GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 15:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Poll: Anderson ($$) vs Ross vs Cornell?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which full time MBA?

• 48% [26]
  • 27% [15]
  • 24% [13]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V44
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Poll: Anderson ($$) vs Ross vs Cornell?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 23:34
Hello,

I've been very fortunate to have been accepted at all 3 programs. My interests are primarily in investment finance research with a secondary interest in strategic consulting (market entry in emerging markets). My full time exp is entirely in Asia and I could see myself returning but it's not a requirement. Thanks for helping me get some more information.

Anderson
Pros:
1) I visited all 3 schools and UCLA left the best impression by far. The people and environment were both great
2) Scholarship for 50% of tuition! Huge plus.
3) I've only visited LA twice but I like it
4) Big city probably means better networking opportunities
5) Significant percentage of grads go into finance.
6) LA seems to be a great location to do work with emerging markets, being at the crossroads of Asia and Latin America.

Cons:
1) Seems to be sort of bland "all-arounder", compared to Ross which is identified as a consulting school and Johnson which is a finance school. Nothing really jumps out at me with Anderson, like "this is a great school to do (blank)"
2) I'm really worried about the comparative recruitment numbers. It seems like Anderson punches below their weight with big consulting or bulge bracket banks. The people I've spoken with at Anderson say that it's not a problem with the school, it's just that many students prefer to do something else. I don't know how true that is.
3) Seems very LA focused, don't know if the brand will travel well overseas or to east coast, if I ever decide to move.

Ross
Pros:
1) Seems to be the best regarded of the three
2) Good recruitment record
3) Seems to be continually improving. Their website and print materials definitely show a sense of refinement and polish. It's a small point, but I get a good impression from these things.
4) Admissions person I spoke with on campus was great.
5) Went to Umich for undergrad, so I am familiar with AA and like it.

Cons:
1) Michigan is sort of a wasteland for jobs, I wouldn't want to work there after graduation.
2) Not a great impression from most people I interacted with during application/visit process.
3) No scholarship
4) Went to Umich for undergrad, I don't know if doubling down on schools is a good idea.

Johnson
Pros:
1) Second favorite school of the five I visited
2) Good college town atmosphere
3) Really has a very prestigious feel, a lot of the people I interacted with were very professional and accomplished
4) Having an Ivy League school on my resume makes me feel nice.

Cons:
1) Ithaca is very remote. If I was studying chemistry or biology that might be fine, but business tends to require social interaction. NYC is a long drive.
2) Tends to rank comparatively below UCLA, which is offering a bunch of money

Immediately after visiting five schools, I was ready to sign the dotted line for UCLA. When they called and offered a scholarship, I was really excited. But now as the deadline nears, I want to be sure I'm not going to be making a big mistake. The usefulness in the degree leading to a great job is obviously the most important, and UCLA's career numbers are just kind of meh.

Would appreciate any help in trying to sort out this stuff, thank you!!
Stanford School Moderator
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.75
Re: Poll: Anderson ($$) vs Ross vs Cornell?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 05:27
It sounds like you have really done your research and, after all of that, you pretty much decided that UCLA was where you wanted to go. Go with your gut!

You forgot one plus about UCLA: proximity to Disneyland :)
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 05:57
voted UCLA. for following reasons:
Its money wise.
You really like LA.
You would prefer another setting (not AA where you studies and not Ithaca which is long drive from NY).
previously it was well known for finance, which is your goal. Regarding recruiting everything comes to you not school's brand.
a lot of networking opportunities in LA.
great wheather

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Apr 2015, 07:29
I'm in a similar situation. I am concerned that Ross is too much of a consulting school and that I might struggle with finance recruiting there.

When you say "investment finance research", I assume you mean an investment management role?

Originally posted by WallEE on 01 Apr 2015, 07:25.
Last edited by WallEE on 01 Apr 2015, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 07:29
WallEE wrote:
I'm in a similar situation. When you say "investment finance research", I assume you mean an investment management role?

I think he means Equity/Fixed Income Research within investment management but my guess is as good as yours.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 07:38
BrainFog wrote:
WallEE wrote:
I'm in a similar situation. When you say "investment finance research", I assume you mean an investment management role?

I think he means Equity/Fixed Income Research within investment management but my guess is as good as yours.

Bingo. I am more interested on buy side than sell side, so its not quite IB, specifically I am interested in fixed income research.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 07:55
That's a tough one. UCLA has Doubleline, TCW, WAMCO and PIMCO nearby (I'm sure there are others, but these are the big fixed income shops that come to mind). Johnson seems strong in asset management -- for what it's worth, I know of a student there who ended up at a large fixed income shop without previous investment management experience.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 22:52
I agree with the above post that UCLA seems like the correct choice.... If I was in your position I would go to Cornell, but that is because I went to UCLA for undergrad and I am not a big fan of 'doubling down' (do you really want to spend more time in AA?). However, I can tell you from hearing from many Anderson alumni that the school provides great opportunities if you want to stay in SoCal, and that it has lost of diverse exit opportunities (entertainment, RE, ect)....
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 22:55
Thanks everyone! I will be joining the Bruins in the Fall! You guys are great!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Poll: Anderson ($$) vs Ross vs Cornell?   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2015, 22:55

Poll: Anderson ($$) vs Ross vs Cornell?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate