Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [84]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9238 [28]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [17]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: At a restaurant, a group of friends ordered four main dishes [#permalink]
Kudos
chiknichameleon wrote:
I have just started my prep... I need to enroll for MGMAT courses.. ..are these paid MGMAT classes.... ? Any feedback....

Yeap! they are good.

Visit, for more info, https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep-programs.cfm
And
for more feedback, manhattan-gmat-class-discount-everything-about-mgmat-84213.html

All the best!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3091 [5]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
thebigr002 wrote:
At a restaurant, a group of friends ordered four main dishes and three side dishes at a total cost of $89. The prices of the seven items, in dollars, were all different integers, and every main dish cost more than every side dish. What was the price, in dollars, of the most expensive side dish?

(1) The most expensive main dish cost $16.

(2) The least expensive side dish cost $9.

From the F.S 1, we know that the price of the most expensive side dish is 16. Let me assume that the price of the costliest side dish(call it r) is 15. Is this possible? No as because every main dish cost more than every side dish. Thus, if I were to have a side dish costing 15, this will contradict the given statement. Now lets assume that the side dish costs 14. Again, not possible. Thus, the costliest side dish can have a value only below 13. Now, we know that 16+15+14+13 = 58. Thus, the sum of the remaining three dishes is 89-58 = 31. Now, again, the price of the cheapest and the second cheapest side dishes be x and y respectively.Ans we know that x,y and r are different integers.Also, 31-(x+y) = r has to be less than 13. Thus, 31-(x+y)<13 or (x+y)>18.

For r = 31-(x+y),put all values for (x+y) more than 18.

For x+y = 19, r = 12.

As you keep on increasing the value for (x+y), the value of r will decrease. Thus, the value of r = 12. Also, for any other value of (x+y), the highest value will always come out to be 12. Sufficient.

From F.S 2, we have that x = 9. We can have y=10, r = 11. The price of the main dishes can be 17,15,14,13 to give a total of 89 dollars.Again, for y=8, r= 12, we have the price of the other dishes to be 18,15,14,13. Not Sufficient as the value of r is not fixed.

A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
each dish was a different integer.
each main dish cost more than any side dish

St1: Most expensive main dish = 16
lets say other 3 main dish cost 15, 14 and 13
that leaves 31 to be divided between 3 side dishes.
maximum price of a side dish can be 12 as 13 is the least expensive main dish
so side dishes could be priced 12, 11 and 8

Consider another scenario:
lets say most exp MD costs 16 and three other MD costs 14,12 and 10
that leaves 37 for 3 SD. This cannot be the case since all side dished must cost less than 10 (minimum cost of any main dish)

and 1 more scenario:
so its established that the 4 MD cost 16, 15, 14 and 13 leaving 31 for three SD.
lets say most exp side dish SD3 cost 11 that leaves 20 for SD1 and SD2
To get 20, one price must be greater than 10 and it cant be 11 (since no 2 dish cost the same) and in that case it could be 12 and 8 or 13 and 7 BUT then 11 wont be the most expensive.

So the only option left for the most expensive side dish = 12.
Sufficient.
Ans A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
I understood that most problems are built using some core concepts. This one might be based on sum of consecutive integers

If we look at 91 = 13 * 7 and problem talks about 7 numbers and if we are able to connect the consecutive integers with this formula (I know lots of ifs)

Then 13 * 7 = (a1+an)/2 * n (number of terms in the sequence of consecutive integers where a1 is the first term and an is the last term)

Now if we take statement one and plug in 16 for an , this gives a1= 10; So if any answer would bound either the first term in the series or the last term in the series (10 or 16), then the second extreme and hence all numbers get fixed.

Hence D as both 1 and 2 bind the upper and lower extremes of the consecutive integers sequence

This was the only way I could think of to complete this in less than 2 minutes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
thebigr002 wrote:
At a restaurant, a group of friends ordered four main dishes and three side dishes at a total cost of $89. The prices of the seven items, in dollars, were all different integers, and every main dish cost more than every side dish. What was the price, in dollars, of the most expensive side dish?

This was one of the questions that I encountered in MGMAT's tests.

MGMAT has provided a pretty good explanation for the answer. But I don't seem to understand it.
Kindly explain.
Also, I would like to know whether such time consuming questions appear on the real test or not. This question would take an average person like me almost 3 minutes to solve, even after I knew the underlying principle.

Explanation provided by MGMAT is in the spoiler. Please refer to it in case you can try and simply things down for me. Thanks.. :)

There are seven different dishes (4 main dishes and 3 side dishes), each with a different integer cost; we cannot use just two variables to represent the two types of dishes. Each of the four main dishes is more expensive than any of the side dishes. The seven dishes add up to $89. The question asks for the price of the most expensive side dish.

(1) SUFFICIENT: Since this problem involves 7 different integers, some of which must be larger than others, it's a good idea to test extreme possibilities. We're told that the most expensive main dish is $16 so we'll also try maximizing the cost of the other three: $15, $14, and $13. In this case, the total cost of the four main dishes is $58, leaving $31 to split among the three side dishes. The prices of the three side dishes must be different integers and all must cost less than $13. Again, try maximum values first: if two side dishes cost $12 and $11, then the third must cost $8. What other possibilities exist that will still add to $31? 11 + 10 + 9 adds only to $30, so we have to keep $12 in the set. It turns out that there's one other possible combination: the three side dishes could cost $12, $10, and $9. In either case, the most expensive side dish costs $12.

Is it possible to get a value other than $12? Let's try to change the values for the main dishes. We can't make the main dishes more expensive, but we can take away $1 from the least expensive main dish; perhaps the most expensive side dish will become more expensive than $12. The next largest possible set of main dish prices are $16, $15, $14, and $12, for a total of $57. This leaves $32 for the three side dishes - but that value is impossible to achieve. The side dishes must cost less than the least-expensive main dish ($12), so the largest possible cost for the three side dishes is $11 + $10 + $9 = $30.

It's impossible, therefore, for the main dishes to cost anything other than $16, $15, $14, and $13. As a result, the most expensive side dish must cost $12.

(2) NOT SUFFICIENT: Since this problem involves 7 different integers, some of which must be larger than others, it's a good idea to test extreme possibilities. We're told that the least expensive side dish costs $9, so this time we'll try minimizing the cost of the other two: $10, and $11. The side dishes cost a total of $30, leaving $59 for the main dishes. That total can be achieved in many ways; for instance, the main dishes could cost $12, $13, $14, and $20. In this scenario, the most expensive side dish is $11. Are there any other possible values?

Let's try increasing the price of the most expensive side dish by $1: say the side dishes now cost $9, $10, and $12. That's a total of $31 for the side dishes, leaving $58 for the main dishes. That total can be achieved, exactly, if the main dishes cost $13, $14, $15, and $16. Therefore, the most expensive side dish can also cost $12. We have at least two possible values, $11 and $12, so this information is not sufficient to answer the question.

The correct answer is A.

This problem is best solved by simply listing values and doing the math. So if we start with statement (1), then we can work our way backward:

$16 $15 $14 $13 $12 $11 $10

We know that the sum of these prices is $91. We can't increase the maximum price of the most expensive side dish ($12) because we would start a ripple effect that would make the most expensive dish more expensive than the given information. We can't reduce the price of the most expensive side dish because then the total would not add up to $91. We can't make the second most-expensive side dish compensate by increasing its price by 1 and decreasing the most expensive side dish's price by 1, because then the second-most would become the most-expensive side dish. Only one possible value exists.

For statement (2), we can use a similar approach. If we start at $10 and work our way upwards, then we notice that there is only one possible value for the most expensive side dish. If we increase the price of the most expensive side dish, then we cannot reduce the prices elsewhere to make up for it. There is no "wiggle room." If we increase the price of every other dish by 1 (or even if we increase the price of 1 dish by 1), then the total would be greater than $91. Sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.9
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
thebigr002 wrote:

This was one of the questions that I encountered in MGMAT's tests.

MGMAT has provided a pretty good explanation for the answer. But I don't seem to understand it.
Kindly explain.
Also, I would like to know whether such time consuming questions appear on the real test or not. This question would take an average person like me almost 3 minutes to solve, even after I knew the underlying principle.

Explanation provided by MGMAT is in the spoiler. Please refer to it in case you can try and simply things down for me. Thanks.. :)

There are seven different dishes (4 main dishes and 3 side dishes), each with a different integer cost; we cannot use just two variables to represent the two types of dishes. Each of the four main dishes is more expensive than any of the side dishes. The seven dishes add up to $89. The question asks for the price of the most expensive side dish.

(1) SUFFICIENT: Since this problem involves 7 different integers, some of which must be larger than others, it's a good idea to test extreme possibilities. We're told that the most expensive main dish is $16 so we'll also try maximizing the cost of the other three: $15, $14, and $13. In this case, the total cost of the four main dishes is $58, leaving $31 to split among the three side dishes. The prices of the three side dishes must be different integers and all must cost less than $13. Again, try maximum values first: if two side dishes cost $12 and $11, then the third must cost $8. What other possibilities exist that will still add to $31? 11 + 10 + 9 adds only to $30, so we have to keep $12 in the set. It turns out that there's one other possible combination: the three side dishes could cost $12, $10, and $9. In either case, the most expensive side dish costs $12.

Is it possible to get a value other than $12? Let's try to change the values for the main dishes. We can't make the main dishes more expensive, but we can take away $1 from the least expensive main dish; perhaps the most expensive side dish will become more expensive than $12. The next largest possible set of main dish prices are $16, $15, $14, and $12, for a total of $57. This leaves $32 for the three side dishes - but that value is impossible to achieve. The side dishes must cost less than the least-expensive main dish ($12), so the largest possible cost for the three side dishes is $11 + $10 + $9 = $30.

It's impossible, therefore, for the main dishes to cost anything other than $16, $15, $14, and $13. As a result, the most expensive side dish must cost $12.

(2) NOT SUFFICIENT: Since this problem involves 7 different integers, some of which must be larger than others, it's a good idea to test extreme possibilities. We're told that the least expensive side dish costs $9, so this time we'll try minimizing the cost of the other two: $10, and $11. The side dishes cost a total of $30, leaving $59 for the main dishes. That total can be achieved in many ways; for instance, the main dishes could cost $12, $13, $14, and $20. In this scenario, the most expensive side dish is $11. Are there any other possible values?

Let's try increasing the price of the most expensive side dish by $1: say the side dishes now cost $9, $10, and $12. That's a total of $31 for the side dishes, leaving $58 for the main dishes. That total can be achieved, exactly, if the main dishes cost $13, $14, $15, and $16. Therefore, the most expensive side dish can also cost $12. We have at least two possible values, $11 and $12, so this information is not sufficient to answer the question.

The correct answer is A.

Bunuel Can you suggest a better approach to this question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: ESSEC '22
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Most expensive side dish = ???

Clues from the question stem:
1) 4 main dishes and 3 side dishes
2) Total cost of $89
3) The prices of the seven items, in dollars, were all different integers
4) Every main dish costs more than every side dish

We know the total cost of the bill is $89 and each Main dish is more expensive than every side dish

MD 1 = 16 ( from 1)
MD 2 = 15 (cost of all dishes are different)
MD 3 = 14
MD 4 = 13
Total = 58

SD1=12 Every main dish costs more than every side dish. Side Dish Amount has to be less than 13 because
SD2 = 10
SD3 = 9
Total = 31

MD + Sd = 89 Sufficient

There is no upper limit
Sd may cost, 9, 10 , 11 or 9 11 12

Two possibilities, Not sufficient
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

Why is option B not sufficient??

My reasoning:-

Least expensive dish is 9$ and all the dish amount are different integer values. We have to find highest value of side dish . So we have to minimize all other dish price.

Side dish price after minimization: 9,10,x (Least expensive dish is 9$ given as per St2 and X is most expensive price of side dish)
Main dish price after minimization:-X+1,X+2,X+3,X+4

So 9+10+X+X+1+X+2+X+3+X+4=89
5X+29=89
5X=60
X=12

Therefore,X=12 is the most expensive price of the side dish .

Where am I going wrong??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: ESSEC '22
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
At a restaurant, a group of friends ordered four main dishes [#permalink]