Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.93
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Re: Is the quant score 48 (percentile 74%) ok for top 7 schools? [#permalink]
Kudos
akarshank wrote:
I have read and heard that less than 49 in Quant is a big cause of worry for schools such as Wharton and Columbia.

I feel that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's one [amusing] thing to believe that someone's knowledge of high school math will predict their ability in a management program, it's another to feel that there is a hard cut off. It's not like inequalities or geometry show up much in application outside of careers in engineering or similar fields.

What matters more is what pool you're applying from. If you've made and sold a successful business or two...or worked in an interesting niche leadership role... etc. have a strong GPA and some hobbies/EC's ....and aren't an Indian IT male (no offense intended, it's just a large pool which makes 'luck' more of a factor than w/ other pools)... then anything starting with a 7 will likely be competitive across the board - a bit of a crap shoot at H/S/W but rank 3-10 schools will be very interested in you. They wouldn't look at a 46/47/48 in Quant and think NOPE.

On the other hand if you're part of an overrepresented group and are aiming for top 5, you'll either have to have something platinum about your application, or pushing a higher GMAT than your competitors. 710 is great for some pools and unlikely to be the reason for a ding (e.g. female URM), below 730/740 is meh for other pools e.g. Indian Male in IT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V46
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Bookmarks
Just speaking from personal experience so I am not sure this will be helpful but here it goes. I got interviews at Columbia and Wharton this year with a 730 (46Q/46V). That's a 68th percentile quant and 99th percentile verbal. I was told I was doomed by some while others said it would not matter.

I think it depends on two things: profile and stated post MBA goals. For example, I had taken stats and accounting in college and got B's and A's so the adcom knew I could the work. My title is financial analyst so the adcom knows I work with numbers daily. My post MBA goal is something much less quant heavy than what I do now. So for me the 68th percentile did not matter.

Now, had my college and professional background been devoid of exposure to quant/finance and my goal was to work in banking, wealth management or consulting I think the 68th percentile would have been a big deal. This is an extreme counter example but you get the point. Hope this is helpful and good luck to all!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
One point that I have seen before is that the percentile really doesn't mean much because it is a function of what demographic is taking the GMAT. In recent years, it seems that there are been a lot of international, quant gifted students taking the GMAT and pushing the Quant percentiles. Realistically, the ONLY purpose the GMAT serves is for admissions to determine whether or not you can handle their courses academically. The raw score (QXX, VXX) are more important in that regard as they give a standardized, comparable statistic to correlate raw score w/ success in program. I really wouldn't worry about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Booth '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
Send PM
48 is 74% these days? Yeesh.

One point of reference - I got a 46 Quant (76%) and just started at Booth. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you; with the caveat that the box is no less black once you're on the inside.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
Mothakes wrote:
48 is 74% these days? Yeesh.

One point of reference - I got a 46 Quant (76%) and just started at Booth. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you; with the caveat that the box is no less black once you're on the inside.

Good luck!

46 was the 76th percentile!? When did you take it? I believe it falls into the high 50s now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Booth '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
Send PM
forevertfc wrote:

46 was the 76th percentile!? When did you take it? I believe it falls into the high 50s now.

Back in 2009. I was pushing the limit on the 5-year validity. Apparently people are smarter now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Still apply! Gmat is one component of the application and as others have said, the rest of your profile matters in relation to your quantitative abilities and goals.

I was 44V 46Q with 730 total. I've gotten interviews from HBS, Haas, and Anderson. I did not get an interview at Wharton but I have several theories as to why besides my quant percentile.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
Mothakes wrote:
forevertfc wrote:

Back in 2009. I was pushing the limit on the 5-year validity. Apparently people are smarter now.

If it's any consolation, your verbal percentile will have increased.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Depends on your demographics. White male working in NYC finance or indian male IT has very different benchmarks they need to reach to attend top programs. 48q is fine for almost all people, although a score of only 730 may be too low if you're in an over-subscribed demographic with silver instead of gold work experience.

At Kellogg, based on the resume book I see, almost every white dude who worked in a 2nd tier investment bank, 2nd tier consulting firm (e.g. accenture/deloitte), corp 500, etc has ~750ish GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts