It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Political Analyst: After the Soviet Union collapsed, some hoped that f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Political Analyst: After the Soviet Union collapsed, some hoped that f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2013, 16:01
Hello,

Let us analyze you statement "IMHO, it only undermines past proposals and not the alternative plans" part by part. Let us first see whether the statement in red in undermining past proposals.

Note the words "the government proposes". This implies that the government is proposing or these plans. However, the writer suggests that these plans that are being currently proposed have been tried before and failed at that time. By giving this reference to the past, the writer is undermining the present proposal of the government. Hence, the past proposals are not being undermined. Instead the present proposals are being undermined by using the examples from past.

This proposal is different when compared to the analyst's proposals and hence can be said to be an alternative proposal too.

Hope this clears your doubts. Let me know in case of any issues/concerns.

targetgmatchotu wrote:
Only one doubt in (B).However, it is the best option.

These are positive measures, but they have been tried before, to little avail. A better plan to reverse the population decline is to improve the country's governance in both the public and the private sphere.

How the portion in red undermines the alternative to analyst's proposal.

IMHO, it only undermines past proposals and not the alternative plans.

Plz Advice !!!

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 3

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 971 [0], given: 321

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Political Analyst: After the Soviet Union collapsed, some hoped that f [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2013, 01:22

Kudos [?]: 971 [0], given: 321

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 24

WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2013, 07:48
B is the perfect choice.

Argument: Analyst's first plan to encourage Russian population was tried but failed to prove effective(This weakens an alternative to the analyst's main proposal - 1st boldface statement). He proposes a better plan to improve country's governance(This is the main point of the analyst). He then goes on explaining his proposal.(This is a premise that supports the analyst's main claim - 2nd boldface statement)

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Pay attention to every detail"

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 24

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16994 [0], given: 1962

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 00:03
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning: Boldface Revision Project.

Political Analyst: After the Soviet Union collapsed, some hoped that freedom would encourage Russians to multiply, but as a result of dislocation and insecurity, the Russian population continues to dwindle at the rate of 700,000 a year. The government proposes to address the problem with a wide range of financial incentives, along with investments in improved health care, road safety and the like. These are positive measures, but they have been tried before, to little avail. A better plan to reverse the population decline is to improve the country’s governance in both the public and the private sphere. If a greater part of the population participated in important decisions and shared in the country’s wealth, then larger families would result. In addition, if corruption and greed among the elite were curbed, public health would improve and average life expectancy would increase.

The two boldfaced statements serve what function in the argument above?

A. The first is the main point of the analyst’s argument; the second is a premise that supports the first.

B. The first is a premise that undermines an alternative to the analyst’s proposal; the second is a premise that supports the analyst’s main claim.

C. The first is a premise that contradicts the main point made by the analyst; the second is the main point of the argument.

D. The first is a premise that supports a proposal; the second is that proposal.

E. The first is a conclusion that the argument endorses; the second is a premise that opposes that conclusion.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16994 [0], given: 1962

Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 12:20
I think the right answer is B. Wait for OA.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 537

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16994 [1], given: 1962

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The analyst recounts a proposal by the Russian government to increase the
Russian population. The analyst then dismisses that proposal and makes a
counterproposal that he or she then supports with hypothetical scenarios. The
claim that the counterproposal (to try good governance) is preferable is the
conclusion of the argument.

(A) This choice is incorrect. The first boldface is a fact that indicates the
government plan has failed before; it is not the conclusion of the argument.
However, the second is a premise in support of the argument’s proposal.

(B) CORRECT. The first is the fact that the government plan has "been tried
before, to no avail," a fact that undermines the alternative proposal made by the
government. The author's proposal is to improve the country's governance, and
the second boldface supports that plan by showing one way in which better
governance might lead to a population increase.

(C) The first does not contradict the argument’s conclusion that improved
governance will reverse the decline in population. Rather, it undermines the other
proposal presented by the government, which is a claim that the argument does
not support. The second is not the argument’s main point, but an assertion that
supports the conclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better

(D) The first is a premise that the government plan has "been tried before, to an
avail," which weighs against the preceding proposal. The second is not the
proposal that the first directly supports, but an assertion that supports the
conclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better governance
might lead to a population increase.

(E) The first is not a conclusion at all, rather a factual premise that these
measures "have been tried before, to little avail." The second boldface does not
oppose the first boldface, rather it is an assertion that supports the conclusion of
the argument by showing one way in which better governance might lead to a
population increase.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16994 [1], given: 1962

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 05:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1105 [0], given: 884

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2016, 04:41
A) The first is the main point of the analyst's argument; the second is a premise that supports the the first. - Incorrect - The second is not a premise that supports the first.

B) The first is a premise that undermines an alternative to the analyst's proposal; the second is a premise that supports the analyst's main claim. - Correct - The alternative to analyst's proposal is the government's proposal. The first undermines the government's proposal. The second clearly supports the analysts main claim.

C) The first is a premise that contradicts the main point made by the analyst; the second is the main point of the argument. - Incorrect - The first does not contradict the view of the analyst.

D) The first is a premise that supports a proposal; the second is that proposal. - Incorrect - The second is a prediction rather than a proposal.

E) The first is a conclusion that the argument endorses; the second is a premise that opposes that conclusion. - Incorrect - The second does not oppose the first.

Answer: B

Kudos [?]: 1105 [0], given: 884

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 10:03

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 80

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 17:39
souvik101990 wrote:
The analyst recounts a proposal by the Russian government to increase the
Russian population. The analyst then dismisses that proposal and makes a
counterproposal that he or she then supports with hypothetical scenarios. The

(A) This choice is incorrect. The first boldface is a fact that indicates the
government plan has failed before; it is not the conclusion of the argument.
However, the second is a premise in support of the argument’s proposal.

(B) CORRECT. The first is the fact that the government plan has "been tried
before, to no avail," a fact that undermines the alternative proposal made by the
government. The author's proposal is to improve the country's governance, and
the second boldface supports that plan by showing one way in which better

(C) The first does not contradict the argument’s conclusion that improved
governance will reverse the decline in population. Rather, it undermines the other
proposal presented by the government, which is a claim that the argument does
not support. The second is not the argument’s main point, but an assertion that
supports the conclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better

(D) The first is a premise that the government plan has "been tried before, to an
avail," which weighs against the preceding proposal. The second is not the
proposal that the first directly supports, but an assertion that supports the
conclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better governance
might lead to a population increase.

(E) The first is not a conclusion at all, rather a factual premise that these
measures "have been tried before, to little avail." The second boldface does not
oppose the first boldface, rather it is an assertion that supports the conclusion of
the argument by showing one way in which better governance might lead to a
population increase.

Hi , canyou please explain option B - I'm not able to understnad the first part.. As per this option First BF undermines the analyst's alternative plan. What is analyst's alter native plan?
As per me - population is dwindling so there was a plan which did not work , so there was another alternate plan which is supported by 2nd BF and first BF also supports this.
WHere Am i wrong?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 05:59

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 948 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 21:44
The analyst recounts a proposal by the Russian government to increase the Russian population. The analyst then dismisses that proposal and makes a counterproposal that he or she then supports with hypothetical scenarios. The
(A) This choice is incorrect. The first boldface is a fact that indicates the government plan has failed before; it is not the conclusion of the argument. However, the second is a premise in support of the argument’s proposal.
(B) CORRECT. The first is the fact that the government plan has "been tried before, to no avail," a fact that undermines the alternative proposal made by the government. The author's proposal is to improve the country's governance, and the second boldface supports that plan by showing one way in which better governance might lead to a population increase.
(C) The first does not contradict the argument’s conclusion that improved governance will reverse the decline in population. Rather, it undermines the other proposal presented by the government, which is a claim that the argument does not support. The second is not the argument’s main point, but an assertion thatsupports the conclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better
(D) The first is a premise that the government plan has "been tried before, to anavail," which weighs against the preceding proposal. The second is not theproposal that the first directly supports, but an assertion that supports theconclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better governance might lead to a population increase.
(E) The first is not a conclusion at all, rather a factual premise that these measures "have been tried before, to little avail." The second boldface does not oppose the first boldface, rather it is an assertion that supports the conclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better governance might lead to a population increase.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 948 [0], given: 72

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 02:21
Hi Experts, in option B can you explain how it is a premise that undermines the analyst's proposal. It actually undermines the alternative made by the govt.
Also, is a premise = fact?
Thanks

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 06:29
Political Analyst: After the Soviet Union collapsed, some hoped that freedom would encourage Russians to multiply, but as a result of dislocation and insecurity, the Russian population continues to dwindle at the rate of 700,000 a year. The government proposes to address the problem with a wide range of financial incentives, along with investments in improved health care, road safety and the like. These are positive measures, but they have been tried before, to little avail. A better plan to reverse the population decline is to improve the country's governance in both the public and the private sphere. If a greater part of the population participated in important decisions and shared in the country's wealth, then larger families would result. In addition, if corruption and greed among the elite were curbed, public health would improve and average life expectancy would increase.
First Bold:: statement clearly states that strategy/proposal was not effective. we can also identify that this statement is premise
Second Bold: Second statement is also premise and it supports Political analyst main conclusion "A better plan to reverse the population decline is to improve the country's governance in both the public and the private sphere"

A) The first is the main point of the analyst's argument; the second is a premise that supports the the first.
No first is not main point, it is fact.
B) The first is a premise that undermines an alternative to the analyst's proposal; the second is a premise that supports the analyst's main claim.
Looks good in line with analysis above
C) The first is a premise that contradicts the main point made by the analyst; the second is the main point of the argument.
first is premise, however it does not contradict with mail conclusion
D) The first is a premise that supports a proposal; the second is that proposal.
Second statement does not propose any idea
E) The first is a conclusion that the argument endorses; the second is a premise that opposes that conclusion.
Second statement do not oppose

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3292 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 09:22
rakaisraka wrote:
Hi Experts, in option B can you explain how it is a premise that undermines the analyst's proposal. It actually undermines the alternative made by the govt.
Thanks

It seems that you have not read the option properly. The first BF undermines an alternative to the analyst's proposal.

Your second query: A fact can be a premise or just some background information.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 12:50
sayantanc2k wrote:
rakaisraka wrote:
Thanks

It seems that you have not read the option properly. The first BF undermines an alternative to the analyst's proposal.

Hi, what is alternative to analyst's proposal here? As per my understanding, the alternative is the 2nd plan that he suggests so how can BF1 one be undermining it.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 10:19
rakaisraka wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
rakaisraka wrote:
Thanks

Hi, what is alternative to analyst's proposal here? As per my understanding, the alternative is the 2nd plan that he suggests so how can BF1 one be undermining it.

"A better plan to reverse the population decline is to improve the country's governance in both the public and the private sphere.": This is the proposal of the analyst.

The alternative to the analyst's plan is the government's plan: "to address the problem with a wide range of financial incentives, along with investments in improved health care, road safety and the like."

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 23:47
Political Analyst: After the Soviet Union collapsed, some hoped that freedom would encourage Russians to multiply, but as a result of dislocation and insecurity, the Russian population continues to dwindle at the rate of 700,000 a year. The government proposes to address the problem with a wide range of financial incentives, along with investments in improved health care, road safety and the like. <- ALTERNATIVE WHICH CAN COUNTER MAIN CONCLUSION

These are positive measures, but they have been tried before, to little avail. <- Author TRYING TO WEAKEN THE ALTERNATIVE WHICH CAN COUNTER HIS MAIN CONCLUSION

A better plan to reverse the population decline is to improve the country's governance in both the public and the private sphere. MAIN CONCLUSION

If a greater part of the population participated in important decisions and shared in the country's wealth, then larger families would result.<- IN SUPPORT OF AUTHOR"S MAIN CONCLUSION

In addition, if corruption and greed among the elite were curbed, public health would improve and average life expectancy would increase.

Hence B.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 855

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 04:06
Political Analyst: After the Soviet Union collapsed, some hoped that freedom would encourage Russians to multiply, but as a result of dislocation and insecurity, the Russian population continues to dwindle at the rate of 700,000 a year. The government proposes to address the problem with a wide range of financial incentives, along with investments in improved health care, road safety and the like. These are positive measures, but they have been tried before, to little avail. A better plan to reverse the population decline is to improve the country's governance in both the public and the private sphere. If a greater part of the population participated in important decisions and shared in the country's wealth, then larger families would result. In addition, if corruption and greed among the elite were curbed, public health would improve and average life expectancy would increase.

B) The first is a premise that undermines an alternative to the analyst's proposal; the second is a premise that supports the analyst's main claim.

first is premise (a fact whose roots have already tested)
Analyst proposal is alternate to analyst proposal is "financial incentives, along with investments in improved health care, road safety" but these are already tried before to little avail .
the second is a premise that supports the analyst's main claim.
If a greater part of the population participated in important decisions and shared in the country's wealth, then larger families would result.Hence it supports the analyst main claim(reverse the decline in population )

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 10

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1177 [0], given: 414

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 01:43
qtrip wrote:

(A) The first is the main point of the analyst's argument; the second is a premise that supports the the first.

(B) The first is a premise that undermines an alternative to the analyst's proposal; the second is a premise that supports the analyst's main claim.

(C) The first is a premise that contradicts the main point made by the analyst; the second is the main point of the argument.

(D) The first is a premise that supports a proposal; the second is that proposal.

(E) The first is a conclusion that the argument endorses; the second is a premise that opposes that conclusion.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The analyst recounts a proposal by the Russian government to increase the Russian population. The analyst then dismisses that proposal and makes a counterproposal that he or she then supports with hypothetical scenarios. The claim that the counterproposal (to try good governance) is preferable is the conclusion of the argument.

(A) This choice is incorrect. The first boldface is a fact that indicates the government plan has failed before; it is not the conclusion of the argument. However, the second is a premise in support of the argument’s proposal.

(B) CORRECT. The first is the fact that the government plan has "been tried before, to no avail," a fact that undermines the alternative proposal made by the government. The author's proposal is to improve the country's governance, and the second boldface supports that plan by showing one way in which better governance might lead to a population increase.

(C) The first does not contradict the argument’s conclusion that improved governance will reverse the decline in population. Rather, it undermines the other proposal presented by the government, which is a claim that the argument does not support. The second is not the argument’s main point, but an assertion that supports the conclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better governance might lead to a population increase.

(D) The first is a premise that the government plan has "been tried before, to an avail," which weighs against the preceding proposal. The second is not the proposal that the first directly supports, but an assertion that supports the conclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better governance might lead to a population increase.

(E) The first is not a conclusion at all, rather a factual premise that these measures "have been tried before, to little avail." The second boldface does not oppose the first boldface, rather it is an assertion that supports the conclusion of the argument by showing one way in which better governance might lead to a population increase.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1177 [0], given: 414

Re: Political Analyst: After the Soviet Union collapsed, some hoped that f   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2017, 01:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

Political Analyst: After the Soviet Union collapsed, some hoped that f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap