GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 16:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Politician: When my opponent took office her main promise to the peopl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Politician: When my opponent took office her main promise to the peopl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 21:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:26) correct 26% (01:45) wrong based on 347 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Politician: When my opponent took office her main promise to the people was that she would stimulate the economy. That promise was clearly a lie, however, as evidenced by the amount of money she has spent on feel-good social programs such as federally-subsidized child care and elder care. In fact, each year she has been in office, the country has set a record for spending on child and elder care programs.

Which of the following is an assumption required by the argument above?

A. Child and elder care programs are a poor use of a government’s money.
B. Social programs like child and elder care are the only way to stimulate a country’s economy.
C. Politicians have the ability to stimulate an economy.
D. It is not possible for a government to spend money on social programs and also stimulate the economy.
E. Child and elder care programs are not the only social programs for which the politician’s opponent has set spending records.
MBA Blogger
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Politician: When my opponent took office her main promise to the peopl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 21:39
Which of the following is an assumption required by the argument above?

A. Child and elder care programs are a poor use of a government’s money.
Poor use. Hmm. If its a poor use then tthe promise to stimulate the economy might be a lie. Keep it for now.

B. Social programs like child and elder care are the only way to stimulate a country’s economy.
If its the only way, then the opponent tried her best by spending into social programs. Not the answer.

C. Politicians have the ability to stimulate an economy.
They have the ability thats why they are give the task, and promises are made. Not the answer.

D. It is not possible for a government to spend money on social programs and also stimulate the economy.
If this was not possible, then it was a lie that she would stimulate the economy but spent in something else. Strong choice.

E. Child and elder care programs are not the only social programs for which the politician’s opponent has set spending records.
Other records doesn't matter. Out of scope.

Answer D.

KUDOS please!! If it helped. :)
Warm Regards.
Visit My Blog

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.17
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Politician: When my opponent took office her main promise to the peopl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 22:45
The Basic Assumption here is that if her opponent has spent more on child care then she is not able to simulate the economy.
that means simulating economy and child care spending don't go hand in hand.
Cheers.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Politician: When my opponent took office her main promise to the peopl  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 07:56
Why not A? Even that gave a strong assumption right?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 08:17
Anazeer wrote:
Why not A? Even that gave a strong assumption right?

Because this assumption does not tell us whether the government can spend on child and elder care programs and still continue to stimulate the economy or not. Whereas D tells us that it is not possible to do so. So, D is the necessary assumption for the argument above.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2018, 04:00

Official Solution By VeritasPrep:

This problem is a great candidate for the Assumption Negation Technique. If you negate the correct answer, D, it becomes:

It is possible for a government to spend money on social programs and also stimulate the economy.

And you can see that this completely invalidates the argument. The given argument claims that the current official lied about saying she would stimulate the economy, with its only premise for that claim being "she has spent a lot of money on social programs." If it is, indeed, possible to spend money on social programs and also stimulate the economy, then that sole piece of evidence doesn't have any value; as it currently stands, spending money on social programs is not at all connected to the stimulation of the economy.

With the incorrect answer choices, note the specificity of the argument, which is "she said she would stimulate the economy, but she lied." Choice A supports a different argument (she's using money unwisely) but doesn't connect to "she is not stimulating the economy." Similarly, choice E adds more value to the premise ("she's spending a lot of money on social programs") but as discussed above that premise is not connected to the conclusion. Choice B goes contrary to his argument - if her spending were the only way to stimulate the economy, as B says, that would directly weaken his argument.

Choice C can perhaps be best understood by negation, too; if you negate C it then says "politicians do not have the ability to stimulate the economy." Note that here this does not weaken the conclusion (as a correct assumption answer will do once negated). Since the politician wants to essentially say that his opponent is not stimulating the economy, if anything this negated answer would help him, meaning that the assumption as it stands does not help him. Therefore, C is also incorrect.

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 19:30
I believe D would be correct if the argument stated ...as evidenced by the money she has spent on feel-good social programs...

The argument says she lied because she spent too much money on social programs. Can someone please explain what I am missing?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Politician: When my opponent took office her main promise to the peopl &nbs [#permalink] 22 Feb 2018, 19:30

Politician: When my opponent took office her main promise to the peopl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap