Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [35]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [12]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster '17
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Send PM
Re: Many of us complain about rising fuel prices, but a measure-for-measur [#permalink]
Kudos
Statements that are compared need to be logically parallel. When you say, " a coffee cup of gas costs roughly 10% of a latte" it sounds like you're comparing the gas 'cost' to a 'latte'. But you want to compare gas 'cost' to coffee 'cost'

So you require the 'does' at the end to refer back to the cost
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Many of us complain about rising fuel prices, but a measure-for-measur [#permalink]
The best way to approach is to do it by Split approach, based on 2-3 split we should be able to remove few answer choices. Doing so will make the solutions here more organized and future readers will benefit from it, Like in quant threads Bunuel is so systematic and precise that he gives the best answer choice here.

This is the best way to approach GMAT, However in these threads I have noticed that most of the time, answers are approached first and elimination is not paid attention. I have solved this question correctly, But I posted as it was new question so that other can get benefit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 250
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
honchos wrote:
Many of us complain about rising fuel prices, but a measure-for-measure comparison is sobering: a coffee cup of gas costs roughly 10% of a latte.

1. a coffee cup of gas costs roughly 10% of a latte
2. a coffee cup of gas costs roughly 10% what a latte does
3. a coffee cup of gas costs roughly 10% as compared to a latte
4. the cost of a coffee cup of gas is roughly 10% of a latte
5. the cost of a coffee cup of gas is roughly 10% as compared to a latte

Can any Expert Explain this?

Dear honchos,
Because of your p.m., I will respond, even though there already are some excellent responses above. :-) BTW, the choices in a high quality GMAT SC should be (A) - (E), not (1) - (5).

Whether the beginning is "a cup of coffees costs" or "the cost of a cup of coffee is", what follows must be a price. For example, both of the following would be grammatically & logically correct.
(i) A cup of coffees costs $5.00.
(ii) The cost of a cup of coffee is $5.00.
Of course, in this sentence, we are not given a dollar amount --- what the sentence is trying to say is that the price is 1/10 of the price of a latte. Once I saw that the beginning of the sentence required a price at the end, I just scanned the endings looking for something that constitutes a legitimate dollar-amount price
(A) & (D) ..... 10% of a latte --- that's a quantity of liquid, not a price
(B) ..... what a latte does ---- here, the "substitute verb" "does" stands in for the verb at the beginning of the sentence, "costs", and "what a latte costs" is a legitimate dollar-amount price. This works. Incidentally, on this grammatical structure, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/repeating- ... -the-gmat/
In (C) & (E), the "as compared to a latte" structure is problematic. We could logically say "As compared to a latte, a coffee cup of gasoline is more/less". The structure "10% as compared to ..." is particular ambiguous ---- 10% more? less? of? This structure is a grammatical and logical trainwreck, so these two answers are incorrect.

The only answer that works is (B).

I really like this question. It is a high quality question with a clear right answer and good tempting wrong answers. It's not the first time that I have been impressed with a Veritas question.

BTW, re: the content --- I remember seeing an email, about a decade ago --- "Do you think the price of gas is high?" ---- then they listed a number of other common liquids ---- juice, salad dressing, Starbucks, beer, wine, etc., typical prices in units of cost/gallon, and they were all more than the price of gas; the topper of the list was some Britney Spears perfume that cost something like $80/ounce, so its price per gallon was well over $1000!! :-)

Mike :-)

----------------------------------------------------

Mike sir,

a cup of : Does it not necessary?

Now we compare,
a cup of gas costs // a cup of latte costs

But I can`t find 'a cup' part at the right side.

mikemcgarry
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bluetrain wrote:
Mike sir,

a cup of : Does it not necessary?

Now we compare,
a cup of gas costs // a cup of latte costs

But I can`t find 'a cup' part at the right side.

mikemcgarry

Dear bluetrain,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, my friend, I going to correct your grammar. You wrote:
Does it not necessary?
This should be
Is it not necessary?
That's a very formal phrasing. A more casual way to ask this would be:
Isn't it necessary?
You see the factual sentences would involve the verb "is":
P is necessary.
Q is not necessary.

Because we use "is" in the factual statement, we would have to use that same verb in the question.

Now, as to your question: this is a subtle issue that often confuses non-native speakers. It's perfectly true that the sentence is comparing "a cup of latte" to "a cup of gasoline." What is subtle is the following: when the same words appear in both branches of parallelism, is it correct and in fact very elegant to drop the repeated words. See:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT
In this SC question, only the word "cup" was dropped, but a large group of words can be dropped.

Consider this poorly written sentence
The turtle's primary defense against natural predators is its shell, and the skunk's primary defense against natural predators is its odor.
That's grammatically correct, but it's so repetitively awkward that it never would be correct on the GMAT. Here's the improved version.
The turtle's primary defense against natural predators is its shell, and the skunk's, its odor.
That's much more elegant, and it's 100% correct. Even though this particular subject matter is too elementary for the GMAT, this kind of sentence structure is typical of what could be correct on the GMAT SC.

Does all this make sense?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
bluetrain wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
honchos wrote:
Many of us complain about rising fuel prices, but a measure-for-measure comparison is sobering: a coffee cup of gas costs roughly 10% of a latte.

Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT
In this SC question, only the word "cup" was dropped, but a large group of words can be dropped.

Consider this poorly written sentence
The turtle's primary defense against natural predators is its shell, and the skunk's primary defense against natural predators is its odor.
That's grammatically correct, but it's so repetitively awkward that it never would be correct on the GMAT. Here's the improved version.
The turtle's primary defense against natural predators is its shell, and the skunk's, its odor.
That's much more elegant, and it's 100% correct. Even though this particular subject matter is too elementary for the GMAT, this kind of sentence structure is typical of what could be correct on the GMAT SC.

Does all this make sense?

Hi mikemcgarry,

Thank you for such an awesome explanation.
My confusion is with ellipsis. Can't D be correct? i.e the cost of a coffee cup of gas is roughly 10% the costof a latte. There are several examples (in addition to the one you mentioned above) in which tempting answers are wrong because the right answer uses an ellipsis. I chose D because of the presence of an "of" which is not a typo in B. The official question has "of" in A & D only.
How do we decide whether ellipsis has been used?

Regards
Manish
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]