GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 03:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 876
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2006, 11:11
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (02:04) correct 76% (01:54) wrong based on 98 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but further government spending to provide low-income housing is not the cure for homelessness. The most cursory glance at the real-estate section of any major newspaper is enough to show that there is no lack of housing units available to rent. So the frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.

That homelessness is a serious social problem figures in the argument in which one of the following ways?

(A) It suggests an alternative prospective to the one adopted in the argument.
(B) It sets out a problem the argument is designed to resolve.
(C) It is compatible either with accepting the conclusion or with denying it.
(D) It summarizes a position the argument as a whole is directed toward discrediting.
(E) It is required in order to establish the conclusion.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 876
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2006, 12:28
1
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
is D the Answer?


I chose D as well but that's not the OA - with which I am not in 100% agreement with anyways.. Let's c what the other heavy weights feel about it..

This is a 1000 CR que and I have not found any of the answers to be incorrect so far. So the chances of the OA being wrong on this one are really low..but somehow I aint convinced with the OA..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 322
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2006, 12:34
dwivedys wrote:
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
is D the Answer?


I chose D as well but that's not the OA - with which I am not in 100% agreement with anyways.. Let's c what the other heavy weights feel about it..

This is a 1000 CR que and I have not found any of the answers to be incorrect so far. So the chances of the OA being wrong on this one are really low..but somehow I aint convinced with the OA..


ahaan..........So is E the answer? solicit ur response
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2006
Posts: 292
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2006, 12:51
1
Need to read carefully what question is asking us to answer..Here is my attempt....

I have underlined a part in question which should replace 'it' in all choice and then all choices have to make a sense!
With this I narrowed down my choices to B and C. In B argument doesn't resolve the problem

So I am left with C and I really don't understand the meaning of it. But this would be my answer!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but further government spending to provide low-income housing is not the cure for homelessness. The most cursory glance at the real-estate section of any major newspaper is enough to show that there is no lack of housing units available to rent. So the frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.
That homelessness is a serious social problem figures in the argument in which one of the following ways?
(A) It suggests an alternative prospective to the one adopted in the argument.
(B) It sets out a problem the argument is designed to resolve.
(C) It is compatible either with accepting the conclusion or with denying it.
(D) It summarizes a position the argument as a whole is directed toward discrediting.
(E) It is required in order to establish the conclusion
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 543
Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2006, 20:43
A is correct ! (No matter what your official answer says)

The homelessness is a very much social problem when people are poor, jobless and cannot afford a place to call "home".

Homelessness is a supply/demand problem when people can afford to buy a home but there is none for sale.

"Homelessness" as a social problem, suggests an alternative prospective (that it is a social problem) to the one adopted in the argument (which is supply/demand problem).
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 543
Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2006, 22:03
kripalkavi wrote:
Give me C.


LOL ! How about some "logical" explanation, pal ? (assuming you have one !)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 800
Location: Bangalore
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2006, 01:20
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
Give me C.


LOL ! How about some "logical" explanation, pal ? (assuming you have one !)


It seems like you think only you seem to have the logical explanations! Now thats a laugh! How I wish the GMAT would reward us for what we think are the correct answers rather than for 'just' the OAs!!!

Logical explanation? Here you go 'pal':
A says: It suggests an alternative prospective to the one adopted in the argument.

The conclusion is: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.
Is A offering an alternate prospective to this? If it were, then A would be saying: Homelessness is mainly caused by a lack of available housing.
So A is wrong as it does NOT offer an alternate (potential) option (prospective) to what is stated in the argument. The supply - demand theory is really fancy but I'll pass on that, thank you. LOL!

C says:It is compatible either with accepting the conclusion or with denying it.

Accept the conclusion: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.
Deny the conclusion: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is NOT wrong

Is the statement 'homelessness is a serious social problem' compatible with both of the above? YUP

Btw swagatalaksmi, I think you confused prospective with perspective. Please refer here for the difference:
http://dictionary.reference.com/
:lol:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 876
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2006, 10:16
kripalkavi wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
Give me C.


LOL ! How about some "logical" explanation, pal ? (assuming you have one !)


It seems like you think only you seem to have the logical explanations! Now thats a laugh! How I wish the GMAT would reward us for what we think are the correct answers rather than for 'just' the OAs!!!

Logical explanation? Here you go 'pal':
A says: It suggests an alternative prospective to the one adopted in the argument.

The conclusion is: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.
Is A offering an alternate prospective to this? If it were, then A would be saying: Homelessness is mainly caused by a lack of available housing.
So A is wrong as it does NOT offer an alternate (potential) option (prospective) to what is stated in the argument. The supply - demand theory is really fancy but I'll pass on that, thank you. LOL!

C says:It is compatible either with accepting the conclusion or with denying it.

Accept the conclusion: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.
Deny the conclusion: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is NOT wrong

Is the statement 'homelessness is a serious social problem' compatible with both of the above? YUP

Btw swagatalaksmi, I think you confused prospective with perspective. Please refer here for the difference:
http://dictionary.reference.com/
:lol:


Kripal - Well put. Your repartee to Ms SwagatLakshmi's remarks notwithstanding, I would be honest and say I didn't quite understand your argument. The OA is C which you got correct, but I don't quite get it.

In fact to that extent, even though I had chosen a different answer (i had chosen D) I kinda agree with SwagatLakshmi's point about A being a very formidable choice.

That's because I do realize that there are two perspectives - one purely driven by Supply chain considerations, whereby even if people have money they don't have enough housing available versus a socially regressive situation wherein people are simply not able to afford housing because of lack of income.

The author begins by saying "Homelessness is a serious social problem" indicating it could be due to lack of jobs and low-earning potential of the population as a whole.

Then the argument changes course and asserts that there are enough housing units available. It does seem like the argument switches courses from focusing on one aspect of the problem to another - something that's alluded to in choice A.

Even your example on how C is compatible with accepting the conclusion or denying it didn't make sense to it. But I am not at all good at CR - and that may be the reason I may simply be missing the point. I generally consider myself to have a decent intelligence so when I don't get something it really hurts me.

Swagatlakshmi - there's a difference between knowing something well and putting it across so that the those listening to you can focus on what it is you are saying rather than HOW you are saying it.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 322
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2006, 12:23
dwivedys wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
Give me C.


LOL ! How about some "logical" explanation, pal ? (assuming you have one !)


It seems like you think only you seem to have the logical explanations! Now thats a laugh! How I wish the GMAT would reward us for what we think are the correct answers rather than for 'just' the OAs!!!

Logical explanation? Here you go 'pal':
A says: It suggests an alternative prospective to the one adopted in the argument.

The conclusion is: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.
Is A offering an alternate prospective to this? If it were, then A would be saying: Homelessness is mainly caused by a lack of available housing.
So A is wrong as it does NOT offer an alternate (potential) option (prospective) to what is stated in the argument. The supply - demand theory is really fancy but I'll pass on that, thank you. LOL!

C says:It is compatible either with accepting the conclusion or with denying it.

Accept the conclusion: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.
Deny the conclusion: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is NOT wrong

Is the statement 'homelessness is a serious social problem' compatible with both of the above? YUP

Btw swagatalaksmi, I think you confused prospective with perspective. Please refer here for the difference:
http://dictionary.reference.com/
:lol:


Kripal - Well put. Your repartee to Ms SwagatLakshmi's remarks notwithstanding, I would be honest and say I didn't quite understand your argument. The OA is C which you got correct, but I don't quite get it.

In fact to that extent, even though I had chosen a different answer (i had chosen D) I kinda agree with SwagatLakshmi's point about A being a very formidable choice.

That's because I do realize that there are two perspectives - one purely driven by Supply chain considerations, whereby even if people have money they don't have enough housing available versus a socially regressive situation wherein people are simply not able to afford housing because of lack of income.

The author begins by saying "Homelessness is a serious social problem" indicating it could be due to lack of jobs and low-earning potential of the population as a whole.

Then the argument changes course and asserts that there are enough housing units available. It does seem like the argument switches courses from focusing on one aspect of the problem to another - something that's alluded to in choice A.

Even your example on how C is compatible with accepting the conclusion or denying it didn't make sense to it. But I am not at all good at CR - and that may be the reason I may simply be missing the point. I generally consider myself to have a decent intelligence so when I don't get something it really hurts me.

Swagatlakshmi - there's a difference between knowing something well and putting it across so that the those listening to you can focus on what it is you are saying rather than HOW you are saying it.

Thanks


Homelessness is a serious social problem - A
So the frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong. is the conclusion - B

A is in compliance with B when housing is available and plp still cann't affford it...................

A is not in compliance with B WHEN THERE IS PLENTY OF HOUSING AVAILABLE .............................AND THE CURE DENIED IN THE ARGUMENT IS REQUIRED HERE........................

tHE ABOVE EXPLANATION MAY OR MAY NOT BE CONVINCING...............BUT THIS IS MY ATTEMPT...............
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 876
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2006, 12:53
1
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
Give me C.


LOL ! How about some "logical" explanation, pal ? (assuming you have one !)


It seems like you think only you seem to have the logical explanations! Now thats a laugh! How I wish the GMAT would reward us for what we think are the correct answers rather than for 'just' the OAs!!!

Logical explanation? Here you go 'pal':
A says: It suggests an alternative prospective to the one adopted in the argument.

The conclusion is: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.
Is A offering an alternate prospective to this? If it were, then A would be saying: Homelessness is mainly caused by a lack of available housing.
So A is wrong as it does NOT offer an alternate (potential) option (prospective) to what is stated in the argument. The supply - demand theory is really fancy but I'll pass on that, thank you. LOL!

C says:It is compatible either with accepting the conclusion or with denying it.

Accept the conclusion: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.
Deny the conclusion: The frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is NOT wrong

Is the statement 'homelessness is a serious social problem' compatible with both of the above? YUP

Btw swagatalaksmi, I think you confused prospective with perspective. Please refer here for the difference:
http://dictionary.reference.com/
:lol:


Kripal - Well put. Your repartee to Ms SwagatLakshmi's remarks notwithstanding, I would be honest and say I didn't quite understand your argument. The OA is C which you got correct, but I don't quite get it.

In fact to that extent, even though I had chosen a different answer (i had chosen D) I kinda agree with SwagatLakshmi's point about A being a very formidable choice.

That's because I do realize that there are two perspectives - one purely driven by Supply chain considerations, whereby even if people have money they don't have enough housing available versus a socially regressive situation wherein people are simply not able to afford housing because of lack of income.

The author begins by saying "Homelessness is a serious social problem" indicating it could be due to lack of jobs and low-earning potential of the population as a whole.

Then the argument changes course and asserts that there are enough housing units available. It does seem like the argument switches courses from focusing on one aspect of the problem to another - something that's alluded to in choice A.

Even your example on how C is compatible with accepting the conclusion or denying it didn't make sense to it. But I am not at all good at CR - and that may be the reason I may simply be missing the point. I generally consider myself to have a decent intelligence so when I don't get something it really hurts me.

Swagatlakshmi - there's a difference between knowing something well and putting it across so that the those listening to you can focus on what it is you are saying rather than HOW you are saying it.

Thanks


Homelessness is a serious social problem - A
So the frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong. is the conclusion - B

A is in compliance with B when housing is available and plp still cann't affford it...................

A is not in compliance with B WHEN THERE IS PLENTY OF HOUSING AVAILABLE .............................AND THE CURE DENIED IN THE ARGUMENT IS REQUIRED HERE........................

tHE ABOVE EXPLANATION MAY OR MAY NOT BE CONVINCING...............BUT THIS IS MY ATTEMPT...............


That's a pretty neat attempt. Thanks..
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 950
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2006, 18:43
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 543
Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2006, 18:55
kripalkavi wrote:

Logical explanation? Here you go 'pal':

Btw swagatalaksmi, I think you confused prospective with perspective. Please refer here for the difference:
http://dictionary.reference.com/
:lol:


I always thought if weird logic could smile, it would look like your avatar.
Thanks for the dictionary and I promise I will never challenge your genius mind ever again.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 800
Location: Bangalore
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2006, 21:10
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:

Logical explanation? Here you go 'pal':

Btw swagatalaksmi, I think you confused prospective with perspective. Please refer here for the difference:
http://dictionary.reference.com/
:lol:


I always thought if weird logic could smile, it would look like your avatar.
Thanks for the dictionary and I promise I will never challenge your genius mind ever again.


Its quite pathetic to see how much time you really have to actually edit a quote to prolong an already useless argument. You win! you are the queen of everything smart and intelligent. I really do hope this attitude gets you into a B-school of your choice. Now, if you aren't going to constructively participate in this thread anymore plese refrain from making degratory remarks about others. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Oct 2016
Posts: 93
Location: China
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 19:46
C is the right answer cuz it is dispensable to reach the conclusion
_________________
LSAT CR is driving me mad
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 864
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 06:37
OA added and bumping for further discussion
_________________
D-Day: November 18th, 2017

My CR Guide: Here
My RC Guide: Here
Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here
Want to know your Business School chances? Go: Here
Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 11:13
Can someone please explain why not D ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Oct 2018
Posts: 135
CAT Tests
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 05:50
dwivedys wrote:
Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but further government spending to provide low-income housing is not the cure for homelessness. The most cursory glance at the real-estate section of any major newspaper is enough to show that there is no lack of housing units available to rent. So the frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.

That homelessness is a serious social problem figures in the argument in which one of the following ways?


Let us summarize the argument:
Homelessness is a serious social problem -Politician makes a claim-, but further government spending to provide low-income housing is not the cure for homelessness-Politician is discussing the solution for the problem he just described. He states that of the many solutions available, extra housing is not the solution. The most cursory glance at the real-estate section of any major newspaper is enough to show that there is no lack of housing units available to rent. So the frequent claim that people are homeless because of a lack of available housing is wrong.The two statements provide the reason why politicin believes that extra housing is not the solution

In short the bolded part plays a role of stating the problem whose one of the solution is discussed in the passage. In addition the politician explains why he believes that this solution is incorrect

(A) It suggests an alternative prospective to the one adopted in the argument.
- Prospective adopted in the argument - extra housing is not the solution. The bolded face discusses the problem and definitely not an alternative prospective
- wrong

(B) It sets out a problem the argument is designed to resolve.
- The bolded part does set out a problem.
- However, the argument does not resovle the problem. The argument simply states that solution discussed is inappropriate
- Wrong

(C) It is compatible either with accepting the conclusion or with denying it.
- Bolded part states a problem.
- Conclusion is extra housing is not a solution.
- Proving the conclusion wrong or right won't affect the existence of the problem. The problem still stands.
- Correct

(D) It summarizes a position the argument as a whole is directed toward discrediting.
- The argument is focused on discrediting that extra housing is not the appropriate solution.
- The bolded part is describing the problem
- Wrong

(E) It is required in order to establish the conclusion.
- The bolded part is a problem. It plays a role of background information. The premise after the reasons given for the believe that the suggested solution is incorrect. The conclusion is the solution is inappropriate.
- Wrong
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2019, 05:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Politician: Homelessness is a serious social problem, but

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne