Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [85]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618619 [80]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [48]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618619 [48]
Send PM
Re: If xy + z = x(y + z), which of the following must be true? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TomB wrote:
If xy+z=x(y+z), which of the following must be true?
A. x=0 and y=0
B. x=1 and y=1
C. y=1 and z=0
D. x=1 or y=0
E. x=1 or z=0

\(xy+z=x(y+z)\);

\(xy+z=xy+xz\);

\(xy\) cancels out: \(xz-z=0\);

\(z(x-1)=0\).

Either \(z=0\) (in this case \(x\) can take ANY value) OR \(x=1\) (in this case \(z\) can take ANY value).

Answer: E.

To elaborate more:

As the expression with \(y\) cancels out, we can say that given expression \(xy+z=x(y+z)\) does not depend on value of \(y\). Which means that \(y\) can take ANY value. So all answer choices which specify the exact value of \(y\) are wrong.

Next: "AND" in answer choices means that BOTH values must be true, but "OR" in answer choices means that EITHER value must be true.

Hope it helps.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools:SUNY at Stonyb Brook
 Q49  V27
WE 1: 4 yrs
Send PM
Thanks again Bunuel . I somehow always got stucked at option C :roll: Your explanation is awesome :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
TomB wrote:
xy+z=x(y+z). which of the following must be true?
a) x=0 and y=0
b) x=1 and y=1
c)y=1 and z=0
d)x=1 or y=0
e) x=1 or z=0

\(xy+z=x(y+z)\) --> \(xy+z=xy+xz\) --> \(xy\) cancels out --> \(xz-z=0\) --> \(z(x-1)=0\) --> either \(z=0\) (in this case \(x\) can take ANY value) OR \(x=1\) (in this case \(z\) can take ANY value).

To elaborate more:
As the expression with \(y\) cancels out, we can say that given expression \(xy+z=x(y+z)\) does not depend on value of \(y\). Which means that \(y\) can take ANY value. So all answer choices which specify the exact value of \(y\) are wrong.

Next: "AND" in answer choices means that BOTH values must be true, but "OR" in answer choices means that EITHER value must be true.

Hope it helps.

Yeah the explanation was very helpful..
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [8]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi there! I'm happy to help with this. :)

So, the question:
If xy + z = x(y + z), then
(A) x = 0 and z = 0
(B) x = 1 and y = 1
(C) y = 1 and z = 0
(D) x = 1 or y = 0
(E) x = 1 or z = 0

So, as a very general rough approximation rule, when variables are multiplied, the mathematical consequences will far more often involve the word "or" than the word "and." That's just a rough-and-ready rule to use if all else is lost.

Let's look at this question. We have: xy + z = x(y + z)

Distribute on the right side: xy + z = xy + xz

Subtract xy from both sides: z = xz

So first of all, we get this funny equation with x & z in it, without y, so that means: there's no restriction on y, only restrictions on x & z.

In solving the equation z = xz, you may be tempted to divide by z, but WHOA THERE! Before you divide by a variable, you have to ask yourself the deeply heartfelt question: could this variable equal zero? If so, then dividing by it would break all mathematical laws, and Santa Claus would find out you've been bad. So, what do we do?

We'll look at two cases: (i) z = 0, and (ii) z =/ 0
(i) if z = 0, then both sides of the equation x = xz equal zero, and the equation is true. So, one possibility that makes the equation true is z = 0
(ii) if z is not equal to zero, then we can divide by z, and get 1 = x. That's the other solution that makes the equation true.

The solutions are x = 1 or z = 0, answer choice E.

Here's another practice question for you.

https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/110

The question at that link should be followed by a video explanation.

Please let me know if you have any questions about what I've said. Good luck tomorrow!! :)

Mike :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
WishMasterUA wrote:
if xy+z=x(y+z) which of the following must be true?
1)X=0 AND Z=0
2)X=1 AND Y=0
3)Y=1 AND Z=0
4)X=1 OR Y=0
5)X=1 OR Z=0

I agree with the answer i.e. X=1 OR Z=0
But can the answer be also X=1 AND Z=0 (provided there was an option) as both of them taken together also satisfy the equation???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,
As per your solution, after cancelling the xy terms, you subtracted z from xz i.e \(xz-z=0\) instead of cancelling the variable "z". Could you please explain that part. Is it because we run the risk of forgetting z=0 value?
Thanks
H

Bunuel wrote:
LM wrote:
Please explain the answer and also why certain choices are wrong? For example what's wrong with the choice
X=1 and Y=1?

\(xy+z=x(y+z)\) --> \(xy+z=xy+xz\) --> \(xy\) cancels out --> \(xz-z=0\) --> \(z(x-1)=0\) --> either \(z=0\) (in this case \(x\) can take ANY value) OR \(x=1\) (in this case \(z\) can take ANY value).

To elaborate more:

Hope it helps.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618619 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
As per your solution, after cancelling the xy terms, you subtracted z from xz i.e \(xz-z=0\) instead of cancelling the variable "z". Could you please explain that part. Is it because we run the risk of forgetting z=0 value?
Thanks
H

Bunuel wrote:
LM wrote:
Please explain the answer and also why certain choices are wrong? For example what's wrong with the choice
X=1 and Y=1?

To elaborate more:

Hope it helps.

We cannot reduce (divide) \(z(x-1)=0\) by \(z\) since it can be zero and division by zero is not allowed. Also if we do that we exclude the possible solution of the equation: \(z=0\).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
LM wrote:
If XY + Z = X(Y+Z), then which of the following must be true?

A. X=0 AND Z=0
B. X=1 AND Y=1
C. Y=1 AND Z=0
D. X=1 OR Y=0
E. X=1 OR Z=0

X=1 and Y=1?

To elaborate more:

Hope it helps.

I am confused because answer choice (A) also satisfies the equation. X=0 AND Z=0 as it is one of many possible solutions. If Z=0 ==> (0)Y=(0)Y. X can take an an infinity amount of values, as well as Y. Very puzzled, it seems like we have two correct answer choices in the question.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618619 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
alphabeta1234 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
LM wrote:
If XY + Z = X(Y+Z), then which of the following must be true?

A. X=0 AND Z=0
B. X=1 AND Y=1
C. Y=1 AND Z=0
D. X=1 OR Y=0
E. X=1 OR Z=0

X=1 and Y=1?

To elaborate more:

Hope it helps.

I am confused because answer choice (A) also satisfies the equation. X=0 AND Z=0 as it is one of many possible solutions. If Z=0 ==> (0)Y=(0)Y. X can take an an infinity amount of values, as well as Y. Very puzzled, it seems like we have two correct answer choices in the question.

We are asked "which of the following MUST be true".

Now, if \(z=0\) then \(x\) can take ANY value. So, \(x=0\) AND \(z=0\) is not necessarily true.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
rohitgoel15 wrote:
WishMasterUA wrote:
if xy+z=x(y+z) which of the following must be true?
1)X=0 AND Z=0
2)X=1 AND Y=0
3)Y=1 AND Z=0
4)X=1 OR Y=0
5)X=1 OR Z=0

I agree with the answer i.e. X=1 OR Z=0
But can the answer be also X=1 AND Z=0 (provided there was an option) as both of them taken together also satisfy the equation???

If xy+z=x(y+z), which of the following must be true?
A. x=0 and y=0
B. x=1 and y=1
C. y=1 and z=0
D. x=1 or y=0
E. x=1 or z=0

Notice that we are asked "which of the following MUST be true"?

\(xy+z=x(y+z)\) --> \(xy+z=xy+xz\) --> \(xy\) cancels out --> \(xz-z=0\) --> \(z(x-1)=0\) --> EITHER \(z=0\) (in this case \(x\) can take ANY value) OR \(x=1\) (in this case \(z\) can take ANY value).

Addressing your questions: it's not necessary \(z=0\) and \(x=1\) both to be simultaneously true. "AND" in the answer choices means that BOTH values must be true, but "OR" in the answer choices means that EITHER value must be true.

To elaborate more:

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

-Two questions: I took the approach of plugging in answer choices and multiple answers satisfied the "must be true part". Why is that wrong?

-When you came down to xz=z, why did you take the next step of factoring out the z and equating the whole thing to zero, meaning, why did you get to the point of z(x-1)=0?

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618619 [3]
Send PM