Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [43]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink]
mgh234 wrote:
Blax0r wrote:
Congrats on your success, but I want to publicly dispel your theory on both the GMAT and thank-you letter reply (although i assume the 2nd one is a joke) by displaying my results (look left) as an example.

ouch man, what was your work experience?

My major stints were software engineering for financial data & analytics company for 3 years (client-facing products), and financial engineering for 2.5 years for a boston-based mutual fund.

I did also have a very short (less than a year) back-office project management role at a major bank as my first job out of college.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
Blax0r wrote:
mgh234 wrote:
Blax0r wrote:
Congrats on your success, but I want to publicly dispel your theory on both the GMAT and thank-you letter reply (although i assume the 2nd one is a joke) by displaying my results (look left) as an example.

ouch man, what was your work experience?

My major stints were software engineering for financial data & analytics company for 3 years (client-facing products), and financial engineering for 2.5 years for a boston-based mutual fund.

I did also have a very short (less than a year) back-office project management role at a major bank as my first job out of college.

Really shocked you didn't get in anywhere, your experience and GMAT are better than mine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on the Kellogg acceptance MGH!
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
bluehorseshoe87 wrote:

Thanks man, good luck on Booth tomorrow. Hopefully you can open up another duke WL spot for Farful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [2]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Kudos
mgh234 wrote:
bluehorseshoe87 wrote:

Thanks man, good luck on Booth tomorrow. Hopefully you can open up another duke WL spot for Farful.

I've had several people in chat on Tuesday tell me that they will be declining Fuqua's offer and that they will let adcom know to let 'farful' in instead. I hope they weren't joking and that this trend continues. :twisted:

Best of luck to you in Evanston! I think I've mentioned this, but have a look at this.
Director
Director
Send PM
Just to provide update to my story, I was rejected to Booth. I'm pretty happy I didn't get in, since it makes the decision easy, and I know I won't have any regrets of "maybe I should've chosen the other one..." It does show that my "does the interviewer answer your thank you note" theory is incorrect!

I'm super excited for Kellogg, which was my top choice all along, and I'm happy to answer questions any future applicants might have.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Congrats on Kellogg! I am sure that you will enjoy your next 2 years and that you will land your dream job!

Thanks for being a great support for me (and almost everyone else) over in the Anderson forum. Really appreciate your optimistic thoughts and helpful insights. Too bad we won't be going to the same school.

Now that you will be attending Kellogg, any candid opinions/last words regarding Anderson? Would be really interesting to hear :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V45
GPA: 3.64
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
Just to provide update to my story, I was rejected to Booth. I'm pretty happy I didn't get in, since it makes the decision easy, and I know I won't have any regrets of "maybe I should've chosen the other one..." It does show that my "does the interviewer answer your thank you note" theory is incorrect!

I'm super excited for Kellogg, which was my top choice all along, and I'm happy to answer questions any future applicants might have.

Maybe I'm the outlier, but the Kellogg alum who conducted my off-campus interview never answered my thank you note.
Director
Director
Send PM
mukakucing wrote:
Congrats on Kellogg! I am sure that you will enjoy your next 2 years and that you will land your dream job!

Thanks for being a great support for me (and almost everyone else) over in the Anderson forum. Really appreciate your optimistic thoughts and helpful insights. Too bad we won't be going to the same school.

Now that you will be attending Kellogg, any candid opinions/last words regarding Anderson? Would be really interesting to hear :)

No problem, glad you got in! Anderson is great for entertainment/finance/tech...Based on my conversations when deciding, it seems best to focus on one of those 3 areas only (e.g. don't go for consulting there, as only ~35% of people who recruit for it, get an offer). Also, Anderson has a much stronger brand on west coast then east coast, but I assume you know that already, so focus your job hunt there. Ultimately, the reason Anderson fell bottom of my list was that I wasn't sure I wanted to live in the west coast after graduation, and wasn't sure I could get the consulting jobs I wanted (MBB). I make a good salary right now, so the ROI is only there if I get a consulting gig.

Also, I didn't try it, but I heard financial aid is negotiable there, so try that too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
mukakucing wrote:

No problem, glad you got in! Anderson is great for entertainment/finance/tech...Based on my conversations when deciding, it seems best to focus on one of those 3 areas only (e.g. don't go for consulting there, as only ~35% of people who recruit for it, get an offer). Also, Anderson has a much stronger brand on west coast then east coast, but I assume you know that already, so focus your job hunt there. Ultimately, the reason Anderson fell bottom of my list was that I wasn't sure I wanted to live in the west coast after graduation, and wasn't sure I could get the consulting jobs I wanted (MBB). I make a good salary right now, so the ROI is only there if I get a consulting gig.

Also, I didn't try it, but I heard financial aid is negotiable there, so try that too.

Really nice post I'm going to pass it to my colleagues who are getting started at this...

I agree with you on the GMAT thing..... I'm going to Duke, also applied to Kellogg have a very similar background to yours, did my research and strong essays and also I'm an international applicant, but my GMAT was lower

So... seems like you have a lot of insights what about Fuqua do you have any tips/thoughts???
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
I really liked Fuqua, the people were awesome, it has nice weather, and its average starting salary was higher than many top 10 schools. Out of the cluster of UVA/Ross/Fuqua/Cornell, I would recommend Fuqua every time. It does well in both finance and consulting, and has a very strong community. Ultimately, its recruiting was a bit regional (although a ton of people do get jobs in NYC) compared to Kellogg, and it doesn't do great at MBB (although it does do better than its peers). The strategy for duke seems to be, if you want to get a prestigious job, you should apply for Atlanta, Texas or other major southern cities. Also, their financial aid is VERY negotiable, so you can ask for more money, and you don't even need to play the "I've got a competing scholarship..." game. They just ask you to write an essay on merit reasons. If I didn't get into Kellogg, I would've been happy attending Duke.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Great detailed story MGH. The breakdown of your school selection strategy is especially helpful/interesting.

Congrats on getting into your dream school. Kellogg is such an awesome program!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Would you please share more details on why you think you didn't qualify to HBS and GSB pleasE?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [11]
Send PM
Kudos