Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [180]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [99]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618866 [48]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [3]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective constant [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
i am little confused. If i take slower pump as X then 1/X + 1/1.5X = 1/4 which would result X = 20/3 and so faster pump as 10..... where i am going wrong...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618866 [7]
Send PM
Re: Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective constant [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
i am little confused. If i take slower pump as X then 1/X + 1/1.5X = 1/4 which would result X = 20/3 and so faster pump as 10..... where i am going wrong...

In my solution x is the rate in your solution x is the time.

In your solution x is the time of the faster pump and 1.5x is the time of the slower pump (faster pump needs less time).

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [9]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
kmasonbx wrote:
Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective constant rates, took exactly four hours to fill a certain swimming pool. If the constant rate of one pump was 1.5 times the constant rate of the other, how many hours would it have taken the faster pump to fill the pool if it had worked alone at it's constant rate?

A. 5
B. 16/3
C. 11/2
D. 6
E. 20/3

Work rate problems are my weakest area. For whatever reason I get mixed up on these problem. Even knowing the answer to this question I can't figure out how it comes out to that answer. Any help would be great, thanks!

sol:

Rates be A and B

(A+B) * Time = Work
(A+B) * 4 = 1 ---->eq 1

A= 3B/2 ----->eq 2

substituting eq 2 in eq 1

B = 1/10 --->eq 3

substituting eq 3 in eq 2

A= 3/20

Time= work/rate
= 1/(3/20) =>20/3
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I did,
A+B = 4
A = 1.5B

4-B = 1.5B => B = 8/5

Why is this wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618866 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skag55 wrote:
I did,
A+B = 4
A = 1.5B

4-B = 1.5B => B = 8/5

Why is this wrong?

We are told that "two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective constant rates, took exactly four hours to fill a certain swimming pool".

If one pump needs A hours to fill the pool (rate=1/A) and another need B hours to fill the same pool (rate=1/B), then 1/A + 1/B = 1/4.

Solving 1/A + 1/B = 1/4 and A = 1.5B gives A=10 and B=20/3.

Check the links provided here: two-water-pumps-working-simultaneously-at-their-respective-155865.html#p1245761 for more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
kmasonbx wrote:
Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective constant rates, took exactly four hours to fill a certain swimming pool. If the constant rate of one pump was 1.5 times the constant rate of the other, how many hours would it have taken the faster pump to fill the pool if it had worked alone at it's constant rate?

A. 5
B. 16/3
C. 11/2
D. 6
E. 20/3

Work rate problems are my weakest area. For whatever reason I get mixed up on these problem. Even knowing the answer to this question I can't figure out how it comes out to that answer. Any help would be great, thanks!

fast pump takes x hour
Slow pump takes 1.5x hour

so

1/x+1/1.5x = 1/4

> (1.5+1)/1.5x = 1/4
> 2.5/1.5x = 1/4
> 1.5 x = 10
>x = 10/1.5
>x = 20/3

Somebody confirm whether this is a right approach to do this type of problem or not. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V27
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
How would you solve this problem by saying the faster pump 1.5x and slower x. I cant seem to figure that out.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [4]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
xLUCAJx wrote:
How would you solve this problem by saying the faster pump 1.5x and slower x. I cant seem to figure that out.

Plug in some values-
Attachment:
Plug in.PNG
Plug in.PNG [ 2 KiB | Viewed 93297 times ]

Quote:
Two water pumps, working simultaneously at their respective constant rates, took exactly four hours to fill a certain swimming pool.

Capacity of the swimming pool is -

5*4 = 20

Quote:
how many hours would it have taken the faster pump to fill the pool if it had worked alone at it's constant rate?

The faster pump is pump B, so time required by fill the swimming pool alone will be = Total Capacity of the pool/Efficiency of Pipe B

20/3

Hence answer is (E)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6272 [3]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kmasonbx wrote:

A. 5
B. 16/3
C. 11/2
D. 6
E. 20/3

We are given that the rate of 1 pump is 1.5 times faster than the rate of the other pump. Since 1 pool is being filled and rate = work/time, the rate of the faster pump is 1/x, in which x = the time it takes for the faster pump to fill the pool, and the rate of the slower pump = 1/(1.5x) = 1/(3x/2) = 2/3x.

Since when the pumps work together they take 4 hours to fill 1 pool, we can create the following equation:

work of faster pump + work of slower pump = 1

(1/x)4 + (2/3x)4 = 1

4/x + 8/3x = 1

Multiplying the entire equation by 3x, we have:

12 + 8 = 3x

20 = 3x

20/3 = x

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
kmasonbx wrote:

A. 5
B. 16/3
C. 11/2
D. 6
E. 20/3

Say the rate of the faster pump is x pool/hour, then the rate of the slower pump would be x/1.5=2x/3 pool/hour.

Since, the combined rate is 1/4 pool/hour, then we have that x+2x/3=1/4 --> x=3/20 pool hour.

The time is reciprocal of the rate, therefore it would take 20/3 hours the faster pump to fill the pool working alone.

Answer: E.

Theory on work/rate problems: https://gmatclub.com/forum/work-word-pro ... 87357.html

All DS work/rate problems to practice: https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?se ... &tag_id=46
All PS work/rate problems to practice: https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?se ... &tag_id=66

I'm having trouble seeing how you got x= 3/20 from x+2x = 1/4. Do you mind showing step by step? thank you!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618866 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rnz wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kmasonbx wrote:

A. 5
B. 16/3
C. 11/2
D. 6
E. 20/3

Say the rate of the faster pump is x pool/hour, then the rate of the slower pump would be x/1.5=2x/3 pool/hour.

Since, the combined rate is 1/4 pool/hour, then we have that x+2x/3=1/4 --> x=3/20 pool hour.

The time is reciprocal of the rate, therefore it would take 20/3 hours the faster pump to fill the pool working alone.

Answer: E.

I'm having trouble seeing how you got x= 3/20 from x+2x = 1/4. Do you mind showing step by step? thank you!!

\(x+\frac{2x}{3}=\frac{1}{4}\);

\(\frac{3x+2x}{3}=\frac{1}{4}\);

\(\frac{5x}{3}=\frac{1}{4}\);

\(20x=3\);

\(x=\frac{3}{20}\).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM