It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 19:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont's critics complain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont's critics complain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2011, 17:10
How Come a is wrong? If the unemployment is bigger than it obviously can't be true! But how can they state something that is obviously written otherwise in the text?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [2], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2011, 18:57
This post received
KUDOS
patrickwestoo wrote:
How Come a is wrong? If the unemployment is bigger than it obviously can't be true! But how can they state something that is obviously written otherwise in the text?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Even if A is assumed to be right, it does not affect the paycheck. Paycheck is only influenced by those who are employed.. therefore, we are looking for scenarios which would increase or decrease the average salary. Option A will have no bearing on the average salary. If the question had asked for employment rate, then A would have mattered.

OptimusPrimea1 wrote:
REACTIVATING THE POST THREAD!!!

Anyone can the answer be C..Explanations please!!!

The conclusion says "throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been
getting steadily bigger".
To weaken this, we need to show that the net pay for all those who employed has come down. As per C, the average pay for the new jobs created is lesser than the average pay for the jobs that were eliminated; this fits our bill!

Kudos [?]: 44 [2], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 36

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2011, 21:28
On the first scan of the options, I couldn't find any that fit the answer. Then I went back to the question and found that it looked for something that would weaken the conclusion and the conclusion is not about employment statistics, but average paycheck. Bingo!

Quote:
The conclusion says "throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been
getting steadily bigger".
To weaken this, we need to show that the net pay for all those who employed has come down. As per C, the average pay for the new jobs created is lesser than the average pay for the jobs that were eliminated; this fits our bill!

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Re: Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2011, 02:43
IMO c
what OA?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2011, 04:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
C.
WIth the reasoning in C, higher paying jobs are lost and lower paying jobs are created.
In the end, the average pay will fall

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2011, 03:30
I side with C as well. But C does not address the number of high paying jobs that were actually eliminated as against the number of new jobs that have been added. Therefore, although C seems to be the best available, it does not seem complete.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 47

Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2011, 03:46
DexDee wrote:
I side with C as well. But C does not address the number of high paying jobs that were actually eliminated as against the number of new jobs that have been added. Therefore, although C seems to be the best available, it does not seem complete.

The average incliudes number as well.

Straight C.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 47

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2011, 04:56
^ We are talking about the overall average here. The averages described in the answer choices are individual averages of jobs lost and jobs gained. This is not the same as the net average?

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [4], given: 47

Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2011, 05:29
This post received
KUDOS
The issue around here is the average paycheck. The argument says that the average pay has been increasing since the mayor took charge.

The option C states that the overall average pay has been brought down by eliminating workers with high average pay. So, the overall average is being reduced. The new workers' average pay is less than the pay of the average pay of the eliminated jobs. So this clearly weakens the argument by saying that the average paychecks has actually decreased overall and only the average pay of the new employees whose salary is lesser than the average salary of the eliminated fellows is growing since the mayor took charge.

Hope it clarifies

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Kudos [?]: 63 [4], given: 47

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 722 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2011, 00:42
A. The unemployment rate in the city is higher today than it was when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Each year during Mayor Delmont’s tenure, the average pay for jobs that were eliminated has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide.

I confused between A and C. I will choose C. However, anyone can tell me why A wrong?

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 722 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 32

Schools: NUS
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2011, 21:29
tuanquang269 wrote:
A. The unemployment rate in the city is higher today than it was when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Each year during Mayor Delmont’s tenure, the average pay for jobs that were eliminated has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide.

I confused between A and C. I will choose C. However, anyone can tell me why A wrong?

The conclusion is that in "Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger"
option A states that The Unemployment rate has increased but the overall average pay may increase or decrease
So C shud be the answer

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 32

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants

Kudos [?]: 361 [0], given: 52

Schools: Columbia university

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2011, 12:25
i go with B! whats the OA?

Sky is the limit

Kudos [?]: 361 [0], given: 52

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2011, 22:15
c

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 15

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2012, 10:51
Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont’s leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?

A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure.
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.

What Critics say jobs were lost under Delmont’s leadership.
FactNot only more jobs were created, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office.
Conclusion based on the fact provided, the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger. Mayor was the reason behind that increase.
Now we have to strengthen this argument.Let’s have a look at the options :

A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure.--->This argument states that the average pay check for jobs created in the city during the past 3 years was higher than the avg paychek for jobs created in the city in Mayor’s tenure. This statement only provides an evidence that 3 years before Mayor Delmont was in office, and since then the average pay for jobs created in the city was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city.So Mayor must have took some steps to create new jobs and an increase in the average pay for the new jobs. Thus this is the most logical statement that can help strengthen the above argument.
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office. -->This statement weakens the conclusion.
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again. -->weakens the conclusion.
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide. --> Out of scope.
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city. -->The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city. It is talking in present tense. But in argument there has been no mention whether the author is talking about present. Instead it is talking in past tense.

Thus A is the clear answer.

Give me kudos if u like my post..... :beer

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2013, 12:07
The right answer is D.
Analysis: new jobs are more than eliminated jobs; new jobs' paychecks are higher than avergae pay citywide. To strengthen the argument of paychecks getting steadily bigger: D. eliminated jobs' pay were only equal to average pay citywide
A is not accurate because of the "three year" contradicts the point of steadily.
B Weakens the argument
C have no points
E have no points

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 172

GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2014, 01:32
Please edit the OA for this question. IMO D is correct.

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 172

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2014, 08:06
IMO- " D"............
If the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office, the average paycheck will get steadily bigger.

D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide..... since the average pay for jobs eliminated is equal to the average of jobs city wide.... then the new jobs which have a higher average pay than the jobs citywide, will definitely increase the city average of pay packet.........NO DOUBT...... its a question of WEIGHTED AVERAGE......

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2014, 16:11
Hi,

Sure OA is D here!

C weaken the argument. D only strenghten .

Hope it helps

Think outside the box

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8486 [3], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2014, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fanatico wrote:
Political Advertisement:
Mayor Delmont’s critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont’s leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont’s tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?
A. The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont’s tenure.
B. Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.
C. Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.
D. The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont’s tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.
E. The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.

idinuv wrote:
Dear Mike,
Request you to kindly provide input on the following CR question.

Dear idinuv,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, from what I can tell, when fanatico posted this question, he posted the wrong answer as the OA. I found what I believe is the source online, and the source says OA = (D), which is eminently reasonable. For some reason, this question is all over the web with the wrong answer, and of course, that stirs up all sorts of discussion --- "how is it that (C) strengthens the argument?" Well, it doesn't, because (D) is the answer.

The advertisement tells us that, during Delmont's tenure, average pay in the city has been "getting steadily bigger." We want to strengthen that.
Here's my analysis of the answer choices:
Well, hmmm. This is consistent with the argument certainly, but not necessarily a strengthener. Suppose the average pay of the new jobs over the past six years, consecutively, was: $40K, $35K, $30K, $70K, $65K, $60K. Then, the most recent three years definitely have a higher average than the first three years, but this pattern does not indicate "getting steadily bigger" each year. This statement could be a strengthener, but it doesn't have to be. This is not correct.

Again, this would be consistent with the claim: the fact that we started so low does suggest there's nowhere to go but up. BUT, does it mean that average pay citywide steadily increased in each of Delmont's six years in office? Maybe, maybe not. This statement also could be a strengthener, but it doesn't have to be. This is not correct.

If Delmont added some high paying jobs, and then eliminated those same high paying jobs, that would cause the average to go up, and then down. This would weaken the argument: in fact, it's a very cogent weakener. BUT, we are looking for a strengthener. This is incorrect.

The jobs added were above this average, and so if the jobs eliminated were, roughly, equal to this average, then what is added is always higher than what is subtracted, and the average increases steadily. This is correct.

We don't care about the suburbs. That's irrelevant. This is incorrect.

That's why (D) has to be the answer, and it is the OA of the source.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8486 [3], given: 102

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2014, 15:50
Pqhai would you mind solving this question? Especially stuck between B and D

Thanks
Cheers
J :)

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Re: Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont's critics complain   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2014, 15:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 91 posts ] 

Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont's critics complain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap