusing. It seems to suggest that Polio has been eradicated from the US, but it could also be brought into the US by visitors. The sequencing is really messed up here. It would be much better to say that Polio still continues elsewhere and could be brought into the US by visitors.

D. I couldn't find anything grammatically wrong with this, but it seems wordy. The words "having been" and "being" seem to make this answer more complicated than it should be.

E. This is the correct answer. The sentence starts with a subordinate clause, uses Polio as the subject of the sentence and then parallels the 2 claims about Polio.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [5]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues el [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A detailed analysis of Option (C).

Although still continuing elsewhere, polio has been
eradicated in the United States and could be...

Original Idea : Although X,Y Z

Where X= Polio has been eradicated
Y= it still continues elsewhere
Z= it could be brought by visitors into USA.

Idea has been distorted in (C) , let us see how:

Distorted Idea: Although Y,X Z

Sentence looses contrast and says that "Knowing polio exits elsewhere still it is eradicated in USA and could be brought".

However, Original says that "Knowing that polio has been eradicated in USA still it exists elsewhere and could be brought".

Hope it helps

Rgds,
TGC!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Hello ,

I am still not clear with the answer choice B.
How do i know the pronoun is redundant ? and when should I actually use a pronoun in a sentence.

Thanks
Vin.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [4]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
vmgmat wrote:
Hello ,

I am still not clear with the answer choice B.
How do i know the pronoun is redundant ? and when should I actually use a pronoun in a sentence.

Thanks
Vin.

Hi Vin,

(B). Polio, although eradicated in the United States, it still continues elsewhere and can be

Remove the non-essential modifier enclosed by commas "although eradicated in the United States, and watch
if the sentence makes sense.

Polio it still continues

So when you already have mentioned POLIO what is the need of IT which also refers to POLIO.

Hope that helps

Rgds,
TGC!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Sir/Ma'am,
Can you please help me with this question? Because my understanding was that Although requires a subject+verb which I could see only in A. Could you please explain me the fault while decoding this question?
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [2]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
dontmesswithme wrote:
Sir/Ma'am,
Can you please help me with this question? Because my understanding was that Although requires a subject+verb which I could see only in A. Could you please explain me the fault while decoding this question?

Well Verbal in GMAT is more of reasoning than just using grammar rules, we will go by meaning+some rules to justify answer.

Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be brought into the country by visitors.

(A) Polio, although it is eradicated in the United States, it continues elsewhere and is able to be (Here if you see Polio the subject is written alone which has to be parallel to both - although it is eradicated.........states. and - it continues......visitors.
When we put Polio in front of each clause. 1) Polio, although it is eradicated.........states. and - 2) Polio, it continues......visitors.
You will find the ambiguity in the meaning the author intention is not clearly stated if we write it like this. So A can't be the answer. Plus although..... States clause is acting like a non essential modifier which is not the case. So it can't be correct.

(B) Polio, although eradicated in the United States, it still continues elsewhere and can be(Similar to A, Eliminate it)

(C) Although still continuing elsewhere, polio has been eradicated in the United States and could be(Although still continuing elsewhere is a non essential modifier here due to it being separated by comma from rest sentence, while it's necessary to confide the whole meaning the author intends to state (Incorrect)

(D) Although having been eradicated in the United States, polio still continues elsewhere and is capable of being (still continues elsewhere and is capable of are put into parallelism, which can be written as - polio still continues elsewhere , Polio is capable of being brought into the country by visitors.. Wait. Polio is capable of being brought? No sense it makes (Incorrect)

(E) Although eradicated in the United States, polio continues elsewhere and could be(this corrects parallelism issue Polio continues elsewhere , polio could be brought into the country by visitors. Yes Polio could be brought by others, it's not capable itself) (Correct).

Answering to your question, although is a conjunction which is used to connect clauses or sentences, but the use of although in A option is unambiguous, we have to find the meaning behind the sentence which author intends to express irrespective of it dejecting grammar rules. The answer has to be best to the reasoning not to the grammar.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM