Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink]
I got the retina display macbook pro and I love it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
goblue04 wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Thinkpad X230 or T430s?

I think im set on the Lenovo. I like the ease of upgrades (plan to upgrade to 8gb ram and SSD post purchase) and the reliability and build quality im just not sure if I can work on a 12.5" screen when away from home (assuming a dock setup with monitors at home).

Any suggestions would be apprecaited.

For the past two years I've been using a Thinkpad X201 (12.5" size, like the one you're considering) and it's great. The keyboard is full-size and comfortable to type on. The size of the trackpad might be something you want to think about, unless you use the signature Thinkpad trackpoint like I do. The screen is big enough to comfortably look at two documents side-by-side, yet small enough to use easily in any situation, even on planes. Plus you get the benefit of great battery life (and light weight) with the 12.5" screen.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I use a MacBook air and it gets the job done fine. Also great for carrying around.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HP Pavilion DV6-7012TX laptop is powered by 2nd generation Intel Core i5-2450M Processor which has 3.10 GHz speed. HP Pavilion DV6-7012TX laptop is featured with 6 GB DDR3 RAM and 640 GB Hard disk drive. HP Pavilion DV6-7012TX laptop is perfect to watch the movies and is also soothing for eyes as it comes equipped with 15.6 Inch Widescreen BrightView LED-backlit Display offering 1366 x 768 Pixels Resolution. HP Pavilion DV6-7012TX laptop runs on Window 7 Home Premium Operating System. HP Pavilion DV6-7012TX laptop has Integrated 2 GB gDDR3 NVIDIA GeForce 630M graphics card.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I use a MacBook air now and it runs great. Awesome!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have a quick question concerning the usage of MacBookPro (which I have and would like to use):
- How does it work with excel? Do you have to substitute the analysis kit or is it included in the new office version?
- How about data transfer from mac to pc. Does the data not get mixed up sometimes? You probably have to do it a lot between your class mates so I just want to ensure that my mac does not become a burden.
- Same for powerpoint presentations, does it work in practice without bad surprises?
- Is there anything else I have to keep in mind?

Thanks for your help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
LasseSchmid wrote:
I have a quick question concerning the usage of MacBookPro (which I have and would like to use):
- How does it work with excel? Do you have to substitute the analysis kit or is it included in the new office version?
- How about data transfer from mac to pc. Does the data not get mixed up sometimes? You probably have to do it a lot between your class mates so I just want to ensure that my mac does not become a burden.
- Same for powerpoint presentations, does it work in practice without bad surprises?
- Is there anything else I have to keep in mind?

Thanks for your help

bump.

curious about these questions as well, as I am currently in the hunt for a laptop
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
I would wait to purchase a laptop until after you've committed to a school. Certain schools have "suggested" laptop requirements that will make your life a lot easier. For instance, although I love Macs, transferring Microsoft Office files from Mac to PC can cause a headache because formatting can change during the transfer. Moreover, certain schools require you to install software on your laptop that might not be compatible with Mac (without the use of something like Parallels).

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
vinash: kumar
Send PM
i have dell notebook, i.e Dell "CORE i7" really a nice feeling with it...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
I'm thinking a thinkpad, but not sure which series yet. Just to note, do not spend the money on Office 2010, it looks like most schools offer the student version, or a free version through their stores.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V42
Send PM
I've been using Windows PCs for ages, and switched to a Mac Air about 6 months ago. TBH, while the battery life and weight of the machine are phenomenal, I have missed the easy compatibility options of Windows (and knowing where everything is!). For example, writing to external hard drives from the Mac isn't always possible, unless you download other software to overcome this limitation.

Office for Mac is a great package, but it doesn't always have the features that the Windows version does. I think you can get around most limitations, but I really don't want to have to do that while working late on an assignment at Business School.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
goblue04 wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Thinkpad X230 or T430s?

I think im set on the Lenovo. I like the ease of upgrades (plan to upgrade to 8gb ram and SSD post purchase) and the reliability and build quality im just not sure if I can work on a 12.5" screen when away from home (assuming a dock setup with monitors at home).

Any suggestions would be apprecaited.

The X230 is a fantastic machine, based off my experience with the X220. The IPS screen and keyboard are very good. The only problem is that the fan gives an error from time to time during boot - a quick shot of air from a duster fixes it though. The small screen and lack of HDMI-out were undesirable, but on the other hand it's very portable. I'd either go with Lenovo or get an Asus ultrabook.

On the other hand, any people use a tablet exclusively when not at home for b-school?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
twist is on sale at staples for 699...

so tempting
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Law)
Send PM
Sort of piggybacking on prior posts, but not entirely -- has anyone "gone against" a school's suggested laptop? What were the results? In particular, has anyone stuck with a Macbook Pro in the face of PC recommendations? I'm strictly Mac and I'd really rather not purchase a PC if it's not absolutely essential...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
I'm absolutely a PC guy (i.e. never used a Mac besides making a fool of myself on my friends' Macs), but I'm considering getting a MacBook Air or something more portable. Not sure if it's the right move considering how much we would need to use MS Office though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I mean, you can totally use MS Office on a Mac... and the Air is amazing... Just sayin'... ;-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If you're strictly PC, would also consider a tablet or an iPad with a separate bluetooth keyboard, btw...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7