Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Re: M for MBA or M for Marriage [#permalink]
Kudos
Comparing both MBA and Marriage is not right, if you have chance to go abroad on a good package then you should not lose the chance. First make your career and then go for marriage otherwise it is very difficult to set the career.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
career123 wrote:
Comparing both MBA and Marriage is not right, if you have chance to go abroad on a good package then you should not lose the chance. First make your career and then go for marriage otherwise it is very difficult to set the career.

I guess it depends on who you are... To me, my fiancee(wife in a few months) is more important than my career. If I felt moving would but an insurmountable strain on our marriage it wouldn't be worth it. BUT, I also wouldn't be with a woman who didn't want the best for our future. My fiancee loves her job, and will continue to build a career. I know what steps I need to take to build one too. We aren't here to get in each other's way, we're here to support each other, so our lives are a bit easier and more enjoyable in the future.

Some people focus on building a career before finding the right woman, others are lucky enough to include them in the journey.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Guys,

I'm not married yet, but I have recently engaged. So I am going to take the risk of "many changes at the same time".
Let see how it goes...

I have a question though: do b-schools allow partners to attend classes? Does anybody know how it works in Kellogg and Ross?
In my case, it would be beneficial…
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
cervieri wrote:
Guys,

I'm not married yet, but I have recently engaged. So I am going to take the risk of "many changes at the same time".
Let see how it goes...

I have a question though: do b-schools allow partners to attend classes? Does anybody know how it works in Kellogg and Ross?
In my case, it would be beneficial…

My guess is no unless your fianceé is going there too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
Send PM
The proverbial M - rock and a hard place.

I'm at the age where my friends and family would like to see me married. But as you can guess, contemplating an MBA and you realise you can really only have one of those really expensive things (cynical? yes, a wife is expensive).

Personally I work in a job where I am home for may be 6-8 hours max, if I'm lucky. In such circumstances its neither fare to subject your other half to such torture since he/she will have needs :lol: or will your marriage last longer than Kim Kardashian's.

If you are thinking about your MBA constantly, you want that M. Don't think you need to have the wife. Conversely if you think about a wife and kids more than you think about a very expensive piece of paper and a golden rolodex, get hitched.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
Send PM
My two cents:

I think it's not impossible to manage a marriage and a MBA at the same time but I feel it's important for both partners to understand completely and to agree to what they are signing up for. It's important to have your expectations aligned. Secondly I think it helps for both the partners to be busy, if one isn't working etc then they will definitely feel a bit left out or bored. Lastly I feel this arrangement works better if you aren't recently married or in a new relationship. If two people have been together for a long time then they understand and know how to manage each other.

Like I said before not impossible but patience and determination is the key here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Update on my side.

Now officially married (a little over a month) and finished submitting round 1 apps.

Make sure your wife or fiancee (not both, that could get you in trouble) goes to information sessions and campus visits with you. The schools themselves did a much better job selling to her then I could have ever done. They have convinced my urbanite hipster of a wife, that a 2 year break in middle of nowhere NH, upstate NY, or even NC is a good idea... (Bloomington, Indiana did not do a good job of this lol)

:-)
About taking classes, some programs allow partners to audit classes, I know for sure Tuck does, IDK who else does
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
Update on my side.

Now officially married (a little over a month) and finished submitting round 1 apps.

Make sure your wife or fiancee (not both, that could get you in trouble) goes to information sessions and campus visits with you. The schools themselves did a much better job selling to her then I could have ever done. They have convinced my urbanite hipster of a wife, that a 2 year break in middle of nowhere NH, upstate NY, or even NC is a good idea... (Bloomington, Indiana did not do a good job of this lol)

:-)
About taking classes, some programs allow partners to audit classes, I know for sure Tuck does, IDK who else does

The bolded reply of your is worth the GOLD.. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V33
Send PM
Hi,

I have a question from myself on this topic. So, I am turning 28 in May this year and I am planning to get in to a b-school next year. So, what is the best course for getting married? Any instances on what others have done in such situations? Should get married after I complete my MBA?

PS: Will be going for arrange marriage for sure ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I believe that there is a way for the B-schooler and the B-school partner to gain both professional and personal satisfaction and advancement from the MBA. It's all about balance, intention, and honest communications. There is a fantastic book out dealing with this and more -- The Unofficial Guide to B-School Partner Life: Balancing between the B-School Bubble and Reality. Essentially, it looks at how to have a successful time at B-School, and how to make the most out of the experience.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2