Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [22]
Given Kudos: 84
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618710 [8]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16593 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: A souvenir stand began the day Wednesday with a ratio of 13 hats for [#permalink]
I say it is C, regardless of how many shirts were sold.

1. not sufficient: hats=13, shirts=7. after 3 hats, shirts=7. or hats 26, shirts 14. 10 sold, so hats 16. H>S. not sufficient.

2. not sufficient.

1+2
hats minimum 26.
so if we start with at least 26, then shirts must be 14 minimum. 26-10=16. >than shirts.
if hats =52, then shirts =28. again, if -10 hats, we have 42 hats and 28 shirts.

H>S.

so 1+2 sufficient - C.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618710 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: A souvenir stand began the day Wednesday with a ratio of 13 hats for [#permalink]
Expert Reply
UmangMathur wrote:
A souvenir stand began the day Wednesday with a ratio of 13 hats for every 7 shirts. If the stand received no new hats or shirts during the day Wednesday, and the only items that left the stand were those that were sold, did the stand end the day Wednesday with more shirts than hats?

(1) During the day Wednesday, the stand sold a total of 10 hats.

(2) The stand began the day Wednesday with an even number of hats.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

It is fairly easy to see in this problem that each statement alone is not sufficient. With statement (1) the stand could have started with 13 hats and 7 shirts, sold 10 hats, and there would be more shirts than hats at the end of the day giving you an answer of yes. But the stand could have also sold 5 shirts in the same scenario giving you a no answer. For statement (2) you have no idea how many of each type were sold so that is clearly not sufficient. When you take the two statements together, it might still seem that you do not have enough information about the total number of items at the beginning or the end of the day, but keep in mind several facts:

-only 10 total hats were sold (per statement 1)

-no new shirts were added, so the total of shirts could only go down from the beginning value (per the given information)

-the smallest total relationship (per statement 2) is 26 hats and 14 shirts

Put all of that together and you should see that there is no way for the stand to end the day with more shirts than hats, as even with the smallest possible difference between hats and shirts, 10 sold hats don't even out the totals (that would be 16 hats and 14 shirts). Therefore, the statements together are sufficient to guarantee the answer "no" and the correct answer is (C).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
This is a nice problem... once you realize the minimum will be 26 hats you are done with this problem... Its important to be waiting this kind of contrarian problems on the GMAT...

UmangMathur wrote:
A souvenir stand began the day Wednesday with a ratio of 13 hats for every 7 shirts. If the stand received no new hats or shirts during the day Wednesday, and the only items that left the stand were those that were sold, did the stand end the day Wednesday with more shirts than hats?

(1) During the day Wednesday, the stand sold a total of 10 hats.

(2) The stand began the day Wednesday with an even number of hats.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
1st statement- 13x-10>7x?
6x>10? ..... is x>1?
2nd statement- x=2 min.
combined suff.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts