Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [431]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [275]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [84]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618951 [38]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: If the probability that Stock A will increase in value during the next [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
metallicafan wrote:
IanStewart wrote:
....So if the probability that stock A does not increase is 0.46, and the probability that stock B does not increase is 0.32, it may be that every time B does not increase, A also does not increase. So the maximum probability that both do not increase is 0.32. Of course, it's also possible that the probability both do not increase is substantially lower than that (it could be as low as 0, in fact).

In relation to the explanation provided by IanStewart, I understand the example about the rain and clouds because there is a causality relationship behind (clouds are necessary in a rain). But in the original question, we don't know whether A depends on B or B depends on A. In this sense, we could also say that every time A does not increase, B also does not increase (the opposite stated by Ian). Consequentely, we could say that the maximum probability that both do not increase is 0.46 (which is also a choice (D)).

How could we figure out that the correct causality relationship is the mentioned by Ian?. Please explain.

Responding to a pm.

The probability that stock A does not increase is 0.46, and the probability that stock B does not increase is 0.32. Now, how can the probability that both do not increase be more than individual probability of not increasing for each? So the probability that both do not increase cannot be more than 0.32. Basically the probability that both do not increase is between 0 and 0.32, inclusive (in fact the moment you realize this, you have the correct answer right away).
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: If the probability that Stock A will increase in value during the next [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Wow! I cannot believe I gotta break out my prob books and revise conditional prob for this :). Kudos and here is a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_probability
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3946 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IanStewart wrote:
....So if the probability that stock A does not increase is 0.46, and the probability that stock B does not increase is 0.32, it may be that every time B does not increase, A also does not increase. So the maximum probability that both do not increase is 0.32. Of course, it's also possible that the probability both do not increase is substantially lower than that (it could be as low as 0, in fact).

In relation to the explanation provided by IanStewart, I understand the example about the rain and clouds because there is a causality relationship behind (clouds are necessary in a rain). But in the original question, we don't know whether A depends on B or B depends on A. In this sense, we could also say that every time A does not increase, B also does not increase (the opposite stated by Ian). Consequentely, we could say that the maximum probability that both do not increase is 0.46 (which is also a choice (D)).

How could we figure out that the correct causality relationship is the mentioned by Ian?. Please explain.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [5]
Kudos
Expert Reply
metallicafan wrote:

The crucial point here is correlation, not causality.

Rains and clouds are correlated because rains cause clouds. Not all things that are correlated have a causal relationship.

Sales of suntan lotion and sales of ice cream are correlated --- not because one causes the others (folks using suntan lotion as an ice cream topping??), but rather both are caused by hot sunny weather.

Much in the same way, Stock A's increase doesn't cause Stock B's increase, nor vice versa, but rather all the market conditions in general (interest rates, price of oil, whether Greece will go bankrupt, etc. etc. etc.) --- everything that moves the market will cause all stocks to up together or all stocks to go down together. In fact, if you follow the stock market, you know that's very much how stocks move.

That's why it may be that every time B increases, A also increases. Not that one causes the other, but both are driven by a mutual underlying cause. That's another way that two things can be correlated.

Does this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
metallicafan wrote:

The crucial point here is correlation, not causality.

Rains and clouds are correlated because rains cause clouds. Not all things that are correlated have a causal relationship.

Sales of suntan lotion and sales of ice cream are correlated --- not because one causes the others (folks using suntan lotion as an ice cream topping??), but rather both are caused by hot sunny weather.

Much in the same way, Stock A's increase doesn't cause Stock B's increase, nor vice versa, but rather all the market conditions in general (interest rates, price of oil, whether Greece will go bankrupt, etc. etc. etc.) --- everything that moves the market will cause all stocks to up together or all stocks to go down together. In fact, if you follow the stock market, you know that's very much how stocks move.

That's why it may be that every time B increases, A also increases. Not that one causes the other, but both are driven by a mutual underlying cause. That's another way that two things can be correlated.

Does this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)

From what I understand, you mean to say if I had taken .54 in the circle and then apllied .68 overlapping to it. I would consume .54 and an additional .12 from the free space. So the probabilty is still .32

I still dont understand cause we are talking about probability of "not increasing"
If A doesn't increase the not increasing probability is .46 and as it is not increasing B will also not increasing so it will not consume any area.

Really sorry to confuse so much...
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [10]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
b2bt wrote:
[color=#00a651]From what I understand, you mean to say if I had taken .54 in the circle and then applied .68 overlapping to it. I would consume .54 and an additional .12 from the free space. So the probability is still .32[/color]

I still dont understand cause we are talking about probability of "not increasing"
If A doesn't increase the not increasing probability is .46 and as it is not increasing B will also not increasing so it will not consume any area.

Really sorry to confuse so much...

Dear b2bt,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

As I am sure you appreciate, there is often more than one valid way to approach a problem. For this particular problem, in the section I marked in green above, you demonstrated a perfectly correct way to think about this starting from the probabilities of each event happening. That is a perfectly correct approach, and it results in a correct answer.

In some of the entries above, I and others started instead with the probability of each event NOT happening. This can also lead to a correct answer. Let's say
A = the event that stock A increases next month
B = the event that stock B increases next month
The prompt tell us
P(A) = 0.54
P(B) = 0.68
From here, we can calculate
P(not A) = 1 - 0.54 = 0.46
P(not B) = 1 - 0.68 = 0.32
We want the maximum overlap of P(not A) and P(not B), so even if they have full overlap, the size of that overlap region could only be as big as P(not B) = 0.32. This approach also logical leads us to the answer.

It's important to appreciate that there are two different paths of logic that lead to the answer. In fact, I would: if you only have one way of thinking about any GMAT math problem, you don't really understand it. Multiple approaches in problem solving are so important for deep understanding of mathematics.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Wow - now that this is a GMAT Prep question - Must look at these concepts in more detail..
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [8]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rohanGmat wrote:
Wow - now that this is a GMAT Prep question - Must look at these concepts in more detail..

Dear Rohan,
Here's a series of blogs you may find helpful:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-math- ... ity-rules/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-math- ... -question/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-proba ... echniques/
I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I have one ultimate question in my mind!
How is that all (or almost all) the official GMAT Prep questions in the latest Exam Pack 1 released by GMAC on September 2013 has already been discussed on GC/BTG at a much earlier date i.e., some questions almost dating back to 7-8 years. Since, GMAC claims that there is no overlap with any of the old Questions it has released so far, from where do these questions surface?

In the very discussion thread above, I can see that the experts rejecting the possibility of seeing such a question in the official test, I encountered the same Q in GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 - Test #4. It was my 12th question, after getting the first 11 questions correct.

Any light on this would be much helpful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos