Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]
RHB wrote:
These are the details of Tucks 2011 - 2012 loan program for internationals. Fingers crossed that they don't mind me posting this. Also, the loan program seems to be independent from scholarships, I was awarded a reasonable scholarship and I was still allowed to take the maximum amount out in loans.

• Individual maximum amount varies and is determined by Tuck’s Financial Aid office by performing needs analysis
• Finance up to the cost of tuition and mandatory fees (not to exceed $57,000 annually)
• Apply once and secure financing for your entire graduate studies with a unique Line of Credit structure
• Zero origination or pre-payment fees
• Variable interest rate based on Prime Rate plus 4.00% for student only
• 0.50% interest rate discount for borrowers with an approved U.S. co-signer
• Co-signer not required
• Interest is added to principal upon entering repayment
• Flexible repayment options, including full deferment of payments while in school
• 20 or 25 year repayment period, depending on loan balance – or repay early at any time with no penalty
• 6 month grace period prior to entering repayment
• 0.25% rate discount for automatic electronic payment during repayment
• Optional graduated repayment which provides lower payments during the first two years of repayment
• 24/7 Call Center and Online Application
• Loan is granted and held by your not-for-profit credit union – a lender relationship you can trust

Tuck will determine the maximum line of credit amount the student may be eligible to borrow. This is determined by a needs analysis based on a variety of factors, including cost of the program, their ability to contribute, debt levels consistent with successful repayment, and availability of funds. The school reserves the right to limit or decline educational loans or lines of credit on the basis of a student’s overall debt burden, credit history, or other relevant factors.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for such detailed response. Tuck provides loans for tuition fees and mandatory fees. What about other expenses such as room etc?
Any lenders who have tie up with Tuck?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Send PM
Hello Everyone ,
It seems the post is not active for a long time . I wanted to know about some private funding options for international candidates.
Besides,Can some please post updated list of colleges which offer loans to its candidates without us cosigner?
Preferably categorize colleges in following categories.

1. Full fees+expenses( expenses like room) for international candidates
2. Mandatory fees only for international candidates
3. Can be fully funded but from private lenders.

Please do keep post alive. It's really beneficial to international candidates.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
AverageGuy123 wrote:
Hello Everyone ,
It seems the post is not active for a long time . I wanted to know about some private funding options for international candidates.
Besides,Can some please post updated list of colleges which offer loans to its candidates without us cosigner?
Preferably categorize colleges in following categories.

1. Full fees+expenses( expenses like room) for international candidates
2. Mandatory fees only for international candidates
3. Can be fully funded but from private lenders.

Please do keep post alive. It's really beneficial to international candidates.

Hi AverageGuy123, Just a suggestion- might be helpful to create a new thread for 2015 since policies keep changing every year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi there,

Here is my situation (quite complicated) and I would like your help, advice, tips, comments.
I am Portuguese. I am currently living and working in Canada (Montreal). I came here to do my undergraduate and got a job in Finance just after (very recent).

I have been accepted at MIT Sloan MBA program but I do not know how to pay for not only the tuitions fees but also the live expenses of Boston.

Here is a quick summary of my situation:
- My Family is very very poor, so not an option at all
- I have few thousands of dollars (canadian) in my account but nothing too fency
- The Portuguese Banks (due mostly to the economic conditions) are not able to help me (No banks is financing abroad studies)
- I am not a permanent resident in Canada (work permit)
- I have no co-signer for the loan application
- I do not have historical credit (Cultural habits), I always pay cash (just a credit card)
- Not sure that my employer is willing to pay for such a cost

Should I reconsider going to a MBA (by the way it has always been my dream and it is my number goal).

Do you know other ways? how can I get a student loan in Canada or the US ?

am I screwed ?

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Kudos
Mortedza wrote:
Hi there,

Here is my situation (quite complicated) and I would like your help, advice, tips, comments.
I am Portuguese. I am currently living and working in Canada (Montreal). I came here to do my undergraduate and got a job in Finance just after (very recent).

I have been accepted at MIT Sloan MBA program but I do not know how to pay for not only the tuitions fees but also the live expenses of Boston.

- I have few thousands of dollars (canadian) in my account but nothing too fency
- The Portuguese Banks (due mostly to the economic conditions) are not able to help me (No banks is financing abroad studies)
- I do not have historical credit (Cultural habits), I always pay cash (just a credit card)

Should I reconsider going to a MBA (by the way it has always been my dream and it is my number goal).

am I screwed ?

No buddy you're not screwed at all. There are companies who offer loans to international students. Have you heard of Prodigy finance? Its just one of those companies. Secondly I believe MIT Federal Credit Union provides loan assistance up to $170,000 for students enrolling at MIT Sloan program without the need for a co-borrower.

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BrainFog wrote:
Mortedza wrote:
Hi there,

am I screwed ?

No buddy you're not screwed at all. There are companies who offer loans to international students. Have you heard of Prodigy finance? Its just one of those companies. Secondly I believe MIT Federal Credit Union provides loan assistance up to $170,000 for students enrolling at MIT Sloan program without the need for a co-borrower.

Hope this helps

It does help BrainFog, thank you very much. I will look more for these solutions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello everyone - I'm so happy to have found this forum!
So I have a bit of a different question for this forum, but I hope you can still help me and hopefully its of interest to some of you.

I want to start my MBA at the University of Bradford, UK - its a long distance MBA. I live in the US but I'm currently on a Work VISA and in the Process for my application for my Green Card (supported through my employer) - I'm a German citizen. The reason why I'm looking into this is- - its accommodating to my work schedule; its triple accredited; I can do courses at various international universities all over the globe (for free, only the travel has to be paid) and last but not least the price.

Now here is my problem - Sally Mae sees me as an international student and will not support me for an international school... and other banks don't have an affiliation with the University of Bradford...

Has anyone an idea how I could solve this???

Many thanks in advance
Best
Julianna
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The loan does sound like a rip, but sometimes we don't exactly have a choice, I know. I had no idea that Columbia didn't offer no co-signer loans, so this is a great heads up for future applicants, even though they might secure one next year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Alena85 wrote:
The loan does sound like a rip, but sometimes we don't exactly have a choice, I know. I had no idea that Columbia didn't offer no co-signer loans, so this is a great heads up for future applicants, even though they might secure one next year.

So Columbia doesn't offer no-co-signor loans but Prodigy Finance is a great place for international students to get non co-signor loans. I am a Columbia student and got a loan from Prodigy at a very reasonable rate and without any collateral. Even the process is very simple.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
WE:Law (Consulting)
Send PM
debbhad wrote:
Alena85 wrote:

So Columbia doesn't offer no-co-signor loans but Prodigy Finance is a great place for international students to get non co-signor loans. I am a Columbia student and got a loan from Prodigy at a very reasonable rate and without any collateral. Even the process is very simple.

For a majority of the schools, prodigy only finances up to the max of "tuition and fees". Does anyone know what "fees" entail? Does it include the compulsory health insurance fees, etc.? I tried contacting Prodigy but I got an automated response saying that it would be some time before they got back to me.

Also, I'm not sure about how loans/scholarships on just tuition work:
1. Say a school is going to cost me $100k - $60k is tuition and the remaining $40k on living expenses, books, etc.
2. Say I get a scholarship of $10k towards tuition.
3. There is a loan program that allows me to take out $60k towards cost of tuition.
4. If I am granted the $60k loan, can I not use $50k on it for the tuition-post-scholarship amount and then remaining $10k of the loan money towards living expense?

Does anyone have any idea on how it works??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
iissosmarts wrote:
debbhad wrote:
Alena85 wrote:

For a majority of the schools, prodigy only finances up to the max of "tuition and fees". Does anyone know what "fees" entail? Does it include the compulsory health insurance fees, etc.? I tried contacting Prodigy but I got an automated response saying that it would be some time before they got back to me.

Also, I'm not sure about how loans/scholarships on just tuition work:
1. Say a school is going to cost me $100k - $60k is tuition and the remaining $40k on living expenses, books, etc.
2. Say I get a scholarship of $10k towards tuition.
3. There is a loan program that allows me to take out $60k towards cost of tuition.
4. If I am granted the $60k loan, can I not use $50k on it for the tuition-post-scholarship amount and then remaining $10k of the loan money towards living expense?

Does anyone have any idea on how it works??

I am not a 100% sure about what the "fees" would entail - when I drew out my Prodigy loan, I was given a limit by Prodigy that was slightly under my total tuition expenses. Hence, even though they might say that they fund upto "tuition + fees", the final limit would depend on your loan application (job, creditworthiness etc.) and the school.

On your second question, I can tell you what Prodigy does. In the example that you mentioned here, you can get the $10K towards your living expenses. Prodigy will transfer whatever amount is in your loan amount and whatever is left over after accounting for your scholarships will get transferred to your personal account and you can pay for your living expenses using that.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [3]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]
Kudos