Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [67]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [19]
Given Kudos: 130
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [2]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted [#permalink]
Kudos
execnitinsharma wrote:
All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted porches are signs of a brisk urban renewal led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time.

A. renewal led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time
B. renewal led by new immigrants, with one clapboard house at a time
C. renewal that has been led by new immigrants, with one clapboard house at a time
D. renewal, which had been led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time
E. renewal, which has been led by new immigrants and one clapboard house at a time

Don't just answer, share the explanation as well!!

C,B & E change the meaning..Quite evident i think..
Between A and D ..Had been again is wrong as nowhere in the original sentence has it been implied that the renewal is not an ongoing phenomenon.

Originally posted by JusTLucK04 on 21 Aug 2014, 22:45.
Last edited by JusTLucK04 on 22 Aug 2014, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted [#permalink]
JusTLucK04 wrote:
execnitinsharma wrote:
All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted porches are signs of a brisk urban renewal led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time.

C. renewal that has been led by new immigrants, with one clapboard house at a time
E. renewal, which has been led by new immigrants and one clapboard house at a time

C,B & E change the meaning..Quite evident i think..I don't know whether i am using the correct term here..but absolute modifier or something should be it
Between A and D ..Had been again is wrong as nowhere in the original sentence has it been implied that the renewal is not an ongoing phenomenon.

In A, "one clapboard house at a time" is modifying "new immigrants". I am not able to get any meaning out of the modifier. Can please elaborate on this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
desaichinmay22 wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
execnitinsharma wrote:

C,B & E change the meaning..Quite evident i think..I don't know whether i am using the correct term here..but absolute modifier or something should be it

In A, "one clapboard house at a time" is modifying "new immigrants". I am not able to get any meaning out of the modifier. Can please elaborate on this.

Dear Chinmay,

I am happy to help.

In option A, noun modifier 'one clapboard house at a time' correctly modifies 'brisk urban renewal' in the preceding clause. This is very much a valid application of noun modifiers. You can refer the application of these type of modifiers here https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-noun-modifiers-the-most-versatile-modifier-137292.html Refer to the second application of Noun+Noun Modifier piece. B incorrectly associates 'one clapboard house at a time' with new immigrants and the sentence takes a meaning of the sort that 'one clapboard house at a time' and 'new immigrants' both led 'brisk urban renewal'. In C, the noun modifier 'one clapboard house at a time' incorrectly modifies 'new immigrants'. D incorrectly uses past perfect stating that 'new immigrants' led 'brisk urban renewal' sometime in past before some event. E does the same mistake as that of B and states that 'brisk urban renewal' was led by both 'new immigrants' and 'one clapboard house at a time'.

I hope I helped!! Cheers!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
execnitinsharma wrote: In option A, noun modifier 'one clapboard house at a time' correctly modifies 'brisk urban renewal' in the preceding clause. This is very much a valid application of noun modifiers.

this interpretation is not entirely correct . "noun modifiers" must attach to the noun that they modify .that's the basic difference between "noun modifiers" and "verb modifiers"

Quote:
In C, the noun modifier 'one clapboard house at a time' incorrectly modifies 'new immigrants'.

first of all the modifier in C is not "one clapboard house at a time" but "with one clapboard house at a time". secondly "with one clapboard house at a time" is not just a noun modifier .yes it can be a "adverbial" in nature at times

this question seems faulty . Forced to select an option, i will select option A but i feel it is not correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
execnitinsharma wrote: In option A, noun modifier 'one clapboard house at a time' correctly modifies 'brisk urban renewal' in the preceding clause. This is very much a valid application of noun modifiers.

this interpretation is not entirely correct . "noun modifiers" must attach to the noun that they modify .that's the basic difference between "noun modifiers" and "verb modifiers"

Quote:
In C, the noun modifier 'one clapboard house at a time' incorrectly modifies 'new immigrants'.

first of all the modifier in C is not "one clapboard house at a time" but "with one clapboard house at a time". secondly "with one clapboard house at a time" is not just a noun modifier .yes it can be a "adverbial" in nature at times

this question seems faulty . Forced to select an option, i will select option A but i feel it is not correct

It is not absolutely necessary for the noun modifiers to touch the noun they modify. Please refer the URL which I have shared above. Also refer some of the Official Guide questions which have been shared in that URL. It is a very good article written by eGMAT in that URL.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [4]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
desaichinmay22 wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
execnitinsharma wrote:

Ok..Let me try..

I tried painting the house in Red Color, one brick at a time

So one brick at a time is modifying the action painting..How did he paint--> One brick at a time...
llly..here clapboard is a type of something..lets skip it

All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted porches are signs of a brisk urban renewal led by new immigrants, one house at a time.

Urban renewal is happening one house at a time -->is what it seems to convey..

so with doesn't make sense here and as this is a modifier modifying the action renewal,it cannot be placed anywhere else.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Quote:
It is not absolutely necessary for the noun modifiers to touch the noun they modify. Please refer the URL which I have shared above. Also refer some of the Official Guide questions which have been shared in that URL. It is a very good article written by eGMAT in that URL.

i agree but my point was that the reason u were using to eliminate C can be applied to eliminate A as well.
i will explain how . you are saying that modifier in C is applying to "new immigrant" then the same logic can be applied in A as well !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

i agree but my point was that the reason u were using to eliminate C can be applied to eliminate A as well.
i will explain how . you are saying that modifier in C is applying to "new immigrant" then the same logic can be applied in A as well !!

In option C, 'with one clapboard house at a time' obviously does not modify 'new immigrants'. Moreover, it does not modify any other noun or noun clause in the sentence. Let me add this to my explanation. Had it modified any other, may be 'brisk urban renewal', the sentence would have looked like 'All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted porches are signs of a brisk urban renewal with one clapboard house at a time'....this looks a faulty sentence to me. I hope that helps!! Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
"one clapboard house at a time" is an absolute phrase I guess! You can find a nice explanation for absolute phrases in MGMAT. Actually, that is what I have referred. Once you read that, option A will make sense to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
My 2 cents.
Intended meaning:
All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted porches are signs of a brisk urban renewal.
The urban renewal is led by new immigrant.(How?) one clapboard house at a time. Here NP is modifying clause/action here.

>>Tense error
>>Changes meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
Send PM
As suggested, I went back to MGMAT SC guide and looked for Absolute Phrases.
I also saw an example in the book :
Owen walked out of the store,with his head held high.
This is a right sentence.
So why can't option B can be right for the question in hand.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:

Dear Chinmay,

I am happy to help.

In option A, noun modifier 'one clapboard house at a time' correctly modifies 'brisk urban renewal' in the preceding clause. This is very much a valid application of noun modifiers. You can refer the application of these type of modifiers here https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-noun-modifiers-the-most-versatile-modifier-137292.html Refer to the second application of Noun+Noun Modifier piece. B incorrectly associates 'one clapboard house at a time' with new immigrants and the sentence takes a meaning of the sort that 'one clapboard house at a time' and 'new immigrants' both led 'brisk urban renewal'. In C, the noun modifier 'one clapboard house at a time' incorrectly modifies 'new immigrants'. D incorrectly uses past perfect stating that 'new immigrants' led 'brisk urban renewal' sometime in past before some event. E does the same mistake as that of B and states that 'brisk urban renewal' was led by both 'new immigrants' and 'one clapboard house at a time'.

noun+ noun modifier can modify a clause or a noun placed anywhere in the preceding clause until and unless meaning is clear and unambiguous. But in option 'A'
one clapboard house at a time is a noun modifier not a noun + noun modifier. And the above rule doesn't apply to noun modifier(noun modifier demands that noun should be touching it). So 'A' can't be the correct choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
solitaryreaper wrote:
Quote:

Dear Chinmay,

I am happy to help.

noun+ noun modifier can modify a clause or a noun placed anywhere in the preceding clause until and unless meaning is clear and unambiguous. But in option 'A'
one clapboard house at a time is a noun modifier not a noun + noun modifier. And the above rule doesn't apply to noun modifier(noun modifier demands that noun should be touching it). So 'A' can't be the correct choice.

Not all noun modifiers are adjectives, ones require to be placed right next to the noun it modifies (like what I just did). Noun modifiers come in all different forms: adjectives, nouns, compound nouns, phrases, etc. A must be the correct choice because no other maintains the logic required for the sentence to make sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
I have a doubt here.

What's the difference in the usage of adverbial modifier (with / without "with"), in below sentences.

A. renewal led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time - Correct
B. renewal led by new immigrants, with one clapboard house at a time - Wrong

Vs

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey,with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the United States.
E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, withalmost half going - Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Q: All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted porches are signs of a brisk urban renewal led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time.

A. renewal led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time [Correct]
B. renewal led by new immigrants, with one clapboard house at a time – Illogical: “with one clapboard house at a time”
C. renewal that has been led by new immigrants, with one clapboard house at a time – Illogical: “with one clapboard house at a time”
D. renewal, which had been led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time – Tense: “had been” is not needed as the renewal led by immigrants is still going on
E. renewal, which has been led by new immigrants and one clapboard house at a timeIllogical: led by X and “one clapboard house at a time”…a house cannot lead anything
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
execnitinsharma wrote:

Hi,

Can someone explain the difference between option A and B?

Thanks in advance!!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130