Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6618 [259]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [88]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [14]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier [#permalink]
Kudos
straight (B)
(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [11]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
betterscore wrote:
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?

(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.
(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.
(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.
(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often

Its important to note that, answering a verbal question is more like negating all the wrong answers.

stimulus: bamboo strong as steel and sturdier than concrete, tropic areas they are < expensive. So, where land values are high,we cannot use bamboo.
But using bamboo should be economical. But why not?
a. earthquake - irrelevant. question is clearly talking about economical and bamboos
b. Bamboo unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings. - could make sense. Higher land values, more multistory buildings. No bamboo. explains.
c. again irrelevant - [you cannot connect termites with high land values]
d. so what they use for scaffolding. it still doesnt talk about constructing buildings.
e. again irrelevant - so if land values are increasing and bamboo growing. doesnt talk about bamboo being used for constructing buildings

Please also note in such type of questions - the above is explained by which of the following types, usually NEW INFORMATION is better suited.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1074 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
 Q48  V32
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
I picked up C over B, because thought, ther is an additional cost, so high land values + additional expense => could be a deterrrent for using bamboo on high value lands

Now, i see that "some" is not a favorable "adj" to be chosen as a correct option

Cheers
GODSPEED
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [6]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Bamboo is stronger than steel and strudier than concrete. In tropical areas, bamboo is cheap and readily available. Hence this is a good option to build expect when land values are high.

When land values are high, it is always a viable option to build multi-storeyed buildings to provide more living area.

B. Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings - Provides the link to connect premise and conclusion. - Correct
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [7]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Somehow,I am not at all with the solution that OG gave:

Following is an extract from OG-13 Solution Q94:
Multistory buildings are particularly desirable in areas where land values are high, but
bamboo may not be suitable for such buildings.

Now where in the stimulus there is mention of the above reasoning ?

It is just that we are assuming and that isn't allowed in GMAT CR?

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Target,

It is given in the answer 'B', the whole point of this sort of question is evaluating which of the options provides EXTRA information that helps explain the paradox in the passage.

So which of the answers A-E gives additional info that would explain why Bamboo is not used. Answer B does that so is correct.

James
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [40]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Sorry to say still nobody has answered my query.

In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Paradox is even if BAMBOO makes economic sense then why IT is not used in where land values are high

How can we assume here that places where LAND VALUES ARE HIGH we will find MULTISTORY BUILDINGS.

Places where LAND VALUES are high can be the places where there are BUNGALOWS or may be the land values could be high because "Very important People" are living there.

How could we relate HIGH LAND VALUES with MULTISTORY.

I contradict the reasoning of common sense as given by other members in this post.

Plz Advice !!

Rgds,
TGC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1328 [4]
Given Kudos: 31
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Sorry to say still nobody has answered my query.

In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Paradox is even if BAMBOO makes economic sense then why IT is not used in where land values are high

How can we assume here that places where LAND VALUES ARE HIGH we will find MULTISTORY BUILDINGS.

Places where LAND VALUES are high can be the places where there are BUNGALOWS or may be the land values could be high because "Very important People" are living there.

How could we relate HIGH LAND VALUES with MULTISTORY.

I contradict the reasoning of common sense as given by other members in this post.

Plz Advice !!

Rgds,
TGC

I sort of agree with your reasoning that high land values does always equate to multi-storey, for example not every building in Monte Carlo (one of THE most expensive places per sqft in the world) is a multi-storey building. So yes, although it may seem like a logical conclusion, it is not a given that high land values equates to only multi-storey buildings. BUT, looking at all the other options you will have to select a possible answer.

I suppose GMAT is also testing your skill of eliminating the wrong choices and in this case after the process of elimination you are left with B. It may not be the best possible answer but of the 5 choices it is.

Hope that makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
betterscore wrote:
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?

(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.
(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.
(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.

I haven't seen such a question type where the GMAT boldly asks you to think why for a particular argument.
A) Strengthens the case.
B) Bingo ! this has high probability of being the answer.
C)hmm..doesn't answer our case. Irrelevant.
D)Doesn't answer out question in any way. Out.
E)Incomplete Answer choice.

B wins.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '18
Send PM
Kudos
I don't know whether my reply still counts or not. But why has everyone rejected Option E. The question clearly states:

"Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available."

"Is readily available".So if Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction means Bamboo is not available readily. Hence it is not viable to use.

This makes more sense to me rather than simply assuming high land value = multi storey building.

Bluelagoon wrote:
betterscore wrote:

I haven't seen such a question type where the GMAT boldly asks you to think why for a particular argument.
A) Strengthens the case.
B) Bingo ! this has high probability of being the answer.
C)hmm..doesn't answer our case. Irrelevant.
D)Doesn't answer out question in any way. Out.
E)Incomplete Answer choice.

B wins.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [12]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos