Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [38]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [10]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q46 V34
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [0]
Send PM
Re: Four workers from an international charity were selling shirts at a lo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
falewman wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Bunuel. I have a question on statement 2. It says...were selling....it doesn't say 'they sold'. Can we assume that each have sold at least one when it is not explicitly stated....or this is too much reading into the semantics?!

No, we cannot assume that each of them sold at least 1.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Four workers from an international charity were selling shirts at a lo [#permalink]
How about the case where two of them didn't sell a single shirt and the other two sold 1 and 2 shirts respectively. Isn't that a possible case that will render statement 2 insufficient, or am I reading into it far too much?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
falewman wrote:
How about the case where two of them didn't sell a single shirt and the other two sold 1 and 2 shirts respectively. Isn't that a possible case that will render statement 2 insufficient, or am I reading into it far too much?

(2) says that no two workers sold the same number of shirts, so the case in which two of them sell 0 shirts each is not possible.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel. I get it now.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hello Bunuel!
I got a small doubt.. its said did any of the person sold at-least three t shirts!!! thats fine.. as its a question...
now unless we take into consideration.. which gives the total quantity sold.. that is 8 shirts.. then with the help of option b how can we came to conclusion that at-least one of the salesmen sold at-least three as we dont know how many shirts were soled over all?
Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Celestial09 wrote:
Hello Bunuel!
I got a small doubt.. its said did any of the person sold at-least three t shirts!!! thats fine.. as its a question...
now unless we take into consideration.. which gives the total quantity sold.. that is 8 shirts.. then with the help of option b how can we came to conclusion that at-least one of the salesmen sold at-least three as we dont know how many shirts were soled over all?
Thanks

For the second statement (no two workers sold the same number of shirts) it's simply impossible EACH of the workers to sell less than 3 shirts. Because if one of them sold 0, the second one sold 1, third one sold 2, then the fourth one must have sold 3 or more, to have different number of shirts sold than the others.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Celestial09,

In many DS questions, you might find it easier to get the question correct if you change the way that you "see" the question. Instead of saying/thinking "we don't know _____, so the Fact must be insufficient", try thinking this... "we don't have much information, but what COULD happen if I include the information in the Fact." In this way, you'll be seeking out the possibilities, which is a big part of what DS questions are testing you on.

In this prompt, we're told that there are 4 workers. In Fact 2, we're told that "No two workers sold the same number of shirts." What COULD this mean.....?

At the very least, since the 4 works sold DIFFERENT numbers of shirts, we would have....
0, 1, 2 and 3 shirts sold.

This means that at least one of them sold 3 (or more) shirts and the total sold is at least 6.

There are other possibilities, of course, but all of them are "bigger" than this one...

For example,
0, 1, 2, 5
1, 2, 3, 4
100, 101, 201, 598
Etc.

DS questions test many different skills, so be prepared to do WORK on each DS question. The good news is that the work is usually pretty easy; the bad news is that you MUST do the work if you want to be sure that you're choosing the correct answer.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
this is a pure logic question. no need to put down equations.
answer is B. it is obvious if you have the trick. Otherwise, you might just go for wrong anwser C.
Veritas prep: Nice one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Four workers from an international charity were selling shirts at a lo [#permalink]
guialain wrote:
this is a pure logic question. no need to put down equations.
answer is B. it is obvious if you have the trick. Otherwise, you might just go for wrong anwser C.
Veritas prep: Nice one.

To me statement 2 means: No 2 workers sold the same number of shirts (if they didn't want you to sum, why not just say no worker sold the same number of shirts). I interpreted that to mean that no 2 workers sold the same number of shirts.

So worker A&B sold a different number of shirts than C&D. If that were the case A&B could sell 0 shirts and C&D could sell 2 shirts together.

The question is actually quite easy if Veritas could write properly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Four workers from an international charity were selling shirts at a local event yesterday. Did one of the workers sell at least three shirts yesterday at the event?

(1) Together they sold 8 shirts yesterday at the event. If the number of shirts sold by four workers are (2, 2, 2, 2), then none of them sold 3 or more shirts but if the number of shirts sold by four workers are (3, 2, 2, 1), then one of the workers sold at least 3 shirts. Not sufficient.

(2) No two workers sold the same number of shirts. Could we have a case where all workers sold less than 3 shirts and no two workers sold the same number of shirts? No. If one of them sold 0, the second one sold 1, third one sold 2, then the fourth one must have sold 3 or more, to have different number of shirts sold than the others. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

But you are considering statement 1
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts