Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [11]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing
WE:Marketing (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants:(2016 Intake) Class of 2018! [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi all,

I'm a first year (soon to be second year? Yikes, time flies...) McCombs FT MBA student and wanted to pass along this information on our summer coffee chats. These events are a great way to talk to first year McCombs MBAs like myself who are interning at various companies around the country. These meetings take place in various cities in the United States, offering an informal way to connect to the Texas MBA. We encourage you to take the opportunity to engage with a current student in a candid conversation about the program, asking any questions you may have about academics, student life at McCombs, or Austin, Texas.

https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/MBA/Full- ... Off-Campus
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Calling all McCombs(UT Austin) Applicants:(2016 Intake) Class of 2018! [#permalink]
Hello,

I'm your usual clichéd techie from Bangalore. Looking to apply to McCombs this year.
I was wondering how does McCombs look at Entrepreneurs, especially those who are quite recent (i.e. I resigned from my job in March and have started a tech based company).
I have a good profile (honestly, not trying to show off). Besides the normal run off the mills job in a product company many Indians do, I have 5.5 years of experience, 5 patent applications and I was a former National level Tennis player. But I am unsure how schools look at international tech Entrepreneurs. Austin would be a great start to join a tech based accelrator and expand my company, but how does the school view us?

Any input would help!

Thanks,
Varun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
In general, McCombs does look very closely at entrepreneurs. We have an entire fellows program (Texas Venture Labs) that looks to increase and foster entrepreneurship at McCombs. Along with that, Austin's start-up scene is fantastic with numerous opportunities to work alongside and for startups that are in various stages of growth and maturity.

More than that though, McCombs strongly prefers candidates that can clearly and strongly elucidate why they want to be at McCombs and how they can add to the unique culture that we have. As long as you have a clear and convincing story, along with your great stats, you'll have every opportunity to show the admissions committee why they should offer you a spot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
SchrodingersCat wrote:
In general, McCombs does look very closely at entrepreneurs. We have an entire fellows program (Texas Venture Labs) that looks to increase and foster entrepreneurship at McCombs. Along with that, Austin's start-up scene is fantastic with numerous opportunities to work alongside and for startups that are in various stages of growth and maturity.

More than that though, McCombs strongly prefers candidates that can clearly and strongly elucidate why they want to be at McCombs and how they can add to the unique culture that we have. As long as you have a clear and convincing story, along with your great stats, you'll have every opportunity to show the admissions committee why they should offer you a spot.

Thanks Schrodinger! :-)
That was helpful!

But my apprehension was on the point of view of being an international applicant. Especially when it comes to Visas/work permits. Yes, the school does have a strong tech outlook and a great history at that, and there is the city of Austin to boot, but do you see issues for international entrepreneurs?

Varun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
varunshetty1 wrote:
SchrodingersCat wrote:

Thanks Schrodinger! :-)
That was helpful!

But my apprehension was on the point of view of being an international applicant. Especially when it comes to Visas/work permits. Yes, the school does have a strong tech outlook and a great history at that, and there is the city of Austin to boot, but do you see issues for international entrepreneurs?

Varun

At any US business schools visas / work permits are going to be a little strenuous for any international applicant looking to get into entrepreneurship here in the states. I'm not sure what McCombs has in place to offset that, though. I do know that several of my classmates from international backgrounds were able to find ways to work on their startups over the summer. I'd reach out to TexasMBA@mccombs.utexas.edu to get a more detailed response on your question.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks

The Texas MBA Insider blog at UT McCombs School of Business recently posted tips for applicants wondering what is the best way to approach this year’s updated MBA essay prompts. Although the advice is specific to the questions asked at McCombs, we feel that these suggestions will work for you no matter where you’re applying.

With that in mind, here’s a rundown of things the Texas MBA program suggests you think about before starting on your application essays:
  • First impressions are important in person and are equally important in an admissions application.
  • What makes you interesting and unique are both your personal and professional interests and attributes. Give a rounded mix, so that AdCom better understands who you are in a more complete sense.
  • Convey your passion, excitement, personality, and experience, while also addressing how that experience relates to your MBA and career goals.
  • Meditate on “how do I love McCombs, let me count the ways,” and write a list of your top reasons why McCombs is total MBA perfection.
  • Clearly connect how McCombs will help you achieve your career objectives and personal goals.  Create a 5 and 10 year plan for yourself, then see what classes, organizations, and experiential opportunities specifically relate to this career plan.
  • In what ways will you contribute?  How will you give back while you are there? How can you leverage the program offerings and combine it with your skill set to propel the entire program forward.
  • In any submission, just be yourself have fun with it.
  • And last but not least, don’t reuse essays from other schools (the McCombs’s admission team says they can totally tell)!

Remember, avoid any attempt to manufacture a memorable impression. Simply by allowing your individual personality to shine through, you’ll be able to differentiate yourself from the rest of the applicant pool. Good luck!
You may also be interested in:
UT McCombs 2015-2016 MBA Application Essays

UT McCombs 2015-2016 Application Deadlines

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Any current student/alumn with some perspective on international applicants?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM

A great many MBA programs now accept the GRE as an alternative to the GMAT as an entrance requirement, but applicants may still wonder whether business schools truly view both equally. If you find yourself on the fence about which exam to take, the recent post, Which Test is Best?, on the Texas MBA Insider blog at UT McCombs School of Business should be required reading.

Kimberly Jones, author of the article, makes a strong case for making the choice between the GMAT and GRE based on your career and degree goals,  as well as your more personal perception of both tests’ reputations.

For instance, consulting and investment banking companies use the GMAT score as a baseline qualifier for the recruiting process, Jones explains.

“If Consulting or I-Banking are in your sights, this means that the GMAT is the best choice because you could take it once and use your score for both your Admissions application as well as your career recruitment profile.”

However, there are many cases where applicants, particularly those targeting a dual degree, coming from a humanities background, or applying to both business school and other graduate programs, will benefit from going with the GRE instead.

For MBA candidates with career aspirations outside of banking and consulting, the choice may boil down to perception. As Jones points out, companies that hire MBAs are very familiar with the score scale of the GMAT but may need clarification regarding how GRE scores compare.

“MBA Admissions Officers are also new to the GRE setting,” Jones says. “However, many of us have worked with the test and have recruited amazing candidates to our programs since we started accepting it a few years ago and are more comfortable assessing verbal and quantitative skill sets based on those scores.”

As MBA admissions consultants, we generally advise clients to go for the GMAT exam. After all, the GMAT has long been considered the gold standard for the specific academic skills needed in graduate business school, and therefore the admissions committees’ level of familiarity with it compared to the GRE is still nowhere near equal.

If you are a great test-taker and it’s all the same to you, I would stick with GMAT for now. It’s more of a known entity and “tried and true” for the schools—no questions asked about why you chose it.
You may also be interested in:
Applicants Overwhelming Favor GMAT Over GRE, Kaplan Survey Reveals

HBS Admissions Director Talks GMAT/GRE Scores

GRE vs. GMAT, Which Test is Right for You?

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,
I am Mechanical engineer working with the PM function of a major automobile company in India for 2 years now. i plan to apply for MBA in this year for admission in 2016. My profile is as follows:
GMAT : Q50,V41,760..IR-5
Academics: Xth: 91.2 %, XIIth: 86.5 %, Grad: 8.6/10
Have been working with the PM department of R&D of a major automobile company. Have managed a number of projects in a number of phases, have plenty to talk about in this regard.
Extra Curricular: Have received awards and scholarships in many national level quiz competitions whilst in school. Took on a number of technical research projects during mechanical engineering, have been volunteering with a local group in Pune.
I was planning to apply for McCombs for the 2016-2018 program. I aim to get into mangement consultancy after my MBA. I've heard that generally these companies look for relatively fresher faces. In that regard is it the right time for me to apply to McCombs right now? Are there any students who are doing their MBA with 3 yrs of work ex? How good/bad do they have it?
Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: From Texas MBA Admissions: Application Tips & Tricks
the Texas MBA program, we offer you two options for submitting the recommendation for your Texas MBA application.[/*]
[/list]
      • Send a recommendation request via our admissions management system
      • Utilize the recommendation function within LinkedIn
A couple helpful hints:

• Complete this part of your application first. This will launch email notifications to your recommenders and allow them to get started on the form while you’re working on the other components of your application.
        • Contact your recommenders ASAP to let them know they should receive an email as soon as you save the section. Sometimes these emails end up in a junk folder since they come from a generic Texas MBA email address.
        • Monitor the status of your recommendations on your “My Status” page to ensure they’re completed within a reasonable amount of time and by the deadline. You can resend notifications from within the application as needed.
Read More: Application Recommendations & References: Providing an Austin Twist

4. Test Scores – As long as you’ve taken the test and have made the request to have official score sent to UT by the round deadline, your application will be considered “on time”. During the admissions process we sync what you reported in the application with what’s received by UT. It can take several weeks for your official score to be received by the university, and the one-stop status check in your application marks this item complete once it arrives.

If you’ve decided to retake the exam after you’ve submitted your application, please notify the appropriate program as soon as you have your score. Please note there is no guarantee that your updated test score(s) will be considered in the evaluation of your candidacy, as this depends on when the McCombs Admissions Committee receives the update from you. Again, it’ll take several weeks for the official score to reach UT, but be sure you’ve made the request to have the updated score sent.

If you’re applying to multiple programs at McCombs, you don’t need to send separate scores to each program. UT has a central repository for official scores that all departments can access.

5. Application Fee – You will not be able to pay the application fee for about two business days after you hit the submit button, depending on when you submit your application. Your application is considered “on time” if submitted by the deadline, regardless if the fee is paid on that date. However your application will not be evaluated if you do not pay the fee once it’s due. For information about where to pay the fee, and application fee waivers for select applicants, please review After Applying under the Admissions Process section of the website.

Feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions!

Hook ‘em!

You Might Also Like:

Advice On Leaving Your Job

How To Crush Your Interview
Full-Time MBA vs. Part-Time MBA

Write A Successful Application Essay

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi McCombs Applicant!

I just finished an analysis of McCombs acceptance rates, looking at how GMAT, GPA and application round affects your chance. Check it out if you are interested.

Good luck with your application!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: Which Round Should I Apply? Advice on When To Hit Submit

At first thought, you might stick with tried and true “early bird gets the worm” strategy. You might be tempted to think about the applicant pool in terms of pure numbers and assume that the best chance of your application being ruled upon favorably is to submit when the maximum amount of spots are available. But there’s a caveat – you should NEVER rush to submit your MBA application.

Imagine this: You’ve heard that applying in Round 1 gives you a better likelihood of getting accepted so you skip taking a formal GMAT prep class, take the test and end up with a score you aren’t exactly thrilled with. In this case, submitting in Round 1 might not be a great idea, especially if you know that you can improve your score. Waiting to apply until all aspects of your application are strong is the best approach.

…BUT LATER IS OKAY TOO:
There is a reason we have three rounds. If we filled up the class in Round 1, the admissions committee could just kick back for the rest of the year on a beach somewhere and sip fruity beverages with frilly umbrellas. But that’s not the reality, as many strong applicants apply in later rounds. So if you read the above “Earlier Is Better” and thought that it means final round folks don’t have a fighting chance, or at the very least have a much smaller chance of getting in, it is not exactly black and white. The truth is that a strong application will stand out in any round, anytime. Remember that if you scramble to throw together your essay to get in your application by the first deadline, how can the admissions committee know that normally you are an eloquent and concise writer if what you’ve written doesn’t reflect that?

SOME DON’TS:
We are committed to courteous and fair consideration for all applicants, and therefore, there are a few things we just can’t allow when it comes to the timing of your application submission. Obviously, we are not able to accept applications submitted after 11:59pm CT on the day of the deadline. That’s just not fair to those who made sure to meet the deadline. Also, we aren’t able to look at any “works in progress” before the deadline, meaning we can’t read drafts of your essays, give feedback on your resume and work experience, or tell you who should write your letters of recommendation. The purpose of these policies is to ensure that everyone has a fair shot and is considered by the admissions committee on even ground. Check out our website for more common admissions questions.

So remember; if your application couldn’t possibly smell any sweeter, submit in Round 1. But if you aren’t ready yet (you need to retake your GMAT/GRE, rework your essay or wait for that promotion at work to come through), don’t risk it – wait until you’re 100% confident in your application before hitting the “Submit” button.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: What’s the Best Way to Get to Know the Texas MBA Program? Attend an Event!

The top-ranked Texas MBA program offers a prestigious degree from acclaimed McCombs School of Business faculty across six programs in four cities.

We strongly encourage you to check out our many events happening this fallso you can learn more about the value proposition of an MBA and how the Texas MBA program can unlock your full potential.

Get to know current students, alumni, and admissions staff at an event near you. A few of the events coming up soon are below, so register now! If you have any questions, please send us an email.

Texas Full-Time MBA Program

Information Session | September 18th in Austin

Texas MBA Special Info Sessions

October 1st in Oklahoma City

October 1st in New Orleans

Texas MBA at Dallas/Fort Worth Program

Lunch and Learn | October 3rd in Dallas

Texas MBA Programs

Information Session | October 6th in Houston

Texas Executive MBA Program

Lunch and Learn | October 17th in Austin

We look forward to seeing you soon! Hook ‘em!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM