Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [44]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [7]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social ineractions, psy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Example 1: You find which in an IC and that IC is conjugated by a fanboy conjunction. Therefore structurally there cannot be a modified noun before the word. Second, ‘which’ is an adjective that modifies the noun, kinds, a noun that follows the interrogative pronoun rather than precedes it.
2. This is a flipped sentence of ‘Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe, which they dressed a statue of the goddess Athena with. For all practical purposes, ‘with which’ and ‘which’ mean the same thing. It may therefore be seen that, ‘which’ actually stands for the noun robe.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: While recognizing that lying often facilitates social ineractions, psy [#permalink]
dagh,
1. Can you explain me in simpler terms why in the posted question, which is not preceeded by a noun there. I am not able to understand what is a fan boy conjuction and IC in your statement..Can you explain in simple terms ..
2.Can you also explain here the pronoun it refers to what and can you help in eliminating the answer choices in the question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I am not able to understand the subject for becomes. Is it lying or social ineractions. Looks like lying
can somebody explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Rrkan,

It has to be 'lying' - 'social interactions' is a plural and so would need a plural word to replace 'it' - since all 5 options have the singular 'it' then this can not be what is being tested.

James
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
saikarthikreddy wrote:
While recognizing that lying often facilitates social ineractions,psychiatrists are seeking to determine when they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal.

a.they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal
b.they become destructive and the mental problems that are signaled by them
c.it becomes destructive and what are the kinds of mental problems they signal
d.it becomes destructive and the mental problems that are signaled by it
e.it becomes destructive and which kinds of mental problems it can signal

When i read this question. i can straightforward eliminate A. What's 'they' referring too. It's social ineractions or psychiatrists. Both doesn't fit into the meaning of the sentence. Eliminate A,B and C. I eliminate D because it's in passive voice and because we have E which is written in active voice without any grammatical error. Hence i pick E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
saikarthikreddy wrote:
While recognizing that lying often facilitates social ineractions,psychiatrists are seeking to determine when they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal.

Can someone explain the difference between D and E. I cannot see any fault with D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Just because D is in a passive voice does not automatically eliminate it. Does anyone else have any explanation why D is incorrect? The answers above have not sufficiently explained why D is incorrect.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
neojoker wrote:
Just because D is in a passive voice does not automatically eliminate it. Does anyone else have any explanation why D is incorrect? The answers above have not sufficiently explained why D is incorrect.

Yes, passive voice DOES make it incorrect. Passive voice alone does NOT eliminate an answer choice, but when it tires to sit parallely with an active voice, it surely is wrong.

Have you read EducationAisle 's post above?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [4]
Given Kudos: 260
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
saikarthikreddy wrote:

Subject-Verb Agreement, Parallelism

'lying' is the reasonable subject for 'become destructive', so the pronoun should be 'it' and verb should be 'becomes'.
Further, the two items that psychiatrists are seeking to determine should be stated in parallel structures.

a. they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal

'the mental problems' is not parallel to 'when they become'

Also the inversion in the second part is not necessary.

second part is not parallel to 'when it becomes destructive'

e.it becomes destructive and which kinds of mental problems it can signal Correct!

pronouns and verb agree with 'lying'. Also, 'when it becomes ...' is parallel to 'which kinds of ...'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 213
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I have a quick question about the official explanation

It says that E is correct because parallelism and that 'which' is an interrogative pronoun that is parallel with When.

Is When and Which both parallel elements? I did not think When was interrogative.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
GMATDemiGod wrote:
I have a quick question about the official explanation

It says that E is correct because parallelism and that 'which' is an interrogative pronoun that is parallel with When.

Is When and Which both parallel elements? I did not think When was interrogative.

This surely does not debate about when and which are interrogative pronouns or not.

Sentence strictly demands two parallel structure.

[1] : <when>< lying> <becomes destructive> ; structure <question> <noun> < verb>
and
[2] : <which kinds of mental problems> <lying> <can signal>
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM

The subject is lying and the verbs refering to it is 'it' while the choices that refers to it as 'they' are incorrectly refering to interactions so we eliminate A,B abd C.
Option D is distorting the intended meaning of the sentence and thus is eliminated.We are left with ption E which is the correct free of grammatical errors and if conveying the correct meaning of the sentence.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
I thought that which had to refer to the word directly in front of it...I guess i misinterpreted that rule? I wanted to pick E based off of what sounds best... but I went with D b/c of what I guess is a misunderstood rule associated with "which"
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I thought that which had to refer to the word directly in front of it...I guess i misinterpreted that rule? I wanted to pick E based off of what sounds best... but I went with D b/c of what I guess is a misunderstood rule associated with "which"
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
It cannot be D because of lack of parallelism and use of passive voice (to be avoided in GMAT).
So the clear answer is E, which rectify both these issues.

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
How does lying becomes a subject here. Social interactions can perfectly be subject here. Experts please explain
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ankujgupta , I am not an expert, but the following has helped me improve my SC score dramatically. While it is so important to look at rules (ex: parallelism, comma structure, etc.), I would argue that it is more important to ask yourself, "does this make sense?" EX: "does it make more sense that social interaction could become destructive and cause mental problems, or does it make more sense that lying could become destructive and cause mental problems?" Lying=Bad, so I'm going to go with lying as the subject.... if this doesn't make sense, reverse the structure: "psychiatrists are seeking to determine when they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal, while recognizing that lying often facilitates social interactions" that generally helps me to identify what is wrong with structure.....automatically, i am thinking lying has to be the subject, when i reverse struct....If that doesn't jump out to you, here is an explanation: the word after "that" is the subject b/c social interactions will not facilitate lying, but lying might facilitate/make it easier to have social interactions.

Not sure if that makes sense, but I thought I'd share the "aha" moment for me.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts