Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2216 [37]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [13]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Re: Modifier SC: Debatable OA [#permalink]
Kudos
I need an 'and' here.

E is out because of -ing and D is left.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2216 [0]
Send PM
Mackieman wrote:
I need an 'and' here.

Why is B incorrect? Isn't the underlined part modifying the noun and the action as a whole?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
I am also leaning towards B as comma is present in the non-underlined part.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Bookmarks
gmatpapa wrote:
Mackieman wrote:
I need an 'and' here.

Why is B incorrect? Isn't the underlined part modifying the noun and the action as a whole?

It's just my gut feeling, I'm not that good at english grammar to give an explanation :-)

'Inspiring' is modifying 'psychological barrier' when it should modify 'Bannister' ?
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
I don't like it either.

My choice is B too.

Source?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2216 [0]
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The issue here is the sequence of events; whether Bannister inspired after breaking the barrier or he inspired as he broke the barrier simultaneously. As you may see, simultaneously does not make sense here. We have to take that the breaking and inspiring are two separate events and that inspiring followed breaking. Hence the need for the conjunction ‘and’

Inspiring does not just modify the barrier alone as has been remarked. It points to the entire idea that includes the breaking of the barrier; the modification is ok in B. But still B is not the answer because it expresses the sequence of breaking and inspiring simultaneously. D is the best answer

Source is Majortests.com.

See this thread in MGMAT where a staff vouches for option B:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/wit ... t7167.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [6]
Given Kudos: 622
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
With his sub-four minute mile Bannister broke a psychological barrier [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
With his sub-four minute mile Bannister broke a psychological barrier, inspiring thousands of others to attempt overcoming seemingly insurmountable hurdles.

A. inspiring thousands of others to attempt overcoming

B. inspiring thousands of others to attempt to overcome

C. inspiring thousands of others to overcome

D. and inspired thousands of others to attempt to overcome

E. and inspired thousands of others to attempt overcoming
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Send PM
Re: With his sub-four minute mile Bannister broke a psychological barrier [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
if this is a Gmat question, then my name is not Carcass and I shall quit as a moderator of this board.

Regards

hahaha..ROFL..please dont say that Carcass.. u r like an asset for gmatclubbers mate..! :-D

i came accross this question when i was solving a few on the website www.majortest.com..

Here's there explanation...

In A the word ‘inspiring’ seems incorrectly to refer to the word ‘barrier’; also the expression ‘attempt overcoming’ is unidiomatic. In D, the correct answer, ‘inspired’ is correctly parallel to ‘broke’, and ‘attempt to overcome’ is idiomatic.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: With his sub-four minute mile Bannister broke a psychological barrier [#permalink]
vards wrote:
carcass wrote:
if this is a Gmat question, then my name is not Carcass and I shall quit as a moderator of this board.

Regards

hahaha..ROFL..please dont say that Carcass.. u r like an asset for gmatclubbers mate..! :-D

i came accross this question when i was solving a few on the website https://www.majortest.com..

Here's there explanation...

In A the word ‘inspiring’ seems incorrectly to refer to the word ‘barrier’; also the expression ‘attempt overcoming’ is unidiomatic. In D, the correct answer, ‘inspired’ is correctly parallel to ‘broke’, and ‘attempt to overcome’ is idiomatic.

Dear Vards,

forget about that test or other similar tests.

Gmat is really a serious exam and to find a reliable material is really difficult. I mean: Gmat spends millions of dollars to set up the questions, both quant and verbal and even the most important prep company out there makes a really good job but no more than that. A honest job but is far less than they can efford in comparison of GMAC

That say, I am even a bit skeptical about material from Veritas and MGMAT though is the best material we have. Take my words with a grain of salt but to study bad material is even worse than not to study at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Dear Vards,

forget about that test or other similar tests.

Gmat is really a serious exam and to find a reliable material is really difficult. I mean: Gmat spends millions of dollars to set up the questions, both quant and verbal and even the most important prep company out there makes a really good job but no more than that. A honest job but is far less than they can efford in comparison of GMAC

That say, I am even a bit skeptical about material from Veritas and MGMAT though is the best material we have. Take my words with a grain of salt but to study bad material is even worse than not to study at all.

U made a good point mate...bad material is worse than not to study and is next to suicide...thank u so much mate...wont b posting any more questions from that source...
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
This question is available on other websites as well : link :
https://www.lofoya.com/Verbal-Test-Quest ... n/l3p1.htm

Bannister broke a psychological barrier, inspiring ...
Here, because of comma before -ing modifier, ing can't modify barrier; ing modifier is modifying the subject and the action of preceding clause.

Answer should be B or C.

Really, not a good source.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
carcass wrote:

Regards

Carcass, you made my day!
I felt lost, after reading this question!
:)
Heard of the term, "free...and worth every penny!", this question reminds me of that! Not worth spending time on unreliable questions..

Thank you!
Rgds
Soumya
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: With his sub-four minute mile Bannister broke a [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatpapa wrote:
With his sub-four minute mile Bannister broke a psychological barrier, inspiring thousands of others to attempt overcoming seemingly insurmountable hurdles.

A. inspiring thousands of others to attempt overcoming
B. inspiring thousands of others to attempt to overcome
C. inspiring thousands of others to overcome
D. and inspired thousands of others to attempt to overcome
E. and inspired thousands of others to attempt overcoming

Between B and C, why C is incorrect?
meaning of option B -> Bannister inspired others to "attempt".....
meaning of option C -> Bannister inspired others to "overcome".....

correct me if i'm wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM