It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 15:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Politician: Now that we are finally cleaning up the industrial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 97 [1], given: 489

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Politician: Now that we are finally cleaning up the industrial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:31) correct 31% (04:45) wrong based on 55 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Politician: Now that we are finally cleaning up the industrial pollution in the bay, we must start making the bay more accessible to the public for recreational purposes.

Reporter: But if we increase public access to the bay, it will soon become polluted again.

Politician: Not true. The public did not have access to the bay, and it got polluted. Therefore, if and when the public is given access to the bay, it will not get polluted.

Which one of the following most closely parallels the flawed pattern of reasoning in the politician’s reply to the reporter?

A- If there had been a full moon last night, the tide would be higher than usual today. Since the tide is no higher than usual, there must not have been a full moon last night.

B- The detective said that whoever stole the money would be spending it conspicuously by now. Jones is spending money conspicuously, so he must be the thief.

C- When prisoners convicted of especially violent crimes were kept in solitary confinement, violence in the prisons increased. Therefore, violence in the prisons will not increase if such prisoners are allowed to mix with fellow prisoners.

D- To get a driver’s license, one must pass a written test. Smith passed the written test, so she must have gotten a driver’s license.

E- In order to like abstract art, you have to understand it. Therefore, in order to understand abstract art, you have to like it.

This is an old question with no timer in the original thread. I got it wrong and wanted to share here to see if I can find my mistake.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please hit Kudos if this post helped you inch closer to your GMAT goal.
Procrastination is the termite constantly trying to eat your GMAT tree from the inside.
There is one fix to every problem, working harder!

Kudos [?]: 97 [1], given: 489

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 65

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Politician: Now that we are finally cleaning up the industrial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 06:00
C was pretty straight and similar to the reasoning.
My reason:-
When prisoners convicted of especially violent crimes were kept in solitary confinement violence in the prisons increased ~ when people had no access, the bay became polluted.
Therefore, violence in the prisons will not increase if such prisoners are allowed to mix with fellow prisoners. ~ Bay will not get polluted if people are allowed access.

I could relate to it and reached by POE.

Regards
SandySilva

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 65

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Politician: Now that we are finally cleaning up the industrial [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 07:58
jedit wrote:
Politician: Now that we are finally cleaning up the industrial pollution in the bay, we must start making the bay more accessible to the public for recreational purposes.

Reporter: But if we increase public access to the bay, it will soon become polluted again.

Politician: Not true. The public did not have access to the bay, and it got polluted. Therefore, if and when the public is given access to the bay, it will not get polluted.

Which one of the following most closely parallels the flawed pattern of reasoning in the politician’s reply to the reporter?

A- If there had been a full moon last night, the tide would be higher than usual today. Since the tide is no higher than usual, there must not have been a full moon last night.

B- The detective said that whoever stole the money would be spending it conspicuously by now. Jones is spending money conspicuously, so he must be the thief.

C- When prisoners convicted of especially violent crimes were kept in solitary confinement, violence in the prisons increased. Therefore, violence in the prisons will not increase if such prisoners are allowed to mix with fellow prisoners.

D- To get a driver’s license, one must pass a written test. Smith passed the written test, so she must have gotten a driver’s license.

E- In order to like abstract art, you have to understand it. Therefore, in order to understand abstract art, you have to like it.

This is an old question with no timer in the original thread. I got it wrong and wanted to share here to see if I can find my mistake.

In 700+ GMAT critical reasoning questions, applying some formal LSAT-style logic can be beneficial. For conditional statements a sufficient condition leads to a necessary condition.

This can be diagrammed as Sufficient > Necessary, and from this information, one and only one inference can be made - the contrapositive - which is derived by reversing and negating the terms, e.g. Not Necessary > Not Sufficient. Let's apply this to the reporter in our scenario:

If increase public access > then bay soon polluted

Now, the correct contrapositive statement would be:

Not bay soon polluted > then not increase public access.

In response, the politician introduces a new conditional statement asserting:

No public access > bay polluted

However, the politician only does half of the contrapositive, incorrectly negating the terms to produce the conclusion:

Public access > then bay not get polluted

Now, diagram the answer choices to find one that matches this incorrect negation flaw.

A- If full moon last night > then tide higher than usual; Not tide higher than usual > then full moon last night, is a correct contrapositive, so eliminate choice A.

B- If stole money > then spending conspicuously by now; Jones is spending money conspicuously > then he must be the thief, is an incorrect reversal of the terms rather than an incorrect negation of the terms, so eliminate choice B.

C- If violent prisoners kept in solitary confinement > then increase prison violence; Not violent prisoners kept in solitary confinement > then not increase prison violence, is an incorrect negation that matches the flaw in the given argument. Keep choice C.

D- If driver’s license > then pass a written test; If Smith passed written test > then driver’s license, is an incorrect reversal rather than an incorrect negation, so eliminate choice D.

E- If like abstract art > then understand it; If understand abstract art > then like it, is an incorrect reversal rather than an incorrect negation, so eliminate choice E.

The correct answer is choice C.

M.S. Journalism, Northwestern University '09
Director of Online Tutoring, MyGuru
http://www.myguruedge.com

Find out more about online GMAT tutoring with MyGuru
http://www.myguruedge.com/gmat-prep/online-gmat-tutoring

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Politician: Now that we are finally cleaning up the industrial   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 07:58

Politician: Now that we are finally cleaning up the industrial

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap