Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [14]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GPA: 3
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest [#permalink]
Why is C wrong? The argument says the there is explosion of interest and the maximum talent is moving towards internet start ups & this is supported by premise that there is 100 or so active internet startups. But what if the similar or corresponding increase in startups is found in other fields as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shagalo wrote:
In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and talent moving toward, internet startups over the last 5 years. The evidence of this explosion is that of the 100 or so internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group," 90 were founded over the course of the last 3 years.

The reasoning above assumes which one of the following?

(A)All of the 100 internet startups are commercially viable options.

(B)There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.

(C)There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of startups devoted to other sectors such as fashion, pharmaceutical, and semiconductors.

(D)The percentage of college graduates going into computer related fields has increased over the past 5 years.

(E)The 90 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of creative energy on the part of young new talent.

can any one explain how to relate the correct answer to the passage.
thanks

You have to focus on the conclusion.
Conclusion: Over the last 5 years, there has been an explosion of interest in internet startups.

What does that mean? It means that the interest has increased manifold in the last 5 yrs (focus on the word 'increased')

How does the author support his argument? By saying that out of the current 100 internet startups, 90 were founded in the last 3 yrs i.e. most of them were found in the last 3 yrs.
What is the assumption? The assumption is that 98 internet startups did not shut shop in the last 5 yrs i.e. more than 90 companies did not close down. You need your assumption to be true for the conclusion to be true. If 98 companies had shut down in the past 5 yrs, we can't say that internet startups are becoming more popular.

Think about it: You say, "Popularity of pizza is increasing every day. Every week, one new pizza place opens up in my neighborhood."
What is your assumption? That 2 pizza places do not shut down everyday in your neighborhood. It that were the case, then we cannot say that pizza is becoming more popular.

Hence (B) is your assumption.

There is similar question here: in-north-america-there-has-been-an-explosion-of-public-132612.html?hilit=opera%20houses

thanks for taking the time to answer the question. BUT i still need to understand something.

so , the argument says that if 90 out of 100 started work in last 3 years, then the internet start up is explosion.
Answer B says "fewer than 90 ceased operation in the last 5 years) .. i agree with you that if there 98 were ceased in last 5 yeas then the conclusion will fell apart.
BUT
my confusion is … answer B says (fewer than 90 ) so i translated it to ( there is 89 internet startups ceased in last 5 years) this translation will not make sense with the passage.
the passage says : 90 started working in last 3 years
answer B says : 89 stopped working ……. then there 1 left ,,, this will support the conclusion that there is an " explosion "

can you explain please ?
thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shagalo wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shagalo wrote:
In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and talent moving toward, internet startups over the last 5 years. The evidence of this explosion is that of the 100 or so internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group," 90 were founded over the course of the last 3 years.

(B)There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.

(C)There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of startups devoted to other sectors such as fashion, pharmaceutical, and semiconductors.

(D)The percentage of college graduates going into computer related fields has increased over the past 5 years.

(E)The 90 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of creative energy on the part of young new talent.

thanks

You have to focus on the conclusion.
Conclusion: Over the last 5 years, there has been an explosion of interest in internet startups.

What does that mean? It means that the interest has increased manifold in the last 5 yrs (focus on the word 'increased')

How does the author support his argument? By saying that out of the current 100 internet startups, 90 were founded in the last 3 yrs i.e. most of them were found in the last 3 yrs.
What is the assumption? The assumption is that 98 internet startups did not shut shop in the last 5 yrs i.e. more than 90 companies did not close down. You need your assumption to be true for the conclusion to be true. If 98 companies had shut down in the past 5 yrs, we can't say that internet startups are becoming more popular.

Think about it: You say, "Popularity of pizza is increasing every day. Every week, one new pizza place opens up in my neighborhood."
What is your assumption? That 2 pizza places do not shut down everyday in your neighborhood. It that were the case, then we cannot say that pizza is becoming more popular.

Hence (B) is your assumption.

There is similar question here: in-north-america-there-has-been-an-explosion-of-public-132612.html?hilit=opera%20houses

thanks for taking the time to answer the question. BUT i still need to understand something.

so , the argument says that if 90 out of 100 started work in last 3 years, then the internet start up is explosion.
Answer B says "fewer than 90 ceased operation in the last 5 years) .. i agree with you that if there 98 were ceased in last 5 yeas then the conclusion will fell apart.
BUT
my confusion is … answer B says (fewer than 90 ) so i translated it to ( there is 89 internet startups ceased in last 5 years) this translation will not make sense with the passage.
the passage says : 90 started working in last 3 years
answer B says : 89 stopped working ……. then there 1 left ,,, this will support the conclusion that there is an " explosion "

can you explain please ?
thanks

Yes, I think you are thinking in the right direction but just losing your way midway. You are looking for an assumption. If you negate the assumption, the conclusion cannot hold.

Negate (B) - There were more than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years.

If negated (B) holds, conclusion cannot hold.
More than 90 startups means, say 95 companies that had been active closed down in the last 5 yrs. Then we CANNOT say that the conclusion can be true.
Since negative (B) breaks the conclusion, option (B) is an assumption.

Here is a post on assumptions that you might find useful: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/03 ... sumptions/
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
shagalo wrote:

thanks

we have an "explosion" of startups.
it will be true only if in the last 5 years, fewer startups went out of business than those who entered the business.

A - viable or not, this is irrelevant.
B - aha, only one that is in the scope and looks like an assumption. negate this statement: there were more than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago, and that ceased operations during the last 5 years. this one destroys the conclusion that internet startups are more than before during the last 5 years. why 90? because we have 90 created within the last 3 years. if more than 90 went out of business within 5 years, but only 90 created, then for sure there is not an increase.
C - irrelevant
D - irrelevant
E - irrelevant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and tal [#permalink]
Here I point out my analysis:

Structure
Conc: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and talent moving toward, internet startups over the last 5 years.
Basis of Conc (P1): Evidence: 90 of 100 internet startups currently active in the "New York Tech Meetup Group" were founded over the course of the last 3 years.

Pre-thinking:
The argument is assuming that the number of startups founded at any time before the 5 years has not been >= than 90 (or in other words has been <90). If negated.. explosion of interest toward startups has been there long time ago.

Answer choice analysis
(A)All of the 100 internet startups are commercially viable options. OFS
The commercial viability of the startups is not in discussion.

(B)There were fewer than 90 internet startups that had been active 5 years ago and that ceased operations during the last 5 years. Correct!
Aligned witth pre-thinking. If negated.. the conclusion is shattered because it means that there has been more interest on internet startups before.

(C)There has not been a corresponding increase in the number of startups devoted to other sectors such as fashion, pharmaceutical, and semiconductors. OFS.
Startups in other sectors is not in discussion. the argument is just concern with internet startups in NY.

(D)The percentage of college graduates going into computer related fields has increased over the past 5 years. OFS.
Argument not concerned with college graduates going to computed fields.

(E)The 90 most recently founded companies were all established as a result of creative energy on the part of young new talent. Irrelevant.
The way the 90 companies were established is not in discussion.

Hope the analysis help!

Rumi
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In New York there has been an explosion of public interest in, and tal [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts