It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 15

Re: Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 10:38
thanks for concept clarification

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2012, 04:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager harvests, causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as 15 percent of the population.

(a) causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination as many as
(b) causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and eliminating as much as
(c) resulting in mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as much as
(d) and resulted in mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as
(e) causing mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as

[Reveal] Spoiler:
There are two errors in the original sentence. First, the expression “causing the result of” is nonsensical; it is impossible for something “to cause the result of” something else. Either “an event causes an effect,” “an event results in an effect,” or “an effect is the result of an event.” Second, the expression “as many as” refers to a portion of the “population,” which is an uncountable noun (i.e., one cannot say “one population, two population”); hence, the correct expression here is “as much as” rather than “as many as.”

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The expression “causing the result of” is nonsensical; it is impossible for something “to cause the result of” something else. This choice does correctly use "as much as" rather than “as many as” to refer to the unquantifiable noun "population."

(C) CORRECT. This choice correctly uses the expression “as much as” rather than “as many as” to refer to the uncountable noun “population.” In addition, this choice uses the grammatical form “Poor weather … created meager harvests resulting in X and Y” where the entire phrase beginning with “resulting” directly modifies “harvests,” and where X, “mass starvation … ,” and Y, “the elimination of … ” are parallel to each
other in structure.

(D) The expression “as many as” refers to a portion of the “population,” which is an uncountable noun; hence, the correct expression here is “as much as” rather than “as many as.” In addition, the construction “Poor weather…created meager harvests… and resulted in mass starvation …” changes the meaning of the sentence slightly by asserting that the poor weather, rather than the meager harvests, was the direct cause of the starvation and the elimination of some of the population.

(E) The expression “as many as” refers to a portion of the “population,” which is an uncountable noun; hence, the correct expression here is “as much as” rather than “as many as.”

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2012, 06:00
kingb wrote:
Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager harvests, causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as 15 percent of the population.

(a) causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination as many as
(b) causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and eliminating as much as
(c) resulting in mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as much as
(d) and resulted in mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as

Hi kingb,

"causing the result" is redundant. Either "causing" or "resulting in" is to be used... Thus we can straightaway eliminate A, B.

In D, there is an "and" after comma, which is incorrect. Now analyze C and E.

The difference between C and E is "as many as" vs "as much as". We are talking about a percent, not countable. Hence "as much as" is better in this sentence. C is the right choice.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 48

WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2012, 06:07
I will go with C - correct Participle modifier - resulting in - which modifies the complete Non-underlined part and correct comparison - as much as.

causing the result of - is Incorrect in A and B.
(D) continues the List by using "and" thrice -created X, and resulted in Y and the elimination of Z....
(E) InCorrect expression - as many as - because population is uncountable and many is used for countable nouns.

kingb wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
There are two errors in the original sentence. First, the expression “causing the result of” is nonsensical; it is impossible for something “to cause the result of” something else. Either “an event causes an effect,” “an event results in an effect,” or “an effect is the result of an event.” Second, the expression “as many as” refers to a portion of the “population,” which is an uncountable noun (i.e., one cannot say “one population, two population”); hence, the correct expression here is “as much as” rather than “as many as.”

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The expression “causing the result of” is nonsensical; it is impossible for something “to cause the result of” something else. This choice does correctly use "as much as" rather than “as many as” to refer to the unquantifiable noun "population."

(C) CORRECT. This choice correctly uses the expression “as much as” rather than “as many as” to refer to the uncountable noun “population.” In addition, this choice uses the grammatical form “Poor weather … created meager harvests resulting in X and Y” where the entire phrase beginning with “resulting” directly modifies “harvests,” and where X, “mass starvation … ,” and Y, “the elimination of … ” are parallel to each
other in structure.

(D) The expression “as many as” refers to a portion of the “population,” which is an uncountable noun; hence, the correct expression here is “as much as” rather than “as many as.” In addition, the construction “Poor weather…created meager harvests… and resulted in mass starvation …” changes the meaning of the sentence slightly by asserting that the poor weather, rather than the meager harvests, was the direct cause of the starvation and the elimination of some of the population.

(E) The expression “as many as” refers to a portion of the “population,” which is an uncountable noun; hence, the correct expression here is “as much as” rather than “as many as.”

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 48

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2014, 23:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 08:01

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 15:40
rafi wrote:

a. causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination as many as
causing the result - no way
percentage - much not many

b. causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and eliminating as much as
causing the result - no way

c. resulting in mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as much as
looks good

d. and resulted in mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as
we need "ing" modifier to show the result...

e. causing mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as

C is the best.

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 02:38

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 05:23
BKimball wrote:
The discussion above about "population" is an interesting one. Consider the following:

"The population of Mexico is about 90 million." --> Here, "population" is singular.
"The populations of North and South Dakota are roughly equal." --> Here, "populations" is plural because you're referring to two separate populations.

In this case, we're referring to a single population - that of 14th century Europe.

Does that help for those of you wondering about the plural / singular population issue?

Let simplify things in four cases:
1- as much/many as 15% of [countable]
2- as much/many as 15% of [uncountable]
3- as much/many as 3 of [countable]
4- as much/many as 3 of [uncountable]

Can some expert comment the four cases?
Thanks a lot,

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 08:10
Imo C

Apart from As much as i think resulting is much more better than causing because poor weather caused meagre harvest which in turn resulted in starved population.
Any suggestion on this ?

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 01:30
BKimball wrote:
The discussion above about "population" is an interesting one. Consider the following:

"The population of Mexico is about 90 million." --> Here, "population" is singular.
"The populations of North and South Dakota are roughly equal." --> Here, "populations" is plural because you're referring to two separate populations.

In this case, we're referring to a single population - that of 14th century Europe.

Does that help for those of you wondering about the plural / singular population issue?

In C, Resulting and elimination shouldn't be parallel?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 126

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 784 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 02:42
rocko911 wrote:
In C, Resulting and elimination shouldn't be parallel?

Hi rocko911 ,

No, as per the meaning of the sentence it must be resulting in

1. mass starvation in some areas and
2. the elimination of as much as 15 percent of the population.

Both the above points are || and hence, the correct option.

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 784 [0], given: 64

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 03:06
Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager harvests, resulting in ____________________

Is usage of resulting in correct in this sentence?

X results in Y. correct
But this seem not logical.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Re: Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2017, 03:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap