Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 692 [35]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [4]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 692 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
Re: Politician: The current crisis in mathematics education must be overco [#permalink]
Expert Reply
aurobindomahanty wrote:
Thanks for the explaination :-D

Can you please elaborate the explanation for E ?

I thought : Students’ spending a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics ->help to overcome The current crisis in mathematics education ->help to to remain competitive in the global economy

It is based on the another rule --> P, unless Q.

Which means P will not be true unless Q is true but vice versa is not true. I mean you cannot say If Q is true, P must be true.

Let me elaborate it more.

P = No method successful
Q = Unless students spend more time.

So, E is on the same lines.

E is saying, Students spend more time, fine. But that doesn't mean method is going to be successful, which further doesnt guarantee competitiveness.

I hope it is clear now. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Politician: The current crisis in mathematics education must be overco [#permalink]
I understood using SC and NC.
Comp. -> Crisis overcome
Crisis Overcome - > Success in Teach

Now need help in disecting the following
"No method of teaching a subject can succeed that does not get students to spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying that subject. ".
Please help me out. how to interpret this sentence into SC -> NC format. Thank you.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nightmare007 wrote:
Comp. -> Crisis overcome

"No method of teaching a subject can succeed that does not get students to spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying that subject. ".
Please help me out. how to interpret this sentence into SC -> NC format. Thank you.

Sorry, I couldn't understand what SC and NC you are talking about.

Can you please elaborate so that I can help you disect it further?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
Comp. -> Crisis overcome

SC = Sufficient Condition
NC = Necessary Condition.
SC -> NC .
The conditional reasoning .
- CR powerscore Bible. :)
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nightmare007 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
Comp. -> Crisis overcome

SC = Sufficient Condition
NC = Necessary Condition.
SC -> NC .
The conditional reasoning .
- CR powerscore Bible. :)

Oh. Sorry, it is 12 midnight for me and my brain has now exhausted after doing so many questions and work related stuffs. I hope you will understand. :)

Ok, To answer your question:

Please look at the solution I provided here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/politician-t ... l#p1845999

SC: Sufficient amount of time
NC: Method Succeeded.

Apply the rule now, you will get your answer. This is very similar to P, unless Q. :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
A. If X happens, Y will happen => Y may happen without X => X is not necessary to happen Y.
B. Y will not happen unless X not happen => Y will not happen without X => X is required to happen Y.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
the word "logic" in the question is ambiguous. Test takers should look at the options in order to identify the question type. Here, it is an inference question.

C and D are out.
E does not show a causal relationship => E is wrong.
A and B sound similar, but they are not same. B is right, but A is wrong because the causal relationship can only happen in one way, not vice versa.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Send PM
Politician: The current crisis in mathematics education must be overco [#permalink]
abhimahna wrote:
aurobindomahanty wrote:
Thanks for the explaination :-D

Can you please elaborate the explanation for E ?

I thought : Students’ spending a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics ->help to overcome The current crisis in mathematics education ->help to to remain competitive in the global economy

It is based on the another rule --> P, unless Q.

Which means P will not be true unless Q is true but vice versa is not true. I mean you cannot say If Q is true, P must be true.

Let me elaborate it more.

P = No method successful
Q = Unless students spend more time.

So, E is on the same lines.

E is saying, Students spend more time, fine. But that doesn't mean method is going to be successful, which further doesnt guarantee competitiveness.

I hope it is clear now. :)

abhimahna,
I just want to make it clear to myself
answer E states that the frist outcome "would" lead to the very main goal, and as of the stimulus, it indeed would
is it not correct, because it may not lead, even if there is a possibility?
Because as I understand, the causal relationship in E isn't hurt.

Originally posted by nurba92 on 07 Aug 2019, 02:02.
Last edited by nurba92 on 08 Aug 2019, 04:29, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Please explain why B is correct. Unable to clearly articulate in If A then B format...
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Politician: The current crisis in mathematics education must be overcome if we are to remain competitive in the global economy. Alleviating this crisis requires the employment of successful teaching methods. No method of teaching a subject can succeed that does not get students to spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying that subject.

Type- inference
The current crisis in mathematics education must be overcome if we are to remain competitive in the global economy--> 'current crisis in mathematics education must be overcome' is a necessary condition for 'we are to remain competitive in the global economy'

Alleviating this crisis requires the employment of successful teaching methods.--> 'the employment of successful teaching method is necessary for Alleviating this crisis

No method of teaching a subject can succeed that does not get students to spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying that subject. --> 'Getting students to spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying that subject' is a necessary condition for a method of teaching to succeed

(A) If students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics, the current crisis in mathematics education will be overcome. - incorrect, 'students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics' is a sufficient condition here
(B) The current crisis in mathematics education will not be overcome unless students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics. - Correct
'Crisis can NOT be overcome' unless 'significant time out of class studying maths'. Students spending a significant amount of time outside of class studying maths is a necessary condition here
(C) Few subjects are as important as mathematics to the effort to remain competitive in the global economy. - incorrect, "as important" is a baseless comparison
(D) Only if we succeed in remaining competitive in the global economy will students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics. - incorrect
"only if" indicates a necessary condition. This reverses the logic.
(E) Students’ spending a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics would help us to remain competitive in the global economy.- incorrect
' Students’ spending a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics ' is neither necessary nor sufficient as per E. It is something that would help us. But E is making a bit of stretch.

Answer B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Politician: The current crisis in mathematics education must be overco [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Politician: The current crisis in mathematics education must be overcome if we are to remain competitive in the global economy. Alleviating this crisis requires the employment of successful teaching methods. No method of teaching a subject can succeed that does not get students to spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying that subject.

Hi Folks,
This is a good example of necessity vs sufficient condition.
Premise 1: Current condition-crisis in mathematics education
Premise 2: Aim-remain competitive in global economy.
Premise 3: Solution-employ successful teaching method.
Premise 4: Condition-No method of teaching could succeed without students spending significant amount of time outside class studying that subject.

There is no conclusion in the argument. Probably, we will be asked to draw one.
Trigger points: No method.... As soon as we see such a statement, it should raise a red flag as a condition is about to follow. Identify what type of condition it is. In this case it is a necessary condition because it also depends upon teaching method. X AND Y lead to Z.

Question statement: Which one of the following statements follows logically from the statements above?
So we are asked to draw a conclusion.

Quote:
(A) If students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics, the current crisis in mathematics education will be overcome.

A TRAP statement. This statement makes a given necessary condition to a sufficient one. Loser.

Quote:
(B) The current crisis in mathematics education will not be overcome unless students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics.
Absolutely true. Spending significant time outside class is a necessary condition and unless it is true, one will not overcome the current crisis. Contender.

Quote:
(C) Few subjects are as important as mathematics to the effort to remain competitive in the global economy.
Well, they could or could not be. we do not care.Loser

Quote:
(D) Only if we succeed in remaining competitive in the global economy will students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics.
Now this option presents another condition but we cannot derive this from the information presented to us.Loser

Quote:
(E) Students’ spending a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics would help us to remain competitive in the global economy.
No it will not. It is one of the two necessary conditions to alleviate crisis in mathematics education NOT to remain competitive in global economy. Loser

So, B is the best option to choose.

Note: Necessity vs sufficient conditions could be easily understood if you have the basic knowledge of AND and OR logical gates. This could be really simple for someone from engineering background.
Just treat Necessary condition as AND operation and sufficient as OR operation. This makes things way easier than they are.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
The current crisis in mathematics education must be overcome if we are to remain competitive in the global economy. Alleviating this crisis requires the employment of successful teaching methods. No method of teaching a subject can succeed that does not get students to spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying that subject. => spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying that subject [A] is necessary for any method of teaching to succeed [B]

[A] is necessary for [B] to happen

Which one of the following statements follows logically from the statements above?

(A) If students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics, the current crisis in mathematics education will be overcome. [A is necessary for B to happen but we can't say that it's sufficient]
(B) The current crisis in mathematics education will not be overcome unless students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics. [ Yes because it's necessary as we inferred earlier]
(C) Few subjects are as important as mathematics to the effort to remain competitive in the global economy. [I don't care about other subjects]
(D) Only if we succeed in remaining competitive in the global economy will students spend a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics. [This is saying the reverse]
(E) Students’ spending a significant amount of time outside of class studying mathematics would help us to remain competitive in the global economy. [It is necessary but we can't say that it's sufficient]
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts