Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [87]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [43]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [33]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [10]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Recently, the research and development departments of major pharmaceut [#permalink]
Kudos
Diagramming
1) R&D depts of major pharmaceutical org have been experimenting with new injections
2) injections boost level of iron in anemic children
3) iron boost is needed to reverse anemic condition
4) Companies express confidence that anemic children can be cure simply by using the supplements <-- conclusion

1-3 are the premise of the argument and 4 is the conclusion.

To arrive at the conclusion, the companies made an assumption.

A) major pharmaceutical companies have the responsibility to cure childhood anemia
- Choice A is clearly out. The companies did not assume that they have the responsibility to cure childhood anemia. This choice is not important for the conclusion to stand solidly

B)a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
- The companies did not have to assume this ! It's already clearly stated in the premise (point 3) whereby it is said that and iron boost is needed to reverse anemic condition

C)a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become necessary
- C is also not the assumption either. Negating, C would become a diet rich in iron can cure anemia. This still does not say why we can't just use the biochemical supplements to cure anemic children (we're not arguing the best method now, so C is not a valid assumption)

D)children aflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
- Let's negate this choice. If children afflicated with anemia do not find out and will not submit to injectons, then it doesn't matter if the drug is extremely effective since no one is willing to use it. This means that the companies assumes that the child wants to use the drug they developed.

E)the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children
- Again, this is not valid since we're not arguing which is the safest way

D is a good choice.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [2]
Send PM
Re: Recently, the research and development departments of major pharmaceut [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
adityajawa wrote:

@above
But the comapany says with the use of biochemical supplements.

I am not sure what your question is. Is it that they say that anemia will be cured by the use of biochemical supplements, not the injection?
If yes, then they mention "In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect..." which definitely implies the injection that is being developed is a biochemical remedy.
If your question is something else, please clarify.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Send PM
Recently, the research and development departments of major pharmaceut [#permalink]
Expert Reply
adityajawa wrote:

@above
But the comapany says with the use of biochemical supplements.

The company explicitly specified with the use of biochemical supplements.
The company is true on their part but if students don`t get to know about the medicine that is their problem.

Look at it this way. The question specifically states "In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect" ... They are concluding that it will have desired effect.. What is the desired effect? It is that children WILL BE cured.
If we are concluding that they will be cured, we are assuming that they will be willing to use the injection...

If I say, my method of solving equations will change the way people do Math. What are my assumptions? Not just that my method is effective but also that people will be willing to use my method.

Use Assumption Negation Technique. An assumption is a missing necessary premise. In case assumption is negated, the conclusion cannot be true.
So if we negate the option "children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions" and make it "children afflicted with anemia will not find out about the injection and will not submit to it", then can we conclude that the injection will cure the children? No. So it has to be an assumption.

Besides, there isn't any other option even close to being an assumption.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 13 Nov 2010, 17:01.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 02 Oct 2022, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9240 [14]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hemanthp wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

I have serious issues with the wording here, since it's open to two completely legitimate interpretations; the phrase "children who are suffering from anemia will be cured" could mean two different things. It could mean "*all* children with anemia will be cured" (this is the interpretation that they intend), or it could mean "this supplement is a successful cure for anemia". I find the second interpretation far more reasonable than the first. To give a parallel example, if a veterinarian says "this injection will cure rabies in dogs", he or she surely doesn't mean "because of this injection, rabies will, in the future, be completely eradicated in dogs". Instead he or she means "if a dog takes this injection, the dog's rabies will be cured".

Now, if you take "children who are suffering from anemia will be cured" to mean "this supplement is an effective cure for those who take it", then D is not a relevant assumption at all; a supplement can be an effective cure for a disease even if no one actually uses it. Only B would be a good answer in that case. I disagree with the posts above which dismiss B as an assumption; it is an assumption in the argument. The stem tells us that iron boosts are *necessary* to reverse anemia. The stem does not tell us that iron boosts are *sufficient* to reverse anemia. The iron supplements will only reverse anemia if nothing in addition to iron is needed to reverse anemia. To give a different example, if I say "I need a tent to go camping. I have a tent, so I can go camping", then I'm assuming that a tent is *all* I need to go camping - that is, I'm assuming that the tent alone is sufficient for camping, and that I don't need, say, food as well. Since B suggests that iron supplements are the only thing required to reverse anemia, it does provide a missing assumption in the argument.

Now, if instead you interpret "children who are suffering from anemia will be cured" to mean that anemia will be eliminated because of the supplement, then D is certainly a good answer, but I think that's a bizarre way to interpret the question stem here.

Given how I interpret the question, I think B is a better answer than D here, though someone who interprets the question differently can certainly justify answer D. I find the whole question problematic, so I wouldn't suggest devoting much time to it.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I definitely agree with you Ian.
My concern is that option B says:
"a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children"

They call it the major factor, something that is necessary, not the only factor. (Again a matter of interpretation, I guess)

Therefore, I feel the need to discount it and look for an alternative. This leads me to interpret it the way they meant it.

As I said in my first post of this topic - I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured'

But of course, no point spending too much time on it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
I will go with D,

Negate the statement :If children aren't aware of such injection or refrain from using it, then no way this will work to cure anemia.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
RohitKalla wrote:
Why not B?

Assumptions are unstated premise.
B is already stated in the argument .. You just need to paraphrase to get this .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
viks4gmat wrote:
why not C any idea?

If we use methods such as negation,

a diet rich in iron CAN improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary

that hurts the conclusion as well.

can somebody pls help.

Hey viks, I also use the negation technique when down to two very close choices. But one has to use this technique correctly in order to reap its benefits.

C: a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary

Negation of C is: a diet rich in iron can sometimes improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary

Now you can see that negation of C doesn't hurt the conclusion in a decisive manner, as in some (or many) cases, biochemical supplements are still required.

I have read about negation technique in Powerscore - Critical reasoning bible, where it is beautifully explained. It states that negation is logical opposite and not polar opposite.

eg: Negation of wet is not wet, and not dry,
similarly negation of none is some , and not all

if you want a concise list of negation words, you can find them in Manhattan Gmat-CR book.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [2]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Its a tough choice between B and D, let's try negating each

B) Low iron level is NOT the major factor influencing incidence of anemia. Well it may NOT be the major factor but still a critical one so this may work

D) children will not find about and submit to injections. Now do children really have to find about it? Won't parent actually do this and submit them to the injections?

That's why I wasn't too sure about D, it doesn't sound too realistic to me. I would have gone with B honestly, but would be cool if someone could shed some light between each of these answer choices

Cheers
J
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rahulsn84 wrote:

Can some one explain why C is not a correct choice here? It seems to be a valid assumption.

Responding to a pm:

This question has been discussed before and here is my explanation:
Quote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect (desired effect is that children will be cured), the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia (Irrelevant)
(B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children (Look at the highlighted part above. This is something already mentioned in the stimulus. It has to be taken as true. It is not an assumption)
(C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary (The point here is not whether diet can cure anemia or not. The point is can the children be cured by the use of the injection. Even if diet can cure the children and injections become unnecessary, still we want to establish whether the injection can also cure the children)
(D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions (Children will be cured if they come to get the injection and the injection is effective. Here the assumption is that the children will come to get the injection. They will not be cured by this method, if they don't come to get the injection)
(E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children (Irrelevant to the question - very important otherwise)

I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured' but well, you live with what you get!

Let me expand a little more on (C)
An assumption is something that is necessary for the conclusion to hold.
Conclusion: These biochemical supplements will cure anemic children.

Are we assuming that proper food will not cure them? No. We are saying that these shots WILL cure the condition. Whether something else can also cure it is not the question. Had the conclusion been "ONLY these biochemical supplements can cure anemic children" then (C) would have been an assumption.

Hence (C) is not correct.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
aakrity wrote:

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

rahulsn84 wrote:
Hi Mike,
I was going through this CR assumption question and I'm not able to understand why choice C is wrong in this case, it certainly looks like a valid assumption. I have pasted the question below for your reference. Can you please help me understand ?
Thanks.

Dear rahulsn84,
I'm happy to answer your p.m. :-)

As you may know, one powerful test for the Assumption of a CR argument is the Negation Test. Here's a blog that explains this technique if you are unfamiliar.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/assumption ... -the-gmat/

In this question, think about the conclusion: " children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements."

Now, think about the question: "In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that . . ."

Now, let's look at (C) --- in particular, look at the negation of (C):
a diet rich in iron can improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
Suppose this is true. Suppose a diet rich in iron would prevent anemia. Well, it's possible this diet rich in iron would consist of, for example, a good share of high quality meat, such as children in the first world might eat, but it may be that most of the children who suffer anemia live in poverty and thus can't afford the high quality diets that would be rich in iron. We don't know that this is true, but it could be true. Thus, even though those wonderful diets are out there, they are not accessible to the children suffering anemia, so these children will still need the biochemical supplement. Thus, this statement could be 100% true, and the argument would still work. Right there, that indicates we are not dealing with an assumption. When we negate an assumption of the argument, that constitutes a devastating objection from which the argument cannot recover. Negating the assumption KO's the argument.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohitmanglik wrote:
I am a non-native english speaker. It took me a while to understand what Author actually meant. :oops:

I am just wondering whether
"children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions" is GMAT type English. On GMAT, we cannot end a clause with a preposition.

The clauses are:
children afflicted with anemia will find out about injections
children afflicted with anemia will submit to injections

They have a common object of the preposition - 'injections'.
So for brevity, it is written only once.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos