Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 790 Q51 V50
GPA: 3.65
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
devilbart wrote:
Hi all,

I had my interview yesterday and it was one of the better interviews I've had so far. I'm sharing my experience here and will be keeping it brief, however, if you have any queries I'm available on PM to assist.

My interview was initially scheduled earlier last week, and then after being re-scheduled a couple of times finally took place yesterday. It was with an alumnus from Mumbai in a coffee shop and lasted for about 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Following are some of the questions I can recall

1.Can you explain what you do in your daily work? (Resume walk-through)
2.What would your subordinates say is your leadership style?
3. How do you show leadership at work? Is Leadership and Management the same? (Behavior analysis.. I aced this one I bet..)
4. As part of company X, tell me a time when you were part of a team that did not perform well, how did you contribute...
5.How do you work with people from different cultures?
6. What do your co-workers say is your weakness?
7.How have you overcome this weakness?
8. Why would you choose our school’s MBA program?
etc. etc.

My interviewer was from a somewhat similar background to mine but had much less upstream experience and more downstream and mid-stream experience.. So once the grilling was done he was genuinely interested to learn much more about upstream services and hydraulic fracturing(my domain of expertise).. we spoke about lot of things from energy sufficiency for india and how i envision the future of shale oil/gas and EOR etc. etc... All in all a pretty good one, wrapped up with him asking me to catch up for another informal meeting sometime soon and that I was headed down the right track in going to stanford, told me about the energy research institute at stanford and how i can leverage my functional knowledge too along with business skills gained through an MBA...

As a fellow hydraulic fracking GSB applicant, i thank you for sharing your experience and wish you the best for your interview results.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
Ten-Four brother. Always glad to help a fellow fracker... Hope you get your interview in the ground soon!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[quote="devilbart"]Ten-Four brother. Always glad to help a fellow fracker... Hope you get your interview in the ground soon!

Posted from my mobile device [/quo

Much appreciated .Hoping GSB calls soon. Otherwise I am headed to Kellogg .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
EndGame wrote:
devilbart wrote:
Ten-Four brother. Always glad to help a fellow fracker... Hope you get your interview in the ground soon!

Fellow fracker here as well. What the frack!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm not surprised. We know they aren't gonna need us soon, considering where crude oil prices have fallen.. Perhaps, the best time to get an MBA and switch paths.... or if prices improve in 2 years, come back and shovel more sand. :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
crazyflier wrote:
EndGame wrote:
devilbart wrote:

Fellow fracker here as well. What the frack!

Forth one here. Now I know why I don't get the interview. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Very Nice! Any of you with the Big Red? We could save us the trouble to chat on this thread and might as well connect on lync you know... lol
Intern
Intern
Send PM
devilbart wrote:
Very Nice! Any of you with the Big Red? We could save us the trouble to chat on this thread and might as well connect on lync you know... lol

For everyone's reference, The Big Red: Haliburton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGmWmx5B5IQ
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Oh frack ! Way too many of us then . Lol . I agree it is not the worst time for an oil fields person to get an mba. The industry is facing one of the biggests downturns . The shale in this part of the world makes production services all the more pricey . Gotta dodge the chopper for about 4 more months :))

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
devilbart wrote:

I am with the Big Blue! It seems like Stanford like color red more than blue. :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lightfall wrote:
devilbart wrote:

I am with the Big Blue! It seems like Stanford like color red more than blue. :(

Nah, Keep the chin up mate, you'll be fine... Though I hate you blues.. too much arrogance with that high market cap... but reds are #1 for frac so from that point of view, it might just be a disadvantage to be with the blues with frac... unless you're a wireline guy or something... a portfolio which you guys rock at.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
devilbart wrote:
lightfall wrote:
devilbart wrote:

Nah, Keep the chin up mate, you'll be fine... Though I hate you blues.. too much arrogance with that high market cap... but reds are #1 for frac so from that point of view, it might just be a disadvantage to be with the blues with frac... unless you're a wireline guy or something... a portfolio which you guys rock at.

But it's all about that highway frac, big red doesn't have that now do they??

Disclaimer: neither big red or blue here. With an operator
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[/quote]

Nah, Keep the chin up mate, you'll be fine... Though I hate you blues.. too much arrogance with that high market cap... but reds are #1 for frac so from that point of view, it might just be a disadvantage to be with the blues with frac... unless you're a wireline guy or something... a portfolio which you guys rock at.[/quote]

Disclaimer: neither big red or blue here. With an operator[/quote]

Highway is just repackaged Bull$$%^& mate. and you gotta give it to the blues, they know how to re-package stuff, make it sound innovative and sell it all guns blazing.. Reds have things much more superior.. its just not packaged and marketed that way... I did a remedy treatment for an NOC in India who ran Highway frac that messed up their production rates. We fixed it... But the bragging aside and truth be told, the blues do know how to sell better than anyone else.. and who better than an operator to prove it with the comment above...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
devilbart wrote:

Nah, Keep the chin up mate, you'll be fine... Though I hate you blues.. too much arrogance with that high market cap... but reds are #1 for frac so from that point of view, it might just be a disadvantage to be with the blues with frac... unless you're a wireline guy or something... a portfolio which you guys rock at.[/quote]

Disclaimer: neither big red or blue here. With an operator[/quote]

Highway is just repackaged Bull$$%^& mate. and you gotta give it to the blues, they know how to re-package stuff, make it sound innovative and sell it all guns blazing.. Reds have things much more superior.. its just not packaged and marketed that way... I did a remedy treatment for an NOC in India who ran Highway frac that messed up their production rates. We fixed it... But the bragging aside and truth be told, the blues do know how to sell better than anyone else.. and who better than an operator to prove it with the comment above...[/quote]

Lol, it was just sarcasm mate! I'm the biggest skeptic of the highway!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
no offence taken mate, I am kinda in awe of their marketing strategies though.. they do know how to get the most bang for their buck...

btw, if you're with an operator, you have a better shot than any of us... the schools love guys from operators.. especially if you're at a Shell,Chevron et al
Intern
Intern
Send PM
devilbart wrote:
no offence taken mate, I am kinda in awe of their marketing strategies though.. they do know how to get the most bang for their buck...

btw, if you're with an operator, you have a better shot than any of us... the schools love guys from operators.. especially if you're at a Shell,Chevron et al

I've never heard that. Might have a slight impact but the overall profile and work experience, regardless of company type, undoubtedly has more impact. Anyhow, your profile looks impressive, and you already have the interview, plus a call from DB! Wishing you the best.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That's what Sandy Kreisberg had to say about Service Company V/S Operators... when he did a profile evaluation for me.. But again, might just be a slight preference like you said.. Thanks, I am really looking forward to getting that acceptance letter.. Coz I'm pretty damn sure I'm gonna get fired anyway in a few months if I don't quit to go to school... I've been at my worst performance in the last few months dreaming about a gsb admit letter.. my boss actually set up a review meeting with me last week to know if everything was ok or if I was going through some mid-career "phase" or something lol....
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  59   60   61   62   63   64   65  ...  87   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts