Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4041 [242]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [87]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [38]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [3]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome such as [#permalink]
Kudos
emmak wrote:
There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome – such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs.
A)such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs
B)like the Asian carp that have threatened an invasion of Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
C)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger, more vicious, and are mounted on four legs
D)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
E)such as the Asian carp that threaten to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger and more vicious, and mounted on four legs

Asian carp is shown as an example here, so why not use such as?
some one please explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome such as [#permalink]
Kudos
I chose option D.

One can eliminate options B & E because they use the wrong form of 'threaten' which needs to be in the present tense in accordance with the given sentence "there is general agreement..."

Between A, C & D - Option D is the most concise & simple form that also happens to be correct grammatically. Option A is clearly wrong because of its usage of " , but that are far larger ..." because it intereferes with the parallelism. I felt C & D were close but D did the job in fewer words!

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [13]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
pqhai wrote:
First, "such as" vs "like".
The intended meaning is the FACT "feral swine are unwelcome" is like the FACT "Asian carp are unwelcome in Lake Michigan".
Clearly, Asian carp is not an example of feral swine.
In addition, "such as" refers examples of the same category. For example: I love eating Asian fish such as catfish and Asian carp.
So, A and E are out.

Second, Present perfect VS simple present/progressive.
B is wrong because present perfect tense is wrongly used. Because we want to mention two similar facts ==> simple present / progressive is correct
C is also wrong because the usage of "are" is redundant. For example: She is tall and is smart ==> the second "is" is not necessary and should be eliminated.

D is correct, the structure is "X are unwelcome BUT far larger......:
"feral swine are unwelcome but far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs"

Hope it helps.

I second ankurgupta03, I do not like this question at all.

I just wanna point out a thing that is not correct from your explanation:
the sentence : "She is tall and is smart" is perfectly correct and there is no better choice between that one and "She is tall and smart ".

This is a parallelism problem: generally speaking the parallel structure has some "signal words" that tell you where the parallel structure begins and ends.
"Both _X_ and _Y_" in this case the X and Y part MUST be parallel, because they are contained between the signal-words "both/and".

In your example there is no "starting" point for the parallelism. What I mean is that to identify a proper parallel structure you start from the "signal"-and-, look to the right
She is tall and is smart
and ask your self: is that part matched in the previous part? Yes, by "is tall"- same structure.

Also "She is tall and smart" is correct as smart is matched by tall.
Since here the parallelism has no predefined starting point, both are correct.

If your sentence were "She is both tall and smart", only this option would be correct because "both" tells you that the parallel structure begins from the adj tall, which is matched by the adj smart.

Hope it's clear
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
you have to know that a carp is not a type of swine (pig) in order to rule out "such as"

D. is the best option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
It is clear that this is a comparison, not a list of examples - discard A and E.

threatened an invasion - awkward :) B is discarded

C has "are" but no subject for it, discarded as well.

D is the only option left
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
use such as when you have more than one example to list otherwise use like for nouns and as for clauses
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
For non-native speaker, this one is really hard. First, what is carp? and second: is it a swine?
In order to kick out such as or like, you are quite stuck...

nevertheless, I have a question here:

Why chose D over C? because for me C has a better comparison: Zombies are funny but ARE dead

Can somone explain here plz?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos