Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3462 [84]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [18]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [10]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [2]
Send PM
Re: Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is good one :)

I take on 'E'.

A, B & D - 'as humans' is wrong
C - sounds as if 'humans can be trained to communicate'
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3462 [2]
Send PM
Re: Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
OA is E.

we are comparing two actions here so as will be used instead of like.

so C is out.

only E maintains the correct comparison.
dolphins are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do(communicate)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
A case of the use of proper diction and like vs as.

a) are able to be trained to communicate as humans … are able to be is not the preferred diction. Can be or could be is the right ; drop
b) were able to be trained to communicate like humans --- were able to be is still worse uses wrong tense as well as wrong diction; drop
c) can be trained to communicate like humans can …. -[color=#0000ff]Like humans can - is a clause. Like can not be used to compare clauses.

d) could be trained to communicate as humans ---- correct choice. – As - can be used to denote positions.
e) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do --- are capable of being trained is poor diction.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sumanmaparu wrote:
nakib77 wrote:
Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be trained to communicate as humans.

A) are able to be trained to communicate as humans
B) were able to be trained to communicate as humans
C) can be trained to communicate like humans can
D) could be trained to communicate as humans
E) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do

can any SC guru help settle the duel between choice D & choice E

A, B, D are wrong because -- When you use as it should be followed by a clause because you are making comparison here
C is wrong because -- Like cannot be followed by a clause
E is correct because -- As is followed by a clause and its a comparison
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [2]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
nakib77 wrote:
Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be trained to communicate as humans.

In A and D, to communicate AS HUMANS implies that the dolphins actually would BE humans when they communicate. Mary works as a doctor means that Mary actually IS a doctor.
Eliminate A and D.

In B, were trained should not be in the past tense, since the sentence is discussing an ongoing possibility: whether dolphins ARE capable of being trained.
Eliminate B.

In C, like is being used -- incorrectly -- to compare actions. LIke is used to compare nouns; AS is used to compare actions.
Eliminate C.

Hence E is the perfect answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Ellipse wrote:
Q: Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be trained to communicate as humans.

a) are able to be trained to communicate as humans
b) were able to be trained to communicate like humans
c) can be trained to communicate like humans can
d) could be trained to communicate as humans
e) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do

Comparison can be made between two things:-
1) Dolphins, Like humans, can be trained
2) Dolphins can be trained, as humans can be.

a) are able to be trained to communicate as humans. 'Ability' is compared with 'humans'
b) were able to be trained to communicate like humans 'Ability' is compared with 'humans'
c) can be trained to communicate like humans can 'like' is used to compare actions
d) could be trained to communicate as humans Correct choice
e) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do Use of being is generally wrong on GMAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Dear expert GMATNinja, could you please help explain usage of "as humans" in correct answer (D)?
As far as I'm concern, [as + noun] is right only when subject of the following clause is that noun. For example,
As a teacher, Mary could assign as many exercises as she wants.
In the above example, Mary is a teacher. But in (D), how can dolphins are humans? Please shed some light. Thank you.

Besides, searching on google, I found out that in other GMAT forums, it is said that OA is (E). I wonder what actual correct answer is??
This debatable question is from Kaplan. Should I neglect further question from this source from now on? I will appreciate your advice on this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
D is absolutely not correct. There's a big difference between "as humans" (meaning "in the role of humans") and "as humans do" (meaning "in the same way as humans"). E is the only viable answer. Don't let the word "being," which often serves as a red flag for awkward constructions, immediately put you off of any answer. There are certainly better ways than E to express the thought (how about "can be trained to communicate"?), but all the other choices are wrong.

If you want a better (official) question about dolphins, try this one. :) https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-results- ... 24015.html

Finally, thank you so much DmitryFarber.

So, just to be clear, here exists a similarity comparison instead of role/position comparison? Right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Darden '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
A case of the use of proper diction and like vs as.

a) are able to be trained to communicate as humans … are able to be is not the preferred diction. Can be or could be is the right ; drop
b) were able to be trained to communicate like humans --- were able to be is still worse uses wrong tense as well as wrong diction; drop
c) can be trained to communicate like humans can …. -[color=#0000ff]Like humans can - is a clause. Like can not be used to compare clauses.

d) could be trained to communicate as humans ---- correct choice. – As - can be used to denote positions.
e) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do --- are capable of being trained is poor diction.

Hi Daagh,

Isn't there a redundancy of possibility and could in the Option D. Kindly clarify my doubt. Thanks!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
mkabra123 wrote:
Hi Daagh,

Isn't there a redundancy of possibility and could in the Option D. Kindly clarify my doubt. Thanks!

Hi mkabra123 ,

Yes, that's true. I am also doubtful about this option. Ideally possibility and could should not have come together as it leads to redundancy.

But remember our aim is always to select the best possible option. Hence, D is the best possible answer.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pulkitsharma9991, the distinction you're making isn't one I use a rule for. I think what you're asking is whether the comparison with "as" is serving to say that two things work in similar ways or to say that two things appear in similar roles/capacities. It's definitely the first. We are comparing the way that dolphins communicate with the way humans communicate. Or, more precisely, we are saying that dolphins might learn to use the same method of communication that we use. If we were comparing roles, we'd be saying that dolphins fill a similar role to ours, and there's no indication of such a role in the sentence. However, D absurdly suggests that dolphins might communicate "as humans." This would mean that dolphins were actually *being* humans. It's the same way one might say that "I act as an intermediary" or "soy milk can be used as a substitute for dairy milk." Notice that in these cases, I actually *am* an intermediary and soy milk really *is* a substitute. Dolphins are not really humans, so D is quite impossible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
DmitryFarber wrote:
pulkitsharma9991, the distinction you're making isn't one I use a rule for. I think what you're asking is whether the comparison with "as" is serving to say that two things work in similar ways or to say that two things appear in similar roles/capacities. It's definitely the first. We are comparing the way that dolphins communicate with the way humans communicate. Or, more precisely, we are saying that dolphins might learn to use the same method of communication that we use. If we were comparing roles, we'd be saying that dolphins fill a similar role to ours, and there's no indication of such a role in the sentence. However, D absurdly suggests that dolphins might communicate "as humans." This would mean that dolphins were actually *being* humans. It's the same way one might say that "I act as an intermediary" or "soy milk can be used as a substitute for dairy milk." Notice that in these cases, I actually *am* an intermediary and soy milk really *is* a substitute. Dolphins are not really humans, so D is quite impossible.

DmitryFarber Agreed Sir. We are talking about similarity here. The rule I followed was when as occurs for similarities, it should occur with a verb(which isn't present in D). Hence, E. I hope my logic is right.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ah, I see what you're saying. The way I think of the rule, "as" compares clauses, so we come to the same conclusion: the verb "do" is needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
A B and D are completely wrong.‘as humans’ means ‘in the role of humans’ not ‘as humans communicate’, which is what the sentence wants to say.

C also changes the meaning ‘like humans can’ means ‘can be trained to communicate, in the same way humans can be trained’. Also like isn’t supposed to precede a clause.

E is the right answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Quote:

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Read the Original Sentence Carefully, Looking for Errors:

The term “as humans” in the underlined portion indicates that the sentence may contain a comparison error. The term "as” indicates action or passage of time, but “as humans” leaves the action undefined and is erroneous. The reader could be left wondering, "as humans what? As humans can be trained? As humans can communicate?" It's not clear.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

A quick scan of the end of each answer choice reveals that (A), (B), and (D) contain the error noted in Step 1. (C) and (E) add a verb to the end of the “as” phrase.

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

(A), (B), and (D) can be eliminated because they contain the error noted. (C) does not clarify the vague comparison. By adding the "can" at the end, the reader could still wonder, "like humans can what? Be trained? Communicate?" Eliminate (C).

(E) uses the comparison "as humans do" to make it clear that the sentence is referring to how humans communicate. "Do" could only refer to communicate. Humans do communicate. It makes no sense to say humans "do be trained." (E) is correct.

TAKEAWAY: Keep asking whether the answer choice you are examining truly provides the clarity needed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Ah, I see what you're saying. The way I think of the rule, "as" compares clauses, so we come to the same conclusion: the verb "do" is needed.

What about ellipsis? "Researchers have explored the possibility that dolphins are able to be trained to communicate as humans [are able to be trained to communicate"]. Isn't it implied that way?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Expert Reply
COMPARISONS

THEORY: If we use "AS" to set a comparison, we must compare CLAUSES!!

A) are able to be trained to communicate as humans ------- The word "able" implies intention, which animals don't usually have. Besides, "as humans" is wrong, since we need a verb to set the comparison.

B) were able to be trained to communicate as humans -------- Verb tense "Were" is wrong, and "as humans" needs a verb to set the comparison.

C) can be trained to communicate like humans can --------- "Like" cannot link clauses; therefore, "can" is incorrect.

D) could be trained to communicate as humans ----------- "As humans" needs a verb to set the comparison.

E) are capable of being trained to communicate as humans do ----------- CORRECT .
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts